PDA

View Full Version : can you take boxes of chocolates into the US?

karentan
11-06-2005, 08:19 AM
i know the rules concerning meat and dairy products going into the US (ie you cant!), but would i be allowed to take a sealed box of chocolates (from thorntons) into the US?
planning on taking box of choccies and bottle of scotch whisky as a present for my wedding co-ordinator, but dont want to pay 20 or more for a big box only to have it confiscated at the other end.
thanks in advance
karen

JohnnySharp2
11-06-2005, 08:21 AM
I do not see any reason why not - it's a yes from me.

Johnny

gavvy
11-06-2005, 08:49 AM
choccy is fine I asked before and customs said no prob- anything containing meat however is a big no! - dried milk is also ok if its in an unopened container.
Also no fruit at all - leave it on the plane if you have taken any for a snack during the flight!

karentan
11-06-2005, 08:57 AM
thanks, its good to know they wont get thrown away if i take them!

Deedee
11-06-2005, 11:31 AM
my holiday treat is a box of thorntons i take them every time and have never had a problem

Amyrlin
11-06-2005, 11:34 AM
Yes it is, and yes I have taken it through fully declared in the past.

Laurafoster
11-06-2005, 12:38 PM
hmm thats weird - we took a box of Milk tray through last year and was told we were not allowed to take them through and had them confiscated - we must have had a stroppy person!

susieh
11-06-2005, 12:40 PM
I've taken kilo size bars of Cadbury's chocolate in and my bother has taken boxes of Mars Bars etc with no problems.

wee-haggis
11-06-2005, 01:27 PM
We take chocolate ( and lots of it) every year. We have never had a problem. Besides almost all Duty Free shops have chocolate to buy to take with you.

Queenie
11-06-2005, 03:02 PM
I had some chocolate bars with me this year that I hadn't finished on the plane going out. I checked with the air hostesses and they said it was fine to take into the States. We went through with no problems.

wee-haggis
11-06-2005, 03:06 PM
The only concerns Customs folk have is with meat,fruit,vegetables etc.
The customs guy who got Laurafoster's box of Milk Tray was licking his chops that night !
See more info here
http://help.customs.gov/cgi-bin/customs.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=82&p_created=1043364936&p_sid=R*h4S5Mh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfc m93X2NudD01NDgmcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N 2PSZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1

eblondie
11-06-2005, 04:58 PM
LOL Wee-Haggis!
I was thinking of doing the same thing - buying chcolates (Thorntons) for my wedding Planner. In fact an American friend who is also a bride-to-be liked this idea too...so she has asked me to get some for her. I was planning on packing it rather than it being a carry on.

Ash aka sky
11-06-2005, 10:46 PM
Chocolate (as well as other sweets are not a problem). My cases are like pantries when I come home from the UK last year I even brought back about 8 large packets of Warbutons Crumpets... Mmmm I could kill for some decent english bread... thats on my list for when my family comes to visit.

Ash :)

Twinks
11-10-2005, 08:36 AM
LOL Deedee we bought our traditional box of Thorntons for the flight yesterday. They are doing a special 700g double layer box for 12.00 :goodvibes

Donna

AlanUK
11-10-2005, 10:45 AM
We take the odd bit of Chocolate and some biscuits out for our friends but it is nothing compared to all the yummy stuff that we bring back :teeth:

disneyholic family
11-11-2005, 12:28 PM
i know the rules concerning meat and dairy products going into the US (ie you cant!), but would i be allowed to take a sealed box of chocolates (from thorntons) into the US?
planning on taking box of choccies and bottle of scotch whisky as a present for my wedding co-ordinator, but dont want to pay 20 or more for a big box only to have it confiscated at the other end.
thanks in advance
karen

yes you can bring in chocolates, but you still must declare them on the customs form when you enter the US (that is, check off the "yes" box for the question regarding bringing food).....

AlanUK
11-11-2005, 01:14 PM
Can't say that I have ever done that. :confused3:

It seems daft to say something like that on the visa waiver form and get grilled by customs/immigration as a result all over a box of chocolates. I think I'd just eat them in the immigration hall if it was going to be that much hassle :teeth:

disneyholic family
11-12-2005, 01:53 AM
Can't say that I have ever done that. :confused3:

It seems daft to say something like that on the visa waiver form and get grilled by customs/immigration as a result all over a box of chocolates. I think I'd just eat them in the immigration hall if it was going to be that much hassle :teeth:

you can think it's daft, but that's the rule....and no they don't grill you...
all they do is say 'what food?" and you say "chocolate" - end of story..
in fact on the form i usually write in next to the box "cereal" (since that's what we always have)....they never even ask us a question...

according to the rule (if you look on the US customs website you'll see it) all food must be declared whether it's permitted or not....they can even fine you for bringing in a permitted food if you don't declare it...

Deedee
11-12-2005, 05:02 AM
Hi Donna thanks for that but unfortunately i have 10 months to wait!! Hope you enjoy yours can't beat thorntons

wee-haggis
11-12-2005, 06:51 AM
you can think it's daft, but that's the rule....and no they don't grill you...
all they do is say 'what food?" and you say "chocolate" - end of story..
in fact on the form i usually write in next to the box "cereal" (since that's what we always have)....they never even ask us a question...

according to the rule (if you look on the US customs website you'll see it) all food must be declared whether it's permitted or not....they can even fine you for bringing in a permitted food if you don't declare it...
I think the wait time at customs would be astronomical if everyone was to declare every little chocolate bar etc they brought in (do you declare a stick of gum?....of course not). The Customs people are only looking for fodd like fruit,veggies,meat and other perishables etc.
Again I repeat an earlier comment.....All Duty Free stores across the world include chocolates,biscuits etc in their inventory. It would be ridiculous to think that this would be allowable if everyone had to declare it at every border crossing.

Amyrlin
11-12-2005, 07:07 AM
Whatever they are looking for it oniy takes a few mins to fill in the white cusoms forms. If they do catch you not having completed it you can be fined $1,000 for each item and may also be subject to furter searches etc. It really is not worth the trouble of getting caught lying.

I always fill mine in, they look at it, stamp it and then you go through, exaclty the same way as if you did not have anything so it does not add any time to clearing customs.

disneyholic family
11-12-2005, 11:20 PM
Whatever they are looking for it oniy takes a few mins to fill in the white cusoms forms. If they do catch you not having completed it you can be fined $1,000 for each item and may also be subject to furter searches etc. It really is not worth the trouble of getting caught lying.

I always fill mine in, they look at it, stamp it and then you go through, exaclty the same way as if you did not have anything so it does not add any time to clearing customs.

exactly.....

the following is a quote from the US Customs website regarding incoming travelers:

"Failure to declare all food products can result in civil penalties."

You really don't want to get on the bad side of a US customs officer......one of the ways of doing that is if they actually do search you and find that box of chocolates that you didn't declare and if you make the mistake of saying that it's permitted.....if that officer doesn't like Brits, he might well say to you, "I DETERMINE WHAT IS PERMITTED AND WHAT ISN"T PERMITTED"......
rest assured they can throw the book at you for something this trivial if they feel like it....and they just might....that badge they wear has power and they sometimes feel the need to compensate for small bodily parts......
I've entered the US literally hundreds, probably thousands of times and i've seen it happen more than once.....
it's best to just tick off that yes box and call it a day....