PDA

View Full Version : Calling all experienced fly drivers

geordie ric
11-22-2005, 07:09 AM
As a first time driver in the US I am looking for some helpful advice.
I have found a great site that gives two routes from Sandford airport to Disneyland.One for first time drivers and the other not recomended for first time drivers.However the route for first time drivers seems very complicated as it seems to avoid the I4 whereas the other one just seems to go along Mary Lake Blvd then onto the I4 and onto WDW.What would you advise.
Also what junction would be the best to leave the I4 to get to Pop century.
Now back to the dance floor. :moped:

:banana: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :cheer2: :cool1: :banana:

Goofyish
11-22-2005, 07:19 AM
We chose the Florida Greenway route to I-Drive on our first trip to Orlando and got lost :)

So, even though the I-4 can be busier, especially around rush hours, it is the most direct route and easiest to navigate.

The closest junction to Pop is junction 65-B Osceola Parkway, but you could also come off at the previous junction 67-B Epcot Centre Drive and then take the first left onto Buena Vista Drive and then take the first left (Victory Way) after the entrance to the Caribbean Beach Resort.

Disney road signs are pretty good, although like most road signs in the US, you don't much warning that your exit is coming up, so as soon as you see the sign for your exit get ready :)

geordie ric
11-22-2005, 07:22 AM
Thanks for that.The I 4 it is.Bring it on. :moped:

wilki32
11-22-2005, 09:41 AM
We took the same route in 03 but didn't get lost!

We took the scenic route! ;)

Obi Wan Kenobi
11-22-2005, 12:22 PM
From Sanford to Disneyland, that's a LONG journey! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I would go down the I4 its not too bad, just a little busy around going home time

Netty
11-22-2005, 01:01 PM
As a first time driver in the US I am looking for some helpful advice.
I have found a great site that gives two routes from Sandford airport to Disneyland. :banana: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :cheer2: :cool1: :banana:
:scared1: DISNEYWORLD!!!!!!

when driving, remember you can go right on a red light as long as its clear.
take your time, and enjoy the drive, you'll be fine! :flower:

paulh
11-22-2005, 01:22 PM
:scared1: DISNEYWORLD!!!!!!

when driving, remember you can go right on a red light as long as its clear.
take your time, and enjoy the drive, you'll be fine! :flower:

as its first time dont worry about turning right on red just get yourself to disney then when you get acustomed to driving then start doing it and you dont have too just take care when driving
Paulh

geordie ric
11-22-2005, 01:36 PM
I can just imagine my wifes face as I go through a red light. :listen:

Aceman88888
11-22-2005, 01:36 PM
Big Problem with the I4 on arrival is those 6 axle juggernaughts overtaking you either side at often well over 70 mph. Even for an experienced driver, it can be very unnerving after a long drive. The Greenway is good as the first 30 miles are a doddle and kind of get you more prepared for the relative complexities further along the road. Great for getting used to the car quickly.

paulh
11-22-2005, 01:45 PM
i`sent the greenway being extended right to disney property so you dont have to leave toll road
Paulh

ERICS MUM
11-22-2005, 05:04 PM
I much prefer the 417 toll road, its nearly empty and you can take your time getting used to the car and the road. I avaoid I4 whenever poss, have seen too many accidents for my liking.

Linda :paw:

Amyrlin
11-23-2005, 01:04 PM
The 417 is not as complicated as it looks, the only thing to rmmebmer is to keep to the correctside (can't remember which side it is) when the road splits, but it is a nice easy route.

Now, after getting used to driving in the US, I go down to the I4, but would have found it a bit daunting on the first occasion, as it can be very busy.

jns
11-23-2005, 04:58 PM
we always use the 417 toll
just rember to take some small change with you $1's bills

UKDEB
11-24-2005, 01:05 AM
The big problem with the I-4 is the congestion around the Lake Buena Vista exit (68). If you're driving past Downtown during rush hour, you're bound to be delayed there too. The 417 is almost certainly going to be the quicker option and really is far more straight forward. I would have thought it would be easier to get lost trying to find your way to the I-4 from Sanford than to the 417 which you join almost immediately after leaving the airport. (You need to stay in the right-hand lane where the road splits, btw). Get off at exit 3 directly onto the Osceola Parkway - Pop Century is literally a minute or two from that junction.

These days we often avoid the I-4 altogether - there are quicker, more enjoyable ways to get almost everywhere in the area. In April, we drove the 300 or so miles from Savannah to RPR at Universal. We made the schoolboy error of staying on the I-4 as we approached Downtown and it took us almost as long to do those last few miles as it did to do the rest of the journey!

FizzyPop
11-24-2005, 02:30 AM
We always take the 417 too :) A nice relaxing drive compared to the I4.

paulh
11-27-2005, 11:17 AM
We always take the 417 too :) A nice relaxing drive compared to the I4.

What with kids in back screamming are we there yet and you just tired after long floght , plus litlle sleep and DW giving wrong directions while looking at all the villas you pass :rotfl2:
Paulh