PDA

View Full Version : Where do you most look forward to eating.....

eyoreaud
11-23-2005, 05:06 AM
:) On your first night in Orlando? I'm trying to decide but there's sooo much choice!

Any thoughts???

Thanx, Audrey ::MinnieMo

maggs
11-23-2005, 05:13 AM
We dont usually have anything more than a snack having eaten on the plane. This time we are thinking of heading down to Downtown Disney for a sandwich at the Earl of Sandwich.

Maggs

patdavies
11-23-2005, 05:30 AM
Whenever we go to the States, we look forward to an early meal at Denny's.

I know that it is not upmarket, but to us it is part of being in the US and also illustrates just what Little Chef should have been.

gilld
11-23-2005, 05:39 AM
Having had breakfast at the Clubhouse, lunch and a snack on the aircraft, we just have a drink and maybe an ice cream, fruit or bag of crisps - anything else would be too much for us in one day.

jtlover
11-23-2005, 05:48 AM
As you tend to arrive late afternoon with UK flights we like to go to DTD and usually end up in the Rainforest Cafe -which we love.

One place I totally recommend and always go when we go to Disney is Crystal Palace in Disney - the food is really good whether you do lunch or dinner. I would recommend going here some point during your holiday. Bonus is you see Winnie and friends!

JohnnySharp2
11-23-2005, 06:09 AM
Next August we are staying at the Hyatt Airport hotel, so once our son Joshua has had something to eat and is fast asleep I will probably have chik-fil-a and an ice cold coke.

Followed later hopefully by a couple of beers at the bar.

My wife will probably have pizza.

We are normally in a villa from the first night onwards, so would hope to go to Publix and stock up - highly unlikely we would eat out although we could get something to bring back.
First night usually pretty tired though.

paul_sheps
11-23-2005, 06:12 AM
We all love Wendy's burgers, delicious! much nicer than McDonalds.

JohnnySharp2
11-23-2005, 06:22 AM
We actually quite like KFC - the potato wedges are very nice...the only problem is the list of what is available is very different from the UK, it once cost me $30 , we could have eaten for a week on what I took home - don't think I explained my order very well, but it was a drive-thru and it got a bit confusing..

~Piglet~
11-23-2005, 06:26 AM
This time we are thinking of heading down to Downtown Disney for a sandwich at the Earl of Sandwich.

Maggs

Mmm! I love the food at the Earl of Sandwich :flower:

floridalol
11-23-2005, 06:42 AM
Nothing fancy, it has become a family tradition to go to Pizza Hut on the first evening. Can't even remember why but would not change it now.

Goofyish
11-23-2005, 06:48 AM
We will be going to Epcot on our first night, so will probably go to a counter service restaurant for our first burger of the holiday :)

Cochise
11-23-2005, 06:59 AM
Something basic and simple I would expect. After the obligitory Supermarket visit I think it may be onto the 192 for something and settle into the villa and try the Hot Tub and beer supplies. I will leave my Roma rack from Tony Roma's until at least the second night. :banana:

Queenie
11-23-2005, 07:39 AM
We have a Denny's right next door to Summer Bay so we normally go there, shame I don't really like the food! My favourite eateries are Golden Corral, Bennigans and Ponderosa. Gah, I feel hungry now!!!

Tink78
11-23-2005, 07:54 AM
On our arrival day, we normally grab something at the hotel (we normally stay on site) as we are too tired to go anywhere.

On 1st full day, we normally go to Animal Kingdom, so we like to eat at the Rainforest Cafe.

mandymouse
11-23-2005, 08:38 AM
We usually go to MGM Studios after we've checked in, so it'll be chicken strips or pizza from Pizza Planet - yummy !!

Floridafriend
11-23-2005, 08:48 AM
I hope to eat at the Red Lobster the first night we are there, but in reality it will probably be something from Wal-mart the first night as we try to settle DS after a 9hr flight etc :flower:

Deedee
11-23-2005, 10:00 AM
I like friendleys there turkey dinner is delicious and the milk shakes are made with real fruit pieces in yum!!!

Laurafoster
11-23-2005, 10:37 AM
We stay onsite in the boardwalk are and always walk over to epcot on the first night. Usually have something from the counter services restaurants - this year we had the fish and chips and sat and watched the fireworks - always a gd start to the hol!

KayleeUK
11-23-2005, 10:39 AM
On our first night it seems to always be Beaches and Cream at the Beach Club :)

paulh
11-23-2005, 10:53 AM
family tradition for us is a 16 inch pizza from the food cout and a 6 pack of bud for me
Paul

Muppet
11-23-2005, 10:56 AM
Chinese at Hong Kong Cuisine for us. Lovely. :banana:

jns
11-23-2005, 11:00 AM
we usual eat at the hotel
and get our refillable mugs

Amyrlin
11-23-2005, 12:55 PM
I think it would probablt be a Denny's. I love the idea of a nice meal on the first night, but usally am too tired, Steak and Shake or Friendly's are also good options as they are relaxed and easy to eat.

Miffy2003
11-23-2005, 01:29 PM
If we are staying offsite we always eat at Denny's on our first night :)

If onsite we would do a food court or counter service menu option, depending on where we are staying :)

I love the first night - it's full of the promise of the whole holiday stretching ahead of you :)

Red-Snapper
11-23-2005, 02:00 PM
Ah first night .. is always a club sandwich on room service.
This is now a tradition for us :sunny:

disneyholic family
11-23-2005, 03:45 PM
i most look forward to the Frozen Coke in Tomorrowland - call me crazy.....

as for restaurants:

Offsite - Sweet Tomatoes

Onsite - 50's Prime Time Cafe

susan1
11-23-2005, 04:08 PM
hi
arrive about 6pm so uaually go to ponderosa so we can have what we care to eat. usually too tired to make a firm decision on a sit down restaraunt. :cool1:

eyoreaud
11-23-2005, 06:10 PM
:) WOW! some great replies here :) I'm starvin now! Last time we ate at Rainforest Cafe and i was almost dead on my feet by the end of the meal :rolleyes1 Havn't tried Earl of Sandwich yet so we'll maybe try there or Sweet Tomatoes.
Any more suggestions?

Audrey
::MinnieMo

Lisash
11-24-2005, 10:05 AM
As we are going on Christmas Day this year we will be eating wherever we can find somewhere open. May have to resort to room service. We usually go to Bennigans or the Olive Garden on I Drive first night. Mmm getting hungry at the thought.

FizzyPop
11-24-2005, 10:08 AM
I cant wait to eat at the Outback ...yum yum.... Also I do love a steak n shake as its good for a cheap and quick meal :)

eyoreaud
11-24-2005, 10:17 AM
:) Have to agree with the Outback, their frenck onion soup and Bloomin Onion are superb! I've never tried Steak and Shake yet, can't remember seeing one either, do you know if they are a chain or a one off restaurant?
The only thing i don't like about Outback is it's always been buisy and we have to wait ages for a table, so i might give that a miss first night. :)
But will definately be going there at some point.

Olive Garden is another on our list of places we havn't tried yet.

Thanx Guys 'n' Gals
Audrey

JohnnySharp2
11-24-2005, 10:29 AM
:) Have to agree with the Outback, their frenck onion soup and Bloomin Onion are superb! I've never tried Steak and Shake yet, can't remember seeing one either, do you know if they are a chain or a one off restaurant?
The only thing i don't like about Outback is it's always been buisy and we have to wait ages for a table, so i might give that a miss first night. :)

Thanx Guys 'n' Gals
Audrey

We like the Outback too - although the fries were a bit poor the last time we went - love the fact you can take away and like to sit at the bar having a cold beer waiting for our order.

I like that bread they give you also.
Roll on August....

Obi Wan Kenobi
11-24-2005, 10:54 AM
for me it's the Waffle House
Cheese 'N Eggs MMMMMMMMM!

