PDA

View Full Version : How long is your ideal holiday?

Miffy2003
11-26-2005, 04:46 AM
Thread inspired by Elaine (Ware Bears)!

How long would your ideal holiday be to Florida? Are you happy with two weeks, and glad to return home at the end or are you always left wanting more?

Miffy2003
11-26-2005, 04:50 AM
We have been for 2 weeks a couple of times but the last two trips we have been lucky enough to go for 3 weeks and 3 and a half weeks.

The downside to this is having less annual leave throughout the rest of the year ;) but it is so worth it for me to have that lovely long break :)

Call me greedy, but one day I would like to have a career break and stay out there for an entire summer holiday :)

wilma-bride
11-26-2005, 05:15 AM
We have been for 2 weeks and 1 week. 1 week is definitely not long enough! I would certainly love to be able to go for 3 weeks or longer.

The plan is to buy property out there when DH retires (still 15 years to go though) and then spend our summers out there, with various family members visiting throughout :goodvibes

susan1
11-26-2005, 05:24 AM
hi
we have budgeted and are going for 8 weeks . all of jan and feb. not staying anywhere fancy and we will be using the annual pass we bought in june. we do have the added interest of playing lawn green bowls. believe it or not there is a very english type bowls club frequented by mainly canadian snow birds, who invited us back this yesr after we had played a couple of games there during our short stay last jan. not everybody's cup of tea but we just can't wait. they are so friendly :cheer2: :cheer2:

wicket2005
11-26-2005, 05:45 AM
Ideally 3 weeks. We had one 3 week holiday in 1998 and were able to fit in a lot more relaxing days as it is now there is so much to fit into 2 weeks.

Claire L
11-26-2005, 05:46 AM
We have now done 2 three weeks holidays a 2 week holiday and 12 nights. 3 weeks is a lovely length to relax and get everything done at a leisurely pace, but more would be nice :teeth: 2 weeks was a holiday we didn't expect to get, so that was nice. The 12 night holiday was last year when we took DMIL as a surprise, the holiday was initially 4 nights to New York but then that changed when we thought how much she would love Florida and seeing the dolphins :D We managed to do everyhting we wanted to do in the 12 nights so it was good for a shortish break :)
Claire ;)

eyoreaud
11-26-2005, 05:48 AM
:) Great Thread!, Iwould like to go and stay over there, if we had jobs all lined up or a small buisiness then i wouldn't hesitate!!!! So guess what i voted for? ;)

Audrey

Cyrano
11-26-2005, 05:55 AM
Even though we have never been I went for 3 weeks, since we are thinking we'll need some down time :)

michelle8671
11-26-2005, 06:18 AM
Wherever I go on holiday I think you need at least 2 weeks to appreciate and visit as much as yoou can. :banana:
In saying that after a week I start worrying about my animals / pets and missing them like crazy. I phone or text home every day to make sure they are all ok. :sad2:

Scottish-Helen
11-26-2005, 06:42 AM
For some reason I only seem to go away for a week at a time (I like to go to lots of different places in the year) so next year I'm going to Florida for 2 weeks for the first time. I think that will be ideal for me, I wouldn't like to be away for any longer not even in Florida.

KayleeUK
11-26-2005, 08:17 AM
2 weeks for me. We are going for 18 day's next year......it may just be too long ......

steve_rob
11-26-2005, 08:25 AM
My very first time we went for two weeks and we JUST managed to get everything we wanted to done, but we crammed like crazy and I got back more tired than when I left!

Ever since we've gone for 16 or 17 nights and having a rest day here and there has made a big difference. Ideally though, three weeks would be my perfect break.

Ware Bears
11-26-2005, 10:49 AM
Thread inspired by Elaine (Ware Bears)!

Fame at last!!! :rotfl:

Three weeks for us.
We have only been the once and went for 2 weeks. Although it was long enough for us, we have decided to go for 3 weeks next time. I would love to go for longer but probably never will because I find it hard enough leaving my dogs as it is, and the kennel fees would probably end up costing more than our flights! :)

Pootle
11-26-2005, 10:52 AM
Seems I'm the only one (so far) to vote for less than 2 weeks.

I'm fortunate to take many holidays and trips abroad these days, but no matter where, or for how long, after about 10-12 days, thoughts turn to home, friends, cats, tea, Terry Wogan, Radio 4, Corrie ..... you name it :)

Susan1's plan of 8 weeks in winter sounds good - and something I'd vaguely thought we might do when DH retires - but in reality I wonder if I could last that long in one stretch. This year I have done 7 weeks in the USA, but as 4 trips - all less than 2 weeks each.

Strommie
11-26-2005, 11:25 AM
The last couple of times we have been, we went for 3 weeks and it was the perfect length of time for us to do everything we wanted to do, and also have lots of relaxing days as well :sunny:

susan1
11-26-2005, 12:47 PM
hi pootle,
we have been going away in winter for long stay holidays for a few years now. usually cyprus. i think the mindset is different. you go and live there as opposed to holidaying. it helps if you have a hobby to pursue. the friends we went to cyprus with were ardent hikers and thouroughly enjoyed the available walks. i'm not sure if i could just go for any lenght of time just to tour round and vsit the parks. it is great being semi retired!!
:cool1:

wayneg
11-26-2005, 03:38 PM
We go for 3 weeks a time but it is never enough so next Aug we have added it to Bank Holiday so gives us 25 nights. Still won't be enough. Depends on your commitments at home. We are lucky we have jobs where we can take 6 or 7 weeks a year.

jtlover
11-26-2005, 05:03 PM
A week at a time is enough for me, probably max 10 days. Although I have been 4 times it is an exhausting place and I go home to recover!

maggs
11-26-2005, 05:19 PM
We always go for 17 days. I dont know why but it seems just right!

Maggs

squitty
11-26-2005, 06:06 PM
We've been for 1, 2, 3 and 4 weeks. Would go away for longer but we couldn't stand to be away from the dogs.;)
I loved spending 4 weeks, but took us sometime to get back to normal.

2 weeks a couple of times each year would suit me:)

Cochise
11-26-2005, 07:31 PM
3 weeks was perfect. It is the first holiday i remember that I didnt want to come home yet i wasnt disappointed to be going home. That makes it a perfect length.

Rain
11-27-2005, 02:39 AM
3 weeks or longer would be ideal. Like a previous poster if I had more annual leave we would stay longer than our usual 2 weeks. I just need more than one hol a year so 2 weeks at a time is my lot

shellbell
11-27-2005, 03:01 AM
This year we did 2 weeks in Orlando and 1 week on the gulf coast, we found 2 week at disney just wasn't long enough. Next year we are doing 2 weeks in POP and then a week in a private villa in Orange tree, which means we still get to relax but we can also go back to disney if we want to. We would also love to go for longer than 3 weeks but again its down to annual leave. DH would love to move out there altogther :)

TinkTatoo
11-27-2005, 03:39 AM
We did 4 weeks this year and it was great we felt we really relaxed and didn't feel under pressure to do things, when we stayed on site we spent the mornings chillin round the pool and the afternoons / evenings in the parks.

Next year we are going for 4 weeks again with 2+ weeks in a private villa 9 nights at OKW and finishing up with 4 nights at Vero Beach.

JohnnySharp2
11-27-2005, 05:18 AM
From next August onwards it's 3 weeks for us - went twice this year in March and August 2 weeks both times, but with the long flights etc would prefer to go once but for longer.
Especially with the school holidays.

Frances999
11-27-2005, 05:25 AM
Although I think to myself "the longer the better" I think I would start missing home after anything more than three weeks. We have only been to Florida for two weeks, but are planning to go to the West Coast USA next summer for three - I don't think I could stay away from home for any more. :)

Goofyish
11-27-2005, 05:50 AM
I think the longest I would really want to be in Orlando would be 3 weeks, but then have multiple holidays to get the best out of all the special events throughout the year :)

cheryl.UK
11-27-2005, 10:24 AM
It has to be 3 weeks or more for us. We sometimes go for just 2 weeks at Easter but it always seems rushed. Just can't get enough in. When we go for 3 we seem to relax and enjoy it more. Looking to try to book 3 weeks this July/August.

One of the best things about being a teacher is the long summer break.
The worst thing is we always have to pay top dollar.
There are a few companies who give discounts to parents who book in school holiday times. But a teacher with no kids gets no discount. Hmm. Something wrong there. :confused3

JohnnySharp2
11-27-2005, 10:29 AM
One of the best things about being a teacher is the long summer break.
The worst thing is we always have to pay top dollar.
There are a few companies who give discounts to parents who book in school holiday times. But a teacher with no kids gets no discount. Hmm. Something wrong there. :confused3

We are stuck with August too now - although we are going for 3 weeks - my wife is a teacher too and with my son at school it's the only time we can go now.
The fly-drive prices are ridiculous.

At least mid August onwards the parks are fairly quiet.

