PDA

View Full Version : Walkie Talkies

sandra9797
11-16-2005, 05:45 AM
Hi,I'm off to florida at christmas and have a set of walkie Talkies i would like to take with me,do i put them in my suitcase or hand luggage?

Goofyish
11-16-2005, 05:58 AM
Are they purchased in the US?

Walkie-Talkies that are for the UK market cannot be used in the USA because of the different frequencies used - if you use UK ones in the US you may interfere with the emergency services! (and the same goes for using US ones in the UK).

If they are US ones, then I would put them in your cases.

sandra9797
11-16-2005, 08:19 AM
Oh i didn't know that this would be a problem,i purchased them of ebay,thought they would be a good idea if as a family we wanted to go our seperate ways for some rides at the parks therefore we could still get in touch.All i know is that they are made by midland and have 15 different frequencys and have been used abroad,well so they said.

Goofyish
11-16-2005, 08:37 AM
Just been doing some inverstigations and the UK/European specification for two-way radios is called: PMR446

In the US there are two specifications; FRS (CFR, Part 95.191-95.194) and GMRS (CFR, Part 95.1-95.181).

So if you check on the radios or in the instructions for any mention of the above it should give you an indication on where the radios can be used :)

Or you could try them in the US and if you get through to Chuck the Firefighter instead of your DH you will know they are UK ones :)

Rascal1003
11-16-2005, 09:57 AM
I wouldn't worry about all that frequency nonsense. I am sure that the US Emergency Services would use a secure frequency and it is unlikely you will interfere. Thousands of people from all over the world use them in the parks and there don't seem to be any warnings about it anywhere.
We took ours (x4 handsets) and didn't have any trouble, apart from the family not being able to co-ordinate the pressing of the button with the actual speaking !!

I packed all mine in my hand luggage, for your info....with no problem.

#1MMFan
11-16-2005, 10:00 AM
Used mine from the UK (the mickey ones that you can also buy in the States) without a problem. Packed in cases - which is what was being suggested recently; after all your cases can be opened and examined anyways, so why have to put them in hand luggage? Now, I just use my mobile phone in the parks if I need to, but then I receive texts etc from US friends so I like to have my mobile on me.

Cochise
11-16-2005, 11:11 AM
I was gonna post a question about Walkie Talkies after we returned.

Hope nobody minds. Take for example the $30 models from Wallmart, do these work really well? I presume they are all analogue signals? I spose they are not too secure but who is bother when all you are talking about is meeting up at Soarin etc