FizzyPop
11-24-2005, 11:24 AM

Thanx Guys 'n' Gals
Audrey

Awwwww Bloomin Onion :cloud9:

Steak N Shake is a chain :)

Miffy2003
11-24-2005, 12:57 PM
I LOVE those Bloomin Onions!!!

paulh
11-24-2005, 01:25 PM
If you know you are goin to the outback,you can call and reseve a table....they pencil you in for the time you ask for and when you turn up they give the the next available table..... We have done it for the one on vinland road near Dixi stampede....On the onion subject when we went to London we went to the outback at Wandsworth had one for starters and had one for dessert both with extra dip....They thought we were mad .told them our next fix would be in May when we go california...... If you are flying out of MCO (orlando airport) there is now one inside.........
Paulh

Miffy2003
11-24-2005, 01:36 PM
Stop it paul, you are making me hungry :teeth:

mushumadness
11-24-2005, 01:51 PM
we are eating at the outback the first night

we are also going to the outback at least once when we are there

eyoreaud
11-24-2005, 01:58 PM
This thread is gettin soggy with all the Drooling Dissers! :rotfl:

Anna, we'll maybe bump into you some time, you never know :teeth:

Thanx Paul, i will try to reserve a table for next time :)

Thanx again Everyone!
Audrey :cloud9:

Amyrlin
11-24-2005, 02:41 PM
Ahhh no, bloomin' onion!!!!! :goodvibes

I neeeeedddddd to go back, droooling too much :teeth:

coinneach
11-24-2005, 03:44 PM
Denny's is our 1st night as well. Has been for the last 15 years, only 80 days to go.

Cinderella
11-25-2005, 04:42 PM
Sometimes we don't feel like eating so much after the food on the flight and time difference - it depends. We did the character meal at GF on our first ever trip - first night, but kids were too tired to enjoy.

This year, kids are bigger, so we are planning about 90 minutes at MK, then order snacks or whatever from room service whilst watching fireworks from the balcony at the poly - can't wait.

disneyholic family
11-26-2005, 01:28 AM
how can you eat that bloomin onion??....it's soooooooooooooooooooooooo oily.....we ordered it once and i had a little of it and then i couldn't eat my meal (and was sick for the rest of the night).....sooooooooooo much oil in that thing...
I'm not a big fan of the Outback as you can see (my sister's family adores it though)....the only thing that's somewhat edible is the salmon, but even that is just so so…….there are other restaurants with much much much better salmon than at the Outback (e.g., Citricos at the GF has amazing salmon...the best i've ever had anywhere.......even the 50's prime time cafe dinner has far superior salmon than the outback....).

i'll agree with the Olive Garden.....good food and reasonable prices......i love the bottomless salad there......

Miffy2003
11-26-2005, 03:22 AM
Oh Beth, it is so yummy!!!

http://www.outbacksteakhouse.com.au/menu/starters_BloominOnion.gif

Though I do agree it is somewhat greasy.

FizzyPop
11-26-2005, 03:42 AM
Awwwwwww that just looks so yummy :) I have heard there is one in Basildon somewhere?

Miffy2003
11-26-2005, 03:51 AM
I think that's right fizzypop, Allie5 has eaten there I think.

There's definitely one in Birmingham as I have eaten there :)

wilma-bride
11-26-2005, 04:20 AM
On arrival day last year, we ended up at Denny's so it seemed only right that it should be our first port of call this year. No doubt it will be the same next year - after all, it's almost a tradition now.

Tiggernut_jadie
11-26-2005, 04:45 AM
Whenever we go to the States, we look forward to an early meal at Denny's.

I know that it is not upmarket, but to us it is part of being in the US and also illustrates just what Little Chef should have been.

Here, here Pat! Our first night we often just grab a sandwich from the supermarket if we're hungry but our first 'proper' meal - usually at about 6am or some other ungodly hour! - is ALWAYS a breakfast at Dennys! DH has an original gram slam, I have a french toast meal and DD has frech toaties (fingers) and sausages. Plenty of OJ alround and several cups of coffee for DH and I...................Yummmmm! :sunny:

paulh
11-26-2005, 06:03 AM
United Kingdom
OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE
Wandsworth
Dolphin House
Smugglers Way
Wandsworth London SW181EG
United Kingdom

Telephone: + 44-2088-771599
Fax: + 44-2088-777181
Email: ob1@outbackpom.com OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE
The Brewery
Loading Dock 1
Unit FR8 Romford, Essex RM1 1AG
United Kingdom

Telephone: + 44-1708-737955
Telephone: + 44-1708-729845
Email: ob2@outbackpom.com

Off Waterloo Rd, right next to the flicks at the Brewery.

OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE
Southbury Road
Enfield
Middlesex
EN1 1YQ
United Kingdom

Telephone: + 44-20-8367-7881
Fax: + 44-20-8367-7891
Email: ob3@outbackpom.com

By Southbury Leisure centre, adjacent to the UGC Cinema at the corner of the A10, Great Cambridge Road, and Southbury Road. Nearest Station is Enfield Town. OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE
Yardley Business Park
Miles Gray Road
Basildon
Essex
SS14 3GN

Telephone: 01268 534663
Email: ob4@outbackpom.com

OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE
Thames Edge
15 - 18 Clarence Street
Staines TW18 4BU

Telephone: 01784 459 494
Email: ob6@outbackpom.com

Right beside Staines Bridge, 10 minutes from Heathrow Airport.
List of uk outbacks and they are due to open more soon.Sory miffy but the one in Birmmingham has shut down early this year thinhk web site is www.outbackpom.com
Paulh

FizzyPop
11-27-2005, 03:24 AM
Thanks for that paul :) I know where I will be eating next weekend :)

TinkTatoo
11-27-2005, 12:41 PM
Our first US meal and one I look forward to is a teraky (sp) chicken from the food court at Newark. I feel rough on the plane and the kids don't eat airline food either so this is the first thing we have since breakfast. I don't know if it's the hunger but it's very tasty.

I'd love to try some of the restaurants mentioned but the kids autism means that we usually have to eat at buffet places while we are there. Our favorite and the one we look forward to most is Sweet Tomato

RUSHBURY
11-27-2005, 01:57 PM
Like TinkTatoo our first US meal is always at Newark - we have the General Tsao's chicken - I can taste it now!
2nd Us 'meal' is at Orlando International - Cinabon's

cheryl.UK
11-28-2005, 04:56 AM
Crystal Palace character breakfast. We love it so much we sometimes go twice in one holiday! I worked out its actually cheaper than the buffet at the Buena Vista Palace and there's no eeyor at that one! Bring on the Mickey shaped pancakes!

Cheryl :sunny:

Deedee
11-28-2005, 05:04 AM
Hi tinktatoo not sure if you mean teriyaki chicken, if so have you tried it at the nascar restaurant in city walk it is delicious also bourbon chicken is very similar now my mouth is watering

TinkTatoo
11-28-2005, 12:24 PM
Hi tinktatoo not sure if you mean teriyaki chicken, if so have you tried it at the nascar restaurant in city walk it is delicious also bourbon chicken is very similar now my mouth is watering

I do and thanks for spelling it for me :teeth: I think we might have to check out the Nascar resturant as the bourbon chicken sounds lovely

Like TinkTatoo our first US meal is always at Newark - we have the General Tsao's chicken - I can taste it now!
2nd Us 'meal' is at Orlando International - Cinabon's

LOL - our 2nd meal is at Starbucks at MCO :cool1:

JohnnySharp2
11-28-2005, 12:53 PM
I'd love to try some of the restaurants mentioned but the kids autism means that we usually have to eat at buffet places while we are there. Our favorite and the one we look forward to most is Sweet Tomato

We are in a similar sitiuation with our Joshua which means we cannot enjoy the luxury of nice restaurants.
Staying in a villa though we often go to places like the Outback and get a take-away.
We are trying to push him into having a bit more patience so the likes of Ponderosa and Golden Corral may be options for us next year.

Anyway there's always KFC! I just love those wedges.
Only problem is every time I have gone there in the past my wife dreads to think what I will come back with, they always have free cakes/scones etc - we have enough to eat for a week (especially as last time I got 6 boxes of wedges - between 2 of us, Josh had a handful too)....they never seem to understand what you are ordering through the drive-thru.

TinkTatoo
11-29-2005, 02:35 AM
.........Staying in a villa though we often go to places like the Outback and get a take-away.......................We are trying to push him into having a bit more patience so the likes of Ponderosa and Golden Corral may be options for us next year..............

The Outback take-away is a good idea and one we hadn't thought of. We usually eat in the Golden Corral because the kids can go straight up to the buffet as soon as we are seated and they have enough of a selection so that they each find something they will eat only down side is that they are usually on their deserts and wanting to leave before we have even had one plate of food :) .

