PDA

View Full Version : Oh no - What are Disney doing to me

Andy, Lou & Meg
11-16-2005, 05:01 AM
We have booked to go to the world in Jan and decided to stay at ASM. the main selling point of this resort what the fantasia 0swimming pool. We all love swimming and thought it look great. I have just discovered with allearsnet.com that the pool is going to be in rehab for the whole of Jan.

I booked through Virgin and talked to them yesterday and they said that they had not been informed of any changes.

My question is that if the rehab is confirmed by Disney will Virgin change my hotel at no extra charge (I think that this consistutes a big change in our holiday through no fault of our own). I really and truely do not want to stay at eith POP, Music or Sport so do you think they would put me in either Conrando or Carribeen at no extra cost.

Really fed up with the rehabs. My DD5 fav rides arealso closed when we are there - Test Track and Buzz and our fav water park is also closed.

I could really scream at the moment.

Any ideas on what I could do?

Goofyish
11-16-2005, 05:17 AM
I can't see Virgin upgrading you to a moderate because there are alternative value resorts available with the same facilities as the one you booked - no harm in asking though :)

JohnnySharp2
11-16-2005, 05:22 AM
I agree, I wouldn't have thought they would upgrade for free to a better accomodation.

A lot of the water attractions generally close for rehab in January.

Good luck with it anyway.

Claire L
11-16-2005, 05:23 AM
As far as I am aware when booking a holiday the facilities such as swimming pool etc are considered as minor items and if not available then it doesn't constitute a major change to your holiday as the hotel is still there and your room is fully functioning so the tour operator is not obliged to compensate you or move you to another resort. If you wanted to be moved to a moderate resort then the extra cost will be down to you to pay. Virgin Holidays may agree to a change to another value resort but only if there is room available, but you say you aren't keen on the other resorts.

Claire ;)

mandymouse
11-16-2005, 06:43 AM
I can't see Virgin upgrading you, perhaps if you're lucky they will move you to one of the other All Star resorts, but like it says in the Allears newsletter Disney are providing a shuttle service to the Sports & Music pools

angel659
11-16-2005, 06:59 AM
Hi

I agree I dont think they will upgrade you, however they may waiver the admin charges and just charge you the extra it would be to stay.

mark&sue
11-16-2005, 10:57 AM
Let us know what they say and good luck

Susan

VSL
11-16-2005, 11:51 AM
Also, there is another pool in ASMo.

Miffy2003
11-16-2005, 12:47 PM
Rehabs are such a tricky thing! I know we would all be first to complain if rehabs did not take place on a regular basis so that everything at WDW did not look sparkly clean. I believe this is one of the cons of travelling in offf season as more rehabs take place then - but you get so many other benefits (low crowds, cheaper prices etc).

That said, it is disappointing when something (like a swimming pool) you have been looking forward to is not available. I remember your post originally a few months back and that was one of the things you were most looking forward to wasn't it? That is a shame.

Does somewhere like Pop Century really not appeal? They have a lovely swimming areas and water jets I believe for your DD which I'm sure she would enjoy. Maybe Virgin would swap you?

Good luck and let us know how you get on :)

TartanFan
11-16-2005, 03:48 PM
If the pool is really a deal-breaker then the Hippy Dippy Pool at POP is much better than the Fantasia pool at ASMo IMO. The Hippy Dippy Pool has "Crazy Daisy" jets squirting into the pool, the deck area around the pool is more spacious and much more colourful and vibrant and Petals Pool Bar is much more convenient those at any of the All Stars!

Stayed at all the All Stars and POP. I like POP best now!

Andy, Lou & Meg
11-20-2005, 10:29 AM
Quick update.

I have spoken to Disney and they have confirmed that the pool will be closed during our stay.

I have telephoned Virgin (twice) and they have received no notice what so ever that the pool is going to be told.

I told them that I have spoken to Disney direct and explained the situation but until a Virgin Rep confirms the closure there is nothing they could do about it or even advise me what what would happen.

All they said that they would send me a letter advising me of any major changes to my resort.

I am going to give it another couple of weeks and then try them again.

I am not holding out much hope of being changes to another resort (upgraded or not).

I am fed up with Virgin, we had problems with our holiday in September and I doubt if we will go with them again. The only few good things they have going for them is the baggage allowance and downtown check-in.

Will let you all know what happens.

Lou

sandshal
11-20-2005, 10:55 AM
If you are really concerned, phone them with your nicest, politest voice and explain the situation - ask how much it would cost to change if any. I'm only saying this because Ive called them twice recently once to amend the dates of my holiday completely and again to add another two days to my holiday - on neither ocassion have I been charged an admin charge.

All I can say is give it your best shot, and if at first you don't succeed try, try again - like any call centre the result you get depends on which operator takes your call.

Good luck - but from experience (as a call centre robot!) whatever you do don't raise your voice.

VSL
11-20-2005, 11:06 AM
I do not believe that any of this is Virgin's fault, as such. It isn't a major change to your itinerary, and maybe they only ask to be informed of anything which they consider to be major.

You always have the option to change to a different value (for a fee), or pay to upgrade.

I understand your frustration, but Disney are probably doing lots of rehabs in January because it's not a peak season (just as they've been doing lots this month because it's not peak).

Claire L
11-20-2005, 11:10 AM
To be honest I cannot see why this is Virgin's fault :confused3 The closure of one pool out of two is not in any tour operators terms a major change, yes it may be annoying to you but then alot of things change between booking and commencing the holiday, be it planned or unplanned. We had no notice from the tour operator part of our hotel this year was being refurbished even when I rang the hotel they denied any refurbishment was going on the following month, when we were visiting, even though someone posted on a board work would be going on! This meant the adult only pool was very noisey and dusty as they were reapaving around it meaning it was't really suitable to use during the day. One of the reasons we chose that hotel was for the adult only pool, but we accepted that work had to be done and carried on with our holiday.
Claire ;)

Laurafoster
11-20-2005, 11:10 AM
I agree, although it is fustrating - until Disney tell Virgin of the changes its not really their fault! I know we had a similar issue one year and Disney did not pass the information on untill 5 weeks before out holiday!

Miffy2003
11-20-2005, 01:33 PM
Lou - good luck. Let us know how you get on :)

disneyholic family
11-21-2005, 02:47 AM
as others have noted, January is a big refurbishment time...
so if you go then, chances are you'll hit a number of them..

as for pools, when we were at the GF in September, the entire time we were there they were refurbishing the pool area of the courtyard pool....since the pool was not closed down entirely, i don't believe that this refurbishment was listed....
but even though the pool was open, there was a huge fence around most of it and there were about 50 men busily working on the cement with huge noisy machines.....this was all week long...keep in mind that people pay $500/ night to stay in this hotel...
and many like to lie on the lounge chairs by the pool much of the day...
not exactly easy when there are huge machines and construction type workers all around....

but it was september....one of the slowest months at the GF.....so an opportune time for them to refurbish.....in fact, there were also huge cleaning machines being used on the roofs of the buildings....noisy to be sure....

manning
11-22-2005, 09:01 PM
Call Virgin and ask if there is an extra charge for changing hotels. If not,or minimal, change. Why let a couple of pounds spoil your vacation. For you it is a long way to Disney.

Pootle
11-23-2005, 04:14 AM
Beth makes some good points about refurbishment. When you called Disney, did they definitely say the pool would be closed rather than being refurbished?

I stayed at ASMo for 2 nights some years ago and the main pool was being refurbished then, but it was as Beth describes, with part of it fenced off. For what it's worth, the rest of the pool seemed to be well used although, admittedly, it didn't look as good as it should.

Good luck getting it sorted out.