PDA

View Full Version : Birthday treat

eeyoreangel1
11-13-2005, 11:48 AM
We will be out in WDW for my mums 39th birthday next easter, :bday: me and my dad are planning a treat for my unsuspecting mum but we don't know what to do and we thought that someone out there must have an idea of what we can do. We have thought of the dolly parton thingy but we didn't think that would be mum's idea of fun :scared1: Any ideas gratefully received

mikki.young
11-13-2005, 12:11 PM
I've heard good reports of the Segway tour at Epcot - it's unusual and fun and a good way to see some of Epcot without the crowds.

Ali and boyz
11-13-2005, 12:23 PM
Cirque du soleil. for me and I am around the same age as your mum that would have been a great treat going before the show for a nice meal at DTD :)

Danauk
11-13-2005, 12:59 PM
How about some pampering time at the GF or SSR spa. Or if you wanted to do something as a family how about a tour. Also book a dinner for you all at one of the signature restaruants such as California Grill or Citricos.

slinky101
11-13-2005, 01:18 PM
if you can get one, I would recommend an illuminations cruise or wishes cruise, we did it in may for my DD's 9th birthday in may, it was really really special and a great way to celebrate a birthday, we had the illuminations cruise and had the boat decorated with birthday baloons etc and a cake. :dog2:

dor1
11-13-2005, 01:21 PM
Hi-if you visit one of the disney parks in the day make sure you tell them theres a birthday as they will give you a badge for the birthday person to wear-you'll find everyone is wishing you happy b/day if the badge is worn.
Dollys stampede is good fun-but i think a night at epcot watching the fireworks would be better.

Minniespal
11-13-2005, 01:28 PM
I took my mum for Afternoon Tea in the GF for her birthday. It was lovely and she really enjoyed it.

gilld
11-13-2005, 01:36 PM
What about the Keys to the Kingdom Tour at MK - REALLY good and not too expensive.

Laurafoster
11-13-2005, 02:47 PM
We did the illuminations cruise for my mums 42nd bday this year!

You can order a small cake at the bakery on the boardwalk before - they can personalize it for you aswell - you can also order drinks for the cruise.

FYI you can ask for a birthday badge any day - just so that you have it ready for the day u need it!

A cool idea we got from someone else was to get a card - get it signed by Mickey mouse and put some disney dollars inside it! you could also get a disney gift card! they are sold in most shops!

disneyholic family
11-13-2005, 03:34 PM
all of the suggestions you've received so far are excellent and now you'll have the difficult task of choosing one (or a few)..

my mom flew down to be with us for her 78th birthday (my mom lives in the states, we live overseas)....she was with us for 3 days and it was basically a 3 day celebration which included a character breakfast at the Chystal Palace in the Magic Kingdom.....i told them when i made the reservation and again when i checked in that it was my mom's 78th birthday....in the middle of breakfast all the characters and a bunch of CMs came over with a cupcake with a candle in it and sang happy birthday to her....then all the characters got all the kids up to dance around the restaurant singing that it's her day (or something like that)....my mom, who is a very proper, aristocratic sort of person, was so happy.....clapping along with everyone....she just loved it..
and she enjoyed the breakfast buffet as well..

then let's see....for lunch we took her to the plaza restaurant (at the end of main street)....they had a table all decorated for her when we came in....with birthday confetti.....again the CMs brought over a cupcake with a sparkler and sang happy birthday and hugged and kissed her....it was terribly sweet and my mom again was very happy about the whole thing...

for dinner we again took her out and then went over to the MK to watch Wishes.....

and of course she had the "it's my birthday" button that they give out in the parks...

of the suggestions already made, i really like the Grand Floridian spa suggestion....i took my sister and daughter there as a treat this year and we all really enjoyed it.....it's very relaxing....of the two spas, i much prefer the GF's...it's smaller, but i think nicer than the one at the SSR....

eeyoreangel1
11-14-2005, 06:43 AM
once again thanks everybody for the suggestions. Two questions disneyholic family, how do you go about getting a character breakfast, how far in advance do you have to book and how much does it cost? Just one more quick question what is a birthday button and how do we go about getting one. :worship:

MazdaUK
11-14-2005, 09:19 AM
Prices for character breakfasts vary according to location - see Allears for prices, reviews and advice on booking (180 days in advance if staying onsite). We had a Crystal palace (see below) and a Chef Mickey character breakfast, but if we go again I'd do one served "family style" (food brought to you) rather than a buffet as less stressful.

I believe you get a birthday button (US for badge :rolleyes1 ) from the "Town Hall" inside MK - there may be other places

http://www.wdwinfo.com/photopost/data/500/73452cropped-thumb.jpg (http://www.wdwinfo.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=4922)http://www.wdwinfo.com/photopost/data/500/73452boystigger-thumb.jpg (http://www.wdwinfo.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=6611)http://www.wdwinfo.com/photopost/data/500/73452boyspiglet-thumb.jpg (http://www.wdwinfo.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=6610)

angel659
11-14-2005, 11:46 AM
Hi

I am also interested in this thread. We are travelling in March 2007 it will be my dh 30th while we are there.

How much is the illumination cruise? Sorry I hope you dont mind me asking.

He said he would like to go to either Planet Hollywood or Rainforest Cafe. I thought we could do that later after the illuminations or something. Not sure what to do. I know he likes Garden Grill.

Amyrlin
11-14-2005, 11:55 AM
You book a characer breakfast by caling disney dining on 001 407 WDW DINE and the Cruise of 001 407 WDW PLAY.

If it were my birthday I would love the cruise, I did it with the old Fantasy in the Sky and it was really nice and I am told it is better now.

MazdaUK
11-14-2005, 12:42 PM
If you're onsite make sure you let the hotel know about any special dates. They don't guarantee to do anything but you may get extra pixie dust - we celebrated my - ehem - 20th for the second time :blush: and our 15th anniversary (yes I was a kindergarten bride :earseek: :blush: :rotfl: ) and we got two bunches of ballons plus signed cards

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y243/MazdaUK/ballons.jpg

Ali and boyz
11-14-2005, 01:57 PM
Hi

I am also interested in this thread. We are travelling in March 2007 it will be my dh 30th while we are there.

How much is the illumination cruise? Sorry I hope you dont mind me asking.

He said he would like to go to either Planet Hollywood or Rainforest Cafe. I thought we could do that later after the illuminations or something. Not sure what to do. I know he likes Garden Grill.

can I ask where and what the illumination cruise is

Frances999
11-14-2005, 02:04 PM
can I ask where and what the illumination cruise is
Illuminations Cruises ("speciality cruises") are cruises which depart from the Yacht Club marina and take you on a trip around some of the EPCOT area waterways before mooring up in World Showcase (near International Gateway) to watch the Illuminations. They are truly wonderful! It is so nice to not have to stake out a place an hour or so beforehand, and the view is fantastic. You get your own CM driver (who shares some great info!) and can also purchase drinks/cakes/crisps to have on board. You must book exactly 90 days out, as these cruises sell out fast! The cost is about $250.

There is more information and pricing details here (http://allearsnet.com/btp/illum.htm)

Ali and boyz
11-14-2005, 02:29 PM
Illuminations Cruises ("speciality cruises") are cruises which depart from the Yacht Club marina and take you on a trip around some of the EPCOT area waterways before mooring up in World Showcase (near International Gateway) to watch the Illuminations. They are truly wonderful! It is so nice to not have to stake out a place an hour or so beforehand, and the view is fantastic. You get your own CM driver (who shares some great info!) and can also purchase drinks/cakes/crisps to have on board. You must book exactly 90 days out, as these cruises sell out fast! The cost is about $250.

There is more information and pricing details here (http://allearsnet.com/btp/illum.htm)

Sorry more questions ;) where can you log on to to find out more

Frances999
11-14-2005, 02:35 PM
Sorry more questions ;) where can you log on to to find out more
I'm not sure of many other websites (other than the one I gave you) which have any more information than that one. If you want to reserve or speak to Disney about the cruises, you need to call 407-WDW-PLAY. :)

Ali and boyz
11-14-2005, 03:04 PM
I'm not sure of many other websites (other than the one I gave you) which have any more information than that one. If you want to reserve or speak to Disney about the cruises, you need to call 407-WDW-PLAY. :)

thanks, just wondered if it was possible if you were in a wheelchair . looking at the pictures on the other website I would say no. thanks again

Amyrlin
11-14-2005, 03:10 PM
Yes, you can take wheelchairs on if you need to, or so I am told. They are pontoon style boats, so there are no steps at all. My mother is disabled, but walked on easily. Best to call them and ask, but I have been told they can.

disneyholic family
11-15-2005, 08:36 AM
once again thanks everybody for the suggestions. Two questions disneyholic family, how do you go about getting a character breakfast, how far in advance do you have to book and how much does it cost? Just one more quick question what is a birthday button and how do we go about getting one. :worship:

sorry for the slow response.....i've been in bed sick, coughing my guts out (nice picture, eh)..
anyway....i think others have already answered your question regarding how to make the reservation...

we didnt' make it very much in advance....i made them a few days in advance, since i didn't know my mom would be flying down to be with us...
i was able to get all the times i wanted...
but since your dates are more certain, you can make the reservations way in advance....

regarding the speciality cruises...i can't remember how much they cost....something like $275 for the boat....
personally i didn't like the illuminations cruise (but most people on this board did like it)....it's the one that goes to epcot for their fireworks..
however, i do think that the wishes cruise is quite nice and romantic....on that one you're out on bay lake (or is it called the seven seas lagoon there?...i can never remember)..
you get to see the MK Wishes fireworks on that cruise...

they probably talk about it on allearsnet

I really think the suggestions of a nice meal at one of the fancy restaurants would be very nice for your mom.....there are so many really nice restaurants at WDW.....she would probably like that too...

in fact, i'm sure she'll like anything you do for her....after all just being in WDW together with her family for her birthday is lovely....

eeyoreangel1
11-15-2005, 03:49 PM
Once again thanks for the reply disneyholic family, hope you are feeling better. Couldn't agree with you more there's nothing better than being in WDW on your birthday with your family. All we have to do now is count the days :hourglass