PDA

View Full Version : Wk of Oct 30--2006 Disney Half-Full Marathon Info/Training

chimera
10-30-2005, 07:36 PM
Hello everyone!

For those new to us, we're a group of people who are planning to participate in the 2006 and/or 2007 Disney Half or Full marathons. We range from non-running beginners to triathletes. Come join us!

Here's the Marathon FAQ, a great place to answer your marathon questions:
Disney Marathon FAQ (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=725285)
And some websites for further running/walking info:
http://www.runnersworld.com
http://www.coolrunning.com
http://www.halhigdon.com
http://www.running4women.com/
http://www.runnergirl.com/index.shtml
http://www.katherineswitzer.com/fitness.html
http://www.irongirl.com
http://www.marathonguide.com
The John Bingham site:
http://www.waddleon.com/
Jeff Galloway's site:
http://www.jeffgalloway.com/

Pacing Calculator (http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/Running%20University/Article%201/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm)

Just added a cool new website, http://www.marathonguide.com. They have a pace band calculator that allows you to create and print a pace band to wear on your wrist to make sure you're staying on your split times. It's only set up for a full, but I just doubled the finish time to 7 hrs to see where my splits need to be for the half. Very cool!

Lisa...thanks for the tip! If not for you, we still wouldn't be posted!

MelR...incredible photos!

Helen...some new entries for the dictionary? Loo roll? Boiled sweets? I think I do understand the term, boink ;)

Tiff...sorry bout the stonker, but congrats on the 6 miles! :banana: :banana: It does feel good to have that distance under your belt!

Took in a daytrip to MK today. DD12 got straight-As on her first quarter report card and the daytrip was her chosen reward. Perfect day for MK...weather was nice, crowds were light. Only bad part was having to leave as everyone was coming in wearing their costumes for MNSSHP tonight. :sad1:

TXBelle
10-30-2005, 08:59 PM
Okay, here is my commitment to train this week! Last week I used lots of excuses and did nothing in the way of exercise. I will be back on track this week. I bought new ASCICS GT-2100s today. They are purple & pink. Mel would love them! I am still trying to decide on my 1/2 marathon shoes. I like the cushy feeling of the ASICS. I will break them in this week and see how I like them for LRs.

Tiff-The woman in the egg costume beating you in the 5K made me :rotfl: I got beat by a 9 year old girl in my 5k in August.

MelR- Thanks for sharing the pictures. How do you keep from getting lost along the trail? Is the course well-marked? Just wondering.

Helen- Great job on the 1/2! Did you beat your arch nemesis (the woman from last year)?

Let's have a great week everyone! :flower:

MelRhoads
10-30-2005, 09:15 PM
Heather - the course is marked but the trails at this park are notorious for getting people lost. If you look at the pics, you can see blue blazes on the trees. This is how you follow the trail. There were tons of intersecting trails, so we did get a little confused a couple of times. The scariest thing was that we were just out in the middle of nowhere. My knee really hurt on the big downhills where the terrain was really uneven and I realized that I had to finish because there was no other way out! The only aid station was a bunch of water jugs sitting by the trail at about 11 1/2 miles!!! I had my garmin and it gave me a few weak signal moments, but you could use the map function to return to the start point. I also had a map, but the race director said not to use them because they were so bad that they were confusing. I think the best thing to have is a muddy buddy, which as you can see, I had and her husband was kind and energetic enough to run ahead and take our pics. He also carried our extra gear. What a guy

TiffJ - :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: OK.... I must have been skimming earlier, because I missed your GREAT race story!! That was so funny I had to read it to my husband! Did you get any pictures??? If so, please share them!!!!!!

gatorphipps
10-30-2005, 10:09 PM
Christa--what's up with your toe that you can run and not swim? I know I cannot swim for 3 weeks...do you have an open wound?

Lisa - I had an ingrown toenail removed on Wednesday. It is not bleeding or anything any more, but the Doctor said the pool germs could get it infected. Have to wait until I go back to see him on November 9th to get the OK to swim. Wah Wah Wah! :sad:
He is cool though. A runner who has done a marathon, so he "let" me start running Monday instead of waiting the full 2 weeks. I told him 2 weeks would not work for my training schedule. I guess he listened. :earboy2:

Christa

gatorphipps
10-30-2005, 10:11 PM
Melissa - Loved your pictures! YOU ARE DA WOMAN! :cool1:
Christa

perfectmatch300
10-30-2005, 10:32 PM
What can I say? You guys continue to inspire me!

MelR your race pics are amazing! What a beautiful race course, but for the life of me I can't imagine anyone actually running through those rocks unless they were being chased by something really, really scary! Of course, up to last year I couldn't imagine me wanting to do any kind of race on foot, much less a half marathon and now that's my long term goal! Who'd a thought? :confused3 Me, who was never a runner, even in my younger more fit days now really wants to do the half and be able to finish in front of the sweepers. That brings me back to your race, MelR - if you can do that then I can certainly get myself to the point where I can finish the half in 2007. Right now I just want to get down to a 16 min mile!

I tried step counting the other night. I found I was doing an average of 138 steps/min total with both feet, but I really do need to lengthen my stride because that still only gave me an 18 min mile. Unlike what I hear a lot of people doing, I really do take VERY short steps. What I did find, though, was that by keeping up that pace of steps/min by the last 1/2 mile of my wog, I actually found that I was jogging instead of walking without even thinking about it. It felt good, so I just continued to jog until I got home. I'm not actually sure when I started jogging - it just sort of happened, but I know I went at least 4/10 mile from the point I was aware I was jogging. That is probably the farthest I have jogged since I was in college, and that was a LONG time ago! :earseek: That was Friday. Yesterday I walked with DH and let him set the pace because he walks much faster than me. The only time I had to ask him to slow down was going uphill. That for me is really good! Then last night my legs told me that today needed to be a rest day regardless of any other ideas I might have for them! So today we rested. While overall I am still discouraged by the slow speed at which I am making progress, at least I do see that I am making progress. I do hope there will be a group here next year for the 2007 marathon because I'm going to be needing you to help me get there.

Chimera, here's a pic of the outside of the house. I'm waiting to get the boxes out of the dining room before I take any inside. DH wants those before we go back to CT next month so I should have some soon.

http://images.snapfish.com/3453959923232%7Ffp64%3Dot%3E2324%3D9%3A%3B%3D%3B68 %3D796464b28333323%3D3232%3C536%3A8426nu0mrj

TiffJ
10-31-2005, 07:49 AM
Nancy- I'll be there with you next year. I plan on making this an annual event (DH doesnt know that yet) You have plenty of time to get your pace down especially starting now. Love the house. I'm so jealous. I wish I lived closer to the mouse.

MelR-no pics. I need to get better about brining my camera places.

Today is my well earned rest day. Well rest from exercise-as far as regular mom duties, its going to be pretty busy!

TiffJ
10-31-2005, 07:55 AM
Oh- did I tell you guys what oldest DS decided to be for Halloween- a marathoner. He has a track suit, one of my race numbers for his shirt . a head band and carrying a bottle of gatorade. It is so cute. This is another great motivation for me to keep this up. He is loving it & wants to keep racing. He's so proud wearing his first ever earned race t-shirt to school today. :love:

plutosmyfav
10-31-2005, 07:55 AM
MelR-- great photos! That looks way too difficult. Last place is kinda cool-- a "PR" of sorts :p

Christa-- I'm not doing Goofy, but if my schedule doesn't allow any other time for a mid-length run then I do it the day before my LR. I found that Hal Higdon's Intermed. schedule and the Boston Marathon Rookie Schedule (http://www.bostonmarathon.org/BostonMarathon/MarathonTraining.asp?training=rookieprogram) both call for mid-length runs the day before LR so I figure it can't be bad. Yeah for the green light on running on your toe! :moped:

Nancy-- what a pretty house! Congrats :)

Yesteray was rest except for the 2 hours of yard work! Today is interval training. I think I'll do it outside since the weather is BEAUTIFUL :sunny:

Sunny

wtpclc
10-31-2005, 08:43 AM
Hi all! Way to go on your LRs! I'm taking myself off teh dl today and going 60 minutes. I'm a little scared, but I've felt OK since yesterday, so I hope to be on track again.

Have a rgeat week everyone!

TXBelle
10-31-2005, 09:40 AM
I did it! I started the day off with a 60 minute run/walk. I am back on track! Nothing like 4 miles to start the day off right. :)

plutosmyfav
10-31-2005, 09:41 AM
Good Luck, Carrie :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

I just stumbled upon a site with some good tips on carboloading and pre-race meals. I think it is especially helpful for those of us who suffer "tummy" troubles.

pre-race nutrition (http://worldofendurance.com/article.asp?a_id=20249)

It also mentions the importance of the pre-race meal when you are doing back-to-back events-- something you Goofies will need to think about :)

And speaking of nutrition, Helen-- what are boiled sweets? (I know what loo paper is :rotfl2: )

ETA: Actually, the whole site is pretty cool. I'm checking out mental training now.

www.theworldofendurance.com (http://worldofendurance.com/default.asp)

Sunny

MelRhoads
10-31-2005, 09:54 AM
Look-It's official

Chicks
1 Natalie McBee 32 2:49:30 58
2 Debbie Lashley 45 3:06 41.5
Shirley Hyman 37 3:06 41.5
4 Barb Bellows 51 3:07 30
5 Lindy Biglieni 3:19 24
6 Melinda George 42 3:42 18
7 Sarah Stalder 33 3:55 12
8 Melissa Rhodes 35 3:55.0 8

Hey - They spelled my name wrong!!!!!!! If I'm going to be last, I want proper credit!

gatorphipps
10-31-2005, 09:56 AM
Christa-- I'm not doing Goofy, but if my schedule doesn't allow any other time for a mid-length run then I do it the day before my LR. I found that Hal Higdon's Intermed. schedule and the Boston Marathon Rookie Schedule (http://www.bostonmarathon.org/BostonMarathon/MarathonTraining.asp?training=rookieprogram) both call for mid-length runs the day before LR so I figure it can't be bad. Yeah for the green light on running on your toe! :moped:

Well poo! I was hoping you were doing the Goofy we could run some together. After running a 1/2, I don't know if I could keep up with you during the full!! :smooth: I do back to back workouts too sometimes.

Nancy - Love the house! Congrats on your improvements. Don't give up. When I started 4 years ago (to lose baby fat from 3rd pregnancy) I could not even run a mile without wanting to die! :faint: Now my friends think I am a runner. (haha) :rotfl:

Well I did 4 miles today. Was going to do 5 but my toe was hurting. When I got home, it was bleeding and nasty. Pretty cool, huh? I must be sick in the head! I love the pain! :rolleyes: :confused3 :rolleyes: My pace average turned out to be 8.41 per mile. I started out @ a 9 min pace so I guess I speed up? Not bad I guess for having a bum toe.
I love all the pictures! Bree and I will have to post some of our route or maybe when we run the Charlotte marathon (December 3rd). Charlotte is a beautiful city and I have lost around 20lbs from the WDW pictures we showed you on the tricharlotte web site! :banana:

Later!
Christa

Lisa loves Pooh
10-31-2005, 10:00 AM
WTG Mel!!! Sorry about the misspelling of your name.

Christa--congrats on the run and the pace. Sorry about your toe. :(.

PT for me today at 1:15..hopefully, I'll get to get some cycling with that knee. The swelling...TO ME..looks like it is going down. Doesn't feel as fat as yesterday or even the day before.

keenercam
10-31-2005, 10:06 AM
Nancy -- Your house is beautiful! And yes, I'll be here next year, training for the Disneyland Inaugural Half and then for the 2007 WDW Half, as well (maybe even to jog that one!) Congrats on improving your pace. I think you will find that once you get very accustomed to taking that many steps in a minute, your pace will naturally lengthen a bit. I have been surprised to see that happen, even if it has happened very gradually.
Tiff -- Congrats on a great weekend!
Lisa -- You are one determined woman, aren't you? :worship:
Helen -- congratulations on your awesome finish!

Well, our weekend was a bit different than I anticipated. Howard and I got up at 6 on Saturday and went out and briskly walked 5.2 miles. I think our pace was right around 16, including lots of hills and going up and down curbs. UGH! His shins were bothering him so he was okay walking with me instead of running. We tried the Cliff shot blocks (?) and I like the consistency and the flavor (strawberry) so will try to use them again.

We were going to do a 5K yesterday a.m., but I'd been on my feet on concrete for 7.5 hours Saturday night (DD's home band competition) and Howard had been directing the field events. By the time we got to bed at about 1 a.m. we were wiped out. Yesterday dawned bright and sunny and warm, and we decided to drive DS12 to his cross-country championships and blow off the 5K. Instead we walked the most demanding varsity cross-country course at the state park (2.14 miles) up some incredible hills. Still felt like I got a workout instead of a rest day and I KNOW we did it below a 16 minute pace, because it took us around 30 minutes! BTW, DS had a personal best time with something around an 8:12 mile pace on that evil course. His team won the championships!

Will catch up with everyone else later! Getting DD's early decision college app ready for DH to hand-deliver to the University. Keep your fingers crossed!

plutosmyfav
10-31-2005, 10:10 AM
Hey MelR you placed in the top 10 :rotfl2: , too!!!!! :rotfl2:

Lisa loves Pooh
10-31-2005, 10:11 AM
Hey MelR you placed in the top 10 :rotfl2: , too!!!!! :rotfl2:

:cheer2: :cheer2:

:rotfl2:

Congrats, Mel!!!!

Calcio
10-31-2005, 10:25 AM
I'm questioning the sanity of the Goofy Challenge :worried: .

Yesterday I ran the first half of the Boston Marathon course, finishing in 2:07. The pace was just a little faster than my target, but it was a lovely and cool day, and that pace felt easy and slow for quite a long way.

I felt strong until 10 miles, and then quickly began to fall apart. First heavy legs and fatigue, and then complete rigor mortis in the quads at about 11.5 miles. There's nothing like looking at your watch every 30 seconds to see how much longer you'll be in pain. Overall it was a decent effort, but it would have been nice to go a bit slower and then hopefully feel a lot better in the last couple of miles.

My fear relates obviously to the full marathon on Sunday. Blowing your legs apart at 11 miles isn't fun, but it can be tolerated in a half marathon. If you are instead doing the full marathon you're looking at 15 miles of pain and mental torture. Scary.

Add to this fear the 24 hour turn around. In 10 minutes it will be precisely 24 hours since I started the half marathon yesterday. Sure, I feel good enough to sit on my fanny in my office, and I can walk around and get up and down stairs with no difficulty. The thought of stepping up to a starting line and doing twice as far as yesterday is insane.

With yesterday's effort I feel good about finishing the half in a time and a physical state that will satisfy me. In contrast, I look at the full marathon course and see myself in bad physical shape at mile marker #11, by the Country Bears in Frontierland. There sure is a lot of course left after that point.

I don't have an answer right now, just lots of questions. In the words of Peter Ustinov as Captain Blackbeard, "this job takes innards," and I'm not sure that I've got them. Can I be sufficiently ready, physically and mentally to get to both finish lines? I have no idea.

Keep up your good work everyone (particularly MelR with a top 10!), and don't let my self-reflective ramblings discourage you. I'm scared enough for everyone right now :scared1: .

Craig

MelRhoads
10-31-2005, 10:50 AM
Craig - I think it's time to share my underachiever's philosophy of finishing goofy!!!! Given my recent last place achievement, I think I'm qualified to share.

OK - here is my goofy plan.... I already know there is no way I could win/place/or show in either the 1/2 or the full even if I wasn't doing both. So, I must ask myself, what is the goal then? Well, honestly, mine is to finish (any finish would be a PR on something I've never done before). So basically, I want the medal!!! My plan therefore, is to run both races at or near my training pace. I will have practiced this and therefore, baring some unforseen circumstances, I will know I can do it. Sure, I'm not going to finish either with a great time, but it is my first ultra and hey, finishing is big deal!!!! In fact, I'm totally fine with finishing dead last if I just finish :goodvibes I'm just going for the medal!!! I will admit though that I don't want to be on the course all day long. I want to enjoy some time at the parks with Phil and the boy. He is totally impressed with chuckycheese, so I can't wait to see his face at disney!!!!!

Having said all this... I have not done any back to back long runs yet. This week I'm going to do speedwork tues, 8mi wed evening and 17 thurs morn. I'll let you know if I'm freaking out at that point!!! I should also add that I have stopped questioning my sanity long ago because the answer to the question is clear :scared1: :scared1: :scared1:

Hey MelR you placed in the top 10 , too!!!!!

Great observation!!!! That is what I can tell friends and relatives who ask me how I did!

Lisa loves Pooh
10-31-2005, 11:05 AM
As a victim of the mat---make sure you finish in regulation time, Mel. You can be deadlast in regulation...but once they turn off the mats, I'd hate to see for all heck to break loose. Shouldn't be a problem since they are using the silly arm bands....but, I was the victim of the mat...still got the one medal though!

msblrobs
10-31-2005, 11:26 AM
Craig: Hang in there, a lot can happen in 10 weeks. I'd be a liar if I said I wasn't REALLY nervous about it also :-)

Mel: WTG on the race :-)!! Thanks so much for the words of wisdom on the Goofy Challenge. I also plan on running both rate at my training pace. DH is worried about running the half since this will be his first race, so he is my 'out' as far as taking it as easy as possible the first day. For the full I just want to get through it...and get that medal!

12 mile LSD yesterday and a 3 mile recovery run this morning. I went to my first physical therapist appt. this morning for plantar faciitis on my left foot. It is resolving nicely and I am looking forward back-to-back long runs this weekend.

Nancy: Love house. It is so beautiful. I thought I could move to FL, but visiting Orlando in both May and October of this year put those dreams to bed...Being a Northeasterner leaves me defenseless in the heat and humidity.

goingthedistance
10-31-2005, 11:27 AM
My thoughts on completing the Goofy is the same as Melissa's. I am going to go out nice and slow (training pace) with multiple walk breaks to just cross the finish line before the time limit. I am not looking at any PR or maintaining 10:00 pace for the whole thing. I just want to have a good time, get lots of pictures taken, and finish with the ability to walk around the parks for a few days following the marathon.

It is all about the medals (3 from the Goofy and one more from the Disneyland half!)

Stay injury free everyone. I get to start training again this week. (took a week off after my marathon on the 23rd).

Paul

wtpclc
10-31-2005, 11:49 AM
Craig - I think I'd look very seriously at a w/r or r/w plan fo rthe full. As you've said the half is your race. Your goal for teh Goofy is just to finish. I know you have the innards to finish if you allow yourself to perform below your typicals standards.

MelRhoads
10-31-2005, 12:06 PM
Carrie - for Goofy, on the full, I am definitely walking the waterstops and I'm training by walking for 45seconds every mile and 1/2 on long runs. (Except when EC takes her huge dog, then we have to walk every 1/2 mile for about 15 secs. for him to pee and sniff and other doggie business :dog2:) He usually only does the first 1/2 of the LR and we drop him off at her house to refill h2o. :dog:

plutosmyfav
10-31-2005, 12:39 PM
Craig, I have learned something by doing my Wogs with DD after my LRs. A relaxed walk/jog is doable on tired legs. Of course our Wogs are only 4 to 4.5 miles so far, but I do them sometimes within an hour of finishing my LR. What I find is the first steps into a jog are so painful I want to scream. But amazingly, the legs loosen up and it becomes doable. Since DD is still much behind me in training, she tires long before I start to need a break and I'm force to walk. It never ceases to amaze me how easy it is. I feel like I could do miles and miles like that. My rambling is aimed as saying if don't push too hard for the half and then take the full at a seriously slow walk/run schedule you will be able to finish, I'm sure of it. DDs wogs end up being an average pace of ~12:10. Maybe you should aim at something like that for the full. But it might also mean rethinking your goal for the half. I know you've been planning on having a good pace for the half and then just finishing the full. Maybe the half might need to be a bit slower to save your legs for the full. I dunno, but it worries me to hear you so scared. I know you can do it. :grouphug: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

For today: I just did my interval training. Outdoors because it is GORGEOUS out today :sunny: However, outdoor running near work means hills, so I got a double treat :rolleyes: (I hate speed work and I hate hill work) I can't figure out how to get my splits out of my Garmin without uploading to my pc (at home) so I don't know all the stats yet. But it said my overall pace was 9:02 (6.5 miles) with my best pace being 7:14 :cool1: (I made each 1/2 mile interval a lap). I can't wait to see them. What I'm finding these days is I am running faster but my runs are harder. But I can't seem to force myself to run slower and more comfortable.

DD isnt' going to do the 5K. She didn't run this weekend or last weekend (which means no runnign for 2 weeks for her). So I will do it alone, which means I will push. I'm planning on taking some vaca on Friday for my LR so I can have Sat as a rest day before race day. I think I will shoot for a PR.

Sunny

aladdinsgirl
10-31-2005, 12:43 PM
Wow! I just spent the last 3 hours reading last weeks and this weeks training thread. You guys have been busy!! :banana: Stephen and I are back home :guilty:, but leaving this time wasn't so bad because we'll be back in 67 days!! Which means the half marathon is in 68 days and the full is in 69 days!!!!! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: We had an awesome vacation and it was great being able to run in Walt Disney World. It was great for Stephen to be running around the Epcot resort area loop, since that will be the last mile of the full--I think that will be a huge advantage to him mentally during the marathon--to know that he already ran that route and to visualize that the end is near. :smooth: We drove the half course (as much as we could), so I could see the cloverleaf entrance and exit ramps and the hill at the Contemporary. We "practiced" running out of Cinderella Castle, I'll have to post our pictures tonight.

It was really hard getting into a groove while in Disney, I'm not sure if it was just running in a new place, heavy stomachs from so much food (boy did we eat!! :mickeybar :cake: ), or the hard running surfaces (Stephen and I discovered that WDW is mostly concrete--our shins really took a beating), but my runs weren't that great. I ended up skipping 2 short runs, one because I just couldn't get out of bed, and the second was because Stephen got sick on Thursday and couldn't run on Friday--I was just giving him moral support. :rolleyes: I did my lr (5 miles) yesterday morning at Fort Wilderness (Stephen attempted to run 13 miles, but he was still sick and his body wouldn't let him finish), my Garmin was a mess, at one point it said I was running at a 42:00 minute mile pace and 30 seconds later it said I was running at a 7:00. Okay, whatever. :rolleyes: I finished 5 miles in 1 hour and 3 minutes, so even if the run wasn't that wonderful, I was pleased with my time. Being in Disney really made the marathon seem real, as we were leaving the Magic Kingdom Saturday night, I told Stephen the next time I see the Cinderella Castle, I'll be running through it!!!! :cheer2: :banana: :cheer2: :banana: :cheer2: :banana:

I have so much to say to everyone, but I've spent A LOT of time on the boards already today. I hope everyone is recovering from their injuries and surgeries and hopefully getting over the running blahs! In 68 or 69 days it'll all be over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Krista princess:

Oh, yeah, Happy Halloween!! :maleficen

aladdinsgirl
10-31-2005, 12:51 PM
OH MY GOSH--I forgot to tell you guys: I DID MY FIRST NEGATIVE SPLITS!!!!!! :dancer: :dancer: I was so excited!! It was on my 4 mile lr last Sunday (before the hurricane hit and it was NASTY outside and my times were a little slow), I forget my exact times now, but I think it went 12:50, 12:24, 12:23, 11:24!!!!!!!!!! I was ecstatic!!!

Krista princess:

gatorphipps
10-31-2005, 03:57 PM
Craig - YOU CAN DO IT! :cheer2: I agree with Sunny, Melissa, and who ever else said the goal is to finish both races. I will also be taking it slower on the 1/2 and then just doing my best on the full. I would LOVE to PR but have to remind myself this is an animal and I have never done an Ultra b/4. Bree, DH, and I do r9/w1. Bree has a little beeping watch to tell us when to stop walk and run (got it @ Wal-Mart). Also, try to eat/drink a little on both races like a GU or banana or something. This will help you not to bonk. You are more than welcome to join Bree, DH, Ron and me running. Ron is great @ pacing and I think you 2 would get along great. :teeth:

Krista - Great Job! :banana:
Christa

littlegreydonkey
10-31-2005, 06:18 PM
Hi guys. not much for me to report today, walked my four miles last night as it seemed a bit soon after the race to run (I've got to do 8 miles tomorrow night and 16 on the weekend so figured I'd practise my walking breaks!!)

Mel: Helen's English Dictionary entry 4(?): Loo roll - umm, I spose the US equivalent would be toilet tissue, basically paper stuff you normally have in bathrooms but seems to be eaten by tissue consuming monsters in portaloos on race days.

Entry 5: Boiled sweets - am stuck for US equivalent here, think Jolly Ranchers (I think). Ie nasty, sugary candy that you suck for hours until they shrink!!! But v good way to get sugar burst while running.

Heather: nemesis left in the dust - beaten by 11 whole minutes. I know it's bad to gloat, but just let me do it once!!!

Melissa: Many brave points to you for rock climbing during you race, and hey you weren't just in the top ten, you came eighth. My running buddy here placed first in a 50km race recently, despite coming in an hour after the last other competitor as she was the only woman daft enough to do it - she got a her name on a cup and everything!!!!

Craig: Chill - take a dose of the Helen philosophy to the race. I started out planning on finishing at 4.30 and running the whole thing, then it slipped to 5 hours with breaks for photos, now it's 'ah blow it, I'm running to 30km then I'll see how I feel so long as I get in by 6.30 I'm sorted!!' Have decided I want to finish smiling and with legs bendy enough to get on test track before it closes for rehab - it's my first marathon so whatever I do will be a PB! You can do this as long as your inner greyhound stays firmly muzzled during the half - after all, this time you're not really trying to PB a half, you're trying to PB an ultra distance event so why risk that goal for a measly half (sorry everyone else, I know a half isn't measly really, but this is Goofy pep talk time!!!)

Anyway, that's my lot, its lunchtime for me and a bag of doritos is calling my name. Helen

Lisa loves Pooh
10-31-2005, 06:24 PM
Entry 5: Boiled sweets - am stuck for US equivalent here, think Jolly Ranchers (I think). Ie nasty, sugary candy that you suck for hours until they shrink!!! But v good way to get sugar burst while running.

I think Boiled sweets = hard candies. Hard candies here come in many varieties of tastes and shapes. :)

NYcpa
10-31-2005, 08:09 PM
Completed week 4 of MFM walk half. Saturdays LW ended up at 5.5 mi including warn up and cool down. I completed the distance in 88 min and a average pace of 16.11. The time included waiting to cross the road 4 times. Will try to get a little faster.

xterratri
10-31-2005, 08:36 PM
I agree with Krista, you go away for a couple of days and the thread(s) just fly.

Did my 60 minutes tonight and it was pretty slow. However, it wasn't the stonker it may have been. I've had a grand total of 15 hours of sleep for the last 4 nights and I didn't get to head out on the run until 5:30. It's definitely different doing the full run after dark as I changed my gait somewhat to the stability gait I use running in the snow. I couldn't see what the road surface was like and I knew that there were cracks, potholes, etc. So the slower pace was probably a combination of being a little tired and the running in the dark thing.

Saturday's 6 miles(or so since the Garmin chose to misbehave that day so I didn't run with it) was ran at the Mall. I did carry a camera and got what I think are good pictures of the Capitol Building, the Washington Monument, the Reflecting Pool by the Lincoln Memorial, and some pictures of the WW II Memorial. The last time I was in DC was a month before the WW II memorial opened and less than 2 months after my grandfather, an army air corps WW II veteran, had died so I really wanted to see that.

The conference was great. I need to sort through some of the information presented and summarize it and then I will post it here. Topics covered included hyponatremia, dehydration, heat acclimation, blisters, and many more. Working the race itself was awesome. I was psyched for running Disney anyways but more so now after watching/working the race this weekend. We were at Aid Station 6, shortly after mile 16 so far enough in for people to have problems. I got to watch the faster runners going by as we stood cheering them, handing out some vasoline, and tylenol. The last Clif Pace group I recall seeing go by was the 4 hr one and then we stayed busy for a couple of hours. The docs at the station let the student docs(there were 3 of us) do most of the assessing, diagnosing, and treating under their supervision so I got a lot of hands on practical experience. It was mostly cramping, dehydration, blisters, musculoskeletal soreness, so not exactly rocket science to treat but still nice to be allowed to do so.

So the best story of the weekend is how my classmate and I got back to the airport on Sunday. We took the blue line from Pentagon City to Rosslyn and switched to the orange line. We were headed to West Falls Church to catch the Washington Flyer bus back to Dulles. While trying to figure out which station was Dulles, a guy overhead us and said if we went one more stop he would drive us to the airport as it was one his way home basically anyways. So we took him up on his offer. Now the parents here are probably screaming in horror- "you took a ride from someone you met on the subway???" Yes, yes we did. See I kind of figured that someone with a MCM finishers medal around his neck that will be running his 7th WDW marathon in January was probably not a serial killer. He's not going Goofy this year as he's doing the 5 K with his 14 yo son but wants to for 2007.

My dilemma of the week: do the Osprey 10 K in Freeport this Saturday and then do a separate run of 8 miles later that day OR just do the 14 mile run and not do the 10 K.

MelR- congrats on your 8th place in the overall women's field. The pics are neat. You would appreciate the run portion of the Xterra East course in Richmond. You had asked a while back if I mtn bike- yes, I do. I've joked more than once that it's not a good ride if I don't return dirty, bruised, and bleeding. Seriously though, if you keep trying to ride more challenging stuff to get better, you're going to dump the bike on occasion. It's just the way mtn biking works and even the best riders crash. The single track here in coastal ME is incredibly rocky and there aren't many places to ride close by. I miss the amount of time I spent on mtn bike in upstate NY. I did have a great expereince at Pedro's Mtn Bike Fest in the Berkshires(MA) in August though. It was definitely on the list with some of the best riding I've done anywhere. In spite of the fact that I do race mtn bikes, it's more of a Zen sport for me. I love a ride in the woods on nice flowing single track that occasionally breaks out in a scenic vista. I even actually like climbing.

PD for the healing injuries :wizard: Keep up the work everyone

plutosmyfav
10-31-2005, 08:42 PM
Endurance Mom goes trick-or-treating

"Mommy,I'm tired, can we go home now?"

"What?!?!?! We've only been out for 52 minutes and 33 seconds. We could take on a whole nother neighborhood if we hurry"

"but I'm tired and I have enough candy".

"But I want to PR this halloween"

"Oh, alright, I'll give you a piggy back the rest of the way..."

I forgot I'm an endurance athlete now :rolleyes1

Lisa loves Pooh
10-31-2005, 09:00 PM
UNBELIEVABLE.

Here I thought my dad was aloof--maybe a tad insensitve as I had IM'd him and e-mailed him about my surgery. He said nothing after the fact--even decided to post how his milage was going--but not a hey--how's it going.

So I'm IM'ing him tonight. No mention of it--so I toss out that I'll be running again in 6 weeks (exclusively)--he says it won't take that long (glad he checked how I was doing the past 5 days to know that for sure)....and then says if it does, then I'll be doing the half.

WTH--OMG...I am so fuming right now! His self-centeredness was beaming before when he decided to do this event WITH me at a pace that I cannot even begin to try to do (oh--well he had plans to do it in 4:30--gee, thanks for doing it "WITH" me then)....and he has the audacity to not inquire of how I am doing and then become coach-doctor-physical therapist and tell me that the best I can hope for is the half!

What thoughts are in my head---just not DIS appropriate...but OMG--what a pompous arrogant......dork!

Calcio
10-31-2005, 09:04 PM
Sara, Christa, Helen, Mel and Everyone Else

Your advice is sound and I appreciate you sharing positive waves. My first thought on hearing of the Goofy challenge was, "you are kidding." That quickly changed to "maybe," and then "okay, I'll register for the full, but only as an option; if I feel horrible Sunday at 4:30 a.m. I'll just stay in bed." This changed to "I'll run the half hard and treat the full as an afterthought," but now after training and building most of the year I'm taking the full very seriously, perhaps - no certainly too seriously. My fear is flaming out all over the course on Sunday and putting a cloud over our much looked forward to week in January in warm Orlando.

After running 13.1 miles point to point yesterday it became clear to me that a half marathon is a long, long way, and a full marathon is ridiculous. I've always admired anyone who did a full, and yesterday that feeling was reinforced. Geez I barely made it to the half marathon point (Martha standing right at the 13.1 mark on the course with her arm out, I saw her about 100 yards away, I'm not sure when I've been happier to see her :goodvibes ), how on earth am I ever going to double that distance with legs fatigued from the previous day?

Yes, I need to ease off on Saturday and save for Sunday. Sadly I seem to be unable to control myself in training runs, and in a race once the gun goes off and I'm trampling down the road with thousands of my closest friends, I'm even worse. Every disaster or disappointment I've had in a training session or race can be blamed on starting too quickly :moped: . I know this, I worry about it, I vow to overcome it, yet I keep doing it.

What I need is someone running next to me the entire time with a watch and a hammer. The watch for a sustainable pace, and the hammer to hit me when I get carried away. Thanks Christa for offering pacing help. If you'd like to carry that hammer, I'd really appreciate it :teeth: . What times are you guys thinking of shooting for on Saturday and Sunday? I do think being with others would help me achieve this frightening goal, and if my likely pace fits with your group it would be nice to be among new friends for the distance.

Please feel free to send me an e-mail at stephenson@babson.edu. That goes for any of the fine folks on these WDW marathon support boards. I've had the good experience of running in others in long races, and they always said having someone with them was wonderful. If we could work this out for January 7 and 8 it would be lovely.

Thanks

Craig

Tiger Lily 03
10-31-2005, 10:21 PM
Craig, I know how you feel in my own way. I went through 10 miles Sunday after 6 on Saturday. I figure for me that the chances are slim to none of doubling and then some for a full. Keep in mind here that I am a much slower pace than all of you big dogs. :dog2: :pug: :dog: I can't go any slower or I will be swept! So, you can always look for me at the end. (Well, maybe not the real end b/c that pace of mine may get in my way.) But for a while I can put a little leash on your wrist like the moms/dads do to their young'uns in the parks and that will slow ya down...guaranteed! :teeth: Really, you can do this. (I may not be able to, but YOU CAN!) Walk, you will walk faster than I wog.

Nancy, glad to see the pic of your house. Looking forward to more.

Lynne it seems that you had a great experience. I got a little nervous about those needing attention as the back of the pack started showing up your way though. :paw:

"But I want to PR this halloween"Bwahhh hahaha! :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: lymi! The best part, I can really get it!

Lisa, you get him! Grrrr. Hope you are managing everything ok. Been thinking of you.

Kathy, great to hear that you are at this pace already. Your road back is coming along nicely.

Minnie, thinking of you. :hug:

Sorry to all, I've read this week's stuff. Must get back to all things missed last week.

MelRhoads
10-31-2005, 10:32 PM
Craig - I'm thinking a comfortable pace for the 1/2 will be around 10:30/mile and the full around 11:00. I am going to walk the water stops on the full for sure. If I do those paces, I'd be quite thrilled!! Those would be well within my training paces (I think) I'm going to try a back to back this week and see how it goes. So far my LR's are up to 15 (last week, but I counted the trail run/race - which clearly was a much slower pace) This week is 17 and I'm going to do 8 the day before. I have to update you if my projected pace changes significantly. I am not usually sore after a LR, but I am sore from the trail run, so I'm going into this week at a disadvantage. Hey, what better way to train for goofy?

I would love to run/walk with any of my WISH friends for any of the races!!!!

Lisa loves Pooh
10-31-2005, 10:46 PM
Just sent the dad this e-mail...now lets hope the therapist green lights me....I hear crow doesn't taste good. ;) Now please keep in mind my dad is the type that doesn't take "hints" and as my mother says--one must be very direct...or it kind of goes out in left field somewhere and just sits there (like the e-mail I sent that I was having knee surgery apparantely!)

I thought you missed where I told you I had knee surgery. And today proves—yet again, how you digested information and ignored it for 5 days.

I am beside myself in anger. You didn’t even ask how I was doing, inquire about a prognosis or heck—even wish me well or anything. And now, all I can do is the half. I am so glad the coaches, doctor, and therapists have a little more faith and a much better prognosis. You had me doing the half with no clue of how my recovery is going.

Very hurtful thing for you to say as you don’t know how important it is to me to complete the marathon. The surgery was undertaken with the strong likelihood of being able to do the marathon. And the marathon is what I will be doing

perfectmatch300
11-01-2005, 12:55 AM
First of all. PD to you Lisa :wizard: to help you deal with your Dad. I know how painful that can be. But please don't push yourself to do the full just to show him if your DR's say to only do the half. I know how much you really want to do the full, but maybe, and I do say just maybe, the half might be the best race for you this time around. And I do know you want to be able to keep on running after the Marathon weekend in Jan. There's a lot more exciting events coming up for you to do, and there's always 2007 as long as your knee is sound.

MelR, I once won a bowling tournament because I was the only woman entered! :teeth: That means I finished first - and last! Didn't even bowl very well that day, but hey, they still gave me the prize anyway. Got DH (who is the skill bowler in our family) a new top of the line ball that he still uses. :teeth:

Craig, looks like you have a decision to make. Do you really want to go for a PR in the half? Or do you want those extra medals and the personal satisfaction you will get if you go Goofy? I mean how great would that be?!!!!! Whatever you decide, you know we are all there with you. I'd offer to hold you back in the half, but if I did you'd get swept and besides I'm not going to do it until next year when hopefully I will be able to make pace.

Thanks, everyone, for the complements on the house. I keep pinching myself because I still can't believe we really live here. Now if I could get the rest of the endless boxes that packrats DH have hauled down here unpacked I'd really be living the dream. The only good news about the boxes is that they do seem to be good cross training. I'm finally seeing some better times on my walks. Still not good enough to beat the sweeper, but I'm getting closer.

Lisa loves Pooh
11-01-2005, 07:38 AM
NO worries Nancy--I had omitted the part where he suddenly became coach-therapist-doctor and basically was contrary to anything he said. We don't have the best of relationships--so there are some war wounds in there. He sent an apology. But man, I am still angered.

In my surgery--they didn't repair anything...so there is nothing to heal from except the actual surgery itself. We got full rotation in the leg on the bike yesterday at PT as well as lifting 25 pounds..and doing the leg press which uses tension rods for resistance and I could do that. The surgery was done b/c the orthapedist was confident that long term (aka--2 months from now)--it wouldn't have any impact negatively on the marathon--I might be a bit slower, but I could still finish "pain free" from the problem I had.

I'm not doing the marathon b/c of him--I'm doing the marathon b/c as long as I monitor my knee and it allow it to heal...I will be able to do the marathon. Had this been a ligament tear or something worse---then the marathon would have been medically impossible.

My stuff for today:

3 sets 15 reps of PT exercises (did you know that 2 days of immobility and 2 days of limited mobility--kills your quad?....that sucker disappeared!!!!)

15 minutes exercise bike for range of motion--hey the bad leg can do a circle now--a slow one...but it is progress!

40 mintues cardio while icing bad knee (on chair)--one legged bike pedaling--12 miles.

:)

Good news is--I can just about see my knee cap without probing for it :) And it is getting less and less stiff (from fluid) when I bend it 90 degrees.

I am on PT orders to stop walking with a gimp (so no limping!!!).

gatorphipps
11-01-2005, 07:56 AM
What I need is someone running next to me the entire time with a watch and a hammer. The watch for a sustainable pace, and the hammer to hit me when I get carried away. Thanks Christa for offering pacing help. If you'd like to carry that hammer, I'd really appreciate it :teeth: . What times are you guys thinking of shooting for on Saturday and Sunday? I do think being with others would help me achieve this frightening goal, and if my likely pace fits with your group it would be nice to be among new friends for the distance.

I have not gotten in touch with Ron yet, (He ran Marine Corp this weekend)but he paces us a little slower than what I normally run. This is great for a Goofy!
I'm thinking a comfortable pace for the 1/2 will be around 10:30/mile and the full around 11:00. I am going to walk the water stops on the full for sure. If I do those paces, I'd be quite thrilled!! Those would be well within my training paces (I think) I'm going to try a back to back this week and see how it goes. So far my LR's are up to 15 (last week, but I counted the trail run/race - which clearly was a much slower pace) This week is 17 and I'm going to do 8 the day before. I have to update you if my projected pace changes significantly. I am not usually sore after a LR, but I am sore from the trail run, so I'm going into this week at a disadvantage. Hey, what better way to train for goofy?
I would love to run/walk with any of my WISH friends for any of the races!!!!
I am with Melissa on this one! 10:30 or so for the 1/2 and 11:00 for the full sounds so good! Ron may pace a little slower than this, not sure! We always have a BLAST with him though. Taking pictures, talking to people, and, oh yeah, running. :rotfl:
Anyone is more than welcome to join our little ship of fools though. I would love to run with you guys at least parts of the race.We all need to find out what corral we are in or meet somewhere the mornings of the race. :wave:
Christa

gatorphipps
11-01-2005, 07:58 AM
Oh...One more thing.....
Lisa - good luck with the dad issues! Sounds like you are able to tell him your feelings. That is good...even if he does not get it. Good luck with the training! YOU CAN DO IT!
:banana: :cheer2: :banana: :cheer2: :banana:
Christa

wtpclc
11-01-2005, 08:18 AM
Sunny - :rotfl2:
Lisa - :grouphug:
Craig - Doing 10:30s ans 11's right now, signed on for 12:30's. SHould be somewhere in between. I'll carry the hammer if this pace suits for the full, but I think you should add some walk and be slower.
Helen - WTG on beating her! Gloat away!!!!
MelR - Those rocks were amazing! Wow!

Update on me: Ran a half mile and hip hurt. I hobble so badly that I'm afraid I'll hurt something else if I keep it up. I think I ran just under a mile total It's getting better, though, because I can walk fine today. Doing a hot patch and iced last nicght. Will do a careful Curves wo tonight and ice and hope things are better Wednesday. I'm so afraid of not being able to do my 14 and never catching up though. This stinks. :wizard: to everyone else who's injured. I know it could be worse, but even this is killing me.

So, I'm thinking it's a pulled muscle and staying away from running seems to have helped a lot. Is it worth going to a Dr. or chiroprator? Is there andything else they can do for a pulled muscle? There's a local chiropractor who is a runner and has worked with olympic runners. I'm tempted to see him, but do you think it will accomplish anything?

Lisa loves Pooh
11-01-2005, 08:49 AM
Hey Carrie--after my sacral issues last December on my 20 mile run...I didn't do a real run for practically 2 weeks. Missing 1 long run won't kill you :) It may even make you stronger ;).

Be well and good luck!

MTM says take 3 days off for an ailment--try again--if the problem persists take another 3 days off..if it still persists--see a doctor :). That's the only info I have for you.

A massage therapist may be able to help get surrounding muscles to relax and a doctor may be able to prescribe a muscle relaxer if the muscle just isn't giving in. (As a temporary measure to help expedite healing).

wtpclc
11-01-2005, 08:57 AM
Thanks Lisa! Looks liek I need to read MfM a few more times.

msblrobs
11-01-2005, 08:58 AM
Lisa:Sorry your dad is being such a butt-head. Don't let it get you down; just use it to fuel your determination:-)

Craig: I plan on runing/walking the 1/2 with dh, his first race, and saving myself to run about a 10:30-11:00min/mile for the marathon. I ran it last year in a very comfortable 11:14 pace. I if you would like help with your pacing, I'd be more than happy to assist if our paces are comparable.

Christa/Mel: Would really appreciate a friendly face to run the full with if we're still basically running the same pace as the race approaches.

As far as training for the Goofy, I'm putting the plantar faciitis behind me and it's full-steam ahead. I'll be doing 8 miles on Saturday and 14 on Sunday. Next week will be my first 20 mile run on Sunday. At this point in time, I am actually looking forward to it :-)

plutosmyfav
11-01-2005, 09:07 AM
OK its confession time.

I have been holding a secret mostly because I'm almost superstitious when it comes to my knee. My confession is: I have knee trouble :sad1: I don't talk about it because I don't want to speak something into existence that might nto really be there... But its there and its getting worse. So what do I do? I am so clueless. I've never been to a dr for an injury. Do I see an ortho? I actually had my annual physical last week and mentioned it to my pc. She said "oh just rest it and cross train". She didn't actually look at it. I think it might be fluid under the knee cap. I don't want to wait until December to find out its gotten too bad.

I'm very bummed. I've actually started and deleted this post several times. I don't want to admit this.

Lisa-- I'm amazed at what a quick turn around you had in getting an initial apt., getting a diagnosis and then having the surgery. The way my health care system works I'll be lucky if I get an intial apt in the next two months. :(

Tiger Lily 03
11-01-2005, 09:25 AM
Sunny, Ortho...before it gets worse.

I'd also suggest ortho/therapist script for the muscle injuries.

But, that's b/c I love our ortho dude so much. He has done woders for my DH.

Nancy, you are a great cheerleader! Thank you for being here. Hope your continue to train and get that pace up a bit for the next race.

Minnie
11-01-2005, 09:42 AM
Hi everyone,

I am now home from sunny warm Texas to the freezing temps of the north. Though temps are supposed to be gorgeous this weekend.

Thanks for all the :hug: and :wizard: everyone!

PT Info – Okay I was worked on twice while in Texas and was told that I basically have a muscle knot on the sciatic nerve which is causing it to be pinched. The knot will not release at this point because it is too inflamed. The plan is to ice the area while doing PT exercises and to take muscle relaxers at night. I was told absolutely training until I go a week pain free because it will only make it worse. I can use a bike or elliptical though to keep up the cardio. Once the muscle releases I can do walking but no running until at least after Thanksgiving.

Based on the above is 2006 out of the question?

Minnie

Calcio
11-01-2005, 09:56 AM
Melissa, Christa, Sara, and Interested Others

I'm up for a discussion about running as a gang (could we all get jackets and a secret handshake :teeth: ). It looks like our paces for the races are all pretty similar, so we may be able to make this work.

From reading your posts I think you guys are being much more realistic and consistent than I am. You all are talking around 10:30 for the half, and a bit above 11 for the full. I was thinking about 9:30 for the half and 12 for the full which is probably too big a difference.

Again, please fell free to send me a private message, or just avoid the middleman and contact me through my e-mail account. If we think it will work we'll need to coordinate the mornings and corrals. Since the start involves a cast of thousands, if we're not coordinated we'll never find each other.

Thanks

Craig

wtpclc
11-01-2005, 10:08 AM
Wow! We have a celebrity on board! Congratrs Lily to being a new mod! :cheer2:

Tiger Lily 03
11-01-2005, 10:15 AM
Melissa, Christa, Sara, and Interested Others

I'm up for a discussion about running as a gang (could we all get jackets and a secret handshake :teeth: ). It looks like our paces for the races are all pretty similar, so we may be able to make this work.

From reading your posts I think you guys are being much more realistic and consistent than I am. You all are talking around 10:30 for the half, and a bit above 11 for the full. I was thinking about 9:30 for the half and 12 for the full which is probably too big a difference.

Again, please fell free to send me a private message, or just avoid the middleman and contact me through my e-mail account. If we think it will work we'll need to coordinate the mornings and corrals. Since the start involves a cast of thousands, if we're not coordinated we'll never find each other.
CraigHey, aren't ya wearing our Team shirts? :earseek:
And, when we are done with the race please look for each other at the "W" sign. They have signs posted so members may find you and most go by last name. OUR last name is "WISH"...please wait for me there. :pug:

sara
11-01-2005, 10:34 AM
:wave:

To all those injured/hurting... :grouphug:

Lisa, sorry about your dad. How frustrating. You seem like a VERY positive person, don't let him bring you down. My dad and step mom don't even acknowledge my running, so I've learned to not discuss it with them. Very sad. :guilty:

Sunny, I have to agree with Lily, Orthopaedist today! ;) At least call. Maybe just a little PT will do the trick. Rest and cross-train...ugh! I don't like hearing that either. :rotfl:

As for me...sniff, sniff...I'm not going Goofy...(that was hard to write :rotfl2: ). I too, injured my knee (IT band) three weeks before Chicago marathon. Two different Ortho's told me to go ahead and run Chi, but rest after. Well, I've rested and it's a little better, but I'm not ready to jump into training for a full/both. I will race (hopefully) the half and save my knee for the big spring race. I'm just sad. Goofy sounded so fun! And, all you energetic folks are going to have such a good time. :banana: :banana: :banana:

Happy training!

Sara

plutosmyfav
11-01-2005, 11:30 AM
Thanks Lily and Sara

I called and have an apt for Nov 16th. I've done some internet research and I'm pretty sure its runner's knee. I probably need to have my gait evaluated and (gasp) possibly change shoes.

Sunny

Lisa loves Pooh
11-01-2005, 01:15 PM
Sunny--any problems that I'd like my insurance to pay for..I have to first go to my Primary Care Provider. It was one week to get my appointment..I have an HMO--but b/c of the company hubby works for (a big one)--the ortho said it functioned more like a PPO and he didn't have to get all the approvals beforehand.

For runners knee--you might be given a strap that you where below the knee--some use the Cho-Pat a double strap for above and below the knee...it helps prevent the grinding that is runner's knee. If it is true runner's knee it isn't a big deal--the running creates the sensation and the strap prevents stuff from rubbing so the sensation doesn't get created :).

Sara--a PT might help you with that IT band. I learned to use an exercise ball to massage mine out--painful for the first few times you try it--but it gets better and works so well!

sara
11-01-2005, 02:02 PM
Lisa, exercise ball? Like the one you sit on and do sit ups or something smaller? Thanks for the advice. I do have an occasional PT visit. Mostly exercises to strengthen the knee/hip.

Good luck Sunny! I hope you figure out the problem...soon! :goodvibes

Sara

Lisa loves Pooh
11-01-2005, 02:12 PM
Lisa, exercise ball? Like the one you sit on and do sit ups or something smaller? Thanks for the advice. I do have an occasional PT visit. Mostly exercises to strengthen the knee/hip.

Good luck Sunny! I hope you figure out the problem...soon! :goodvibes

Sara

LIke one you use for weights....very complicated explaining--I explained it once and everone said it was too hard...but it is very easy.

You do a side plank (imagine...one hand on floor --you position yourself on the ball and your feet on the floor). The ball starts at the top of the IT band (near the top of your thigh) and you move your body to get the ball to roll down the IT band and along your thigh. When you get to a tender spot--you stop...maybe teeter back and forth over it--when you get a good release..continue on down the leg.

Warning--this can be very very painful at first, so you will want to take a gentle approach. It will help loosen up the IT band.

princessmomma
11-01-2005, 02:15 PM
Anyone is more than welcome to join our little ship of fools though. I would love to run with you guys at least parts of the race.We all need to find out what corral we are in or meet somewhere the mornings of the race. :wave:
Christa

Christa, I would like to join the ship of fools too! I am just doing the marathon, this being my first, I would like to start with a 10:30 - 11:00 pace as well.

What happens if we are in different corrals?

Sunny, since it is time for confession time, I might as well join in too. :wave2: My butt/IT band/hip flexor/knee (yes pretty much my entire right leg has been giving me trouble. Do I need custom insoles?? Piriformus, sciatica problems, tight quad/hip flexor problems, well I am tired of guessing so I am off to see my PCP in a few hours. I am icing, IBFing, stretching, etc. etc. way too much, there has to be something else I can do.

I saw a massage therapist yesterday, she said there was a muscle beside my IT band that was a tight as a drum??? When she worked it I could feel it from my hipflexor to my knee. We will see what the Dr. says today.

Congrats Lily on your new title.

Lisa thanks for this advice.....MTM says take 3 days off for an ailment--try again--if the problem persists take another 3 days off..if it still persists--see a doctor .

Minnie, I really have no advice, except to just listen to your body, you are the best judge of what your body can do. Good luck.:wizard:

Colleen

MelRhoads
11-01-2005, 03:00 PM
Christa, Colleen, Sara, Craig and Lisa - uhhhhhh - how do we actually find out what corral we are in and how do we ensure we are in the same one. I put my best 1/2 time down i think it was 2:09 (can't remember the time, but the pace was 9:59) and I think I put projected finish at 5:15 for full. Is that 2 different corrals and how do they/i choose? I'll change it so we can all get together if someone can tell me how.

MelRhoads
11-01-2005, 03:03 PM
oops - i stink with numbers my qualifying time was 2:10 from a 1/2 and projected finish was 5:10. I just pulled the 5:10 out of the air!!!! Do I need to change corrals?

Lisa loves Pooh
11-01-2005, 03:04 PM
Melissa--it will come with your packet and everyone can compare. :)

wtpclc
11-01-2005, 03:13 PM
Insert whine here "Are the packets EVER gonna' come!?" Yes, I know I said just last week that they will mail them end of the month, but I'm starting to get anxious now! ;)

sara
11-01-2005, 03:27 PM
Gosh, I haven't posted this much in one month as I have today!!! :blush:

Last year...(that's my disclaimer)...if your number, that will be in your packet, starts with 1xxx you'll be in corral A, 2xxx corral B ect...you can change with proof of time, not sure the distance. If your Goofy, it's my understanding, they'll place you with your marathon time. :confused3

Lisa, that made sense to me! Thanks.

End of the month, is that Oct or Nov??? I'm ready!!!! :earboy2:

Sara

msblrobs
11-01-2005, 03:36 PM
oops - i stink with numbers my qualifying time was 2:10 from a 1/2 and projected finish was 5:10. I just pulled the 5:10 out of the air!!!! Do I need to change corrals?

Mel: I used a 2:07 1/2 qualifying time and was placed in "C" corral this year. I think they arrange by qulifying time, not by the projected time. I saw people at the expo bringing proof of time and changing corrals, so it is possible to do.

gatorphipps
11-01-2005, 04:31 PM
Colleen, Craig, Melissa, Sara, and anyone else I may have missed - When I signed up, I put 2:10 proof of time in. Last year, I put in around the same time and that put me in corral B.
Last year...(that's my disclaimer)...if your number, that will be in your packet, starts with 1xxx you'll be in corral A, 2xxx corral B ect...you can change with proof of time, not sure the distance. If your Goofy, it's my understanding, they'll place you with your marathon time.
I did not know this. I always just waited until I got to the expo & get my # to see where I was placed. Cool!
We need to figure out just where to meet near the start b/c we may be in different corrals. (Maybe not though :confused3 ) It is easy to change @ the expo if you have proof of time (10k or above). Just take a print out of the race and they are really nice and change it if you go up any. This is so exciting!
Still have not talked to Ron! He is back though so I can let you know what he will be pacing at as soon as he emails me back. If you want to see his Marine Corp pictures, they are on his tricharlotte.com (http://www.tricharlotte.com) web site with the other race pictures @ the bottom! The people with him are some of the others Bree and I run with.
Christa

princessmomma
11-01-2005, 07:28 PM
Mel: I used a 2:07 1/2 qualifying time and was placed in "C" corral this year. I think they arrange by qulifying time, not by the projected time. I saw people at the expo bringing proof of time and changing corrals, so it is possible to do.

Sara, do I understand you correctly that you had a 2:07 half marathon and was placed in C corral for the 2005 marathon??

I was under the impression 2:10 was the cutoff between B and C corrals.

I am concerned because I thought everyone in our "merry group" would be in B corral and I would be in C corral with my 2:14 half marathon time.

Colleen

Tiger Lily 03
11-01-2005, 10:54 PM
Once the race starts, you can all catch up somehow. The corral people if it is a matter of 1 or 2 separating those in the numbers ahead start in the back of the corral and those behind get there early to start in the front of your corral would be the way we tried to do it last time. Anyone taking a cell phone? Maybe that would work to group.

I did my w/o today at the dreaded TM. I don't exactly know what is up, but on that thing I just kept pace with whatever I set, cranked it up and down a bit, but I think I find myself pressing up outside easier than on that contraption. I did 5k in 44 minutes. Not too good with that. Seems like my times are really falling back on my work during the week. Sigh

TiffJ
11-02-2005, 06:48 AM
9 WEEKS FROM TODAY I WILL BE CHECKING INTO THE WILDERNESS LODGE!!!!
:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc
I can not believe how close it is getting. No time to fall off the fitness wagon now.

I was supposed to do 40 min walk yesterday, but it was raining & I so didnt want to do TM. So I switched my days up & xt yesterday. I am going to walk today, hopefully weather is better. I can't complain, this is the 1st time weather has interfered in my walks.

Sunny-good luck witht that knee

Lisa-Your recouperation sounds like its going great. I'm very impressed by your determination.

Minnie-I hope you continue to get better

I'm just so excited I can't contain myself!!!

plutosmyfav
11-02-2005, 08:53 AM
The knee feels great today. As hard as it was, I skipped my lower body weight session yesterday and did 70 minutes on the elliptical trainer for cx. And I thought the TM was BORING. Ugh. But I got a good cardio wo without any knee pain. Yeah! I bought a knee band, I think I might do an easy short run today.

Dx brought me a flyer for an 11K on Veterans Day. I think I will do it. I can't resist :)

Sunny

MelRhoads
11-02-2005, 08:55 AM
Do I need to make reservations yet? And I forget, is it the port orleans riverside or french quarter?

Since it is confession time..... Gulp..............Drumroll.......... I'm so ashamed............ I don't know anything about disney world! I'm really exicted because the man and the manchild will surely have fun things to do while I'm running, but I am disney ignorant! I've actually delayed making the flight/hotel plans becuase I was hoping I could figure out what I needed to know on the boards about staying/traveling to dis, but they use secret code!! I have no idea what they are talking about!!! :blush:

panthergirl
11-02-2005, 09:07 AM
Just a quick update: I did my LR Saturday which was supposed to be 10 miles but ended up being 9.4 (I miscalculated somewhere!) in 2:03. That is fast for me. I want to get to 10 miles in that same time. I really want to finish the half in 2:30 but realistically will be happy if I get in under 3 hours. Anyways...great job everybody. Time sure is flying!

Susan

keenercam
11-02-2005, 09:45 AM
9 WEEKS FROM TODAY I WILL BE CHECKING INTO THE WILDERNESS LODGE!!!!

Tiff -- This was a HUGE wakeup call for me! I am blown away at the prospect that the 1/2 is so close! :bounce: It also makes me realize I really have to focus on losing another 9 pounds to get to my 1/2 marathon goal weight!

Sunny -- glad to hear you are finding things to do that will allow your knee to grow stronger!

Melissa -- You are definitely in the right place for WDW information! The first thing you have to decide is what kind of resort you want to stay in. What kinds of theming/decor do you like? What price range are you looking for? Some people don't like to spend a lot on a room because they spend so little time there. My DB and his family who had resisted staying on property stayed at Pop Century their last trip and just absolutely fell in love with the place! I think you need to decide really soon and make travel arrangements ASAP as your options will become more limited with the passage of time. Feel free to ask a zillion questions here. Between all of us, I'd bet you could find out something about any resort and the pros and cons of the various options. Have fun planning!

msblrobs
11-02-2005, 10:12 AM
Sara, do I understand you correctly that you had a 2:07 half marathon and was placed in C corral for the 2005 marathon??

I was under the impression 2:10 was the cutoff between B and C corrals.

I am concerned because I thought everyone in our "merry group" would be in B corral and I would be in C corral with my 2:14 half marathon time.

Colleen
That is correct. I submitted a 2:07:28 (just went back and re-confirmed my time) 1/2 marathon time from September 2004 and was placed in the "C" corral for 2005 WDW. Perhaps that was because I submitted proof of time after my registration. For WDW 2005, my full marathon time was 4:51:38, so I assuming that's what they'll be using to determine my corral placement.

crzy4pooh
11-02-2005, 10:18 AM
Hey!!! :wave: Just got in from 3 miles... Having taken time off for a cold, it felt like at least 6 miles... :faint: I walked on the TM yesterday for the first time (borrowed from parents) - it was a bit boring! I found in order to hear the TV, I would have had to turn it up loud enough to bother the neighbors! :rolleyes1

Hope everyone's injuries are healing quickly! I have to agree "9 weeks" made it seem way too close! I had a year to train - why did I waste so much time??? At the same time - I'm so excited!!! That Mickey medal is within reach!!! :banana:

Melissa - I would highly recommend making reservations asap. A friend of mine and her crew (6 all together) are running the half, and called recently for rooms. Their choices were limited, but that maybe because they were trying for FL resident rates. They did get in at POP, though. Please don't hesitate to ask questions - we are more than happy to help! I will be asking tons of questions about Disneyland as that race gets closer! ;)

Happy training!!! :cheer2:

plutosmyfav
11-02-2005, 10:22 AM
MelR-- Do you have AAA? If so, you might be able to get one of the AAA discounts. Based on Craig's post about walking to the start versus taking a 3AM bus, I made ressies at Port Orleans French Quarter. But I'm pretty sure he said you can walk from either of the Port Orleans. I would call ASAP, I have a feeling lots of people will be staying there at least the night before the races. You will be required to put one nights rate on your credit card but you can cancell without a fee upto 5 days before your trip. So its a good idea to make a ressie quickly.

Your a Disney newbie, that's so cute http://www.livinglively.com/clipart/heehee.gif. Ask any and all questions, someone here is guaranteed to know the answers!

I also sent you a PM with another site that has tons of useful information :)

Sunny

gatorphipps
11-02-2005, 10:40 AM
That is correct. I submitted a 2:07:28 (just went back and re-confirmed my time) 1/2 marathon time from September 2004 and was placed in the "C" corral for 2005 WDW. Perhaps that was because I submitted proof of time after my registration. For WDW 2005, my full marathon time was 4:51:38, so I assuming that's what they'll be using to determine my corral placement.
That is really crazy! I was in corral "B" (2005) and that was on a 2:10 time. They may have made a mistake with your time. All my 2:10 friends were with me too. :confused3
Christa

princessmomma
11-02-2005, 10:50 AM
Since it is confession time..... Gulp..............Drumroll.......... I'm so ashamed............ I don't know anything about disney world!

Mel, Sunny is right that is so cute that you don't know anything about Disney!

Well, you have come to the right place, first of all, I would start calling and make a decision soon because things are really filling up.

I booked at the Swan/Dolphin (I prefer the Swan, beds are heavenly) at a $159 rate using the code RUN. I was thinking about switching to the Contemporary about a month ago and they were full! I have the phone number etc. if you are thinking about the Swan/Dolphin.

Sara, thanks for the info. How was your 2005 experience? Were you happy with your time? Was it too cold, too hot, just right? Did the masses of people bother you? I love to hear about others marathon experiences. How was mile 20, were the last 6 miles tough??

Colleen

wtpclc
11-02-2005, 10:55 AM
MelR - Feel free to ask away here! As for teh code, there's an abbreviations listing on the main home page that will hep you a lot! Oh boy, we get to help share the magic with a first-timer!

gatorphipps
11-02-2005, 10:57 AM
I did 3 miles yesterday on TM and weights. My pride got the best of me and I can hardly walk now. The story is as follows.......
I was running on the TM (In the Church gym) a very comfortable pace of 10 MPM and this young man walks up to me and starts talking to me. (I hate to talk in the gym!) I had on my MP3 player so I had to take those off. He starts asking about my running and such. Then he tries to look how fast I am going but I have a towel over the consol (sp?). He asks why and I tell him it is all mental, blah, blah, blah....After the run I start doing weights and he comes up to me again... :confused: (Why doesn't he leave me alone!!!) He says he can show me some wonderful abs exercises so I say OK, trying to be nice. We start doing the reps and I really think I am going to DIE! But I have just told him I am training for an "Ultra" and I cannot look weak! I do keep up with him, to his dismay, I think...and now here I am the day b/4 I run 5 Thursday and 10 Friday (added in the 5 for fun). I can hardly move. I am so stupid!
I also have picked up some kind of cold from my DAD! Thanks dad! My sister has it too.
Christa

Calcio
11-02-2005, 11:02 AM
Melissa

Port Orleans French Quarter is at most at 1/2 mile walk from the starting line of the full marathon. This year (both half and full at same start location) we left the lobby at 5:30 and were in the corrals by 5:40.

For the half in 2006, the start looks to be at about mile 1 of the full marathon course, so we'll have a bit farther to walk on Saturday morning. Still beats other methods of transport to the start.

Only you can decide how to balance the resort you'd like to be in for your visit with a resort which makes it easy to get to the starting line. I feel strongly enough about easy access to the start that even though we are DVC owners at the Boardwalk Villas (bought specifically for use during the week around the marathon every January), my wife and I slip over to POFQ late in the evening before the race so we can sleep longer and get to the start with minimum effort.

If you are interested in Port Orleans (Riverside is right next door) I would jump pretty quickly. Last year when we checked in the place was very full, literally crawling with runners.

P.S. Small world, but my mother was born in Rogers, Arkansas. I suspect it's changed a bit in the last 70 years, however.

Craig

Lisa loves Pooh
11-02-2005, 11:06 AM
Oh gosh---I feel...well...goofy!!!

I soo wish I registered for it---then there woudl be no torment and wonder over what to do.

Here's the official scoop.

I am not cleared to run for "at least" 2 more weeks. I got permission to walk on the treadmill--but with a very stern warning to not walk for speed...I can use it to practice my walking to make sure that form is correct. Due to muscle weakness, the IT band will try to compensate and I would be at risk for a setback--so no speed.

The PT is very conservative in his prognosis and says the half will be no problem. Until I run--he just cannot clear me for the full...b/c there is no real guarantee of finish. He can't say that I will fail either--b/c he cannot assess my running...b/c I am not allowed to run.

So I made hubby promise to register and train for the 2007 full..and I am going to run the half with him.

I would be much more accepting of this if I knew that doing the full would be really bad and not doable...the torment is that noone can say that it will be.

But hey--it's Disney--and I guess last years Mickey needs a buddy and not a twin and my efforts to finally log 1 of 50 in the 50 marathon attempt...will have to wait another year.

The good news---when I was doing 1 legged biking--my right leg can do 100rpms. And that's fast (for me anyway). This is on the easiest setting too. Well two days ago, the left leg had trouble making it to 1 full revolution...and even yesterday morning when I did my range of motion on the bike--I was at times not going fast enough to keep the bike data thing going (you know--the auto pause or shutting off b/c your going to slow). Last night without even trying...I got up to 60rpms. YEAH!

The therapist did not question my ability on the cardio...its the stupid quad!

I should take a picture--so you can see what he's talking about. When squeezing my quads--my right one looks....well...awesome...you can see all the definition and chiseling as a result of all that wonderful training. The left leg--well it is flat! It's got nothing. Yesterday--I can finally see some sqeeze near the kneecap--but not even close to squat!

I still don't comprehend how 1 day of immobility just makes 10 weeks of training on the quad--literally disappear.

Anywho--I'm on board for the half and I suckered hubby into the full for 2007. Buwahahahahaha....maybe that was my plan all along ;).

Lisa loves Pooh
11-02-2005, 11:10 AM
Carrie--I still have to figure out paypal!!!!! Sorry!!!!

msblrobs
11-02-2005, 12:06 PM
Sara, thanks for the info. How was your 2005 experience? Were you happy with your time? Was it too cold, too hot, just right? Did the masses of people bother you? I love to hear about others marathon experiences. How was mile 20, were the last 6 miles tough??
Colleen

Colleen, I have to preface this by saying I am a recreational runner by nature. I prefer not to race at all except at WDW and 2005 was my first marathon. I run for fun, fitness and as a natural anti-depressant. I was happy with my time. My DH and kids saw me at mile 23 and couldn't believe how great I looked. I never felt the need to run hard during the race and I just was taking in the entire experience. I normally train exclusively on a treadmill, so the heat really didn't bother me at all even though it was unusually warm from past WDW marathons. I really wasn't bothered by the masses of people. There are some parts of the course where it narrows a bit which is kind of a PITA as far as crowd control goes. I never ran at a pace I knew I couldn't sustain for a LONG period of time, so the last 6 miles weren't bad for me. Mentally, the last mile was tough, if only for the sole reason that emotionally I knew I would be conquering this mighty feat. When I heard the Gospel choir singing at mile 26, it was hard to run while you're crying, KWIM?! For me it was more about the experience and I STILL to this day tear up remembering parts of the course (World Showcase in the dark is particularly emotional for me). As you can see, I could go on forever about the 2005 marathon. The memories are truly priceless. I can't wait to share it with you all.

princessmomma
11-02-2005, 12:46 PM
When I heard the Gospel choir singing at mile 26, it was hard to run while you're crying, KWIM?! For me it was more about the experience and I STILL to this day tear up remembering parts of the course (World Showcase in the dark is particularly emotional for me). As you can see, I could go on forever about the 2005 marathon. The memories are truly priceless. I can't wait to share it with you all.

Oh, no, I am tearing up already! Not a Gospel Choir :cloud9: , that will really put me over the edge! I hope I can hold it together with all those people at the end of mile 26! :thewave:

Thanks for telling us tidbits of your experience, others have mentioned the first 4 miles through Epcot in the dark was a great experience too!

Craig, seriously, you left your lobby at 5:30??? So the 3:00 a.m. pick ups of those staying at the all the other resorts? Even if it takes an hour to get to the race start, that is still 4 a.m. Methinks I need to re-evalute my resort choice.

Colleen

kaf7878
11-02-2005, 01:20 PM
Wow, everyone is doing wonderful sounds like! I am doing pretty well myself. Starting to get more confident about finishing. We have our 10 mile LR scheduled for Sunday--dropping the kids at my parents while DH and I run and then we'll return for dinner--what a deal!

Doing 6 this afternoon but woke up with a pinched nerve in my neck--hopefully it won't "cramp" my style too much during the run-ha!

Craig, how do you walk to the start?? I am staying at OKW and am doing the full--how would I get there??

Calcio
11-02-2005, 01:22 PM
Colleen

Yes, absolutely.

My first WDW race was January 2004, and I didn't feel like the 3 a.m. bus, so I walked out of the Boardwalk at 5 with a plan to get to the start. I made it with some luck, but just before 6 a.m. I saw lots of people walking over from Old Key West and Port Orleans That was enough for me.

For the January 2005 race my wife ran for the first time, and yes, we walked out of the lobby at POFQ at 5:30. I would have stayed a bit longer but Martha was pushing me out the door. You don't go through the staging area at all (so no porta-potties), but you literally walk past the guard booth, turn left, walk maybe 200 yards, cross the canal on the bridge and you are at the start for the full.

This year I guess we'll leave the lobby at 5:20 for the half, and 5:35 for the full. I figure anything I can do to sleep later and spend less time standing is gold.

Kaf

When you exit OKW literally walk west toward the light and the sound. You cannot miss it. They have big lights at the start and the dj's are talking. Again, there is a concrete bridge over the canal, which is used by cars during normal times, but not on race morning at 5:30.

Craig

plutosmyfav
11-02-2005, 01:29 PM
As you can see, I could go on forever about the 2005 marathon. The memories are truly priceless. I can't wait to share it with you all.

Go on! Go on! I love hearing the stories, too! It gets me sooooo excited. I can't wait :Pinkbounc

Lisa-- Sounds like your finding new ways to challenge the athlete in you. Now you can PR in One legged cycling!

I just did a very easy run. I chose a course that is almost all flat (it meant taking my life into my hands to run on a very busy street, but my knee comes first :p ). I did 7 miles at an avg pace of 9:41. I am so amazed that such a pace can feel easy nowadays. I wore my new knee band and my stability Asics (Kayano's) instead of my Cumulus. As soon as I got back to my desk I got the leg up and its icing as I type. (Hope no one comes to see me for a while) :blush: So far so good :goodvibes

Oh but I do miss the leg press....

Sunny

Jodi
11-02-2005, 02:07 PM
OMGosh, sounds like some people, other than myself, are having knee probs. Ugh, hang in there, guys, we'll make it. My right knee woke me up @ 3a.m. this a.m., throbbing...nothing a little ibuprofen couldn't take care of. Considering buying stock in the stuff soon.

Everyone doing the full is making me quite jealous. I signed up for the 1/2, hardly expecting to finish, let alone run it, but I'm now convinced I should be able to run (wog) the whole thing. Kinda makes me wish I signed up for the full instead. Oh well, maybe next year. This is my first attempt @ running more than 5 miles, so....

ARGGGh! Craig, you're killin' me! I'm staying @ BWVs 'cause I thought it was a spot w/ easy access to the start of the 1/2. I'm wrong, though, aren't I? I shoulda stayed @ OKW. 3 a.m. & I do not mix well!

My mom is walking the 1/2, she's 69 a training like a fool. Yesterday, though, she had a serious mishap. She was cleaning windows @ her house & one fell down & amputated here L pointer finger below the first knuckle! Man, I felt so bad for her, she was so upset (mostly mad at herself). They couldn't re-attach it either. While in the ER w/ her & the doc, I looked @ her & said "I hope you don't think that in some bizarre way, this gets you out of doing the half with me?" She laughed & said it wasn't her toe, it was her finger. She & I both have a twisted sense of humor & the Dr. was all but mortified when we discussed the possibility of her receiving discounts on future manicures. I guess that was in bad taste.

I hate my knees, did I mention that already? oh, ok.

Jodi

MelRhoads
11-02-2005, 02:11 PM
I tried, but I got scared and overwhelmed. I checked out one of those sites and it was overwhelming. I'm going to try to call the resort and make a reservation. Yes, I can adventure race for over 24 consecutive hours, but I can't do this!!!!!

princessmomma
11-02-2005, 02:19 PM
Oh Jodi, so sorry to hear about your Mom's finger! I hope she does well.

I just checked online for a Disney resort for marathon weekend and they only offer All star Music, Wilderness Lodge and Villas, Contemporary (at a big price) and maybe one other, but no moderates.

Craig, thanks for the info. I guess I will need to book POFQ early for 2007 marathon!! :flower:

Colleen

plutosmyfav
11-02-2005, 03:18 PM
I tried, but I got scared and overwhelmed. I checked out one of those sites and it was overwhelming. I'm going to try to call the resort and make a reservation. Yes, I can adventure race for over 24 consecutive hours, but I can't do this!!!!!

I hear ya! I'm a veteran DISer and I'm overwhelmed and panicked by the new "Magic Your Way" park tickets. I haven't figured out what I need yet. Oh I miss the old days when there were just a couple of choices....

My advice is to get a ressie down, and then continue to research. You can always change your ressies if you figure out something better but they will fill up fast.

gatorphipps
11-02-2005, 03:40 PM
GIRL! I understand! This is why DH handles everything. He loves it and I just tell him what I want. I have a phone phobia (dont ask) so he has to call and make all the ressies.

Jodi - Hope your mom is doing well. You remind me of my relationship with my mom and sis. We are sick in the head too.

Craig - You are my hero! I could never wait that late to go over to the start. DH would love that, but I fear I would panic. We are staying at the GF the 1st 2 nights then transfering to BWV. We will ride the monorails over and let me pee 1000 or so times. I have to try out as many pot-a-jons as I can. :rotfl: It is part of my sickness in the head. He just laughs @ me.

Christa

MelRhoads
11-02-2005, 03:54 PM
Do you guys do the meal plan thing???? What about park hopper - WHAT DOES THAT MEAN??? I think I am going to ge the meal plan for all 7 days, park hopper for 4 days for all of us and let the man and manchild get their other 2 passes when they get there on race days. IS THIS OK. TELL ME!!!!

Goofy should be easy compared to this!

littlegreydonkey
11-02-2005, 04:11 PM
Hi guys - has everyone seen the code that's up over marathon weekend, It's code YRE and while the bumph says it just upgrades you to park hopper and water parks, it does also give you room discount too - I was very happy when I put down the phone, basically our tickets worked out free!!!.

As for corrals, personally, trying to keep track of a bunch of people around the start of a race this size could be really hard, so it might be better to arrange a 'catch up point' somewhere in Epcot where you all convene, might be easier than a) trying to move corrals b) trying to stick with a group of people you dont know that well when surrounded by hundreds of other people you don't know at all- if you're running you're going to be ahead of the sweepers so 5 minutes break shouldn't hurt - just my opinion. Also the first year I did it, I put down a 2.15 pace and was in corral J as they had them stacked in two lines - I was over the start line in a matter of minutes - so the As and Bs might not always mean what we think.

Oh and Mel, Park Hopper means you can go to more than one park on different days. Handy if you want to see one particularly parade on a day when another park has longer opening hours or if your family want to see you run through say Epcot and Magic Kingdom - my advice, head to the bookstore, buy the Unofficial guide to Walt Disney World, book a rest day in bed and prepare for panic!!!! Actually, the first time we went to Disney we just turned up, trotted about and had a fab time, it's only when we got to visit 6 we started strategising!!!! Helen

princessmomma
11-02-2005, 04:28 PM
Do you guys do the meal plan thing???? What about park hopper - WHAT DOES THAT MEAN??? I think I am going to ge the meal plan for all 7 days, park hopper for 4 days for all of us and let the man and manchild get their other 2 passes when they get there on race days. IS THIS OK. TELL ME!!!!

Goofy should be easy compared to this!

Melissa,

I think it is cheaper for the "man and manchild" :rotfl: to buy 6 or 7 day hoppers then to split it up into 4 and 2, the two will be quite expensive. You could just buy your four day hopper (a hopper allows you to visit more than one park in a day).

I would recommend that you purchase room and tickets separately (Ticketmania has good prices on tickets).

As for the meal plan, it is ALOT of food. It is convenient but we would not do the meal plan again.

Colleen

wtpclc
11-02-2005, 04:31 PM
If you do the meal plan, I would recommend 2 meals a day, not 3. Way way too much food. I second Helen. Buy the guide. Still feel free to ask away here, though!

TiffJ
11-02-2005, 05:07 PM
Jodi- so sorry to hear about DM finger. My mom is doing the 1/2 with me also. She's 64(and she can smoke me in pacing)

MelR-ask away! My friends call me the "Disney Nazi" The hotels are selling out so you def. need to go ahead with your reservation. We are staying at the WL for the 1st time. Cant walk to the start but its a beautiful hotel. Kids will love it! I agree about getting tickets at Ticketmania, much cheaper & great service.

Today was SR did 2.79 miles at 14:20 pace. Tomorrow I'm doing my first spinning class. Hope to be able to walk Friday :rotfl:

Cam-Everytime I tell my mom how much (or little) time we have left she says "stop that" It's comming faster & faster!

I made my ADR today for Chef Mickey's , this will be another first for us. The boys are excited about eating at the restaurant we always ride over.

gatorphipps
11-02-2005, 05:59 PM
Hey all! Just read the email WDW sends us for the marathon and 1/2. There are 2 starting points for the marathon. Red and blue depending on corral. They go different ways in EPCOT! Did you all already know this and I am behind? This is the first I have heard of it. Please humor me and say you are surprized too. :confused3
Christa

princessmomma
11-02-2005, 06:01 PM
Hey all! Just read the email WDW sends us for the marathon and 1/2. There are 2 starting points for the marathon. Red and blue depending on corral. They go different ways in EPCOT! Did you all already know this and I am behind? This is the first I have heard of it. Please humor me and say you are surprized too. :confused3
Christa

Yes, Christa, just read it! It is a surprise for me too!!

Glad to read our packages are in the mail.

Lisa loves Pooh
11-02-2005, 06:06 PM
It worries me that everyone has some knee issues--so indulge me as I share what I have been told by coaches, docs and such.

If you have a knee problem--hills are a bad thing. And for some reason--downhill is worse than uphill (probably b/c going down, you think you can go as fast as possible...this encourages a longer stride..which makes more load on your knee...which stresses your knee). If you can--try to find a flat course--or just walk downhill.

Speed---this can be a problem. Remember the babystep thing I shared. If you are running with long strides and are far from 90 steps per minute (per foot)--like at 85 or lower...your stride is too long and you are running too fast. Shorten the stride, get to 90--you may find your pace improve, and the knee pain go away.

These two, I have been told...are primary culprits in knee issues when overuse/exercise causes knee pain.

Other things....you can try some knee straps--if the pain disappears while you run or walk...and then doesn't reappear after the run and the strap is off--you could just have a weird anatomy that causes grinding. I have heard this is runner's knee...but it could be something else as well. The strap holds things firm in place so your parts aren't grinding one another.

Meniscus--my problem was a tear...an MRI is the only way to diagnose--I had it for YEARS. Swelling is not a sign...but my knee did finally start to swell...so I had to get it checked. The telling symptom--a very sharp pin pointed pain when the leg is frully bent (like when you stretch your quad or are in a squating position). My pain was on my tibia (lower leg bone) though it was a knee problem. And pressing firmly to the right side of my knee cap was painful (other side and both sides of the other knee--felt just like pressure). All these points....if painful when pressure is apply (for me, felt like when you press a fresh bruise)...could be caused by a torn meniscus.

Plica in your knee can also cause pain. Not everyone has them...but when you do--it will cause problems as you age. Exercise is not the cause...so if you can tolerate it--you can do it.

If you have any swelling in your knee at all--this is not normal.

Take care of those knees, ladies! If it is still hurting with knee braces and such, something is probably wrong and you need to identify what it is--to rule out that running will make it worse. If you know what it is--you can know how to run with it. Of course--you need a runner friendly doctor. B/c lots will tell you--if it hurts...then don't do it. Who likes to listen to that stuff?

Not an expert---just a friend. :flower:

Lisa loves Pooh
11-02-2005, 06:07 PM
Yes, Christa, just read it! It is a surprise for me too!!

Glad to read our packages are in the mail.

Can you guys share the e-mail with the rest of the class, please :)

chimera
11-02-2005, 06:21 PM
Can you guys share the e-mail with the rest of the class, please :)

Here ya go, Lisa!

2006 Marathon Programs...In the Mail

Your 2006 WALT DISNEY WORLD. Marathon Weekend Program is being mailed to you this week. It can take up to two weeks to ship, so you can expect it to arrive sometime before Thanksgiving. The Program is designed to be a resource to help you maximize your WALT DISNEY WORLD. Marathon Weekend experience. Please refer to the program for information regarding many new Marathon Weekend procedures due to the new two-day format.

Also arriving with your 2006 Marathon Program will be your Official Race Number Pick-up Card and Waiver. You are required to sign your Race Number Pick-up Card and Waiver and bring it with you to Disney's Health and Fitness Expo - Presented by TYLENOL. 8 Hour in order to receive your official race number and race packet. Don't forget to pack your Race Number Pick-up Card and Waiver and bring it with you to the Expo!

Anyone have their own Champion Chip? Looks like a toy that I don't yet have, but I'm not sure I really need one. Anyone have any advice?

Nancy...I'll be there in 2007! Thanks for sharing the photo of your new house...it looks wonderful! :love:

MelR...ask all the questions you like. DH and I used to think we knew a lot about Disney 'til we found these boards. We'll be going to WDW this weekend if anyone needs anything ;)

Lisa loves Pooh
11-02-2005, 06:34 PM
Mel--am I missing something? I don't see the part about color coding and separate corral areas.

SoCalSnail
11-02-2005, 07:00 PM
This will be my first half-marathon and I'm really excited. I train with other runners who will run the OC (Orange County California) Marathon on the same weekend. But, I'm flying to Disney for my event.

How do I find someone to run with at my pace? I do 5/1 (run/walk) intervals at about a 11:30 pace (so far). When I run alone, all I want to do is stop. I definitely need someone to chat with during the event.

Any ideas?

wfloyd
11-02-2005, 07:06 PM
Here is the part about the change in courses.

Course Updates

Please note that there have been slight modifications to both the Half Marathon and the Marathon courses. One major change is that there will now be two starting lines for the Marathon. Marathon participants will be assigned to one of two starts: Marathon Blue or Marathon Red. Your starting location will be determined by your assigned corral. Please review the updated Marathon and Half Marathon Course Maps for more information.

Half Map http://adisneyworldsports.disney.go.com/media/dwws_v0220/en_US/pdf/06HalfCourseMap.pdf

Full Map http://adisneyworldsports.disney.go.com/media/dwws_v0220/en_US/pdf/06FullCourseMap.pdf

The links go to the new course maps.

Lisa loves Pooh
11-02-2005, 07:10 PM
Could it be like other races (NYC comes to mind)--that one color will be the faster athletes and their corrals....and the other the slower athletes and their corrals?

(like A-D for example would be red..and then E-H would be blue).

xterratri
11-02-2005, 07:19 PM
championchip- yes, I have my own but... the reason was the ones provided at triathlons came on non-padded velcro straps. I always ended up with the blister to open bleeding sores progression by the end of even sprint distance triathlons. So I bought my own chip on a neoprene strap. The ones used at running races tend to tie to shoe laces so the reason I bought mine isn't as much of a problem.

I'm curious about this red and blue start with the courses merging between miles 3 and 4. Maybe our packets will tell us which one we'll be at. It does make some sense as 3 miles will be plenty of distance to allow separation between the 9 min/mile and 15 min/mile and everyone in between so maybe the congestion will be eased.

Hotels- We are also DVC members but I cancelled the ressie on points and booked using the Best Rate program at Port Orleans Riverside. I know that French Quarter is a little closer but I think that the walk between two isn't bad. It looks like the half start will be a bigger issue to get to. What about driving to the Epcot parking lot? That looks fairly close to the half start but I don't know what they will do about road closures so it might be hassle. We will have a rental car for the first time in our trips to WDW as I think it will make things like getting to Trails End easier. It's easy to get to parks but a bit harder to other resorts sometimes.

Had a decent run this afternoon. Actually got to run in the daylight today. Tomorrow will be after dark though as I have an orthopedics preceptorship in the morning and then 4 hours of lecture. Nathalie and I will run after class at 5 and then we have to work at the last anatomy review for the first years. Hopefully my illuminite stuff will come tomorrow.

PD :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: on the injuries that range from knee surgery to a lopped off finger. It sounds like most of the aches and pains are related to what we medical types refer to as overuse injuries though. The mileage in whatever training program you're using has been going up and people's bodies respond differently to that. Sometimes, if you're not willing to rest completely to let it heal, you just have to tough the pain out. It's better to get that confirmed and make sure that it's not something that's going to progress though.

wfloyd
11-02-2005, 07:19 PM
That's what we first thought. It would spread out the runners a little more. DW thinks the Blue course is the best because it takes you through the World Showcase when it is still dark.

Now the question is what are the times that will get you into the color group that you want.

gatorphipps
11-02-2005, 07:22 PM
Could it be like other races (NYC comes to mind)--that one color will be the faster athletes and their corrals....and the other the slower athletes and their corrals?
I say that is it. One for faster and one for slower. I am glad I was not the last one to see this. The marine corp marathon did this this year. They did not start @ 2 different places, but @ 2 different times. This is what I understood from Ron. Xterratri (Hope this is spelled right) was there I think and may have more insite.
Christa

Lisa loves Pooh
11-02-2005, 07:39 PM
I just hope I don't get too separated by hubby--he couldn't quite remember his finish time (he thinks he put 3:00) and instead of guessing...I just put 2:15...figure I can always fall back. Hope we're at least the same color.

:(

Minnie
11-02-2005, 07:44 PM
Hi everyone,

It really seems like the injured are creaping up in numbers :earseek: . :wizard: to us all!!!!!!!!

As far as plans I have not made plane nor resort ressies because of my nagging injury. I am at the point of not knowing if I'll make the start line so I don't want to make ressies. I know I will have to eventually but I'm trying to put it off until I'm at least able to run again.

As far as my bum it is doing slighly better. The nagging soreness is still there but the pain has been much lower the last couple days. Hoepfully the PT/ice will bring relief soon.

Good luck everyone!

wfloyd
11-02-2005, 07:45 PM
It looks like the half marathon is all starting from the same place. Only the full has two different starting points right now.

princessmomma
11-02-2005, 08:34 PM
This will be my first half-marathon and I'm really excited. I train with other runners who will run the OC (Orange County California) Marathon on the same weekend. But, I'm flying to Disney for my event.

How do I find someone to run with at my pace? I do 5/1 (run/walk) intervals at about a 11:30 pace (so far). When I run alone, all I want to do is stop. I definitely need someone to chat with during the event.

Any ideas?

Welcome SoCalSnail!! :wave2:
There are a lot of runners/walkers here doing the half. I am sure you could try and meet up with some. Come by and post so we can get to know you.

Has anyone ever ran with a pace bunny?? This was also in our email from Disney Marathon today.....

Clif Bar Pace Team

The Clif Bar Pace Team is excited to be the “official” Pace Team of the Walt Disney World Marathon! This group of guys & gals truly enjoy helping runners of all abilities achieve their Marathon goals, and are looking forward to meeting and running with you in January! If you want to run with a pace leader who knows how to keep even splits, get you to the finish within two minutes UNDER chip time, and enjoy the camaraderie of a group working together towards a common goal, the Clif Bar Pace Team is for you!

Groups being offered are as follows (Marathon Only): 3:10, 3:20, 3:30, 3:40, 3:50, 4:00, 4:15, 4:30, 5:00, and 5:30. As always, participation is FREE, and registration is open to ALL runners of the Disney Marathon. Each online registrant will be sent a free CLIF BAR TRAINING KIT, which includes samples of their products along with some useful training and race-day tips.

Register to receive your free TRAINING KIT

xterratri
11-02-2005, 09:35 PM
Marine Corps Marathon experiences- I didn't actually see the start as I was at Aid Station 6(between miles 16 and 17) but I know they did 2 waves, scarlet or red for us normal people and gold or yellow. The bibs were color coded to wave and it looked like they were based on seed time although some gold runners had caught up to some scarlet runners by the point they came by us.

MCM was also a Clif pace race. The pace group leaders carried balloons with their goal time on it. I saw the groups up to 4 hours come by and then I got busy and was working rather than watching and cheering. I'm signed up for a group for WDW because I have a tendency to take it out too fast. While I would love to qualify for Boston, I don't think I have the miles in my legs to run a 3:40 yet so I signed up for the 4 hr group. Hopefully the corral system will be set up to allow people to hook up with the pace groups they want to run with.

You know how people talk about the progress we've made since last winter, I've been feeling it too. 6 miles is now just a routine weekday run rather than a 'long' run and I think I can actually run a Boston pace. Probably not at WDW this January but within the next year, definitely. I used to think that was out of my reach. I thought that the third knee reconstruction had toasted completely what little speed I had but I guess I just needed patience, persistance, and a training plan.

Lisa loves Pooh
11-02-2005, 10:25 PM
15 minutes on the bike this evening. This range of motion exercises is almost cardio. :banana: I got up to 80rpm at one point...very fluid, no restrictions...and no sweat (so not a lot of effort).

Still can't find that stupid quad though.

"Come out, come out wherever you are!!!!!!" pirate:

Tiger Lily 03
11-02-2005, 11:02 PM
Welcome SoCalSnail, Welcome to our group! You will want to stop by here often. As you post and get to know us and we you things will begin to sort out. We are planning a meet up on the weekend at Trails End and you may want to check into that thread too. I look forward to getting to know you.

I hope that the split start locations will allow for a smooth transition. I am envisioning it as the start for the half and full having 2 different locales but joining in along the route. Is the "merge" further along though? I loved going around Showcase in the a.m., but I am thinking I will be in the group that does not get that opportunity. That was spectacular for sure!

I went outdoors tonight for a 5.2 jaunt. It was spectacular. Cooler than I expected so I guess that is why I hustled more and managed a 12:29 pace for the effort. That is great for me and I will take it. Now I will not sustain this at all, but it was fun doing it and sure beat that dreaded TM.

Lisa, glad to hear of your progress. Good that you and DH will be going together for this year and next. Seems like the '07 team is shaping already.

MelRhoads
11-02-2005, 11:12 PM
You would all be so proud of me!! I did it. Sortof. I have reservations for the Port Orleans French Quarter for Thurs 1/5 - 1/10 and then I'm moving to Pop Century until 1/12. I did 5 day park hopper for all three of us and the meal plan for the 1st 5 days. For some reason, I could not get it when I move the the pop century. I don't care though, because when I registered for goofy, I signed up for a card to earn points and i can redeem those for whatever for the trip so I can use them for food and toys the boy wants to buy. I also got a direct flight from rogers to orlando (yes craig, a ton has changed since your mom was born thanks to sam walton and wal-mart! now we have an airport with direct flights to tons of major cities mostly so walmart people and vendors for the products they carry can fly in and out!!) All I have to do now is go pay the travel agent (it's true... I am a weenie and I let her do most of the work but I had to help her with the POFQ stuff becuase she couldn't find me a room and I was persistant!!)

I have this huge book I'm supposed to read so that we can figure out where to eat and what to ride and all that, but I'm pretty sure I could get through the Lord of the Rings trilogy or Pride and Prejudice again before I get through this disney guide!!

I'm thinking I need to ask you guys what the boy would like (somebody mentioned eating with the disney characters. That sounds like something he would enjoy.) Also can kids go to the nicer places? And what exactly is pleasure island???? I know the resorts offer babysitting in the room for FIFTEEN DOLLARS AN HOUR ouch!!

Yesterday I did 3 miles of speedwork, this evening did 8 miles at around 10:30 pace. Tomorrow morn I am scheduled for 17. I'm a little nervous about this distance. The last road LR was 14 and I did last weeks, as I have reported, on the trail. I'd like to finish in time to get groceries before the boy is out of preschool!!!! This is my first back to back long run. I will probably only do 2 more like this. I'll do 2 10's before my 2 20's. I'm thinking my marathon pace may be a little slower than 11, maybe around 11:15, but if I have you guys to talk to and your doing 11, I'm with you!!!!!

I feel so accomplished! I have some major plans completed!

wtpclc
11-03-2005, 08:02 AM
Mel - There are many character dinig experiences. Breakfasts, except CInderella's Royal Table, aka CRT, are the best value. Pick your son's favorite character and we'll tell you where they are. (Your book should have it too.)

It's Disney, kids can go everywhere.

Pleasure Island is a more adult place with multiple clubs. I hear kids are allowed there now too, used to be 19 and up, but I haven't bene there since the change.

Can't help with sitters, but I know others can.

I'm torn btwn trying to run a bit today (only 2 days rest for hip since last attempt) or waiting until Saturday to try again. DOn't know if starting again with 14 is a great idea, but I missed my 6 last Sat and I am so afraid of missing this 14. DH tells me I shouldn't so it no matter how I feel. If I don't run, I may go on a bike ride for the same length of time or walk.

princessmomma
11-03-2005, 08:44 AM
All I have to do now is go pay the travel agent (it's true... I am a weenie and I let her do most of the work but I had to help her with the POFQ stuff becuase she couldn't find me a room and I was persistant!!

Mel, Wow, very impressive!! Good job, but how on earth did you get POfQ?? I checked on the Disney site and called CRO and they told me there were no rooms left. I should try and call again.

Colleen

keenercam
11-03-2005, 08:44 AM
Melissa -- If you are looking for a great character dining experience, I'd recommend any of the following:
Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary Resort -- buffet with Mickey, Minnie, Goofy & Chip & Dale. Donald often appears where you wait to go in the restaurant, for a family picture. The price is pretty reasonable for the quality of food. We love it for brunch and then are often only in need of a late, light dinner

Cape May Cafe at Beach & Yacht Club -- Minnie, Goofy, Chip & Dale. Breakfast buffet is wonderful. You have to try Mickey waffles, whereever you go!

Crystal Palace -- Winnie the Pooh, Eeyore, Piglet, Tigger. This is absolutely awesome. Another buffet. Food is very good and the character interaction is wonderful. You will have lots of photo opportunities.

Have fun planning! I always think it is almost as much fun as the trip itself.

BTW, Pleasure Island is located at Downtown Disney. One end of the DTD (Downtown Disney) complex has shopping, including Team Mickey (sporting goods, clothes) and World of Disney and Lego. You will love it here. Plan on spending a few hours. The kids love seeing all the huge lego creations, including a sea serpent that appears to come up out of the lake and an alien family sightseeing on earth and someone walking a bunch of dogs -- all made out of legos. There is also a Ghirardelli chocolate place and Wolfgang Puck's restaurant, and Basin (soaps, shampoos, etc.) and the Disney Christmas/Holiday store.

Pleasure Island is all themed nightclubs. They used to do fireworks at midnight but I hear they don't anymore. The Comedy Warehouse is great fun, as is Adventurers Club and 8 Traxx (80s music). So much to do and see. Better for adults, not really for kids. There's lots of other great stuff there too including Planet Hollywood, a movie theatre, fun shops, Cirque du Soleil, etc.

Oh, yeah, I could go on for hours :teeth:. Ask away with your questions! :cloud9:

TXBelle
11-03-2005, 08:48 AM
I am overwhelmed with work right now. It is so frustrating how the whole "job" thing interferes with my training schedule! ;) I have not been able to work out since Monday. Hopefully I will be able to go to the gym tomorrow and get in a 60 minute run on the TM. My LR is 8 miles this weekend. We are having a garage sale on Saturday so the LR may have to wait until Sunday this week. We will be getting rid of a bunch of stuff just in time to get more stuff for Christmas. :confused3 Could someone please control my IC of internet shopping? My DH is wondering if the endless parade of packages that are coming every day will ever end. Yes, on December 25th dear. :rotfl:

The 2007 WISH marathon team is definitely shaping up. Put me down for the full in 2007! The DL 1/2 marathon will be my warm-up next year. :banana:

We are getting close now! Time for me to really concentrate on losing those 10 pounds before January.

Minnie
11-03-2005, 09:16 AM
Carrie - I know this is not what you want to hear becaue I didn't either but my PT told me that running will only hurt the hip area further and should be avoided until fully healed. She did clear me for distance walking though once the hip pain is gone for a full week. Personally I am going to give the walking a try this weekend even though the pain is still persistent. If Motrin and ice will work then I'm going forward with it until after the Marathon. Good luck to you!

Minnie
11-03-2005, 09:19 AM
The rumors of booked resorts is making me anxious even though I don't know if I'll be there for the Marathon or not this year :guilty:

My family loves the WL but if it means that I'd have to be on a bus at 3am versus walking over at 5am I'll forgo it.

Please help me decide where to book!

BTW - I'm an annual passholder if that makes a difference.

Thanks everyone!

Calcio
11-03-2005, 09:40 AM
2 Marathon Starts

It appears the full is quite full, thus the 2 starts. I'm not sure if they will put the fast runners on one side, the slower on the other, or put faster runners in the front of both sides and then fill each side back with progressively slower runners. I suspect the 2nd alternative.

The Red course is the old full marathon course. You start, after one mile exit to the right, wind back under the main road, go through the parking toll stalls, run straight into EPCOT, under the ball, past the fountain, hit the lake, turn left past Mexico, Norway and China, turn left and merge with the other start group behind China (it will be very congested, you can bet on this).

The Blue course is the old half marathon course. Start, run along, then up and over an overpass, lurn left, enter Epcot on a service road, run behind the land and Soarin, and enter World Showcase between Canada and the U.K. (there is a double brown gate near the red phone boxes). Turn right, past the U.K. over the bridge, past France, Morocco, Japan, Italy, U.S. and Germany, then turn right and merge with the other start group behind China.
Again, look for big congestion at the merge.

Both alternatives a very cool. Red gets the lights of entry, a gauntlet of supporters cheering as you enter EPCOT, the fountain, the lights between the fountain and the lake, the light of World Showcase, the torches, great music, and the sun just beginning to turn the horizon pink. Blue gets a quieter entrance to EPCOT, but more of world showcase's lights, torches, and music. Given a choice, I'm not sure which one I'd take, so either way when I see my number, corral, and Red or Blue, I'll be happy.

I can't wait to get the packet in the mail.

Craig

perfectmatch300
11-03-2005, 12:56 PM
After my workout last night, I'm thinking there actually may be some hope for me for the 2007 1/2! :Pinkbounc :banana: :bounce:

I went out wogging at about 10 PM last night - yes, I truly AM a night person but it's great in my neighborhood at that hour! Anyway, using the step counting that Lisa suggested I did a PB of 16:30 for a mile! I know that's way slow for you big dogs, but not for this little pup! Since as recently as about 2 months ago, just before our move the very best I was able to manage was a 19 min mile, that's a big improvement. I'm chalking some of it up to the cooler temps and lower humidity, but I know some of it is all my hard work finally showing some results.

So here's my plan. There is no way I could go at that pace for the half right now. I'm not sure I could even make 5K yet at that pace, but maybe..... I'm going to spend some time to see if I can do that pace or better - I'd like to get to 15:30 for one mile on my speed walks before I try to increase the distance. I'll still do my long walks and xtrain but not worry as much about the pace as on the speed walks. At least at this point I'd be right behind the sweepers, and not so far behind I couldn't see them!

Sorry, long post here but I do want to share one other thing I recently realized. I have spent literally YEARS trying to conserve energy, slowing my pace down so I'd make it through the long days that I used to have to work that I believe has carried over into my training. I'm finding out that if I put that kind of thinking aside that I actually am stronger and can go faster than I seem to think I can! Feels like a breakthrough in my mental game to me! The thing that helped me to realize this was reading what all of you are doing and realizing that I could push myself harder now than I have been, and also about how great it feels when I do that.

I'm glad to see that a lot of you will still be around for 2007. I'll be looking forward to sharing the journey and I have decided that I'm just going to jump in and register earlly for tha half!

Oh, interesting about the 2 different starts for the full. Hard to say which one I'd choose if I had the choice. Either would be great!

gatorphipps
11-03-2005, 01:30 PM
Hey all! Looks like everyone is doing GREAT!

Melissa - Congrats on your ressies. My girls and nephew LOVE the character breakfasts. Chef Mickey is AWESOME!

Perfectmatch300 - Congrats on your pace. That is a huge improvement! :cheer2: Keep up the good work. I see the 1/2 in your future! :cool1:

Lisa - You are doing great! Here are some :banana: :banana: :banana: for you!

After looking at my November calendar :scared1: :faint: DH and I decided to move our double LRs to this weekend instead of next. We did 10 today at around a 10:30 min pace. We keep it slow b/c of tomorrows 19+ miles. I hope we can complete this b/c I am going out of town tomorrow for the weekend with my drama group, just don't know what time. I am pleased b/c I have this cold/sinus thing going on! :sick: But the run was very therapeutic.

Later,
Christa

princessmomma
11-03-2005, 02:29 PM
Nancy, that is great! You will definitely be ready for 2007!! :flower:

Christa, good luck on your big miles tomorrow.

Heather, I hear you about those 10 pounds, I need to get down to business to drop mine too. I have been working so hard with the training aspect of this marathon, I just need to lay off the donuts and potato chips.

Alright, Wishers, here is my dilemma for my hotel, which option would you choose? First I am getting in late on Thursday and leaving Sunday at 4:00.

1. Swan for $159 marathon rate per night for Friday and Saturday night.

I would need to just get a Priceline hotel off site for the Thursday night because the rate at the Swan jumps to over $300 for that night, just can't pay that :earseek: . (Remember coming in late Thursday.)

Also, DH is a Westin Gold member which allows him early check-in (10 a.m.) and late check-out (4 p.m.) at the Swan, which means I would not have to pay for Sunday night.

Need to get up at 3:00 or earlier for bus.

Total cost: $400 + tax

2. Port Orleans Riverside for 4 nights Water View $155 per night

Total Cost $620 + tax

I don't need to switch hotels.

Need to pay for Sunday night even though we are leaving around 2:00 Sunday (showers are good before getting on an airplane!)

Can I walk to the start line from POR? If so, I can get 2 extra hours of sleep.

princessmomma
11-03-2005, 02:37 PM
I was just going to ask the question about late check-outs on the resort board and saw this thread.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=950260

If I can get a complimentary 1 p.m. check out or even pay 50% for the 1 p.m. to 3 p.m., I think that may sway my decision toward the POR.

I just have to be sure I can walk to the start line.

Lisa loves Pooh
11-03-2005, 02:44 PM
princessmomma--I ran into someone at POFQ last year after returning from the marathon. I would guess it was near 3pm. It seemed that Disney was very generous in honoring a late checkout for those participating in marathon weekend as checking out at 3am before the race isn't realistic--and tough to check out when your on property somewhere sweating bullets. :)

ETA: The couple seemed to indicate that they didn't pay for the extension.

Calcio
11-03-2005, 02:56 PM
Colleen

P.O. Riverside is right next to POFQ. Martha and I are walking to the start of the half on Saturday, I figure it's about 1.4 miles. We'll likely walk out of the lobby at 5:20 and be in the corrals easily by 5:45.

For Sunday, we'er both again walking to the start of the marathon, me to run, Martha to cheer me on (I've pointed out she should stay in bed, but she insists, lovely but crazy). It cannot be more than 600 yards from the lobby to the starting corrals, so I plan on leaving the lobby about 5:40.

No foolin' this is what we'll be doing on the race mornings.

Craig

Lisa loves Pooh
11-03-2005, 03:13 PM
So this is what my leg looked like post-op (classic--looks much worse than it is). I think they went overboard...but the idea was to keep the leg immobilized so that bleeding in the knee would stop and the holes would begin to heal and the knee recover from the initial trauma of being invaded.

Pic is prior to removal of dressing. I failed to get an after picture--before my knee swelled up like a balloon. No funny pics of me on crutches either.
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5cf22b3127cce955946c4a3e900000016108Ibs2jhozb4

Knee swelling photos--notice the flatness of the quad on my left leg compared to my right---when squeezed..the right gets more defined. My left leg just stays the way you see it. :rolleyes: . I know I'm looking for every nuance of healing--so I can tell the difference in the photos as the swelling reduces. But it is still obviously swollen compared to the right knee. They did look exactly the same (just a small bit of puffiness on the left) prior to surgery.

10/29/05:
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5cf22b3127cce9559470ee3bb00000016108Ibs2jhozb4

10/30/05:
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5cf22b3127cce95594427a30b00000016108Ibs2jhozb4

11/1/03--red from icing (yes I had my leg covered)
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5cf22b3127cce955943e5626200000016108Ibs2jhozb4

11/3/05--you can see my knee cap starting to reappear.
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5cf22b3127cce955940b9a39700000016108Ibs2jhozb4

And for good measure---my Halloween princesses :cloud9:
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5cf22b3127cce95594041a36f00000025118Ibs2jhozb4

princessmomma
11-03-2005, 04:03 PM
OMG Lisa,

I had no idea!!

Your knee....well ... it looks....like it could FART!! :rotfl:

princessmomma--I ran into someone at POFQ last year after returning from the marathon. I would guess it was near 3pm.

Wow, that is great Lisa, thanks for the info. I will definitely keep my POR reservation. I had checked yesterday and nothing was available, I called this morning just in case and I was surprised when she said had POR, so I booked it. This afternoon, I double checked to see if POFQ was available and again no moderates.

Thanks for the info Craig, I know I will love the extra 2 hours of sleep and DH and the kids should be able to get around pretty easily as well.

Colleen

disnutt
11-03-2005, 04:55 PM
I've got a couple of questions for the group.

The first concerns the info from the newsletter. If you sign up for the pace group will they have 2 groups now because of the 2 starting lines or do you think the starts are going to be determined by pace so therefore only one pace group will be needed?

My second question has to do with knee problems (Lisa, I hope you're recuperating well!) My knee is bothering me but it is on the back side of my leg. It feels like the tendon/ligament thing running on the inner back of my knee area is stiff and 'pulls' sometimes when I run. It doesn't hurt, yet. I can't find a reference on any website about what this problem may be caused by or what to do about it. Has anyone felt something like this?

plutosmyfav
11-03-2005, 04:59 PM
Wow, I got stuck in an all day meeting and look at all that's happened!!!! They split the race in two and MelR made ressies :rotfl:

Lisa-- Great pics! That's about what my legs looked like postop in July. The bandages really get you alot of sympathy :rotfl2: Looks like your healing great!

OK, red or blue? I can still walk from PORFQ on either team, right? Oh they just can't be introducing new variables this late in the season. I might just explode :earboy2:

And the talk of codes has me panicked, too. Usually I'm all over it, searching, researching to get the most magic for my buck. But this time all I can focus on is the race. I have PORFQ on an AAA discount (don't recall the rate), room only. It sounds like maybe I should look into the discounted magic your way packages :confused3 But 1/5-1/8 will be me, ds and dx, then 1/8-1/12 is just me and DS. Seems like the "per person" rates for the magic your way require 2 adults. Like Christa, I am phone-phobic and resist calling and asking a million questions at all costs. What to do.

Well the meeting ate up my gym time and I can't go after work. Grrrr. I'm not in a very good mood.

I'm taking 2 hours vaca tomorrow for my LR so I can run the 5K on Sunday. I'm planning on 18 miles (it will take more than the 2 hours of course). Knee feels pretty good today.

I agree with lynne, the explosion in injuries/aches and pains is a sure sign that the mileage is creeping up! We'll all make it though :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

I'm considering signing up for the 4:15 pace group. Anyone else?

Lynne-- I'm still hoping to run Boston someday, too. My hope is based soley on the fact that I am carrying around ~20 lbs of excess fat and if/WHEN I ever lose it I just might be able to qualify. At my age I know my performance alone won't increase that significantly with time. My qualifying time is 3:50 for the next 3 years.

Sunny

MelRhoads
11-03-2005, 05:33 PM
Helen - :love2: I LOVE YOU. You saved me over $100!!!!! (just enough for a new pair of shoes before the race) After I booked the trip w/ the travel agent, I got back online to read the boards. I got so focused on the red/blue start thing that I missed your post. Anyway, this morning, before my LR, I went back to read more thoroughly and found your post about the code!!!! Did I mention, I love you??? Anyway, after the run, I went to pay and brought up the code, she called disney and they moved me from POFQ to PO riverside. They upgraded my room, upgraded my tickets to include waterparks and it was over $100 cheaper. Also, because I was there, I was able to pay disney direct and that saved me from putting the trip on credit with finance charges if I didn't prepay for the whole thing in one month!!!!! :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

Thanks everyone for the character dining info! I'm going to have to read into it and pick the right one for the boy!

OK - now to training (I segued from the food discussion of course because I have burned over 2,500 calories in the last 18 - 20 hours.) Tues morn I did my 3 miles of speed work and then went mt. biking before lunch. Wed. evening, I ran 8 miles, while EC watched the boy (isn't she nice?) This morning we did 17 miles. My 8 mile pace was about 10:35 and our 17 pace was 10:57, which included a stop of at her house to drop of the dog, refill our water and pee!!. Our time without the stop was a little better. I think 10:46 which is pretty good for me. Anyway, I did feel pretty tired at the end of the 17 but it had not even been 24 since the 8, so I am pretty encouraged for goofy! Speaking of big dogs, I really run with one! ECs dog usually runs the first part of our LR. He did almost 10 miles today. He is about 90lbs! We feel so safe. He got thirsty at the end of the run and he wont drink from anyone's h2o bottle. I'm planning on buying him a collapseable water bowl to carry along. He's not my dog, but he is one of my training partners and I figure it is the least I can do. Don't worry about him today though, a semi ran EC and the big dog off into a ditch where the dog found a nice water hole. Noone was hurt thankfully. What a jerk driver!!

Jodi - you and your mom sound so funny! Sorry about her finger!

Coleen - Check out Helen's code YRE before you make reservations.

Lisa - You are incredible!!!!! Keep up the brave work!

Perfectmatch - That is so awesome when you have a mental training breakthrough! Good job!

Christa, Coleen, Sara, Craig - maybe if we all get different color starts, we can meet e/o at the big merge with signs like they use to pick people up from the airport!! :rotfl2:

Must go shower! Smell like a long run!!

chersheyb
11-03-2005, 07:34 PM
Hello Everyone I am back and determined!!

I have been reading the weekly posts every single day, however I have been reluctant to post. There has been many exciting things happening in my life as well asnot so good things.

My baby just turned 2 on Halloween, so last week was jammed with party planning and cooking etc. Then this week at work I had a run in with another colleague who really hurt my feelings! All and All I am feeling much better after my runs!!!

I am still nervous about doing the full-- but It is something I want to do..

Finally booked POP today with the code Great price -- I am going with 3 girls from work I am the only one running.

I hope to check in daily for suppor and encouragement (everyone here always says the right things)

Well time to help the Kindergartener with homework and shower to watch Alias (my secret obsession) Disney is my real obsession.

::MickeyMo

TiffJ
11-03-2005, 07:54 PM
Well I survived my first spinning class. It wasnt near as bad as I thought it would be. Although my privates would disagree :blush:

I have a questions for those of you who ride. Does your "you know" really get used to sitting on that seat? The instructor said it would but I find that hard to believe.

Nancy=great job on the pace! You will be cruisin' by 2007! :banana:

MelR-I'm proud you've made your reservations. Feels good doesn't it

Minnie-hope you are getting better so you can join us in January!! :wizard:

Lisa-eeeww! It does look like it could fart :rotfl:

Hope everyone continues to heal!!!

Calcio
11-03-2005, 07:54 PM
disnutt

In the back of your knee is the posterior cruciate ligament, one of 4 in the knee. You may be experiencing inflammation and pain in that ligament, or it could be the one in the middle of the knee, the anterior cruciate ligament.

Or, given the complexity of the knee, another ligament or tendon. Sorry I cannot be more helpful or precise, but don't think it's unlikely to have soreness there, it certainly can happen.

Good luck

Craig

MelRhoads
11-03-2005, 08:14 PM
Craig - When I was doing my LR today I thought about you and your post about questioning your sanity in regards to goofy. I remember that you said that you hit your target pace, but you felt like your legs were going to fall off. (I had the imagery of Forrest Gumps braces braking off and starting his long running career) Anyway, I thought about you because at about mile 10 I remembered that I had forgotten to eat gels as I had planned. I got back on the gel schedule, but i wondered about your 13 miles. Did you eat during that distance? If not, do you think it might have helped you sustain your energy? I always eat on longer runs, even during 1/2's. It may not make any difference for you. My EC didn't eat at all during the 17 miles!!!!!

TiffJ - I like to ride, but am no expert. Your you know gets used to it, but I still have pain with some of my rides. You might talk to your spin instructor about seat adjustment. You can also get the booty pad shorts. I would not ride w/o them. Terry (the brand) makes really cute riding skorts that are skirts with the riding short with pad underneath. I have two and wear them frequently. I have some very nice padded cannondale shorts that I wear for long rides. I wore them for the 100 mile ride. My you know hurt from about mile 25-50 and after that, I seemed to be fine. Good luck with spinning! Oh yeah, I also tilt the nose of my seat slightly down and sit with my sitting bones on either side of the back of the bike seat. You can buy a gel cover for your spin bike seat at wal-mart in the bike section, but I do not like to ride of soft seats because I feel that they cause me to make a lot more contact with the seat and a harder seat keeps more of my parts off the seat. That is all personal pref. and experimentation!!!!!

plutosmyfav
11-03-2005, 08:16 PM
Hey, where's Solo?????

Lisa loves Pooh
11-03-2005, 08:31 PM
And for those concerned--the knee hasn't farted since the first day. I suspect--that was like a ballon--deflating...in anticipation of the knee swelling.

Tiger Lily 03
11-03-2005, 08:46 PM
Lisa, :hug: ouch! the pics really are amazing to see the recovery process. I didn't realize you were going through all that. I thought it was less invasive looking.

Nancy, it is great news you are offering. I am so happy to hear of your progress. You seem to have a great plan working for you. Of course having trained in your swimming events makes you know what you need to do to work at something.

MelR congrats on taking that big dog step! You did it!

TiffJ
11-03-2005, 08:51 PM
Thanks MelR-I already have my eye on those wonderful padded shorts. I will try some different things. I am excited to get into cycling. I can't wait to actually get me a bike & hit the road.

littlegreydonkey
11-03-2005, 10:52 PM
Ahh, MelR, I feel special, glad it helped.

And Craig thank you for the red blue descriptions, I got all sad thinking that I'd miss out on something in Epcot if I got the wrong one but now I'm not so worried.

I'm going away this weekend so had to fit my long run in today - technically I was supposed to do 16 miles, but as the running guru here said 'ah these things are meant to be fiddled with' so I knocked it down to 12 and I'll do 16, then 18 in the next two weeks (I've had three 'resty' weeks with not so long runs and a 15-16 miler before them so not worried about doubling up). It was a toughie though (not quite stonkerish), had to walk a lot of it - but then I worked out I'd run 45 miles this week which I think is one more than we run on our hardest week so that might explain things!!!! I need to practise my walking speed anyway as I'm pretty sure I'll walk at least 2 miles on the big day (I'm thinking 20-22 sound good!). Anyway, off to the airport in half an hour and haven't packed yet so better go - yes, Chimera-Mel, I'm on a plane again, I told you it wasn't worth me adopting you!!! Helen

Lisa loves Pooh
11-03-2005, 10:57 PM
Thanks MelR-I already have my eye on those wonderful padded shorts. I will try some different things. I am excited to get into cycling. I can't wait to actually get me a bike & hit the road.

what's this I hear about padded shorts???? :listen:

Do they help make your tush not hurt on the bike?

TEK224
11-03-2005, 11:04 PM
I missed a few days and there's over 140 posts in this thread :earseek:

Took me an hour to read through everything.

I'm getting as nervous as many of you. I stopped questioning my sanity about Goofy-ing these events a long time ago. There's no question. I must be :crazy:

Lisa - the pix of you knee brought back unpleasant memories. I had my knee scoped about 15 years ago. Took out the meniscus in my right knee. Haven't had any problems since with that leg. It's the left leg that's the problem now. But I remeber those swollen knee days.

Although my quad is getting better, it's taking forever. I'm not very patient, especially with less than 10 weeks to go. I've given it almost three weeks of non-impact rest (doing mostly exercise bike and elliptical). It's not really a sharp pain, more of a dull, annoying pain. I'm pretty sure I injured it on a downhill slope. Not trying to go too fast, but trying to slow down so I didn't go head first down the hill.

I'm going to test it out on Saturday. I'm planning a wog around a trail that is 8.4 miles. Hopefully this will give me a hint of my time for the longer distances. I'll know how much more work I need to do to stay in front of the sweepers. My goal for both races is to finish. Since I've never done either distance before (10 miles was my longest), whatever time I get will be a PR.

Good luck to everyone who's trying to recuperate or work through injuries :grouphug:

Terri

MelRhoads
11-03-2005, 11:05 PM
Lisa - The padded shorts do help your booty not hurt on the bike, but..... They make you butt look bigger too!!!!! Oh the price we pay for comfort.

The terry skorts hide the shorts and pad. I think they are the way to go. The only drawback is they look kindof girly for the mt. biking trails and they look funny with the cycling shoes.

Lisa loves Pooh
11-03-2005, 11:12 PM
Lisa - The padded shorts do help your booty not hurt on the bike, but..... They make you butt look bigger too!!!!! Oh the price we pay for comfort.

Indoor bike--so know worries on who's gonna see baby got back. :rotfl2:

Lisa - the pix of you knee brought back unpleasant memories. I had my knee scoped about 15 years ago. Took out the meniscus in my right knee. Haven't had any problems since with that leg. It's the left leg that's the problem now. But I remeber those swollen knee days.

Do you recall how long that lasted? And when your quad--started looking like..a muscle...again? I can feel the "burn" from the exercises as the muscle rebuilds--and I would kill to be able to stretch the quad. I don't bend far enough just yet to get a good stretch. Heck--I can barely get into the position to even attempt a stretch.

I have to say I am amazed and astonished that the little buggar pain on the tibia is gone to never come back. :banana: That is tooo cool :).

Call me crazy--I'm hopin' for later to have a meniscus issue with the right leg too. I had a Plica which the doc kindly removed as "preventive orhtopedics". So I most likely have one in the right knee. They don't do surgeries just to remove it unless it is a problem. And when it is a problem...it's a doozy. :earseek: . Basically, the sucker just grows and grows and grows. One girl in therapy yesterday--her plica had already dented her bone and she was told if she didn't have surgery--in 10-20 years...she wouln't be walking. :scared1: .

wtpclc
11-04-2005, 08:31 AM
Nancy - Woo hoo on that pace!! 2007 marathoners had better watch out! (FYI, progress is just as exciting for everyone! Don't get diwn on yourself ofr not being fastest!)

Lisa - Nice legs! ;) Yikes, does not look like fun, though!

Yes, solo should be doing his 14 today. Where are you solo???

OK. I spent my 45 min at Curves last night. I did some light jogging in place on teh pads and my hip felt ok. Still feels good this morning. Oh, I hope this is a good sign for tomorrow.

keenercam
11-04-2005, 08:59 AM
Lisa -- OUCH!! Well, I am sooo glad you are recovering so well!

Tiff -- Great job on the spinning class. I experience the "ouch" factor on the recumbent or stationary bike, too, so I can't imagine what it would be like in a spinning class.

Well, I am glad to report I was able to do my 40 minutes last night and then 4 sets of stride/speed drills. My knee was so odd yesterday -- it kept clicking and rubbing and it felt like it had to "crack" like a knuckle -- I think someone else described this sensation a couple of weeks ago. I think wearing heels all day yesterday did not help. Most of the first mile was painful last night and I kept thinking "I cannot do this. What if my legs feel like this on 1/7?" And once again I reminded myself of all you have taught me and the encouragement and just figured I'd push on, even if my pace wasn't great. Lily's "You have to put in the steps" became my mantra. :teeth: Thanks Lily! :banana:

I am still astonished at the concept that the human body can feel so different from one day to the next or even one hour to the next. My legs literally felt like lead and I had no energy at all whatsoever. My time ended up being 52:04 for 3.24 miles (16:04 pace), so it is good to know I can pull that off even when I am at what felt like my "worst".

I am now convinced that I have to be more proactive about fueling my body. Get back to taking my vitamins every day (they got packed when my office was being painted/carpeted, and I haven't put them back on my desk yet) and eat something energizing before I leave my office to go work out.

Tonight is xt (probably elliptical) and my LW of 6 miles will be Sunday instead of tomorrow, I think, due to time issues.

Hope everyone else is having the gorgeous mild weather we are having here, and that it makes your training so much more pleasant! :sunny: I am really excited thinking about the fact that 3 weeks from now my walks and LW will be at Disney's Hilton Head resort. WOOHOO!!!!!

solotraveler
11-04-2005, 10:25 AM
Hey, where's Solo?????

Oh you know us parties of one... hiding in the back of the room as usual ;) Actually, my delacate work/school/training balancing act has been very unbalanced this week so I have been neglecting my posting duties. :guilty:

Anyhow, it sound like most people are moving along really well. Hmm... maybe hobbling along is more apt for our group. :) I'm starting to feel guilty for running fairly injury-free at this point other than the usual aches and pains. It does sound like everyone is doing what they need to in order to get healthy again-- so Great job everyone!!

In spite of a crazy schedule, I did manage to get all of my short runs in: Sunday was a 45 minute (4/1) and did 5.06 miles for a pace of 8:54/mile.
Monday was a 40 minute (3/1), which I did on the indoor track at the gym, so I don't have distance or pace, but it felt fine, if not endless.
Wednesday was another 45 minute (4/1) and managed 4.88 miles for a pace of 9:12/mile.
All in all, very happy with things. It seems I am settling in nicely right around 9:00 miles now that I am really watching my running pace.

This morning was supposed to be my 14 miler. I was very excited about it. I passed on going out with friends last night in order to get to bed right on time. I set all my running clothes out-- even my gels and shoes-- all ready to go. I set my alarm. With the exception of a very fussy Newfie :dog2: for about an hour, I slept OK. Sadly, I was awoken not by my alarm, but instead by my roomate at 8am: "Hey, didn't you have to run this morning." I set my alarm for 5:15pm instead of 5:15am. Drat. I guess that means I get to run my 14 miler before going to work bright and early tomorrow morning. :guilty: Sigh.....

Carrie- Sorry I can't provide my usual pre-long run inspiration this week. I would try to get it in this afternoon, but I am swamped at work. Something about a dratted Husky invasion....

Lisa- Eeeeeewwwwwwwwwwww to those pics.I won't ever complain about tendonitis again.

I still want my race packet!!!! It startling to realize that I leave for the world in 61 days and the race is 65 days from today (or so). Really exciting and really scary at the same time.

Well, I better dash...
Happy training all!
Solotraveler :earsboy:

wtpclc
11-04-2005, 10:45 AM
Something about a dratted Husky invasion....
Mush you's Huskies! Oh, I mean darn Huskies! (Sorry, my gold and black blood showign through.) Forgot that was this weekend. Should have put it on my plans to cheer for my team and have a mini WISH meet. A very rare weekend home, though, so I've made no plans, but run tomorrow. Good luck on your run. COngrarts on being injury free! No need for guilt!

TEK224
11-04-2005, 10:49 AM
Lisa - It's been awhile. If I remember correctly, I was on crutches for about 4 days, then I was allowed to do light walking and the ortho gave me several exercises to do at home. I didn't have any PT, just the exercises. I wasn't allowed any hard activity for about a month. But then I was fine.

I can't really answer about the "defined" quad issue. I don't think I've ever had a sculpted quad :teeth:

But other than getting some fluid on the knee every now and then, and the achy-ness of arthritis, it hasn't given me any major troubles. The one warning the doc gave me was that I'd probably get arthritis in the knee earlier than most people because of the meniscus being removed. The doc was going to try to reattach it, but said the meniscus was too frayed to do so. It was either remove it or use a synthetic to take its place, which would've had me in an immobilizer for 8 months. :rolleyes: Nope - just take it out!

technology has come so far from back then. Hopefully you'll be up soon and better than ever! :)

Terri

crzy4pooh
11-04-2005, 11:22 AM
Morning all! :wave2: Just checking in - did 4 miles yesterday. Today my legs just feel tired - not sore, but tired, so will do a light walk this afternoon. Tomorrow AM is my 14 mile LR, and DH's 20 mile LR. :scared1: I'm about to enter unknown territory - the farthest I've ever been was the half last year. I would be thrilled with 14 - 14:30 pace. We'll see... ;)

Hope everyone has a great training day and :wizard: for the LR's this weekend!!!

chimera
11-04-2005, 01:22 PM
STONKER!!!STONKER!!!STONKER!!!STONKER!!!STONKER!!!

So I've been struggling with the W3/R2 deal for about a month now. Wed night was better...I thought maybe it was starting to come together. Today was awful! I did 5 miles today out of sheer stubbornness. I hadn't shorted a run yet, but today I skipped one running interval entirely and shorted 2 others. And I think I met my IC. Probably wouldn't have finished without her 'cause I sure wanted to turn around after the first mile.
All whining aside, my pace was excellent for me! Avg was 13:56, splits are:

Mile 1 14:08
Mile 2 13:28
Mile 3 13:43
Mile 4 13:50
Mile 5 14:36 (this is where I skipped an interval)

Am I too inconsistent...or maybe trying to go too fast?

Lily...congrats on your moderation! :bounce: You have so many titles now...moderator, dog catcher :paw:

Lisa...all I can say is owie! :wizard: for fast healing.

Solo...sorry about the alarm thing...that's my nightmare for the half :)

Susan...great to see you back! :wave2:

Lynnda...good luck with your LR tomorrow!

Cam...I think you've been reading my mind. I have been fueling on Halloween candy this week, so maybe that's where my issues are coming from. HHI sounds great...be sure to give us a trip report!

Helen...maybe you can adopt me after you write your marathon training book. I think I'll especially like the chapter about stonkers and how to treat them...go back to bed and eat chocolate!

Carrie...are these Washington huskies or connecticut? Or I'm totally off the mark? Good luck with the hip and the LR tomorrow.

Tiff...I can't do those skinny little bike seats very well. I have too much real estate hanging over each side. I have gone to WalMart and gotten the larger...ummm...elderly people's tricycle seat and attached it to a previous mountain bike I had. They do have those gushy gel coverings for the skinny seats, too.

Good news is that my schedule has changed and I don't work at all on Fri now. Of course, I've lengthened Tues and Thurs to make up for it, but I think I'll like this better overall. We're going to WDW for a weekender at SSR tonight. Supposed to be meeting BIL and SIL, but BIL was in the hospital for diverticulitis last week. He wanted to come anyway and relax after his experience, but called last night and said SIL had been admitted to Celebration Health for chest pain, vomiting. She was in a conference at CSR and started not feeling too good. She's too be released today...current theory is gallstones. I'm not sure they'll want to hang around much after that.

TTFN! :wizard: for aches, pains and stonkers!

solotraveler
11-04-2005, 02:10 PM
STONKER!!!STONKER!!!STONKER!!!STONKER!!!STONKER!!!

So I've been struggling with the W3/R2 deal for about a month now. Wed night was better...I thought maybe it was starting to come together. Today was awful! I did 5 miles today out of sheer stubbornness. I hadn't shorted a run yet, but today I skipped one running interval entirely and shorted 2 others. And I think I met my IC. Probably wouldn't have finished without her 'cause I sure wanted to turn around after the first mile.
All whining aside, my pace was excellent for me! Avg was 13:56, splits are:

Mile 1 14:08
Mile 2 13:28
Mile 3 13:43
Mile 4 13:50
Mile 5 14:36 (this is where I skipped an interval)

Am I too inconsistent...or maybe trying to go too fast?

Sounds like a really good 5-miler, in spite of the pain. :)

I don't think you are inconsistant at all. If you put that interval back in to your fifth mile, I am guessing that all of your miles would generally be somewhere between 13:30 and 14:00. That's a WHOLE lot more consistant than I am!!!!! If you were all over the chart-- say a mile at 11:30, then one at 14:30, then one at 12:20-- then I'd be a little more concerned. But it sounds like you are doing great.

Oh, and as for alarms... two plus a wake-up call on race day. Seriously. :teeth:

Have fun this weekend!

TXBelle
11-04-2005, 02:40 PM
I did 60 minutes outside last night around the neighborhood. I ran most of the time, and I am very pleased with how my running is coming along. I have pain in my right hip today. I do not know whether it is from my sudden increase in running vs. walking or if it is from my new ASICS. I plan to wear my Mizuno Wave Riders on my 8 mile LR tomorrow and see if that makes a difference.

wtpclc
11-04-2005, 02:43 PM
Mel - I would trying slowing down the first mile or 2. Oh, and it's Michigan Tech Huskies. :teeth:

ETA: If you beat the sweepers and had a great pace on teh stonker, was it really such a stonker. ;) You could have qualified for the Boston if you felt good!

Newsflash!!! DH came home from his run last night and told me I had to get running again soon. He astarts too fast and burns himself out. Nice to know I'm good for something, even if it's the old ball and chain. :teeth: Hope he'll remeber this when I'm going a turtle's pace tomorrow. I do not want to push too hard first time out!

plutosmyfav
11-04-2005, 03:17 PM
Cam-- I've had so many of those "what if I feel like this on race day" thoughts, too. I guess that is a big part of the whole training. We're training the mind as much as the body. Great job, despite the knee clicks!

Solo-- sorry to hear you're so busy, but great to see your still moving and moving fast! :moped:

Chimera-- Oh I'm so glad you have an IC, too! We can complain about them when they aren't listening :rotfl: But I agree with Solo, doesn't look like a Stonker on paper! Great job.

Heather-- definitely try the other shoes. Hope the pain is gone :wizard:

I took a half day today to do my LR. I did 19 miles in 3:19:23 (10:30). I learned two things:

1) The same thing I keep learning and forgetting: slowing the pace takes the pain and discomfort out of the LR. I seriously could have done a couple more today whereas last weeks 14 miler had me beat up by mile 8. Sure hope I catch on to this lesson soon. I haven't uploaded my Garmin yet but I know I started out with 11:20 and 10:50 for my first two miles. It made all the difference in the world. I didn't feel my first pangs of fatigue until mile 13. I didn't even need the IC for a 19 miler!

2) I started out with an odd pain in my right ankle, outer shin area (not shin splint). I though just as Cam "what if this happens on race day?" cause I knew I couldn't go too far with it. But then I remembered I used to get the same pain when my rollerblades were too tight. So I stopped and adjusted my laces and sure enough the pain went away. I also shifted my fanny pack which helped. So lesson #2: experiencing odd pain migh mean equipment needs realignment!

I rushed to the gym to shower and then to the office (arriving 40 minutes later than I said I would). I had 10 minutes before a meeting so I ran to the caf grabbed some ice and proceeded to elevate my leg and ice my knee for a few mintues before the meeting. A colleague walked in and said, "Oh no, what happened?" I tried to quickly explain that it was nothing, just a precaution, but she went and got the other meeting participants and brought the meeting to my office so I could ice my knee :blush: I felt very silly, but very grateful I got my icing in! :p

So tomorrow is serious rest and then I have a 5K on Sunday. Woo Hoo. Knee is feeling splendid :goodvibes

Sunny

wtpclc
11-04-2005, 03:43 PM
I know we're supposed ot be prepared for the worst come race day. I keep thinking tha tmy legs will be so happy from the taper, though, that I'll feel like amillion buck! (It still helps to knwo what you can run throuhg, though)

Have great weekends and great LRs/LWs everyone. Good luck with your 5 K Sunny and all other who are racing this weekend!!

TEK224
11-04-2005, 03:48 PM
Sunny - I had a good chuckle thinking about you sitting with your leg on the desk and ice on top :rotfl: I do that sometimes at my office and always wondered what people would think if they walked in and saw me.

Good luck to everyone who's racing this weekend. I'll be out for a long, slow wog tomorrow morning. Luckily, the weather has been gorgeous this week.

Terri

princessmomma
11-04-2005, 04:49 PM
I plan to wear my Mizuno Wave Riders on my 8 mile LR tomorrow and see if that makes a difference.

Good luck on your 8 miler tomorrow Heather. I wear Wave Riders as well. I like them, but I am thinking about putting in a pair of insoles and see what happens.

Sunny good job on that 19 miler today... I appreciated your lessons learned. I too believe in a slow start, sometimes easier said than done.

I ran a 16 miler today in 2:44:10 :banana: :teeth: (a 10:14 minute mile). I am very happy with this. I too started out slower, around 10:30 and 10:45 for the first two miles. What I was most happy with was my second 8 miles were faster than my first! This is the first time EVER for that! There is a name for that...can't recall it. I am pretty sore right now and had an ice bath after and icing now, had to fathom in 67 days another 10 miles on top of that!! :scared1:

Have great LR's everyone!!
Colleen

plutosmyfav
11-04-2005, 04:51 PM
What I was most happy with was my second 8 miles were faster than my first! This is the first time EVER for that! There is a name for that...can't recall it.
Colleen

Negative Splits :) Great job!! :cheer2:

Lisa loves Pooh
11-04-2005, 07:10 PM
Lisa - It's been awhile. If I remember correctly, I was on crutches for about 4 days, then I was allowed to do light walking and the ortho gave me several exercises to do at home. I didn't have any PT, just the exercises. I wasn't allowed any hard activity for about a month. But then I was fine.

I can't really answer about the "defined" quad issue. I don't think I've ever had a sculpted quad :teeth:

But other than getting some fluid on the knee every now and then, and the achy-ness of arthritis, it hasn't given me any major troubles. The one warning the doc gave me was that I'd probably get arthritis in the knee earlier than most people because of the meniscus being removed. The doc was going to try to reattach it, but said the meniscus was too frayed to do so. It was either remove it or use a synthetic to take its place, which would've had me in an immobilizer for 8 months. :rolleyes: Nope - just take it out!

technology has come so far from back then. Hopefully you'll be up soon and better than ever! :)

Terri

He only removed half of my meniscus..said plenty was left and no worries. The quads are only defined when training (and contracted :teeth: ). I did ask on runner's world and was told that the VMO (don't know what it stands for--but it's part of the quads) is finicky and that with trauma it will just do that.

Sorry to gross everyone with the knee pics. I thougth I was looking good. :guilty:

Tiger Lily 03
11-04-2005, 09:55 PM
Lisa, don't feel bad about us commenting on your knee. I don't think we were exactly grossed out. Just mostly not realizing your troubles. You hang in there and heal well and quickly.

My last pair of shoes were Wave Runners. I liked them. I have Saucony somethings or other now. I like these new ones too. I always use the inserts as recommended by my Podiatrist and have added some extra heel cushion. Seems to be doing the trick for me. We'll see as I am on a 14-miler Sunday.

Craig, I want to add thanks for that positive description of red and blue course. I too won't feel bad about whatever I draw as the path either.

Mel, it sounds like you are making great progress. Your pace might actually put you ahead of me now.

I love the Terry skorts! I don't own one, but I have actually thought I might like to. They do look so cute. Also have the bike shorts. I don't know if they help that much or not. Riding on a 2 x 4 is still difficult, but I think I manage with my seat set the way I like it now ok. It always takes some time adjusting for the first few times. Then soreness goes and the rides become most enjoyable. (Keep in mind though that I am not a commando rider.)

It is getting exciting as we are in the last couple months of our journey. I used phone alarm and table alarm. I also got out at the early time b/c as I said b4 I don't mind and I want to enjoy and experience as much of the event as I can.

Thanks for the congrats on the moderator thing. We're looking forward to trying out a couple of new ideas and "freshening up our place a bit." I hope I can be of service to all of us WISHers.

Have great LR's, LW's or whatever is on your training weekend.

perfectmatch300
11-05-2005, 01:24 AM
Thanks, everybody, for your encouragement! Now that I have come close to the 16 min "barrier" I hope I can keep it up! I haven't done speed work again, Thurs was a long walk with DH & friends and today was xtrain so it will be interesting to see what my next speed workout brings.

solotraveler
11-05-2005, 10:44 AM
Hi everyone!!

Just a quick check-in here from work. I did my 14 miler this morning. It was one of those runs where you feel like you are right on pace, you really want to be on pace but you are in fact, not on pace at all. And nothing you can do to will your sad sack of a body to get back close to pace.

But I finished it!!!! :banana: :banana: I didn't want to, but I did!! (Seriously, I was about ready to quit after the first three miles or so...)

Anyhow, I did 14 miles in 2:19:13, which is about 9:57/mile pace. I am sure I negative split the back half because I really, REALLY had to focus in order to try and get my overall pace under 10:00/mile.

But hey, I ran the equivalent of a half-marathon this morning! :banana: And then a little more! :banana:

All that said, I am SO looking forward to a cutback week next week :teeth:

Happy training!

Lisa loves Pooh
11-05-2005, 11:05 AM
WTG Solo!

I went to training this morning and.....

watched :guilty: .

Very depressing when on the outside I was: :cheer2: and on the inside I was :sad: . And the icing on the cake. I don't hurt--I just don't have ability. I brought the girls and was going to walk (no speed) this a.m. and let my oldest do her practice running. I coudln't keep up. :confused3 . Stupid Quad.

I am considering joining a gym to get access to an elliptical. I joined the gym program at therapy so that I'd have access to the therapist kind of being my Personal Trainer also. My coach suggested that as soon as I can get on one to do the elliptical. Did you know I hate those machines? :teeth:

TEK224
11-05-2005, 11:24 AM
Great job Solo!

Lisa - bummer. I know what you mean about the machines. I actually like the elliptical and the bike, but HATE the treadmill. I do it when I absolutely have to, but usually try to avoid it.

It's weird with these quad problems. I find them very annoying. I almost feel like a wimp, thinking I should push through the pain, since I can walk okay and do the machines ok. It's just the actual running that makes it hurt. Then this week I'm reading the newspaper and hearing sportscasts of a bunch of FB and BB players who won't be playing this week because of quad injuries (bruises, strains, etc.) At least I don't feel as though I'm being a big baby anymore.

Today, I decided to test out the quad after 3 weeks of no running. I had planned an 8.4 mile loop around the river here. But this morning I got a little nervous thinking if I had a problem on the far side, it would be a long way back to my car. So I did an out and back instead. Just stayed on the path on one side of the river. So I only did 5.5 miles. But I am happy with that today :goodvibes Especially since its been awhile. I averaged 13:50 per mile. (under the sweeper :cool1: )

The leg is sore, but I think just a tired kind of sore, no worse than it has been. I strectched and iced it down after I got home. If it feels okay the rest of the day, then tomorrow morning I'll give the whole loop a try.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Hang in there Lisa! :grouphug:

Terri

Lisa loves Pooh
11-05-2005, 12:23 PM
Terri--did you injure your quad? Or does it just not like building up?

My ownly problem with the quad is weakness do to surgery--nothing hurts..but sometimes when I walk--if it is for too long--you can start to feel a slight drag as it decides it is tired. :(

That's okay--today's going to be a big strenght week--I just KNOW it. :) (at least that is what I tell myself).

It's funny--everyone at training was like--does it hurt. No it feels GREAT. Just swollen...a bit of limitation on range of motion..and weakness. But no pain. It's an awesome feeling to be pain free. :)

plutosmyfav
11-05-2005, 12:51 PM
Lisa :grouphug: I can imagine how hard being there and not training was. I would highly recommend joining a gym and using the elliptical and the rower if possible. I hate those machines, too. But getting in a good cardio can make you feel so much better while your recoop. I'm sure you'll get your quad strength back quickly, but I know how hard it is to wait. My first run post-op was terrible because my quads ached and were so tight and weak. But it didn't last long.

Well today is a rest day. My alarm went off for my LR and I almost got up to run even though I ran yesterday! I have the most organized house now. I don't know what to do with all the extra time! I did TaeBo and some punching bag and upper body weights. But mostly, I'm resting my legs :teeth:

Solo, Great run despite the off pace feeling! What is your race pace? We might be able to run together.

Sunny

TEK224
11-05-2005, 01:11 PM
Lisa - I strained (I think) my quad about4-5 weeks ago on a training wog. I'm pretty sure I did it trying to control myself going downhill. I kept picking up speed and was afraid I'd fall (it was pretty steep. Dumb move on my part even going down it. But I had to detour off my normal route and just forgot how steep it was). Ever since then, it has been a bother. Doc also said it was probably a strain. Gave me motrin and told me to ice and stretch. Also told me I could get in a lot of training time on the ellptical and stairmaster to save the pounding on my leg.

My plan is to use the machines during the week and go out on the paths on the weekend. That way it's only two days of pounding. Hoping that works!

Terri

Lisa loves Pooh
11-05-2005, 01:48 PM
Wow terri--sorry to hear that.

xterratri
11-05-2005, 02:23 PM
Animal alert, animal alert: I almost stepped on another darned snake. I was about 12.75 miles into the run and there I see a garter snake about 2 feet long slithering across the road in front of me. I'm not fond of snakes and have actually stepped on one in the past while trail running. We've had a couple frosts but apparently not a hard enough freeze yet.

Lisa- you made me pull out my anatomy atlas. VMO- vastus medialis, which I knew but couldn't figure out where the O came from. Still don't know. The quadriceps are made up of: rectus femoris(tendon connects to patella), vastus lateralis, vastus intermedius, and vastus medialis. The vastus medialis is considered "the watchdog of the knee" and is very important for patellar tracking. Your PT should have you doing isometrics(simply contracting it and holding) for strengthening it. Your pictures actually didn't look too bad. You at least don't have a bunch of bruising and the swelling is coming down nicely. Some perspective on my opinion though- a. I've had 3 major knee surgeries with both scope holes and open incisions and b. orthopedics is one of my top 2 career choices so a few pictures better not scare me off. BTW, I prefer the elliptical to the treadmill as I can do an hour on the elliptical but my mental limit on a treadmill running is about 30 minutes. I could walk til the cows came home but that's generally not the point of the workout.

14 mile long run today. Actually did 14.7 with .35 during walk breaks and then another .35 walking to get back to my house. The first 10+ felt great, wasn't tired at all, but the last 3, oh boy. Still I was at the 12 mile point 3 minutes faster than when I did the 12 miler 2 weeks ago and averaged 6 seconds per mile faster for 14 than I did for 12. The 16, 18, and 20 milers are going to be challenging but I know that I'll be better prepared for this marathon. I'm hoping to run it in about 4 hours so just a little slower than Sunny and Solo, I think. What's your goal pace going to be, Colleen?

Perfectmatch(nancy, is it???)- congrats on your pace. You are on track for success in 2007. Have you considered doing the 15 k in May to give yourself an interim goal in distance and for motivation during the year?

Solo- congrats on pushing yourself through even when it felt bad. It will make race day feel all the easier.

Craig- I have absolutely no clue how you manage to do longer runs on an indoor track. Nathalie didn't want to run outside Thurs night since it was already pitch dark when we got out of class at 5 pm so we went to track on the second floor around the school gym. It's 10 laps to the mile on the outside. I know that we ran about 30 minutes(should have done 45 but we had more academic commitments) but have no clue how many laps we did. We had both lost count by the time that we were in the 4-5 lap range. We switched directions every 10 minutes and it did go reasonably quickly because we always talk, talk, talk when running. The crazy thing is that I actually do reasonably well keeping count in the pool but running...

Continuing PD :wizard: for the injuries and good luck to the people yet to do their workouts this weekend.

crzy4pooh
11-05-2005, 02:48 PM
I finished my 14 mile LR this morning without getting swept!!! :cool1: And even better - NO TUMMY TROUBLES!!!!! ;) Thank you all so much for the advice on that!!! Of course, I did a very stupid thing - last night we went out to dinner and I drank a ton of iced tea. So, this morning all was going well - a little off pace at the beginning (was hoping for 13:30 - 14:00), but felt good through mile 6. All of a sudden, I felt like I just could not cool off, and I couldn't get my heart rate down during the walk intervals. And then I realized - I'm not sweating!!!! This is NOT a good feeling. My skin was completely dry and salty, and I felt like I had run into a brick wall. I started chugging Powerade, and went to strictly walking. I did get my walking pace a bit faster, but my heart rate was definitely higher than I wanted it. At the end of 14 miles, I had had 5 powerades and a powergel, and was feeling a little better. So the lesson learned for today - no more tea until after the marathon for me! :sad1: I love iced tea!!! Oh well, I finished right at 15:00 pace, which included 8 miles of walking. I'm okay with that, but hoping for a better LR in a couple weeks! :blush:

DH did awesome - he did 21 miles this morning at something like 12:00 pace. Woo-Hooooo!!!! :banana: He ran 10 miles, then came by the house to pick up me and DS. He then ran with the stroller the rest of the way. :love2:

I do have a question for you all. I tried to get another pair of my favorite shoes for the marathon, but my running store said they are backordered with no anticipated date. I haven't found anyone in the area that has them in stock. Do you all know of any sites I can order Brooks shoes??? I have 2 other models, and one would be okay for long runs, but I really love my Brooks Radius!!! Mine will not last through another long run, though. Any ideas?

Lisa loves Pooh
11-05-2005, 03:00 PM
Thanks xterratri for that detailed info. Didn't know what a VMO was specifically--but had heard the letters before. And isometrics is what we are doing! In fact I still have to do them today.

crzy4pooh--how scary! I bet it was the caffeine in the tea. WTG on monitoring yourself though :).

TiffJ
11-05-2005, 03:16 PM
crzy4pooh- try www.zappos.com they have tons of shoes & usually offer free shipping. They are also great about returns incase you decide to send them back for any reason at all.

xterratri
11-05-2005, 04:42 PM
crzy4pooh- I too have Brooks problems so I've been looking on the web. I've ordered from road runner sports before but there are a few other sites with better prices. However, I need the aa width and many sites only have the medium(b) width. My problem is that Brooks switched from the Adrenaline GTS 5 to the GTS 6 and the 6 is stiffer. I'm also leary about switching styles prior to the marathon as I've been doing well in these with minimal aches and pains(knock on wood) even as the mileage has went up. I do definitely need a new pair prior to the marathon though(actually will need them by the end of the month). CONGRATs on your 14 mile LR today!!!

How often are people swapping out shoes? I've been doing it about every 300 miles even though some things I've read say you can go up to 500. With my past knee problems, I'd rather spend the money on shoes than doctor's visits and PT so I'm probably being a little conservative.

Lisa loves Pooh
11-05-2005, 04:47 PM
I have heard what you heard--about 300...or even a shelf life consideration. I don't haev 300 on my shoe...but I will get a new pair...just b/c the shock absorption will go.

So not sure if that is conservative--I think that is about average.

Calcio
11-05-2005, 06:03 PM
Lynne

Unfortunately my running watch, Nike Triax, does not have a counter. I guess some of them do, but I didn't get one with it.

I instead use the stopwatch function. Our indoor track is 8 laps to the mile, and every lap I start the watch, run 3 seconds, then stop it. This gives me 20 laps, or 2.5 miles per minute on the watch. The funny thing is I do not use another watch keeping the time when I do this, and this seems to help a lot with long runs. Mentally I psyche up for say 88 laps, and pay not attention to how lond it takes. I concentrate on an easy enough pace to make the desired number of laps.

Luckily the weather here is holding very nice. I've only had to use it twice this fall, both due to monsoons. I'm sure in December it will be the treadmill or the indoor track, and I'd rather use the track any day.

Craig

NYcpa
11-05-2005, 08:03 PM
After being lazy for the last 2 days, I did my 3 mile walk today. I went do to a park that has a paved recreation trail with markers for each mile. A local running club has it marked out for a certifed 5K distance.

My pace seemed slow as this is the first LW I have done on pavement. I ended up doing 3.57 mi including warm up and cool down.

Warm up (.27) - 17.35
Going out (1.5) - 15.31
Coming back (1.53) - 15.53
Cool down (.26) - 16.10

I can't figure out why the distance out was further than the distance back unless it was for the turn around. After looking at my pace, I wasn't walking as solw as I thought. :rolleyes:

I will try to stick with the training schedule better next week but work seems to be getting in the way of exercise especially when you throw in PT 3 days per week for 1.5 hours each time. I have full motion back in the shoulder, I just have to get some strength back.

crzy4pooh
11-05-2005, 09:27 PM
TiffJ - thanks so much for that website - they have my shoes in stock!!! :cool1: Yea!!! I'm going to check around, but will order them this week! Thanks again!!!

xterratri - I need the radius in medium width, so they shouldn't be too hard to find. I tried the Illusion 2 and Glycerin 4, but they just aren't as comfy. I did find the radius on the zappos site - did you say you had other sites that may be less expensive? DH uses the adrenaline and just switched from the 5 to the 6. He said he hasn't noticed much of a difference in the men's shoe. Congrats on your 14 miler today, too!!! ;) As for shoe swapping, we were told every 300 miles or every 4-6 months if you had lower mileage.

:wizard: Happy training all!!!

perfectmatch300
11-05-2005, 09:30 PM
Lisa, I know exactly how you feel about going to training and watching! That's how I feel about watching all of you getting ready for the 2006 WDW events while here I am targeting 2007 - and that after watching the group who ran 2005 get ready for that and hoping I'd be ready for 2006! I only hpoe it doesn't take me as long to get another minute off my mile time as it has to get me to where I am now because at that rate I'll be looking at 2010 instead of 2007!

Lynn, I am thinking about the Minnie very seriously. What is scaring me off so far is the 15 min mile pace. I am just not there yet for even one mile, never mind 15K. They even have a 15 min mile pace for the 5K and 1 mile fun run. I'm going to see how I do over the next few weeks. Actually I will probably wait until after our trip to CT over Thanksgiving for DSd"s wedding since on our last trip back my training did not go very well at all. Once I get back home, I'll see how I am doing and if I think I can come even close to the pace I'll siugn up. I know that the real victory is in getting to the starting line, and I WILL get there eventually, but for me I feel that being swept would really break my spirit and end my desire to improve my pace. I just do not want to risk that. I have all the patience in the world about getting there and know I will not quit until I do, so that's why I haven't jumped in yet. I will as soom as I can stay ahead of the sweeper pace. I already know I can do the distance at least for 15K from much slower LWs with DH, so that's not a problem for me. Hopefully, now that I can at least get into the 16 min mile range I will be able to do it consistently. If I decide not to do the Minnie, I plan to look around for a low pressure 5K (no sweepere!) somewhere around here to do soon. That should keep me going for a while and give me some more experience at least. Maybe even while in CT. There is one on Thanksgiving day not far from where we will be staying, but it's the day after the wedding and I'm not sure yet where we will be for Thanksgiving so I'm not sure if I will be able to fit it in. I also have not told DH that idea yet and I'm not sure how he will feel about Hammonassett Beach in Nov! He has gotten very used to our FL weather. Yes, we are spoiled!

Tiger Lily 03
11-05-2005, 09:50 PM
Yay for the 14 miles,
Eyeww for the slithering snake (there are always tons on the trail where I go too and lots of little ones too)

Lynne, it's great to have our own doc on board! :banana:

Nancy, you are progressing very well! Good to hear from you.

Craig, I admire your ability to count that high! Not for me. I'd quit after the first few rounds too. :earboy2:

I did some today and will do my LLR tomorrow. Forecast is rain in a.m., hope I can manage later in the day.

Lisa loves Pooh
11-05-2005, 11:13 PM
Lisa, I know exactly how you feel about going to training and watching! That's how I feel about watching all of you getting ready for the 2006 WDW events while here I am targeting 2007 - and that after watching the group who ran 2005 get ready for that and hoping I'd be ready for 2006! I only hpoe it doesn't take me as long to get another minute off my mile time as it has to get me to where I am now because at that rate I'll be looking at 2010 instead of 2007!

Lynn, I am thinking about the Minnie very seriously. What is scaring me off so far is the 15 min mile pace.

Awwww--you'll make it!!! Keep truckin'! What is your pace right now?

We had someone in our season start in the 19's and her time has come way down. Not sure if she is at 16 yet (I forgot to ask as I was too busy going WAHOOOOO!!!)...but she's getting close. If you find a good training program..as you progress, you do get to a point where you can work on maximizing speed. Hang in there and you'll get your medal!

Now--let's discuss the quad. I guess it is used for many things....walking..running...jumping...lifting your leg...and hey..who knew...STOPPING!

It seems my children have a secret plan to kill me. You see, my exercise mat was still out. And there was this bottle of water. My foot catches a puddle that i didn't see (which is completely under the entire rubber mat now). We have terrazzo floors....

I feel the right leg do it's job of--"hey--I'm slipping..tighten up so the foot can get traction."

You see--I'm usually pretty good at this routine :rolleyes: . The left leg...NUTTIN'.

Not a twitch of muscle fiber--just a "hey, wheeeee! Look at me slide across the floor :banana: ".

"Ummm--excuse me quadricep. It is not fun! Stop acting like it is fun, you coulda darn near killed me and my knee".

"who me?--oh I'm just fine...wheeeee.....let's do it again :banana: ".

"Umm--no thank you! It wasn't fun the first time!"

"oh--cmon---look at me..wheeeee! :banana: "

"Quit it! :mad: "

"Yes, ma'am :yo-yo: "

Now not only can I not run..but apparently braking action isn't apart of the package either. :rotfl2:

Knee is fine--funny enough!

Stitch_lover_Sith
11-06-2005, 12:20 AM
Hey guys sorry for being mia for so long. I transfered schools, found out what is wrong with my knees, started doing physical theripy for my knees, and applying for the advanced cp. I have pateller tendinitis(sp). The physical theripist have just started leting me run for about five minutes at each session. This is a huge step. But on the bright side my legs are geting their tone back. I am hoping to do a two mile race on thanksgiving. But we will see. I think I might even walk the half with mom, not sure what my doc thinks about that though. :confused3 Well I should go to bed. Every one is doing good and PD for those with injuries.

Tiger Lily 03
11-06-2005, 09:53 AM
Lisa! :earseek: Take care. We need you in January!

Stitch_lover_Sith, So Happy that you checked in! :hug: Seems like you have a lot on your plate right now. PD that you can walk with your Mom in January. Your family is certainly a busy one.

I need to get out somehow today. Right now we have t-storm and high wind warnings til noon. I guess I'll get to something constructive and surface this afternoon.

keenercam
11-06-2005, 10:22 AM
Hi, everyone!
Just checking in to tell you I had a great LW this morning. All walking except a very short jog (20 secs?) to make up for stopping for a drink.
Here are my splits
mile 1 -- 14:57
mile 2 -- 14:48
mile 3 -- 14:12
mile 4 -- 14:44
mile 5 -- 15:39 (including 2 pauses for drinks)
mile 6 -- 15:14
cool down/recovery .8 miles -- 13:38 (17:03 pace)
After the cool down, I realized I was tired, but not spent, and actually wondered how much further I could have gone. I am pretty confident that at a bit slower pace than the first 4 miles, I really could have kept going for a while.

Howard (KeenHo) was having shin pains today and walked a bit, but also did 6.8 miles.

Off to my daughter's band championships. Hoping everyone else has gorgeous weather and has some excuse to spend the day outside! :sunny:

TiffJ
11-06-2005, 06:23 PM
Cam- awesome job on your LW! :Pinkbounc It feels good knowing you can outrun those evil sweepers, doesnt it?

Lisa- Be careful, we dont want you hurt anymore

xterratri-I could not handle running anywhere there were snakes. I would have freaked out & ended up hurting myself in the process.

I did my 6 miles today. Pace was 14:26 :banana: :banana: That includes warm up. I didnt look at my splits except I did notice that either 2nd or 3rd mile was 13:34 COOL!

I found a cool magazine today. Her Sports, it seems to be pretty informative & not just for the phsycho thin professional athlete.

Tiger Lily 03
11-06-2005, 06:29 PM
Cam, Whoo Hoo for you! You are really doing great.

Whoo Hoo for me! I did 14 miles all in a row! First time and I think I did well. I wanted to make sure that I stayed at the slower pace so I made myself walk for the first 5 miles. Then I ramped up just a bit and did a wog for 1 mile and a walk for the next mile (well approximately) until I completed the 14. I managed it in 3:26 which is a 14.44 pace. I am thrilled!

I am also amazed that I do not hurt. I know I have mentioned this many times before, but once again. Last year after my walks/wogs/jogs I would crawl out of the car on my return home...really I do mean crawl. Today I came home after this effort and got out of the car and up the steps with little problem. This is progress!

Oh, and as I was on the long trek I was reciting our WISH cheer:
Thunder, thunder, thunderation!
We're the WISH group delegation.
When we move with determination,
We create a GREAT sensation!

Lisa loves Pooh
11-06-2005, 06:53 PM
WTG Lily!

Oh...and my knee had a message for everyone....

"Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee"

;)

chimera
11-06-2005, 07:00 PM
Come join us for a new week!

Wk of Nov 6--Disney Half-Full Marathon Thread (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=10495834#post10495834)