PDA

View Full Version : Gameboys and Planes?

diddldonna
11-17-2005, 07:14 AM
Are the children allowed to use gameboys on the plane?

Donna

AlanUK
11-17-2005, 07:15 AM
Yes :)

There are restrictions on electronic devices during take off and landing though.

LeCras
11-17-2005, 07:50 AM
They can use a gameboy at any time when the seat belt sign is not illuminated. If it is illuminated mid-flight the gameboy needs to be switched off.

Charlotte

diddldonna
11-17-2005, 08:51 AM
Thanks for your quick replies as leaving tomo.

Donna

Tink78
11-17-2005, 08:55 AM
Your count down makes me want to cry.
1 day until DisneyWorld.
Lucky thing!

Have a brill time :sunny: :cool1:

diddldonna
11-17-2005, 11:06 AM
:flower: I am so excited, i have had the holiday book since Aug 2005 and have been waiting for it to come round. The sad thing is coming home, lol.

Donna

#1MMFan
11-17-2005, 02:29 PM
They can use a gameboy at any time when the seat belt sign is not illuminated. If it is illuminated mid-flight the gameboy needs to be switched off.

Charlotte

How come nobody disturbs me to switch off my mp3 or make any announcement re this when I've had to fasten my seatbelt mid-flight? I've just been on 6 flights in the last 3 wks and not one of them asked me to do this. Just curious... seems strange wouldn't you agree?

LeCras
11-18-2005, 07:43 AM
How come nobody disturbs me to switch off my mp3 or make any announcement re this when I've had to fasten my seatbelt mid-flight? I've just been on 6 flights in the last 3 wks and not one of them asked me to do this. Just curious... seems strange wouldn't you agree?

I am obviously unable to comment on your particular flights, but most airlines prefer that entertainment devices are not used when the fasten seat belt signs are illuminated. This is to ensure your own safety - if they need to make a cabin PA announcement you are more likely to hear it without your headphones. :music:

Charlotte

disneyholic family
11-18-2005, 08:57 AM
I am obviously unable to comment on your particular flights, but most airlines prefer that entertainment devices are not used when the fasten seat belt signs are illuminated. This is to ensure your own safety - if they need to make a cabin PA announcement you are more likely to hear it without your headphones. :music:

Charlotte

i guess it must depend on the airline....on the airlines i've flown, they seem to have a 10,000 foot rule....when the plane reaches 10,000 feet after takeoff you're permitted to use electronic devices....and they always make an announcement that you're permitted to turn them on and when you have to turn them off before landing...

by the way, there are a few electronic devices that you're not supposed to use on planes at all, but i can't remember what they are....
but gameboys and ipods are ok...

Galactic Emperor
11-18-2005, 09:11 AM

Charlotte

Sorry,
but that's justīplain wrong. The main reason why electronic devices shall not be used during certain flight phases is the possible disturbance of the aircraft's navigational systems. As soon as you left the vicinity of the airport until you start the initial approach into your destination you can use electronic devices. The fasten seat belt sign during flight is more or less unnecessary anyway, as everybody should stay buckled up for the duration of the flight. A clear air turbulance can hit any aircraft at any time, only complete fools open their belts when the lights are extinguished after departure. The 'Fasten seat belt'-sign being switched on during flight has the meaning 'If you're walking around the plane or not in your seat right now, get back and stay seated!'.
And teh statement about the necessity to hear the PA is also wrong or the flight attendants would have to wake up every sleeping passenger in that case.

Galactic Emperor
11-18-2005, 09:20 AM
i guess it must depend on the airline....on the airlines i've flown, they seem to have a 10,000 foot rule....when the plane reaches 10,000 feet after takeoff you're permitted to use electronic devices....and they always make an announcement that you're permitted to turn them on and when you have to turn them off before landing...

by the way, there are a few electronic devices that you're not supposed to use on planes at all, but i can't remember what they are....
but gameboys and ipods are ok...

Cell phones are a no-no - although that may change sooner or later as some manufacturers already work on relay systems which pick up your cellphone's signal in the cabin, transmit it to an antenna outside the airframe, and then send it to the next ground station. I hope that isn't realized too soon as I really love to be in a cellphone-free area from time to time ;)
Some airlines used to prohibit the use of CD- or DVD-drives, but that's over. IcelandAir gives out free personal DVD-players in its Saga-class for the duration of the flight and on most Amercan airports you can rent those DVD-players and return them at your destination.

BONZO
11-18-2005, 09:30 AM
An airplane contains a number of radios for a variety of tasks.

There is a radio that the pilots use to talk to ground control and air traffic control (ATC).

There is another radio that the plane uses to disclose its position to ATC computers.

There are radar units used for guidance and weather detection, and so on.

All of these radios are transmitting and receiving information at specific frequencies. If someone were to turn on a cell phone, the cell phone would transmit with a great deal of power (up to 3 watts).

If it happens to create interference that overlaps with radio frequencies the plane is using, then messages between people or computers may be garbled.

If one of the wires in the plane has damaged shielding, there is some possibility of the wire picking up the phone's signals just like my computer's speakers do. That could create faulty messages between pieces of equipment within the plane.

From howstuffworks.com

BONZO
11-18-2005, 09:33 AM
The prohibition on laptops and CD players during takeoff and landing is addressing the same issue, but the concerns here might fall into the category of "better safe than sorry."

A poorly shielded laptop could transmit a fair amount of radio energy at its operating frequency, and this could, theoretically, create a problem.

FloridaSam
11-19-2005, 10:24 AM
We asked the Virgin stewardess on the return flight earlier this year and the children were allowed to use their Nintendo DS.

jns
11-19-2005, 11:27 AM
What else
I will start the list

Can be used

Ipods
Gameboys
mp3 / CD players

What cannot be used

mobile phones

Miffy2003
11-19-2005, 11:51 AM
Jackie you may be better off starting a new thread with what you want answered :)

jns
11-19-2005, 11:56 AM
Good Idea
I will

Galactic Emperor
11-19-2005, 02:09 PM
There is another radio that the plane uses to disclose its position to ATC computers.

This one's wrong or least not completey correct: The position of the aircraft is not relayed to ATC via radio. This is done by RADAR. There are two different radar systems used for this.
Primary radar is used to 'see' the aircraft. This is doen by using those use rotating antennae which are shaped like a snow ploughs blade. The emitt a radar impulse which is reflected by the aircraft and displayed on a scope. Unfortunately this is just 'blip' not saying anything about the ID of the aircraft. For this there is
Secondary radar. This is a second system attached to the primiary radar's antenna. It's a long box usually located at the lower or upper edget of aforementioned 'snow plough'. This sends out a signal to every aircraft in its range. All aircraft have a so-called 'transponder', which then sends back a signal containing information about the ID and the altitude of the aircraft. This info is then used to generate a label on the Air Traffic Contoller's scope. Saying for example BA1234 410 480. This means British Aiways flight 1234 at Flight Level 410 (41.000ft) flying at 480 knots. The speed is determied by the radar sysstem's computer simply making a distance/time calculation between two sweeps of the scope.
The transponder in the cockpit can be set to 4096 different codes only as it is a 4digit code based on the oktal system. As there are more than 4096 aircraft on this planet, pilots have to change codes frequently when crossing airspace boundaries. Additiinally there are special codes available which can be set to attract ATC's attention, i.e. in case of a general emergency, unlawful interference (Hijacking), or radio communication failure.

patdavies
11-20-2005, 12:52 PM
Sorry,
but that's justīplain wrong. The main reason why electronic devices shall not be used during certain flight phases is the possible disturbance of the aircraft's navigational systems. As soon as you left the vicinity of the airport until you start the initial approach into your destination you can use electronic devices. The fasten seat belt sign during flight is more or less unnecessary anyway, as everybody should stay buckled up for the duration of the flight. A clear air turbulance can hit any aircraft at any time, only complete fools open their belts when the lights are extinguished after departure. The 'Fasten seat belt'-sign being switched on during flight has the meaning 'If you're walking around the plane or not in your seat right now, get back and stay seated!'.
And teh statement about the necessity to hear the PA is also wrong or the flight attendants would have to wake up every sleeping passenger in that case.

As is your reason "plain wrong".

It's the CONTROL systems that are the major concern. You don't need navigation systems to point an aircraft down a runway. You do definitely need safe and predictable control. The very last thing you need is any unpredicted change in lift, yaw or balance during these critical phases of a flight.

patdavies
11-20-2005, 01:03 PM
This one's wrong or least not completey correct: The position of the aircraft is not relayed to ATC via radio. This is done by RADAR. There are two different radar systems used for this.
Primary radar is used to 'see' the aircraft. This is doen by using those use rotating antennae which are shaped like a snow ploughs blade. The emitt a radar impulse which is reflected by the aircraft and displayed on a scope. Unfortunately this is just 'blip' not saying anything about the ID of the aircraft. For this there is
Secondary radar. This is a second system attached to the primiary radar's antenna. It's a long box usually located at the lower or upper edget of aforementioned 'snow plough'. This sends out a signal to every aircraft in its range. All aircraft have a so-called 'transponder', which then sends back a signal containing information about the ID and the altitude of the aircraft. This info is then used to generate a label on the Air Traffic Contoller's scope. Saying for example BA1234 410 480. This means British Aiways flight 1234 at Flight Level 410 (41.000ft) flying at 480 knots. The speed is determied by the radar sysstem's computer simply making a distance/time calculation between two sweeps of the scope.
The transponder in the cockpit can be set to 4096 different codes only as it is a 4digit code based on the oktal system. As there are more than 4096 aircraft on this planet, pilots have to change codes frequently when crossing airspace boundaries. Additiinally there are special codes available which can be set to attract ATC's attention, i.e. in case of a general emergency, unlawful interference (Hijacking), or radio communication failure.

The rotating antenna on the ground is the primary ATC radar - the box sticking out in front of the 'snow plough' is the true 'antenna'; the 'snow plough' is simply a reflector. The one's that you see at the airport are usually ground radar and used to monitor aircraft movement on the ground. Just like a satellite dish, the dish is a reflector and the bit out the front is the LMB (or antenna)

Aircraft are identified via a transponder - which is a simply radio transmitter that either sends a signal at aircrew command (squark ident) or automatically in response to a transmission from the ground. Aircrew can set the 4 digits transmitted from the flight deck. Certain codes are used not as aircraft identification, but as signals of abnormal circumstances - like hi-jack. These transponders were developed from the military IFF (Identify Friend or Foe) systems, where all friendly aircraft would transmit a code for the day when interrogated, in an effort to stop 'friendly fire' incidents in the heat of battle.

George05
11-30-2005, 07:02 AM
Hi,

Well i am a big kid LOL ive got to do something on the long flight so we take our gameboy and have always been able to use it.

SimonV
11-30-2005, 08:34 AM
Lets keep the thread on topic, please, folks. The question is about Gameboy and other electronic device use on planes, and we are always told the simple rule is that hand-held gaming devices, laptops, mp3 players and DVD players can all be used once the plane has gained sufficient altitude (which will usually be announced on the PA system). They cannot be used during takeoff and once the landing descent has started. Devices like mobile phones cannot be used at any time.

Supercod
11-30-2005, 09:04 AM
We took Nintendo DS and PSP onboard Iceland Air you just can’t use it during take off and landing, plus taxing to the runway. Also cannot use the wireless functions that these 2 devices have, so if the kids have them tell them they can’t do the chat or play head-to-head via the devices.

By the way Iceland Air have these portable media player things with 8 movies, bunch of TV programs, music and music videos programmed in along with giving you 2 headsets if you want. Costs $15 for the whole trip, and we rented 2 of these and was great as you could watch the movies as you liked.