PDA

View Full Version : Changing British currency in USA

Kerryc
11-14-2005, 08:32 AM
My hubby has decided to take some spare cash in the form of 50 notes (less bulky) in case we need to dib into it. I think we may have a problem changing them over there as they are not widely used. Anyone have any problems cashing money over there?

grannyed
11-14-2005, 08:59 AM
my brother and his family went 2 years ago and they said that hey would never rely on Sterling again especially because travellers cheques are practically the same as cash.

He had to find a bank - which meant asking locally since there doesn't seem to be many banks in the touristy areas - plenty of ATMs - also he didn't see any bureau de change apart ffom at the airport . Then after getting directions he had to drive specifically to it and queue to change his money - he says it seemed to be a very unusual request for them and was quite lengthy - much better to take travellers cheques

howewver sincethen I think I have seen that there is a currency exchange available in Magic Kingdom

susan1
11-14-2005, 09:04 AM
hi
i wouldn't advise taking sterling it is extremeley hard to change and as previously stated there are hardly any banks, mainly drive throughs and atm's. you can use switch/maestro in the atm's also any credit cards. travellers cheques are the safest bet!

Kerryc
11-14-2005, 11:05 AM
hi
i wouldn't advise taking sterling it is extremeley hard to change and as previously stated there are hardly any banks, mainly drive throughs and atm's. you can use switch/maestro in the atm's also any credit cards. travellers cheques are the safest bet!

we plenty enough travellers cheques and our credit card Susan, the cash is only going to be for emergency if we run out (which I doubt) so we wont be wanting to cash huge amounts.

Claire L
11-14-2005, 11:09 AM
Personally I would never try and change sterling in the US. If you need extra cash as an emergency use your cash card, ATM's are all over the place.
Claire ;)

terrynewpack
11-14-2005, 11:26 AM
Waste of time taking sterling. If you find anyone to change it they will give you a rate which will be worse than you could imagine.

Terry :) :)

Amyrlin
11-14-2005, 11:35 AM
Better to put the cash on a card or in an account that has a card and then use the card.

susan1
11-14-2005, 12:41 PM
hi
thanks all for confirming what i said.
suan

Laurafoster
11-14-2005, 03:15 PM
Also i used to work for a bank and some foreign banks will only accept large notes like 50 in new or clean notes as there are a lot a fakes out there so just make sure they dont have much writing on or anything!

tim june and sam
11-15-2005, 03:51 PM
Don't do it - they would look at you like you were trying to trade narcotics or something similar. Remember that most US people have never left the country (why would they?) and probably don't even know that the whole world doesn't use $$$$. ::MickeyMo

Kerryc
11-15-2005, 05:19 PM
He's seen sense and put it back in the bank. We always take sterling to Greece and exchange it over there as you get a far better rate, but this is the USA we are talking about!!!

ColUK
11-15-2005, 06:57 PM
About 7 years ago when I first went to Orlando my aunt and uncle swore by taking sterling (they had never been to the US) even though everyone at home said dont do it in the USA. When my aunt went to try change some cash in a bank they said "no" and actually said there were only 2 banks in Orlando that would do it!
Take TC's or use your cash card is my advice if you want cash.