Merylj
11-27-2005, 10:49 AM
hi
we have budgeted and are going for 8 weeks . all of jan and feb. not staying anywhere fancy and we will be using the annual pass we bought in june. we do have the added interest of playing lawn green bowls. believe it or not there is a very english type bowls club frequented by mainly canadian snow birds, who invited us back this yesr after we had played a couple of games there during our short stay last jan. not everybody's cup of tea but we just can't wait. they are so friendly :cheer2: :cheer2:
That`s a really great idea I would love to do that. What a great way to experience all Florida has to offer as we never get out of the parks.
Our last trip was 13 days and before that 10 days. Both were fine. For me it would depend who was with us, I don`t like to be away from my daughter (or the cat!) for too long.

ely3857
11-27-2005, 12:18 PM
Even though we have never been I went for 3 weeks, since we are thinking we'll need some down time :)

Snap!

I have never been anywhere for 3 weeks but for a WDW trip it just sounds like the perfect timescale.

Wouldnt nessesarily buy any more park tickets as I think the extra time would just be used for relaxing.

:flower:

Jodie

Verity Chambers
11-27-2005, 12:25 PM
I've voted for three weeks, although I've never actually done it!! It would be great just to have that little extra time to actually relax. We usually spend almost 2 whole weeks just on theme parks and water parks.

TinkTatoo
11-27-2005, 01:20 PM
............but then have multiple holidays to get the best out of all the special events throughout the year :)

We'd love to do this but DD is such a bad flyer (she gets sick while we are still on the stand :confused3 ) That's why we go for so long in the summer - so she doesn't have to think about the return flight for a long time.

Roll on 2015 when we might be able to leave them at home while we go to MVMCP, MNSSHP, the food and wine festival and all the other things we would love to see :sunny:

Cinderella
11-28-2005, 12:17 AM
I voted two weeks, because i am self employed and never been able to take more than a week in the last five years. But my trip in december am going for two weeks and can't wait. Still worried that everyone will manage when i'm gone tho!

Would love to go three or four weeks - maybe that can be my next goal!

cazzie
11-28-2005, 03:04 AM
I voted for 2 weeks as I don't think I could leave my dog for any longer than that plus it takes too much leave from work at once. I enjoyed doing what we did this year going to 2 weeks in April and then another 2 weeks in September. :)

edenlee
11-28-2005, 03:44 AM
We alwasy stay for a month - we figure that after the long flight we need 2 or 3 days to "come round" and then we enjoy the fact that we can do a park one day and a rest the next - just enough for us

wayneg
11-28-2005, 04:31 AM
I voted two weeks, because i am self employed and never been able to take more than a week in the last five years. But my trip in december am going for two weeks and can't wait. Still worried that everyone will manage when i'm gone tho!

Would love to go three or four weeks - maybe that can be my next goal!

I am self employed and for years worked for very few holidays. I then started loosing school friends and relatives thru car and bike accidents as well as neighbours thru Illness.
I am a florist so I see death every day of all ages (a lot young) Finally my Mum passed away aged 59 a few months away from retirement.
I now close my business 6-7 weeks a year, it is still there when I get back as busy as ever.
Life is too short, if at all possible take holidays (especially if you have children)
I know all businesses are different but if you have good staff trust them.

pixiepower04
11-28-2005, 06:07 AM
We went for three weeks over Christmas last year and thank god we did as I contracted Viral Meningitis :rotfl2: on the 22nd December and was in hospital for a week. I missed Christmas completely and came out 5 days before we were due to come home!!

It took 2 full days to get me out of the wheelchair with that in mind and the fear of getting ill again, we will be going back for another 3 weeks in 2007.

When I first came back I was completely turned off Florida, I just couldn't bear the thought of going back but after a few months I got the bug again. I definitely have "unfinished business" there so I highly recommend three weeks or more.

Kind regards

Paula-Jane :cheer2:

angel659
11-28-2005, 06:09 AM
Hi

I would love to go for 3 weeks, we are planning to go away in March however I am thinking if we go for 3 weeks May maybe better due to one weeks school leave in May, so Casey would only miss 2 weeks school time. If I could stay longer it would be great.

I am studying at the mo to become a qualified nurse so I would love it if I could move out there. Hopefully becoming qualified will give me a visa?

musketeer
11-28-2005, 06:42 AM
We've only ever been for 2 wks but we would love to go for 3 weeks.
We have just come back, we didn't have as many rest days and it felt like we crammed everything in, we came back more tired than the last trip.

disneyholic family
12-05-2005, 01:20 AM
a holiday in WDW could never be too long....our longest visit to WDW was 24 days and even that seemed too short....

the only downside is missing our dog........even though she's in an amazing 5 star-plus kennel while we're away, we miss her like crazy....but other than that, i don't think there's an upper limit to how long we could be at WDW and still enjoy it....

JohnnySharp2
12-05-2005, 01:49 AM
3 weeks is ideal for us, especially as we are going in the school holidays when the fly-drive prices are very high.

We do not concentrate on WDW though, I guess being lucky enough to go every year we can relax a bit and just do the parks when we fancy, mainly to ensure Joshua has a good time and gets on his favourite rides.
Love Universal Studios also.

Want to get back to our old routine on our holiday next year and travel a bit more, going back to Fort Lauderdale and Miami for a few days - so 3 weeks suits us fine.

disneyholic family
12-05-2005, 02:35 AM
3 weeks is ideal for us, especially as we are going in the school holidays when the fly-drive prices are very high.

We do not concentrate on WDW though, I guess being lucky enough to go every year we can relax a bit and just do the parks when we fancy, mainly to ensure Joshua has a good time and gets on his favourite rides.
Love Universal Studios also.

Want to get back to our old routine on our holiday next year and travel a bit more, going back to Fort Lauderdale and Miami for a few days - so 3 weeks suits us fine.

we don't just do the parks when we're at WDW....we bike, boat, fish, swim, etc etc....
the only reason we go to florida is for WDW....for other types of holidays we go elsewhere......i've never been a florida fan.....

other types of holidays have a much much much shorter ideal length than a WDW holiday...5 days in New York, Chicago, London, Paris, etc. is just about perfect (to sightsee, see a few shows and enjoy some amazing restaurants)......

for the pure relaxation type holiday of doing absolutely nothing at all - a week seems to be perfect for us....
we had one of those 3 weeks ago.....
DS spent the week scuba diving amongst the corals with wild dolphins...
DH (who of course spent much of the time on his laptop working as he always does) was just happy to be with us...
DD swam in the sea.....played with the dolphins....or sat on the beach in the sun, reading a book....
and I mostly just sat on the beach (with DD though i was always in the shade), just doing nothing at all but sitting and watching the very few people around us.....the dolphins.....the sea......the occasional boat.....the desert mountains in the background.....and the perfect cloudless blue sky overhead...........paradise...

but the question was about WDW....and that could be endless as far as i'm concerned...
actually....now that i think about it.....the holiday in paradise described above could go on forever as well....

JohnnySharp2
12-05-2005, 02:52 AM
we don't just do the parks when we're at WDW....we bike, boat, fish, swim, etc etc....
the only reason we go to florida is for WDW....for other types of holidays we go elsewhere......i've never been a florida fan.....

other types of holidays have a much much much shorter ideal length than a WDW holiday...5 days in New York, Chicago, London, Paris, etc. is just about perfect (to sightsee, see a few shows and enjoy some amazing restaurants)......

for the pure relaxation type holiday of doing absolutely nothing at all - a week seems to be perfect for us....
we had one of those 3 weeks ago.....
DS spent the week scuba diving amongst the corals with wild dolphins...
DH (who of course spent much of the time on his laptop working as he always does) was just happy to be with us...
DD swam in the sea.....played with the dolphins....or sat on the beach in the sun, reading a book....
and I mostly just sat on the beach (with DD though i was always in the shade), just doing nothing at all but sitting and watching the very few people around us.....the dolphins.....the sea......the occasional boat.....the desert mountains in the background.....and the perfect cloudless blue sky overhead...........paradise...

but the question was about WDW....and that could be endless as far as i'm concerned...
actually....now that i think about it.....the holiday in paradise described above could go on forever as well....

We DO love WDW and would never have been to Florida otherwise, Disney is what first got us hooked really...before Joshua was born we used to do a 2 centre Orlando 1 week and then another location for the second week, and have been to Naples/Sarasota/Fort Lauderdale/Boca/Key West and Miami.

We have always been reluctant to take Josh away from the fun of the parks so to speak, although I think we took him to Naples/Sarasota when he was very young..but now he enjoys the parks (both WDW and Universal) so much , plus relaxing at the villa playing in the pool etc we have always stayed in the Orlando area.

