PDA

View Full Version : July 4th avoid or not

jima
11-06-2005, 11:35 AM
Planning our first trip to Orlando in June/july this year
Should I avoid July 4th or should I really try to be there ?

Presumably it's pretty busy but I assume everywhere is open - what special events do they lay on and are there extra charges ?

TIA

Amyrlin
11-06-2005, 11:37 AM
Personally I would avoid it, it is a holiday and it is in the middle of the US school holidays so it will be very busy.

Miffy2003
11-06-2005, 11:41 AM
jima - welcome to the Disboards :)

I think I would probably avoid the mainstream parks on July 4th - there is usually a special fireworks display (I think - can anyone confirm?) but to be honest if you haven't been before the "ordinary" fireworks are out of this world they are so good :)

Where will you be staying and who are you travelling with?

Please feel free to ask anything else, someone usually knows the answer :flower:

tartangirl
11-06-2005, 12:01 PM
The week of the 4th July is one of the busiest with the 4th being particularly busy in the park.

If you can go early June I would go then. Park hours may be about 1hr less but the parks will be quieter.

Red-Snapper
11-06-2005, 01:37 PM
Have been twice at WDW during 4th July.

Wasnt my cup of tea to be honest but I have posted about this before and a number of people enjoyed it.

The parks get very crowded by early lunchtime and MK is usually full and the gates closed. Was way to packed to get on any ride without at least an hours wait.

We left and tried going back early evening but it was still closed.

The fireworks are extra good - when we were there they had extra ones in between the parks it seemed (viewed from LBV) but dont know if they still do that.

There are also lots of other events - non Disney i.e local fairs /fireworks and a big gathering in the main park in Orlando.

If you like "events" then its fine.

We tend to go now when its less crowded - having said that planning for next year may mean we go early July :sunny:

TinkTatoo
11-07-2005, 02:07 AM
If you have an option it's probably better to avoid going around the 4th. Mid to late June would be a good time to go as the weather should be good and the crowds light. If you are there on the 4th I'd give the parks a miss (we were there one year and they closed MK at 11am as it was at capacity) you could make it a shopping day and take advantage of all those sales ;)

dc1964
11-07-2005, 05:31 AM
definately go, yes the parks are extremly busy but I guess one reason that we all like to go to Flroida is because we are fans of things American and there way of doing things ie, larger than life, big, brash etc. They really do pull the stops out on 4th July, lets face it they don't have much history to celebrate so they make this one special.
If visiting th Universal parks you can buy the front of line express pass for about $25 or book an on-site hotel for te day and this will give you front of line access with your room key for 2 days ie the day of your stay and checkout day. This way there is no need to worry about the queues. Not sure if Disney do the same.

Ali and boyz
11-07-2005, 08:59 AM
def. go but try and avoid the parks on the 4th and try and book for dinner. we have been during this time and we have a day by the pool on the 4th then go out for dinner early to avoid the crowds . wouldn't stop us going at this time

Looby Loo
11-08-2005, 04:02 AM
Jima, I went 1st - 15th July this year and absolutely loved it, :cool1: yes the parks are very busy and there are queues, but the ambience was fantastic!!! :banana: May not be everyones cup of tea but we both thought it was wonderful! It's hot yes, but I found it bearable, just kept remembering to keep the fluid intake up (water, water, water!)

We watched the "special 4th July fireworks" from the beach at WDW Polynesian Resort (had to have dinner reservations at O'hana's to get in as they know that this is a great place to watch the fireworks and Spectromagic) - really magical! :wizard:

The only thing I would say is this was our 4th trip together to WDW so we were semi pro's when it came to rides and shows :rotfl: - we knew which ones we didn't want to do, which ones were a must and what times were best to visit them so it made things a lot easier - with this being your first trip the amount of people and the queues together with just "finding your way around the parks" may be a little overwhelming and I wouldn't like you to think that you had missed out on some things due to the busy - ness of the parks!!

jima
11-08-2005, 06:35 AM
Thanks that's what I suspected
Many years ago I was in New York on the 4th and just walking back from the East River after the fireworks with the crowds was great - as you say the ambience was superb

Well I guess I need to make ADR for O'Hana's as soon as I can - what time did you eat - the kids won't want to hang around too long waiting for the fireworks

Jan5 appears to be 180 days before. Now all I need to do is work out 7am EST!

