PDA

View Full Version : Jeff and Brian.....can we get a little cheat sheet

goofymom/pop
10-31-2005, 08:22 AM
Ok guys for all of us non professional photographers can we get a little list of terms, what they mean, which works best.....type of thing? This would be really helpful for us newbies.

For Example :I would love to know:

Shutter speeds, whats the abbreviation for it....which setting is faster/slower

Aperature....same things.....

Depth of Field...what exactly is it?

White Balance.....what do I set it too?

Some of the things above I know but I think it would be helpful for the board to have a little sticky with all the gory details that would apply to "most" cameras.

thanks
Cindy

Brisully
10-31-2005, 01:37 PM
Sure. Let me work on it and I will get something up soon.

Geoff_M
10-31-2005, 01:44 PM
I good primer for some of the things you seek can be found at http://www.luminous-landscape.com Look for the "Understanding Series".

Brisully
10-31-2005, 02:41 PM
That's a great site Geoff. Had not seen that one. Thanks.

AZ JazzyJ
10-31-2005, 02:45 PM
Um, yeah we might be better off having Brian take a crack at this. No good can come from me making up terms. Otherwise you are going to get stuff like:

Shutter Speed - The speed at which your hands begin to shake as you press down on the button to take a picture. Shutter speed increases in direct proportion to how important the picture is to you.

Depth of field - The exact length from top to bottom of the puddle you just dropped your $1500 camera equipment. Once the crying stops see shutter speed.

White Balance - Number of loaves of white bread you eat in proportion to the healthier whole wheat bread. Those on Atkins should realize this is a theoretical limit.

I've got more if you need them.

Jeff

SStJean
10-31-2005, 08:29 PM
I good primer for some of the things you seek can be found at http://www.luminous-landscape.com (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/) Look for the "Understanding Series".

Great set of articles. Thanks for posting.

bigmerle1966
10-31-2005, 09:11 PM
Um, yeah we might be better off having Brian take a crack at this. No good can come from me making up terms. Otherwise you are going to get stuff like:

Shutter Speed - The speed at which your hands begin to shake as you press down on the button to take a picture. Shutter speed increases in direct proportion to how important the picture is to you.

Depth of field - The exact length from top to bottom of the puddle you just dropped your $1500 camera equipment. Once the crying stops see shutter speed.

White Balance - Number of loaves of white bread you eat in proportion to the healthier whole wheat bread. Those on Atkins should realize this is a theoretical limit.

Jeff

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

goofymom/pop
11-01-2005, 02:42 AM
you always give me a great giggle....thanks

Brian, I will be looking forward to your version of these terms also....but good heavens can you possibly compete with Jeff.... :rotfl: :rotfl:

goofymom/pop
11-01-2005, 02:52 AM
great articles.....thanks for sharing them. I am going to bookmark them for future reference.

jenny2
11-01-2005, 08:34 AM

Jeff

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Soooo... I'm not the only one who's done the puddle thing? :rolleyes1

ducklite
11-01-2005, 09:58 AM
:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Soooo... I'm not the only one who's done the puddle thing? :rolleyes1

When I first bought my D70, I had a bunch of problems--all operator error of course. I called my mentor telling him "I messed up my camera" and without even thinking about it he says "You dropped it?"

Luckily that wan't the case, and he got me up and running during that ten minute phone call. I worked a show with him last weekend which is always fun, but it just depresses me that he is so much better than I'll ever be...

Anne

JudithM
11-02-2005, 05:41 AM

I've got more if you need them.Jeff

HELP!! Spare us, please!! Brian, HELP!

Horizons16
11-02-2005, 12:33 PM
Ok so after I take a picture of the castle.... I drop the camera, and eat bread. Got it!
:)