PDA

View Full Version : Do the US folks have sales after Thanks Giving?

Supercod
11-15-2005, 09:00 PM
I am going to do a bit of shopping, probably Premium Outlets or Florida Mall will ask the driver when I get there what he recommends, but I am leaning towards Premium Outlets… anyways a friend who never been to the USA before said that they have some cracking sales after Thanks Giving, is this true? I kind of think my friend gets all his knowledge of the states from TV shows and Films so I am not 100% trusting of this great source of wisdom and information ;)

basas
11-15-2005, 09:11 PM
Oh you bet they do! Not only that...at some stores people line up at 3am and then when the doors are opened, people stampede in. Some major stores have lines for blocks (just to get in) at 4 in the morning.

Supercod
11-15-2005, 09:29 PM
LOL I am not the stamped type of guy but I sure wouldn’t mind picking up a few bargains during normal opening hours ;)

Thanks for the reply, as you might know buying stuff in the USA for us overpriced British folk is already making big savings so getting to be around during a decent sale as well, should make it a bargain hunters dream ;) … I can see myself leaving all the clothes I have taken with me from the UK if I am lucky!

Lewisc
11-15-2005, 09:35 PM
It's called "black friday" and some of the retailers have a few items available in VERY LIMITED QUANTITIES at a great price.

http://blackfriday.gottadeal.com/

Be careful, AR means after a (mail in) rebate. I'm pretty sure they won't ship the rebate check to a non-US address.

Supercod
11-15-2005, 09:48 PM
I be a trivia master with my new found knowledge ;) .. You know it's starting to sound like the day after thanks giving will be totally packed in the stores.

Anyway I am pretty excited as this adds a whole extra bonus to the holiday that I was not expecting.. Also I just noticed a Costco in South Orlando, I am pretty sure my Costco UK memberships gets me in, also I never been to a Wallmart, and always wanted to see what it was like. Anyway have to head to bed, have work in the morning, getting carried away reading and planning from this forum ;)

Lewisc
11-15-2005, 09:59 PM
http://www.bfads.net/
also has some advance black friday ads.

Might you just bring some empty suitcases and clothes on your back?

isla bonita
11-15-2005, 10:37 PM
Many Many sales and they generally start very very early.

SimonV
11-15-2005, 11:35 PM
Unless you are a REALLY hardened shopper (like, in quick-setting cement!), you might want to give Black Friday a miss. The locals pile in by the thousand and the car parks and surounding roads are often jammed at 9am (and earlier :eek: ). The last time we went near OPO on a sale day (and not at Thanksgiving, but the New Year), people were practcally abandoning their cars in the road by way of 'parking' and the queue from the 535 NB waiting to turn off on to Vineland Road was over TWO MILES long!!!! Yes, there are some great bargains, but you either need to be up at the crack of dawn to get them, or have nerves of steel to battle through the hordes later on. It CAN be fun (of a kind :rolleyes: ) but it is not necessarily something I'd want to waste a day of my percious holiday on. The normal prices are usually pretty good, and you have to weigh up whether you mind spending 12 hours or so to save $100 more than you would at other times. Just my $0.02.....! :teeth:

Tigger113
11-16-2005, 12:22 AM
I agree! Friday after Thanksgiving is a CRAZY day! Even if you are lucky enough to pick up something you want the wait in line to pay can be upwards to an hour, but you know, I always do it, it wouldn't be the start of the Holidays if I didn't :earboy2:

Kerryc
11-16-2005, 03:48 AM
Indeed they do, they are marvellous but you have to get up very early and be prepared to do battle!!! We got double baggage this year , we're primed and ready to go!! we are in walking distance of belz and Festival Bay this year so we are leaving the car at the hotel!!

Lewisc
11-16-2005, 10:00 AM
I've never been to the UK but I suspect the crowds at Black Friday compare with the mobs I see on the TV news when Harrods has their sale.

By late morning the mall parking lots are generally completely full. If you're not looking to grab the almost free loss leaders you might try later and just buy the stuff that's still left. Compusa is actually opening at midnight and will be open for 24 hours.

disney13
11-16-2005, 11:20 AM
Most of the real bargains are those that give money back via a mail-in rebate. Unless you have friends/family with a US address, they are worthless!

We could always send them ALL to Simon though! :rotfl:

Andy

Supercod
11-16-2005, 03:54 PM
Might you just bring some empty suitcases and clothes on your back?

Well I am taking 5 days worth of clothes so I should have plenty of room. However my son has baggage allowance as we bought him a Childs seat even though we could have flown free for him as he only 1 but we need the fighting space LOL ;) I think I be good with my one, I know what I want. Couple pairs of new trainers (sneakers), jeans, t-shirts, shirts and that's it really. Mind you if wife goes mental I can see us buying another suit case when we are over ;)

SimonV
11-16-2005, 04:17 PM
We could always send them ALL to Simon though!

As long as you don't mind the funds 'resting' in my bank account for a while, feel free :teeth: