PDA

View Full Version : Anyone going to AKL in January?

Ladyhawke10
10-28-2005, 05:21 PM
:cool1: Just made the first move toward booking our January trip--we're planning on starting at AKL for the first few days and then probably moving to Poly or renting points. So excited to go back!!!

I'm considering concierge, but I'm wondering if it's going to be necessary considering how much we will be enjoying Boma and Jiko...

Anyone else going to be at AKL in a couple months ? :banana:

wendypooh
10-28-2005, 06:25 PM
We are!!!! We are so excited, this will be our first time at AKL, and cannot wait!!! I've been dreaming of zebra domes for weeks......... LOL

HueyDewey&LouiesMom
10-28-2005, 06:59 PM
We are...22nd - Feb 4th. I can NOT wait!!

jcemom
10-28-2005, 09:36 PM
We'll be there the 27th - 30th (tacked on a few days after our BWV stay). It will be our 2nd time at AKL. We absolutely LOVED it last time (February 2004). :sunny:

Nancyg56
10-28-2005, 11:07 PM
We'll be there the first week in Jan! We are staying CL, and I cannot wait!

Ladyhawke10
10-29-2005, 02:37 AM
We are!!!! We are so excited, this will be our first time at AKL, and cannot wait!!! I've been dreaming of zebra domes for weeks......... LOL

This will be our fourth stay at AKL and since we have yet to try the Zebra Domes, this time they will not be missed! :teeth:

I'm trying to decide on how many days to stay... :wave: SO EXCITED :banana:

Ladyhawke10
10-29-2005, 02:39 AM
We'll be there the first week in Jan! We are staying CL, and I cannot wait!

Oh cool, if we end up going w/ CL (which I'm debating now) that would be the week we're planning on, too. We might stay more than a week but we are switching resorts, so that first week we'll be at AKL :sunny:

Princess Patti
10-29-2005, 08:49 AM
count us in too, hopefully January 6th to 14th

dixiedizfan
10-29-2005, 09:59 AM
If ... and that's a big if ... Disney comes up with a room-only discount next week, then we'll be switching our POFQ reservation over to AKL for the first week of January.

MagicKingdom05
10-29-2005, 12:49 PM
I am looking at Jan 14-24.

HLAuburn
10-29-2005, 01:15 PM

What the heck is a zebra dome?
Is this some crazy thing they teach you people at LSU? :rotfl:

wendypooh
10-29-2005, 10:23 PM
LOL, nah, that'd be gumbo and jambalaya!!! Cher!

Zebra Domes are apparently wonderful, delicious little domed shaped chocolate mocha mousse filled domes, with zebra stripes on the top. The shape is similar to a chocolate covered cherry. I've heard they are simply "divine"!!! I'll find out!!! I'm looking for a pic............. they look soooooo good!!!

Meezers
10-29-2005, 10:39 PM
Us! Us! From Jan 23rd til Jan 31st!

ADR's all made...glad we are making it before they change dinner at CRT?

Skroops
10-29-2005, 11:09 PM
It's our first time at AKL and I'm so excited! We'll be staying Jan27-Feb3 in a standard room. We considered a savannah view, but we weren't sure if we should pay more for our toddler to be obsessed with the animals. We may get tired affirming "yes, that IS an elephant!" I would totally enjoy it, so maybe we'll try the animal view next time. Just glad to be going! :cool1:

3boyzmom
10-29-2005, 11:51 PM
We'll be there the 18th -22nd. Our second stay! We had so much fun the first time ... despite interference from hurricane jeanne ... that we couldn't pass up a few nights at AKL this time around!

Stephanie

glass-slipper
10-30-2005, 11:56 AM
We'll be there too! Jan. 1st- 7th. We have a pool view booked right now, but am trying to decide if we should upgrade or not. :goodvibes We love AKL :banana:

Ladyhawke10
10-30-2005, 12:30 PM
Wow, this is really fun seeing how many of us from the DIS will be there, especially since it's just right around the corner.

I can't wait to try Boma this time....it will be our first time going there! I want to try those awesome soups :sunny:

Ladyhawke10
10-31-2005, 11:10 PM
Anyone else?

Tinkaroo
10-31-2005, 11:34 PM
No, but I wish I was! Love the zebra domes (and Ladyhawke, you'll love Boma - it's one of our faves!)!!!!

