Can be used

Ipods
Gameboys
mp3 / CD players

What cannot be used

mobile phones

anng1962
11-19-2005, 12:02 PM
Can you use laptops running on their own power??

Anne

Obi Wan Kenobi
11-19-2005, 12:02 PM
What can and can't be used on the plane
I will start the list

What cannot be used

mobile phones

Actually not quite true.

http://www.connexionbyboeing.com/index.cfm?p=cbb.serviceavailable&l=en.US&ec=&e=

Certain new aircraft and some airlines within the uSa are advertising that fact you can use your mobile on board
Interesting BBc article here
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3926029.stm

Cochise
11-19-2005, 06:56 PM
There is a comment on the BBC site there about the intereference when the signal is receiving for an incoming call. If a pilot has to put up with this in flight then they shouldnt be allowed. The airlines should make the use of in flight telephones workable and cheap enough to not faint at the cost of a call.
My O2 phone cant pick a signal up in half of Wales when I am on holiday never mind at 530mph at 37,000ft. :badpc:

AlanUK
11-20-2005, 04:34 AM
I read an article once in the newspaper that said on any flight there are always a small number of people who 'forget' to turn their phone off. :(

I always do mine before we start baording and then I don't have to be fiddling with unpacking and packing my bag once we are on the plane :)

minniemouseuk
11-20-2005, 06:03 AM
Razor blades cannot be taken onto Virgin Atlantic planes, so they'll have to go in the suitcase.

AlanUK
11-20-2005, 06:25 AM
Razor blades aren't allowed in the cabin on any plane :)

I always take a disposable so that I can have a shave the morning of the flight and then bin it in the hotel before we head off to the airport. If I don't I am all itchy when I arrive in the US :(

disneyholic family
11-20-2005, 06:42 AM
I read an article once in the newspaper that said on any flight there are always a small number of people who 'forget' to turn their phone off. :(

I always do mine before we start baording and then I don't have to be fiddling with unpacking and packing my bag once we are on the plane :)

i'm sure there must be people on board who forget...
but in all my flights only once did a pilot actually hold our take off because of it..
it was on Air Canada....on a transatlantic 767.....we rolled away from the gate....went over to the de-icing area and then there was a strange delay...after a short while, the pilot came on the loudspeaker saying that whoever had their phone on to please turn it off immediately as it was interfering with the plane....and we wouldn't be able to take off until the phone was turned off....
that was the weirdest thing ever...

Cochise
11-20-2005, 02:22 PM
There are beacons and wiring all over the plane so sitting in certain places is going to create interference.

disneyholic family
11-21-2005, 03:22 AM
on my last flight (this past september) i was on a 747....we had already pushed back from the gate when i noticed the woman across the aisle from me was using one of those fancy phone/PDA things....she was busy punching away on it, after they'd already made the announcement that all phones and electronic devices must be turned off..

so i turned to her and said, "that's supposed to be turned off"...
so she said, "i've turned off the phone part of it, but the rest of it can't be turned off....it can never be turned off or else i'll lose everything...."....

i was sure she must be wrong, but since i don't have a device like that, i didn't argue with her...but it didn't make sense to me since they say ALL electronic devices must be turned off....
but i don't know the answer....and since we were already close to takeoff, the flights attendants were already sitting down (at the back of our section --747 upstairs - we were in the front row)...had the flight attendants been wandering around, i might have asked them...
since we didn't crash on takeoff i figured it was ok...anyway, as someone noted, i figured there must always be some of these devices accidentally left on....

LeCras
11-21-2005, 06:07 AM
on my last flight (this past september) i was on a 747....we had already pushed back from the gate when i noticed the woman across the aisle from me was using one of those fancy phone/PDA things....she was busy punching away on it, after they'd already made the announcement that all phones and electronic devices must be turned off..

so i turned to her and said, "that's supposed to be turned off"...
so she said, "i've turned off the phone part of it, but the rest of it can't be turned off....it can never be turned off or else i'll lose everything...."....

i was sure she must be wrong, but since i don't have a device like that, i didn't argue with her...but it didn't make sense to me since they say ALL electronic devices must be turned off....
but i don't know the answer....and since we were already close to takeoff, the flights attendants were already sitting down (at the back of our section --747 upstairs - we were in the front row)...had the flight attendants been wandering around, i might have asked them...
since we didn't crash on takeoff i figured it was ok...anyway, as someone noted, i figured there must always be some of these devices accidentally left on....

Flight mode capable mobile phones and PDA's may be used inflight provided the phone has been switched to flight mode before take-off. Flight mode enables you to operate the basic functions of your mobile phone or PDA while the transmitting function of your phone is switched off. You cannot make phone calls or send SMS whilst in flight mode.

Charlotte

urglewurgle
11-21-2005, 06:13 AM
i *think* everything kinda electrical has to be switched off on take-off and landing... i know they always say to turn off ipods etc.

and i ALWAYS turn my phone off on check-in... just so i don't forget...

disneyholic family
11-21-2005, 06:35 AM
Flight mode capable mobile phones and PDA's may be used inflight provided the phone has been switched to flight mode before take-off. Flight mode enables you to operate the basic functions of your mobile phone or PDA while the transmitting function of your phone is switched off. You cannot make phone calls or send SMS whilst in flight mode.

Charlotte

yes, but they say ALL electronic devices must be turned off for take off and landing --i'm not talking about in flight.....it doesn't make sense to me that they can't ever be turned off...

mickg7dyd
11-21-2005, 04:40 PM
Hi,
Greetings from the Boardwalk villas... :cool1:

Virgin Atlantic DO NOT allow "flight safe" phones on their flights. I flew with them yesterday and the flight supervisor specifically said they were not to be used.All other electrical items have to be switched off and packed away during taxi,take off and landing.

Mick.

:smooth: