PDA

View Full Version : How much to tip?

susieh
11-14-2005, 05:21 PM
I've seen threads on forums saying that expected tipping is now 20% for normal service and more for good service.

We've always tipped about 15% - up or down a bit depending on service. 20% seems a lot to me.

Am I being stingy - should we be budgetting for 20%? What do other Brits do?

k-herm
11-14-2005, 05:44 PM
In October we noticed that a number of restaurants [on and off site] would include a "gratuity guide" along with the bill. This would state that a recommended amount was between 15%-20%.

In reality, we left approx. 15% at buffets, and 20% at table service. Never anything more.

However, the guy serving us at Hollywood and Vine [buffet] was great and got 20%, but the gal at Tony Romas [table service] was offhand so got 10%.

I wouldn't worry too much about whether to give 15% or 20%...do what you feel is right.

gilld
11-15-2005, 01:18 AM
We tend to tip 20% rounded up or down as appropriate, and more or less depending on service.

alanjones
11-15-2005, 02:15 AM
We've always tipped around 15% everyone, a little bit less in buffets sometimes unless they've been very good. Once we left a tip of about 23 cents though. The service was the worst I have ever experienced, so we just wanted to show just what we though of it :p

Goofyish
11-15-2005, 06:29 AM
We always thought that 15% in table service restaurants was the norm for average service, but for some reason this now seems to have crept up to 20%.
Not quite sure why this has increased - perhaps this new figure has been spread about by the serving staff themselves ;)
I know that tipping is the norm in the US due to the low basic wage and the way income tax is caclulated, but it still annoyes me when a tip becomes more of a service charge than a way of saying thanks for good service :)

WaT05
11-15-2005, 06:38 AM
I am a little confused about the whole tipping thing. Sorry if I sound stupid :blush: but I presume it works the same way it does here, they bring the bill, you pay either card or cash. They take it away and bring back your change or not and then you leave the tip on the plate before you go is that right?? Also when they bring the bill does this include the 6.5% tax and do you tip based on that added or what the meal is before tax??

Thanks
Hazel

Goofyish
11-15-2005, 06:41 AM
I tip on the pre-tax amount, but before any discounts are taken off.

mickg7dyd
11-15-2005, 07:34 AM
Hi,
I usually tip double the tax for "average" service and a little more if it's better. Never tip more than $2 per person at buffets has generally I do most of the work. I have no problem tipping good service but I do have a problem with the % rule as generally I don't think I get any better service for an expensive meal (Rose & Crown for example) than for a cheaper off site meal. Just as side issue do most of you tip valet parkers at drop off and collection or just collection..?

Mick.

:smooth:

Mrs Dazzle
11-15-2005, 08:04 AM
The waiting staff in the US get taxed before they earn the money, and they do get taxed quite harshly, which is why - in the whole - the service is excellent because they need the tips.

We tend to tip 20% if good service, 15% if mediorce.

As a point of interest, we were advised many years ago by our Floridian friends that if you are eating in a buffet restaurant, you only tip $1 per person, since all they do really is serve your drink. The amount of people the average buffet restaurant (Sizzler, Ponderosa, Golden Corral etc) turn over in the mornings alone probably still nets a reasonable tip per server.

IMHO we, over here, are not used to overly brilliant service which is why it does gall sometimes to pay these tips. However, we ARE happy to pay this since the quality of service is far superior to most on offer over here.

Don't forget you also tip bellboys, car valets (even if free parking), bar servers, chambermaids, and so on . . . .

JohnnySharp2
11-15-2005, 08:39 AM
I think if you are given friendly quality service then 15-20% is fine.
You do though, not very often in our experience, get the odd occasion where the service has not been particularly good.

Personally I do not think you should feel you have to tip if the service has been poor.

susieh
11-15-2005, 08:44 AM
Don't forget you also tip bellboys, car valets (even if free parking), bar servers, chambermaids, and so on . . . .

We have never tipped the chambermaids at DVC - should we?

And we dont use bellboys or car valets so no tips there. I also would not tip bar servers - that's just going too far.

I guess we tip in restaurants and coffee shops etc but that's all. Maybe we'll think a bit harder in future.

(Mrs Dazzle - your name cracks me up *** my son's nickname is Mr Dazzle (he was christened that at University))

mikki.young
11-15-2005, 12:06 PM
Our Floridian friends tell is the tip is on the pre tax amount - we had been doing 15% on the post tax amount for years so being more generous than we intended! :rotfl2: We do vary according to the service - great service gets more and poor service gets less. With the DDE tend to bring it back up to what it would have been before the 20% discount or a bit less.

We do tip at DVC but tend to leave something at the end of the trip based on what the service had been like - muh easier than trying to get them on the right day when they come round but you do run the risk of the wrong person getting the tip. DVC gets a lot less than Mousekeepers because they only do a full clean once every 8 days.

gavvy
11-15-2005, 12:12 PM
You should tip a min of 15% even if you recieve poor service, I was a server in America once, and i got taxed based on the turn over of my table- basically if you dident tip me, id still be taxed as if i was tipped- so losing money, also my wage was $1.50 ph, this was 3 years ago, so i really depended on the tips.

If you dont like tipping for service, dont go to america, as your expected to pay for any service given!

Bellis Belle
11-15-2005, 12:32 PM
Goofyfish, I completely agree. The employers should start paying these people a decent basic wage rather than relying on us to supplement their income. I do not mind tipping for excellent service and did over tip quite a few times whilst we were away. What annoys me is when you give them a $100 bill for a $60 meal and they ask if you want change. Well hello, yes that would be nice. This is the oly thing that puts me off the states (would never stop me going) I hasten to add but the tipping thing is out of hand. We tipped anywhere between 10% for average service up to 20% if good. :)

Shooby doo
11-15-2005, 12:43 PM
We normally tip 10-15 % dependant on the level of sevice,I would have to say that 20% over a whole holiday would be a fair amount tho! I have noticed though that some (not all but alot) locals/americans just leave a "few" dollars on the table & the % rule doesn't seem to apply to them! I would have to say that the level of service has deteriorated from our first trip,you sort of get the impression that "they" know they are going to get 15% anyway so why bother trying! Have to say though that if we recieve bad service we generally don't go back & even at it's worst it's still 100 x better than our service in the UK !!

SD :paw:

AlanUK
11-15-2005, 12:56 PM
We are very much in line with the average here tipping between 15% and 20% depending on the level of service recieved. The 15% gets put down for acceptable service and the 20% goes down for good service. :)

We also always make sure that we tip the maids, bell boys and valets at all the resorts whether we are using our DVC points or not.

Fortunately I can only remember one instance where we have had bad service and at the time we were with some of our US friends who handled the situation marvellously whilst DW and I hid in the corner of the restaraunt :rotfl:

Alan.

wayneg
11-15-2005, 01:00 PM
You should tip a min of 15% even if you recieve poor service, I was a server in America once, and i got taxed based on the turn over of my table- basically if you dident tip me, id still be taxed as if i was tipped- so losing money, also my wage was $1.50 ph, this was 3 years ago, so i really depended on the tips.

If you dont like tipping for service, dont go to america, as your expected to pay for any service given!

Don't usually get involved with this subject as everyone as people from different backgrounds and cultures have differing opinions but I just can't believe this statement. has it just been posted to wind people up?
I have been going to Orlando for over 12 years now and 99/100 get v good service and tip appropriately but on the odd occasion I get poor service eg. Golden Corral this Oct, the server either had a very bad case of flu or was on drugs, she was a mess and so was her service, basically had to do everything ourselves. Why should I tip her? staff that give bad service should not be tipped 1 cent They are in the wrong job, they should not be in the service industry.

Kevin Stringer
11-15-2005, 01:04 PM
I agree with the 15 - 20 % rule. It's usually closer to 15% for us, but then we round up to sensible numbers. For example, if the bill including 15% tip comes to $77.65, we leave $80.

One thing that does annoy me a little is when you have a fairly expensive bottle of wine with your meal and are expected to include this in the tip. There is no more work involved in pouring a glass of expensive wine than a cheap one.

Gavvy - Sorry, can't agree with you. I don't think you should have to tip 15% for poor service. Where is the incentive for the server to do a good job? I thought that was the whole point of tipping.

Kev

AlanUK
11-15-2005, 01:04 PM
I think I read somewhere before that if you think the service is terrible you should leave 1 cent rather than nothing which might just be seen as you forgetting to leave anything ;) The 1 cent tells the server that you thought their service was bad! :mad:

Laurafoster
11-15-2005, 02:00 PM
I agree - leaving something small like a few cents shows the server that their service was bad - hope***lly they will then be nicer to the next table.

I dont ususally tip 15-20% for poor service - but aslong as this is not down to the waiter...i.e the food was terrible. Sometimes the problem seems to be in the kitchen etc so its not the servers fault.

Miffy2003
11-15-2005, 02:27 PM
I tip 15% for good service, more for outstanding service :)

I do tip the maids at DVC Susie, I tend to leave $1 per person occupying the room but I have no idea if that is the right thing to do or not LOL

Laurafoster
11-15-2005, 03:07 PM
Thats what i tend to tip! $1 per person for the maids.

Soprano
11-15-2005, 06:21 PM
I observed a lot of people tip last time I was there. Mostly at the buffet restaurants, I should add, it was the American's who seemed to tip the least. $2 or so.

The times I ate at the Ponderosa, I expect a coffee and toast within a few minutes of arriving at my table. Certainly when I get back to the table with my food. I really need that coffee in the morning and expect two refills. I get this I am happy and they get their tip. If the coffee is late, I tip 1.

A lot depends on where you actually are eating. Buffet restaurants can't really expect to have heavy tips as the quality of the food is fine, but not outstanding.

SimonV
11-15-2005, 06:37 PM
You should definitely not tip much for poor service, that is a well-established rule of thumb. Yes, servers ARE taxed on the basis they receive 15% in tips, but some get more than 15% if they do a good job, and it is definitely still an incentive for good service. Sadly, many Brits still do not tip AT ALL, which leaves those of us who are aware of this custom with a bad reputation, but the bottom line is just to stick with the 15-20% amount, depending on what you are comfortable with and how well you have been served. Really bad service should also be brought to the attention of the manager, as they would definitely rather know if something isn't right as it affects future custom.

Cochise
11-16-2005, 06:56 AM
What annoys me is when you give them a $100 bill for a $60 meal and they ask if you want change. Well hello, yes that would be nice.

We were caught out with this once. I went totally spare when i twigged. If i got bad service they get 7.5% but never anymore than 15% for good, sometimes i added extra coins (dimes etc) to this. So for example the lass in Bennigans when told the chicken sandwich was full of grissle and she replied with "Yeah I dont like it too when that happens" and walked off - Guess what she got?

JohnnySharp2
11-16-2005, 07:04 AM
We were caught out with this once. I went totally spare when i twigged. If i got bad service they get 7.5% but never anymore than 15% for good, sometimes i added extra coins (dimes etc) to this. So for example the lass in Bennigans when told the chicken sandwich was full of grissle and she replied with "Yeah I dont like it too when that happens" and walked off - Guess what she got?

Very little I would hope - I actually do not tip at all if the service is bad.

Goofyish
11-16-2005, 07:05 AM
Just out of interest - how is the 15% calculated for tax perposes?

Is it based on the average takings for the whole restaurant, or the tables that the server is covering or is it based on 15% of the server's basic wage?

#1MMFan
11-16-2005, 09:15 AM
Yeah, I can't agree on the "don't go to america if you aren't going to tip 15% minimum". I work hard for my money, and if you don't I'm not supplementing your income. If you end up 'losing money' that is YOUR punishment for not serving well or being polite. Where exactly do you see MUG stamped on me. I am a more than generous tipper if the service is good, but will not be taken for a ride. I don't think my cousins would be either, and they are American.

Oh and, for those who leave 1 cent for bad service... why not write on the server's receipt that you do not leave a tip for poor service. Plain english... spell it out. I really don't see why you should leave something when you are annoyed, and to be honest who wants to get embroiled in a conversation with a manager over something trivial as poor, (but not obnoxious) service when you are on holiday to enjoy yourself and relax.. too much like work to me!!! By all means leave it on a comments card instead. haha.

gavvy
11-16-2005, 02:17 PM
Don't usually get involved with this subject as everyone as people from different backgrounds and cultures have differing opinions but I just can't believe this statement. has it just been posted to wind people up?
I have been going to Orlando for over 12 years now and 99/100 get v good service and tip appropriately but on the odd occasion I get poor service eg. Golden Corral this Oct, the server either had a very bad case of flu or was on drugs, she was a mess and so was her service, basically had to do everything ourselves. Why should I tip her? staff that give bad service should not be tipped 1 cent They are in the wrong job, they should not be in the service industry.

You tip because you are paying for a service- even if its bad you tip, if you get good or great service tip more- if its bad let them know !

If your in a buffett then the server gets paid more and a $ a person is acceptable

In the 1 year i worked as a server the only time i dident get a tip was from british familys who basically and understandably dident know how the service industry works in america, i got paid less than 1 an hour to wait tables, and was taxed on your tip even if i dident get it, if you have bad service let somone know! but i strongly belive that in america you cant get away with not tipping at all

Its just my opinion

ujpest_doza
11-16-2005, 02:46 PM
You tip because you are paying for a service- even if its bad you tip, if you get good or great service tip more- if its bad let them know !

No way , if the service is rubbish or the food is rubbish the restaurant is lucky if it gets paid never mind the server getting a tip!

I usually tip for good service by making the bill up eg if its $25.75 i make it up to $30.00.

But if you are paying for a service you expect it be good, if its not you don't pay period.

gavvy
11-16-2005, 02:58 PM
No way , if the service is rubbish or the food is rubbish the restaurant is lucky if it gets paid never mind the server getting a tip!

I usually tip for good service by making the bill up eg if its $25.75 i make it up to $30.00.

But if you are paying for a service you expect it be good, if its not you don't pay period.

As a server I had no control over the food- that was the kitchen, If the servers rubbish then let him know!, or his manager. If the food is rubbish send it back, its not the servers fault, - unless it was obvious it should not have been sent to your table like that. Its possible to have a bad meal and still have a great server, its not always his fault if the kitchen has let him down. One thing i quickly learnt was if i wanted to earn money I had to work for it, most servers will go out of the way to accomidate you and will probably be just as upset as you if there is something wrong with your meal.

wayneg
11-16-2005, 03:40 PM

If your in a buffett then the server gets paid more and a $ a person is acceptable

In the 1 year i worked as a server the only time i dident get a tip was from british familys who basically and understandably dident know how the service industry works in america, i got paid less than 1 an hour to wait tables, and was taxed on your tip even if i dident get it, if you have bad service let somone know! but i strongly belive that in america you cant get away with not tipping at all

Its just my opinion

I said I wouldn't get drawn into this subject but you've got me.
I think you will be on your own with this one (unlesss there are any other servers out there)
I am in retail myself, I own florist shops. If a customer is not 100% happy with my product or service I give full money back, not keep delivery charge because they were delivered OK or only half of flowers were poor so half money back. I give 100% back and make damn sure the quality and service is spot on next time if they are good enough to come back.
Not happy with what you earn, 2 options, take it up with employers or find another job, never ever take it out on the paying customer, upset them you have no business.

wasabi girl
11-16-2005, 08:07 PM
Hi :wave:
Sorry to poke my nose in the UK board...but just to let you know. Americans hate the tipping thing too. We are sick and tired of tipping everyone for everything. I've got no idea how restaurant employyes making substandard wages ever got started...but that is they way it is done.
Also we live in the land of the gigantic portions for cheap prices...I'm sure most people wouldn't like restaurant prices to go up to cover the increased cost (including all of the taxes) to pay normal wages...so although we are used to tipping, it is one of those things that seem sort of wrong but how to fix the whole system? Thanks for listening.

AlanUK
11-17-2005, 03:05 AM
Hi Wasabi girl,

Thanks for coming over and posting :)

It's interesting to hear that some of the Americans find the tipping culture to be just as strange as we Brits do. ;)

#1MMFan
11-17-2005, 01:27 PM
I agree, how refreshing to hear Wasabi girl's remarks. My US relatives don't talk about the tipping thing much, but I imagine they feel similarly. I know that when they came over here, they tried to tip way too much in a restaurant in Glasgow and we had to point out that they don't expect the same size of tip over here.

gilld
11-18-2005, 04:26 AM
I agree, how refreshing to hear Wasabi girl's remarks. My US relatives don't talk about the tipping thing much, but I imagine they feel similarly. I know that when they came over here, they tried to tip way too much in a restaurant in Glasgow and we had to point out that they don't expect the same size of tip over here.
We usually tip around 15% here, to exactly the same people we tip in the USA ie waiters, taxi drivers, hair/beauty salon, bellhops etc. The only time we wouldn't top here is in a bar, but then we'll sometimes buy the barman a drink.

#1MMFan
11-18-2005, 05:06 AM
We usually tip around 15% here, to exactly the same people we tip in the USA ie waiters, taxi drivers, hair/beauty salon, bellhops etc. The only time we wouldn't top here is in a bar, but then we'll sometimes buy the barman a drink.

What I'm saying is waiters in ordinary restaurants don't seem to expect a 15 tip for a 100 meal, judging by reactions I've had. I do however tip more than generously. Last time I was in London, the cab driver nearly fell over himself with thanks for a meagre tip. Maybe we just tip more north of the border? Ohhh, just being controversial! heheheh, don't flame me!

wayneg
11-18-2005, 05:14 AM
I'm from Yorkshire, Whats a tip? :rotfl2:

gilld
11-18-2005, 05:21 AM
What I'm saying is waiters in ordinary restaurants don't seem to expect a 15 tip for a 100 meal, judging by reactions I've had. I do however tip more than generously. Last time I was in London, the cab driver nearly fell over himself with thanks for a meagre tip. Maybe we just tip more north of the border? Ohhh, just being controversial! heheheh, don't flame me!
I'm afraid I disagree - I think they do expect a decent tip, though they probably wouldn't ask outright, they'd make it known. But since we always tip reasonably well, it doesn't affect us. We would tip considerably less for really poor service, though tht hasn't happened often - maybe we've just been lucky :rotfl:

AlanUK
11-18-2005, 05:30 AM
Don't get me wrong I still tip in this country too :) Probably not as much though, up to about 10% would probably be normal depending on the level service received.

Also in this country I don't feel I have to tip everyone for everything they do for me. In the US I sometimes feel quite concious of peoples assistance, sometimes it can be almost forced upon you and then you are expected to tip someone for a service you didn't really need in the first place.

susieh
11-18-2005, 07:16 AM
We got caught out our first trip to Orlando - the sky cap grabbed our cases and put them on a trolley before we had chance to stop him. We then realised we only had $10 minmum bills so had to give him that even though we only had 2 suitcases and both of them were wheely ones too!

Now we hold tight to our cases and move them ourselves!

keasden
11-18-2005, 04:04 PM
I'm from Yorkshire, Whats a tip? :rotfl2:

Yorkshire? Now thats a tip! :rotfl: (spoken like a true Lancastrian)

Red-Snapper
11-19-2005, 02:43 AM
On our first trip to Orlando we were followed down the road by the waitress from TGi's cause we thought the bill included the tip and so didnt leave anything extra. :confused3

Even though we were (unknowingly) in the wrong I was so humiliated by this that I paid up the minimum I could work out while stood on the street and we never went back.

It does annoy me now though, many years later, to get one of those patronising "to our international customers" cards with the bill :)

Laurafoster
11-19-2005, 03:53 AM
I used to work in a restaurant before i left college and would have to say most of the UK rarely leave a "decent" tip. i used to have tables who would order 150 of food and then leave 1 or so tip!! Although its not aswell known in the UK the average is still 10-15% for good service, obviously less for bad service.

Goofyish
11-19-2005, 07:02 AM
I think the difference in tipping in the UK and the US, is in the UK it is a tip to say an extra thank you for good service. In the US it's a service charge to supplement low rages - it's even taxed as such by the government.

What I hate is being 'asked' for a tip; I find that rude. I also hate it when you get the check and the server has written in big letters "tip not included". I guess they only do this if you have an English accent :)

Another example was on a shuttle bus from our IDrive hotel to WDW - all round the drivers seat were large signs saying things like: "Tipping is a great way to say thanks to your driver", not just one sign, but about 5!

eyoreaud
11-19-2005, 07:08 AM
:rotfl2: Yes Tim, i know what you mean. But we always tip for good service, ad if there is already a service charge then we only tip extra if the service has been very good. We do the same at home as well. If service has been bad and there is a service charge then i'm afraid i would have to subtract the charge and leave something like a $1 bill to get my point accross. I think this is fair because the servers shouldn't think it's a god given right to be tipped for bad service as this sends the wrong message, even if they have already been taxed. :)

Audrey

#1MMFan
11-19-2005, 07:20 AM
On our first trip to Orlando we were followed down the road by the waitress from TGi's cause we thought the bill included the tip and so didnt leave anything extra. :confused3

Even though we were (unknowingly) in the wrong I was so humiliated by this that I paid up the minimum I could work out while stood on the street and we never went back.

It does annoy me now though, many years later, to get one of those patronising "to our international customers" cards with the bill :)

I think what the server did was disgraceful. I would not have given in in that situation. How unbelievably ignorant.

wayneg
11-19-2005, 03:46 PM
Yorkshire? Now thats a tip! :rotfl: (spoken like a true Lancastrian)

Very good. I have heard the only things good in Lancashire are the roads out. :rotfl: :banana:

I think we best stop there with the White/Red rose jokes at least we're not in a southern county :rotfl2:

Cinderella
11-19-2005, 04:38 PM
I tip about 15% - maybe more if it is great service - less if buffett or counter service (10%). I have to laugh when i read about all these low wages - i am from the north of england so the wages are low. But, over five years ago, i talked to a cm from scotland who works in chef mickeys - he was getting about 7.70 an hour plus tips - he said the tips were a lot better than his wages and i can't remember the figures he quoted but they were like hundreds of extra dollars per week. but he did say that you have to work a while at disney to get a tippable position. But the money he was talking about earning was great and i was beginning to wonder if we are not being taken for mugs with all of this tipping thing. These people do a great job - well most of them - but they are not doctors or attourneys - they wait on tables.

ujpest_doza
11-20-2005, 05:01 PM

In an episode of the Sopranos a waiter made the mistake of doing that to 2 of the Soprano crew and got filled with lead!!

Danauk
11-20-2005, 05:52 PM
Very good. I have heard the only things good in Lancashire are the roads out. :rotfl: :banana:

I think we best stop there with the White/Red rose jokes at least we're not in a southern county :rotfl2:

:rotfl2: :rotfl: Too funny. I'm a Yorkshire girl at heart and as I point out to my family I still live North of the Watford Gap!!

Seriously though, tipping is one thing I hate when visiting the USA. Not because I don't like doing it but because I am afraid to get it wrong and be seen as someone who is cheap. I have spent as much time researching the best days, restaurants etc for this trip as I have spent finding out what is the acceptable tip for bell hop, valet parking, spa services etc!!