Give it a try and see how Josh gets on

JohnnySharp2
11-29-2005, 03:44 AM
The Outback take-away is a good idea and one we hadn't thought of. We usually eat in the Golden Corral because the kids can go straight up to the buffet as soon as we are seated and they have enough of a selection so that they each find something they will eat only down side is that they are usually on their deserts and wanting to leave before we have even had one plate of food :) .

Give it a try and see how Josh gets on

Thanks we will - our problem with Joshua's autism is that we think there will always be something for him to eat..but having seen that he is okay it will be difficult for him to want to hang around whilst we have something!
Having said that we had breakfast at a Ponderosa this year and he was fine - guess we just like to play safe , but probably need to push him a bit more.

TinkTatoo
11-29-2005, 08:24 AM
Thanks we will - our problem with Joshua's autism is that we think there will always be something for him to eat..but having seen that he is okay it will be difficult for him to want to hang around whilst we have something!................

That can be a problem and one we had for a long time - still do to an extent but we can usually get to finish most of our meal, or I take the kids for a look in the gift shop next door while DH finishes his.

Just an idea but have you thought about taking a distraction toy for him to play with while he waits for you?? our friends do this with their son, he has a gameboy which he plays on and it means they get to stay longer than they normally would.

JohnnySharp2
11-29-2005, 08:36 AM
That can be a problem and one we had for a long time - still do to an extent but we can usually get to finish most of our meal, or I take the kids for a look in the gift shop next door while DH finishes his.

Just an idea but have you thought about taking a distraction toy for him to play with while he waits for you?? our friends do this with their son, he has a gameboy which he plays on and it means they get to stay longer than they normally would.

Oh yes we always take a few books and small toys, cars, playmobil figures etc on holiday with us - we also take a portable DVD player but have never really considered taking that with us.

We have to push him more though, otherwise he will never get more confident and we will never know what he can or cannot do...and we rarely eat out whilst at home.
I guess staying in a villa and having cooking facilities means we can avoid it but I think we need to try it more and more to improve his confidence, so we will next year for certain.

SimonV
11-29-2005, 09:26 AM
One of my weaknesses with American food is being able to sit up at the counter of any restaurant and watch the people working and chatting away. I always enjoy Bob Evans and Steak 'n Shake for that reason. An absolute must for me is also to visit any of the Orlando Alehouse chain on Sundays, which is American football day over here - 10.5 hours of non-stop sport on multiple TVs, plus cheap beer. :drinking1 Hic!!

JohnnySharp2
11-29-2005, 09:31 AM
One of my weaknesses with American food is being able to sit up at the counter of any restaurant and watch the people working and chatting away. I always enjoy Bob Evans and Steak 'n Shake for that reason. An absolute must for me is also to visit any of the Orlando Alehouse chain on Sundays, which is American football day over here - 10.5 hours of non-stop sport on multiple TVs, plus cheap beer. :drinking1 Hic!!

One thing I like is when you go the Outback and there are people sat at the bar having a beer/eating and watching the TV, great stuff...shame I have to drive and get a take-away really.

UKDEB
11-29-2005, 09:44 AM
One of our favourite pastimes, too. And it's a great way to meet complete strangers! We discovered the Orlando Ale House (the one at Florida Mall) in May and we're hooked. I especially like the Zingers - I can't be doing with bones. How do they do that? Actually, we realised after our 7th beer (well, they were cheap :teeth: ) that we'd been to one before. We'd often cudgelled our brains about the identity of the sports bar we'd visited at the Altamonte Mall and it all suddenly came flooding back :rolleyes1 .

Boss Hogg
11-29-2005, 11:06 AM
On the topic of beer and wings, let us not forget Hooters, or as I like to call it, heaven :)

That having been said, if you want a slightly more refined experience (yes I can also do refined) I like Old Hickory Steakhouse at Gaylord Palms and Ruth's Chris. Mmmmmmm 24oz steaks - why lord can't we have them over here?

UKDEB
11-29-2005, 01:13 PM
yes I can also do refined
Provided there's a 24oz steak involved.