If I can't get into Ohana's where ele do you knowlegdable folk choose for firework watching ?

thank heavens for this board

jima
11-08-2005, 07:06 AM
Thanks that's what I suspected
Many years ago I was in New York on the 4th and just walking back from the East River after the fireworks with the crowds was great - as you say the ambience was superb

Well I guess I need to make ADR for O'Hana's as soon as I can - what time did you eat - the kids won't want to hang around too long waiting for the fireworks

Jan5 appears to be 180 days before. Now all I need to do is work out 7am EST!

If I can't get into Ohana's where ele do you knowlegdable folk choose for firework watching ?

thank heavens for this board

edinburghlass
11-08-2005, 07:07 AM
We were there 4th July this year and yes it was busy but then it was busy all through the fortnight and we coped with it.

We went to DTD through the day and then to Epcot at night. We just wandered about, didn't attempt any rides as it was our first ever visit. But enjoyed the atmosphere watching Off Kilter at the Canadian pavilion and The Beatles at in UK.

The fireworks were just amazing and we just ambled back for the bus to Pop and although the queues were long they quickly organised more and we didn't have too long to wait.

Looby Loo
11-08-2005, 08:02 AM
Jima, now I am trying to put my thinking head on, it seems such a long time ago now but I think we made ADR's for 7pm @ O'Hanas - we were seated at about 7:30pm (don't know how old your children are but they keep them entertained with coconut racing - I think that was what they were doing, don't have kids myself so we didn't really pay much attention!)

If my memory serves me correctly the fireworks (Fantasy in the Sky) started at 9pm so we just had time to walk down to the beach, find a spot next to the water, grab a complementary towel and send DBF to the bar and they started, just as he sat down!! The other place I was told about for a good ADR was the Californian Grill at the Contempory Resort but I had heard mixed reports!!

I am sooooo jealous - I only wish that we could afford to go back in July 2006 but sadly not!!

Miffy2003
11-08-2005, 01:31 PM
I am sure if you phone 180 days before, you will be able to secure a table at 'Ohana :)

loadsapixiedust
11-09-2005, 02:45 PM
:cheer2: We were there this summer from end of June till 21st July and it was pretty busy all that time. We coped with a bit of planning and a load of ADRs, but it was the heat and humidity that was harder to get on with for us.
MK has a special version of Wishes which shows on a couple of nights, so we saw that on July 3rd with a fantastic view from the balcony of the station at the bottom of Main Street.
On 4th July we spent the day at Discovery Cove (great place to avoid the crowds and a very special day), then went on to MGM in the evening to see the Sorcery In The Sky fireworks. These only show on 4th July and New Year's Eve, so were very special. The park was heaving but the atmosphere was pure holiday excitement and we had a fantastic night just drinking in the holiday vibe.
I wouldn't like to have been trying to get on any rides on either of those evenings, wait times were OTT, but for the atmosphere and experience of being there and those special fireworks, it was worth the effort. We had 21 day tickets, so didn't feel like we had 'wasted' a days park admission on them either. We had planned to try to hop over to Epcot to catch Illumunations later, but a monster thunderstorm put paid to that.
I'd definately consider going at that time again, it was a fabulous experience :cheer2:

jima
11-09-2005, 03:07 PM
Yes I called today to check DC tickets and the guy on the phone suggested july 4th or a weekend as they limit capacity anyway

I think I may well follow your itinery thanks

Flights booked 24/6 - 12/7 - just git toi sort accom etc now !