Going for 3 weeks from now on though means we have the chance to move around a bit more - really do not fancy 3 weeks in Orlando anyway - so we are going to Fort Lauderdale/Palm Beach and Miami for 4 nights - staying in FL...have a portable DVD player which will keep Josh happy on the long journey's :)

disneyholic family
12-05-2005, 06:08 AM
We have always been reluctant to take Josh away from the fun of the parks so to speak, although I think we took him to Naples/Sarasota when he was very young..but now he enjoys the parks (both WDW and Universal) so much , plus relaxing at the villa playing in the pool etc we have always stayed in the Orlando area.

as you know i'm clueless about autism, but i would think that being on a nice quiet beach (the deserted kind, not the wild spring break kind) would be nice for Joshua....or is there such a thing as too quiet?....although a beach isn't ever really too quiet....what with watching the waves and building sand castles with dad and stuff like that....
one of the few places in florida i actually liked was the beach in Pensacola (up in the florida panhandle on the gulf coast)......with lovely white sand beaches without hordes of people....unfortunately pensacola's a bit off the beaten track (unless you happen to be visiting the naval air station there -- home of the blue angels.... :) )....

cannp123165
12-05-2005, 08:33 AM
Next year I am going for 2 weeks. The past 2 times I have been we have been for 10 days. To tell the truth though, I could stay there forever.

:earsboy: .

JohnnySharp2
12-05-2005, 09:04 AM
as you know i'm clueless about autism, but i would think that being on a nice quiet beach (the deserted kind, not the wild spring break kind) would be nice for Joshua....or is there such a thing as too quiet?....although a beach isn't ever really too quiet....what with watching the waves and building sand castles with dad and stuff like that....
one of the few places in florida i actually liked was the beach in Pensacola (up in the florida panhandle on the gulf coast)......with lovely white sand beaches without hordes of people....unfortunately pensacola's a bit off the beaten track (unless you happen to be visiting the naval air station there -- home of the blue angels.... :) )....

We are looking forward to taking Joshua on a nice beach - we always plan to go to Clearwater but somehow always change our plans..but yes I think he would love a beach, however, not sure if he could manage all day without watching some TV! we take about 20 US format video tapes and DVDs with us (for our relaxing days)..Autism is very varied and complicated , no-one can really claim to fully understand it I do not think.

Josh is a lovely/happy/mobile playful boy - so in many ways we are lucky ;)

disneyholic family
12-05-2005, 12:29 PM
We are looking forward to taking Joshua on a nice beach - we always plan to go to Clearwater but somehow always change our plans..but yes I think he would love a beach, however, not sure if he could manage all day without watching some TV! we take about 20 US format video tapes and DVDs with us (for our relaxing days)..Autism is very varied and complicated , no-one can really claim to fully understand it I do not think.

Josh is a lovely/happy/mobile playful boy - so in many ways we are lucky ;)

i just looked up clearwater....it looks really nice.....
you could use one of those portable DVD things to watch tv on the beach....

TinkTatoo
12-06-2005, 03:37 AM
as you know i'm clueless about autism, but i would think that being on a nice quiet beach (the deserted kind, not the wild spring break kind) would be nice for Joshua...........

Our two absolutely love the beach - they can spend all day alternating between the sand, the sea, the pool and back to the sand again. DH loves it as well - it reminds him of his childhood holidays

We are looking forward to taking Joshua on a nice beach - we always plan to go to Clearwater but somehow always change our plans..but yes I think he would love a beach, however, not sure if he could manage all day without watching some TV! we take about 20 US format video tapes and DVDs with us.....

You should try Disney's Vero Beach - its a lovely resort with the pool just a few steps from the ocean and when we were there in the summer the beach was not crowded at all. They have a very good set up for kids and of course the Disney channel in the room plus every movie Disney ever made for hire in the shop (they are free for DVC members but not sure of the cost for non members)

We weren't sure how our two would cope so we went for 2 nights just to see. They loved it so much we are going for 4 night next year and it is now a firm part of our Florida holidays

JohnnySharp2
12-06-2005, 03:53 AM
You should try Disney's Vero Beach - its a lovely resort with the pool just a few steps from the ocean and when we were there in the summer the beach was not crowded at all. They have a very good set up for kids and of course the Disney channel in the room plus every movie Disney ever made for hire in the shop (they are free for DVC members but not sure of the cost for non members)

Yes we have considered it - not actually booked anywhere yet but definitely want to go back to Fort Lauderdale and a have a Miami shopping trip - we had our honeymoon in Miami, so it would be interesting to see how it has changed.

Kilted_Yank
12-06-2005, 06:54 AM
Anything less than two weeks and I feel cheated.

Believe me, coming back to Washington, DC after 2 weeks at WDW is reallllly painful.