PDA

View Full Version : Dolphins in Depth

Queenie
11-20-2005, 05:30 PM
Me and my mum are thinking of doing this next year and we'd like some extra info. I've got the basics out of Birnbaum's guide but they don't really explain exactly what you'll be doing. Do you need to be able to swim or can you use life jackets?

Any info would be great.

Hilary
11-21-2005, 03:21 AM
DD did this a few years ago, so I can tell you what happened on her tour but I don't know whether anything's changed since then.

The group met outside Epcot, then went into a back area of the Living Seas and spent a while in a classroom setting learning about dolphin anatomy and beahviour. When it was time to meet the dophins the group changed into wetuits and entered the tank area. At no time did they swim (it was a strict rule that they must stay on the submerged platform) and were standing in water no more than waist deep. The dolphins swam in front of them, close enough to be touched, and were then 'instructed' by the each member of the group, giving pre-learned signals.

At the end of the tour everyone was given a commemorative tee-shirt and a video of their experience. I have a feeling the video might not be included any more, but I'm not sure.

conny264
11-21-2005, 07:18 AM
We did this tour last year and had a great time.
YouŽll be standing in the water up to your hips.
The video is gone but you still get a T-shirt and a wonderful picture.
Greetings
conny :wave: :wave:

Queenie
11-21-2005, 10:48 AM
How long are you actually with the dolphin (presuming it's happy to come over to you)? You get to stroke it and play with it (the instructions) but not swim with it yes?

Hilary
11-22-2005, 03:42 AM
How long are you actually with the dolphin (presuming it's happy to come over to you)? You get to stroke it and play with it (the instructions) but not swim with it yes?

DD says her group was in the water for about half an hour, but the dolphins are 'shared' amongst everyone (8 people when she went) during that time. There is NO swimming.

MrsJobba1
11-22-2005, 05:39 PM
I did this in August and loved the experience!

Only 8 poeple a day do this tour, we met outside epcot round the back of the guest services. We met the tour leaders (3 of them) and they worked our our sizes for teh wet suits and boots. They had fun as I did not know us shoe size.

We did a tour of living seas, saw the prep areas and watched dvd about dolpohins in the wild. We were then given a long talk on the 2 dolphins _Raynor ( the older one ) and Calvin, and how to interact with them do's and don'ts.

Next we were taken to locker rooms and there were bags hanging on changing room doors with our names on. These contained the wet suits and boots. (You have to wear your costume underneath! :goodvibes ).

After getting into the wet suits we were taken up to the top of the tank and met 2 trainers. We were split into 2 groups 4 in each, and spent about 30mins on a ledge in the water (waist level) with a trainer and a dolphin. We stroked them and were taught some of the hand signals and got them to do neat stuff ! We then had our photo taken with our dolphin ( I had Calvin :love: )

Once this was finished we headed back to the locker rooms to shower and get ready. Once ready we went back into the meeting room where our photo was waiting for us with a T-shirt.

This was a brilliant experience. I was worried about doing the tour by myself ( DH was doing the Divequest tour that day) But everyone was super friendly.

I loved it :goodvibes Hope that covers all you need but feel free to ask anymore ??? if u need!
x

susieh
11-22-2005, 06:45 PM
I did the Dolphin experience at Sea World in 1998 (before Discovery Cove opened) and that sounds like the Epcot Dolphins in Depth. I did Discovery Cove in 2004 and you get to swim with the dophin and do a LOT more.

Why are you thinking of doing DD rather than DC?

Queenie
11-23-2005, 08:29 AM
Basically Discovery Cove is an awful lot of money considering me and mum would only be interested in the Dolphin segment (mum doesn't really like water, being with a dolphin is gonna be hard enough for her.) We're more interested in learning about the dolphins and getting to do the neat stuff like hand signals. Another thing is I know DC is very reliant on weather conditions and we'd be going in late Sept which isn't the best time of year, it's just too much money to risk, especially as you don't get much time with the dolphin.