Ladyhawke10
11-02-2005, 12:06 PM
I wish there was a way to put something lime green in our windows, but only the animals would see them! :rolleyes:

Any ideas on how to show you're a DISer at AKL this Jan? :flower:

MoreDisneyFreaks
11-02-2005, 12:57 PM
We'll be there too! Jan. 21st - Jan. 28th! I can't wait... first time to AKL (first time going since 1997)!! :cool1:

Anne

Nancyg56
11-03-2005, 06:34 AM
Oh cool, if we end up going w/ CL (which I'm debating now) that would be the week we're planning on, too. We might stay more than a week but we are switching resorts, so that first week we'll be at AKL :sunny:

My DD said it was worth the price of admission just for the ressies. We have not needed to do a thing, and the staff seems to be happy to help. I need to make a few changes now that I see the hours (thank you Agotta), and I will be sending them today. I am way too excited! :goodvibes :goodvibes :goodvibes

TonyS20
11-03-2005, 10:36 AM
We are!! We are starting our trip at AKL on Jan. 13-16 staying concierge (by the way, they have been WONDERFUL!! :wizard: ) . We are then moving to VWL to a 1 bedroom Jan. 16-24 and wrapping up our stay at GF in the Main building Jan. 24-27. DH and I are celebrating 10 years of marriage and are looking forward to our blowout trip!! :love2:

MagicKingdom05
11-04-2005, 08:20 AM
Ladyhawke10,

I'm now offically booked at AKL-Standard for Jan 16-23. I was going to go Jan 14-21, but have been told that MLK B-Day weekend can be very very crowded.

devmer
11-05-2005, 04:20 PM
We're going Jan 22-29. 1st trip for everyone in my family (doing a grand gathering) except my mom. I am so excited!!! I can't wait. :Pinkbounc
Dawn :sunny:

oxfordcircus
11-05-2005, 04:36 PM
1/21 - 1/29. Daughter's birthday

:banana: :banana: :banana:

Ladyhawke10
11-05-2005, 04:49 PM
Is anyone planning on doing either the sunrise or sunset safaris?

Nancyg56
11-05-2005, 07:22 PM

We are booked for the Sunrise Safari on jan 5th. also I got this message from the Concierge concerning a new program offered:

We have a special Lunch at Jiko ** Lunch with Animal Programs will be starting on Nov. 1st, 2005. It will happen every Tuesday.Each lunch program can have up to 20 ppl. Ages 10 and up. The price is $65 plus tax and gratuity. Every Tuesday from 12 Noon to 2 p.m., a different presenter will meet with guests in an entertaining and informal setting. Personalities such as Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge Animal Curator Joe Kalla, who spent much of his career at the San Diego Zoo, traveled to Africa to study Sumatra rhinos and learned Swahili to communicate with villagers, will share his experiences.

And, the Jiko culinary cast will serve a traditional Jiko feast.

It is a lunch session at Jiko with our friends from Animal Programs. This is your opportunity to get up-close-and-personal with a dolphin trainer, veterinarian, or animal curator.

This sounds like fun.

Ladyhawke10
11-05-2005, 07:29 PM
Wow, thanks for posting this! Looks great! :sunny:

glass-slipper
11-07-2005, 08:46 AM
Ok, I did it! We upgraded to a savannah view room :goodvibes The only problem now is that I want to upgrade to CL :rotfl: I wonder if that may be a possibility at check-in? Anyone have any idea what my chances may be?

mackeyapp
11-07-2005, 09:26 AM
Hi
We are booked POFQ 12/28-01/08 and then our two last nights at AKL-standard room. We had hoped to change the 6 and 7th to AKL as well but they are only showing Savannah rooms. With rack rate and CDN dollar its a bit high for us. Any suggestions as to whether standards may come available for earlier in January, 4 or more nights would be better than only 2. Any ideas would be appreciated. :wave: bold

Angel16
11-08-2005, 06:44 PM
Ok, I did it! We upgraded to a savannah view room :goodvibes The only problem now is that I want to upgrade to CL :rotfl: I wonder if that may be a possibility at check-in? Anyone have any idea what my chances may be?

AKL has become more and more popular. We stayed concierge level for a week this past October. We wanted to stay on two more days. They were booked solid for the entire resort. So we headed home. :guilty: We are talking about going back next fall. As soon as I have our dates I will be calling and scheduling a CL room. They fill up fast. If you think you want concierge book it now. :) Plus, you will be able to use their IPO now, if you wait until check in ???? The CM's in IPO are wonderful. I hope you have a wonderful trip.

Nancyg56
11-08-2005, 08:24 PM
AKL has become more and more popular. We stayed concierge level for a week this past October. We wanted to stay on two more days. They were booked solid for the entire resort. So we headed home. :guilty: We are talking about going back next fall. As soon as I have our dates I will be calling and scheduling a CL room. They fill up fast. If you think you want concierge book it now. :) Plus, you will be able to use their IPO now, if you wait until check in ???? The CM's in IPO are wonderful. I hope you have a wonderful trip.

We booked CL because I was told that there was no guarantee that CL would be available at check in. Thanks DIS'ers! I can tell you that the IPO staff has been wonderful, and has been able to help me with all of our plans, and my DD has said that they are worth the price of admission. :goodvibes The rest of the benefits will be a bonus for us. Anyway, have a magicall time!

SamSam
11-08-2005, 11:49 PM
I am so excited!!! I just booked 2 nights concierge and 3 nights regular room, Jan.29- Feb.3rd. We are booking the sunset safari and the new 'lunch with the animals at Jiko. This is our 'splurge' trip to celebrate our 34th anniversary and DH's 54th BD.

Ladyhawke10
11-13-2005, 01:08 PM
We have our ADR booked for Boma now! :cool1:

I keep wondering if I should have included the dining plan (I reserved on the MYW package for the first part of the trip). I guess Boma only takes 1 TS? Wow.

I didn't make any requests at AKL beyond non-smoking--I'm excited to see where we end up :flower:

Only six more weeks! :wizard: :banana:

wendypooh
11-13-2005, 01:20 PM
I wish we could stay CL................ :sad1: But, I'm happy just to be there!!!! I'm wanting that butternut squash soup, and the african stew......... not to mention the zebra domes :rolleyes1

I don't think I put my dates earlier......... we are 1/29 - 2/3. But, I did get the code applied to our MYW package, so we might add another night???

Lady ~~ we have the dining package, I'm glad we did it......... it seems like it will save $$ on dining, plus we are going to try out some new places we've never been. I'd say add it on, it just seems to make it so much more convenient. I'm so excited to try out Boma....... the AKL sounds so great, we may never make it to the parks............ ;)

Ladyhawke10
11-13-2005, 03:14 PM
I wish we could stay CL................ :sad1: But, I'm happy just to be there!!!! I'm wanting that butternut squash soup, and the african stew......... not to mention the zebra domes :rolleyes1

I don't think I put my dates earlier......... we are 1/29 - 2/3. But, I did get the code applied to our MYW package, so we might add another night???

Lady ~~ we have the dining package, I'm glad we did it......... it seems like it will save $$ on dining, plus we are going to try out some new places we've never been. I'd say add it on, it just seems to make it so much more convenient. I'm so excited to try out Boma....... the AKL sounds so great, we may never make it to the parks............ ;)

For us, CRO said CL was booked both first week and second week! So I am going to try in vain to pay for an upgrade at check-in, but I'm not counting on it. That's what happens when you book 50 days in advance :rotfl: But I'm excited to go in whatever category.

Yeah, I'm thinking of calling back and adding the dining plan. Do we have to add the same number of days for the plan as the tickets? I got the 10 day with the intention of making them non-expiring for a future trip. I don't want to have to add 10 days of dining--too much food! ;)

Thanks for noting some not-to-miss items at Boma. I'm excited! :banana:

wendypooh
11-13-2005, 05:06 PM
I really don't know.......... We did the dining the number of nights we are staying. I don't know if you can alter the number of days you want dining for?? It wouldn't hurt to ask though. If you find out, let us know!!!

jcemom
11-13-2005, 06:31 PM
Dining is tied to the number of nights you are staying, so if you're staying 8 nights you pay for/receive 8 nights dining. The ticket is separate, so you can get any length ticket you want from 1 day to 10 days. :sunny:

kimmar067
11-13-2005, 07:19 PM
...for all you AKL "First-Timers", here's my thread DEVOTED to the AKL....Happy reading!! :teeth:

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=752192

wendypooh
11-14-2005, 12:43 PM
You sure do know how to make a "first timer" happy!!!!! LOL

Too bad you won't be there while we are there!!! I love that you have so much "knowledge" about AKL......... I mean you did introduce me to Zebra Domes!!!! I can hardly wait!!! ;)

It is a great thread.............. everyone going to AKL should read it!!!

TMM
11-14-2005, 04:48 PM

We will be there for our first trip to WDW. Our first 4 nights will be at WL and then we move to AKL CL for a further 4 nights (January 8 - 12). We are doing both Safaris and can't wait!

kimmar067
11-14-2005, 08:53 PM
You sure do know how to make a "first timer" happy!!!!! LOL

...glad to help a future "AKL lover" out! :teeth:

Too bad you won't be there while we are there!!!
You ain't kiddin'..... :confused3

I love that you have so much "knowledge" about AKL......... I mean you did introduce me to Zebra Domes!!!! I can hardly wait!!! ;)
If you are a concierge guest, you can ask a CM to bring some to the lounge!!

It is a great thread.............. everyone going to AKL should read it!!!

....awwww, :blush: shucks, twerrn't nuttin'...!!

wendypooh
11-15-2005, 11:38 AM
LOL ~~

I'm just so excited about this trip!!! We can hardly wait to get there :cool1:

I've actually already started "thinking" about what I should be packing........ :rolleyes1 it's sad really!!!! LOL

I wish we could stay CL......... but, even though we can't, we'll be at AKL and well within reach of those Zebra Domes for 6 full days!!!!!!! :earboy2: I better go on a diet now to make up for it!!!

kimmar067
11-15-2005, 03:23 PM
LOL ~.......we'll be at AKL and well within reach of those Zebra Domes for 6 full days!!!!!!! :earboy2: I better go on a diet now to make up for it!!!

There IS no diet for THAT!! :rotfl: Jes', don't fight the feelin' ~ ~ go with the FLOW and tell yourself: "Bring on the Zebra Domes!!"

Nancyg56
11-15-2005, 07:18 PM
There IS no diet for THAT!! :rotfl: Jes', don't fight the feelin' ~ ~ go with the FLOW and tell yourself: "Bring on the Zebra Domes!!"

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: What she said!

wendypooh
11-16-2005, 10:05 AM
LOL, I'm really ready to "go with the flow" ........... I'm just scared I'll eat all the zebra domes, and have to get wheel barrel to get me home!!!! ha

Kimmar ~~ sent you a pm, I have a ?? for ya.............

kimmar067
11-16-2005, 12:25 PM
LOL, I'm really ready to "go with the flow" ........... I'm just scared I'll eat all the zebra domes, and have to get wheel barrel to get me home!!!! ha

:rotfl2:

Kimmar ~~ sent you a pm, I have a ?? for ya.............

....got it....and sent one back at ya.... ;)

Ladyhawke10
11-16-2005, 12:31 PM
LOL ~~

I'm just so excited about this trip!!! We can hardly wait to get there :cool1:

I've actually already started "thinking" about what I should be packing........ :rolleyes1 it's sad really!!!! LOL

I wish we could stay CL......... but, even though we can't, we'll be at AKL and well within reach of those Zebra Domes for 6 full days!!!!!!! :earboy2: I better go on a diet now to make up for it!!!

If we can't get into CL, I think I'll be okay with my Boma and Jiko ressies... I looked at Boma's menu and it looked amazing. Breakfast there looks great, too...but I'm going to need a wheelbarrow for myself if I'm dining there twice daily :rotfl2:

kimmar067
11-16-2005, 12:34 PM
...but I'm going to need a wheelbarrow for myself if I'm dining there twice daily :rotfl2:

....THAT you will!! :rotfl:

wendypooh
11-16-2005, 02:35 PM
Kimmar............... Thanks so much!!!!! ;)

Lord, I know, I can hardly wait to try out Boma......... and Mara, we aren't going to venture to Jiko............ we are going to try out some other places, but that just means we'll have to plan another trip........... LOL

Ladyhawke10
11-16-2005, 05:24 PM
As far as Jiko desserts, I really want to try the pistachio creme brulee--never heard of anyone using that flavor before, and it sounds awesome.

Seriously, I can't miss the Mara's prime rib sandwiches and yogurt parfaits, either. That place has the best food.

Less than six more weeks! :cool1:

3boyzmom
11-16-2005, 05:55 PM
[QUOTE=Ladyhawke10]As far as Jiko desserts, I really want to try the pistachio creme brulee--never heard of anyone using that flavor before, and it sounds awesome.QUOTE]

Oh my gosh! The pistachio creme brulee is soooooo good :love:

I had it twice when we were at AKL last time. I am looking forward to the filet also. Can't wait :bitelip:

jcemom
11-16-2005, 06:03 PM
I am looking forward to the filet also.Oh, the filet is SO good...and the Kenyan BBQ Chicken Flatbread...mmmmmm... :love:

wendypooh
11-16-2005, 06:12 PM
Good Grief........... if you guys keep this up I'm going to weigh 500 lbs. by the time I leave the resort!!!! LOL

Ladyhawke10
11-17-2005, 12:33 AM
Oh, the filet is SO good...and the Kenyan BBQ Chicken Flatbread...mmmmmm... :love:

Thanks for the heads up on what to order at Jiko. I think I have my whole meal there planned now :).

Are there any animal babies there right now? I remember last year there was a newborn ankole. Maybe there will be some others? :cutie:

littlegreydonkey
11-17-2005, 10:36 PM
Hi - we're there 5th to 12th for the marathon. Any other runners staying there? Am also now v excited about zebra domes - I'll be the one limping down the corridors carrying a sackful on Jan 8th (after 5 hours of running, I'm going into sugar overload). I also didn't make any requests as to trails this time - although it did give me great glee when my confirmation said 'guest requests to see zebra from room' last time!!!!

TMM
11-18-2005, 01:21 AM
Hi - we're there 5th to 12th for the marathon. Any other runners staying there? Am also now v excited about zebra domes - I'll be the one limping down the corridors carrying a sackful on Jan 8th (after 5 hours of running, I'm going into sugar overload). I also didn't make any requests as to trails this time - although it did give me great glee when my confirmation said 'guest requests to see zebra from room' last time!!!!

Hi,

My husband and I are running, walking, skipping and crawling until we finish the marathon. We move to AKL from WL after we finish and will depart on the 12th as well. We are thinking about stealing our 2 year old's Radio Fyler and taking turns pulling each other around after the run. ;)

See you there!

aanthony03
11-18-2005, 10:02 AM
Seeing that all of you are going to stay at AKL in Jan. It helped make my mind up. I was really looking forward to staying at wL for Christmas, but that trip was concelled. I'm going to miss Caviezel at the Candlelight Processional :faint: . Now all I have to do is figure out what room to get :cool1: !

Ladyhawke10
11-18-2005, 10:26 AM
Seeing that all of you are going to stay at AKL in Jan. It helped make my mind up. I was really looking forward to staying at wL for Christmas, but that trip was concelled. I'm going to miss Caviezel at the Candlelight Processional :faint: . Now all I have to do is figure out what room to get :cool1: !

Hooray!

I didn't make any requests so I'm excited to see where we end up as well. :wizard:

Can't wait to get in one of those jacuzzis under the stars....even in January :teeth:

Nancyg56
11-19-2005, 06:30 AM
I'm with you Ladyhawke! I asked for a Savannah view, and will leave the rest up to the Concierge staff. We are so happy to be going that we decided not to try to hard toget the "best" room. (wouldn't know it if it bit me) I want to lounge around and be lazy in warm water.....cold here today!

kimmar067
11-19-2005, 01:02 PM
...I asked for a Savannah view, and will leave the rest up to the Concierge staff. We are so happy to be going that we decided not to try to hard toget the "best" room. (wouldn't know it if it bit me)...

....good advice! :goodvibes

Ladyhawke10
11-20-2005, 04:37 PM
I'm going to try the slide this trip...I haven't done it yet,but my son says it's great ;)

I made the final payment on our package today---wish I had one of those countdown clocks!

Just counting down the days now..... :banana:

Ladyhawke10
12-11-2005, 01:07 AM
:sunny: :cool1: :bounce: :lovestruc Just a little more than two weeks now for us! :banana: :cheer2: :Pinkbounc

3boyzmom
12-11-2005, 01:13 AM
I also made final payment on my trip this week. We're going to tell our kids on Christmas that we're going to Disney. I can hardly wait. :Pinkbounc

Nancyg56
12-12-2005, 08:08 AM
When we paid for our trip 2 weeks ago, it felt like a weight had been lifted. It is so nice to know that the only expenses that we will have are for any extras along the way. :goodvibes Now January cannot come fast enough for me!

kimmar067
12-12-2005, 08:48 AM
:Pinkbounc YIPPEE!! :bounce:

I'm soooo excited for you guys...... :banana:

Ladyhawke10
12-21-2005, 11:39 AM
Hooray, less than 2 weeks now! :banana:

Princessemma06
12-23-2005, 05:17 PM
Im going jan 14th but staying at all star m

Marimar
12-23-2005, 06:19 PM
Anyone else going to be at AKL in a couple months ? :banana:

In a few days actually! :banana::dancer:

Thrilled for you and me :)

Ladyhawke10
12-26-2005, 01:43 AM
In a few days actually! :banana::dancer:

Thrilled for you and me :)

It's getting down to just a few more days for us, too. Can't believe it! :goodvibes

glass-slipper
12-26-2005, 03:08 PM
Almost here! :banana: Just 4 more days!! :banana: :banana:

Marimar
12-26-2005, 06:12 PM
So thrilled for all of us!!!

Nancyg56
12-27-2005, 06:53 AM
Leaving early Sunday morning!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot wait..... :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Angel16
12-27-2005, 12:00 PM
Congratulations! :Pinkbounc I am so very happy for you all. Be sure to let the AKL know that Angel 16 and her husband will be returning next year. Oh....how I wish we could join you all.

Have a wondeful vacation.

Angel 16

kimmar067
12-27-2005, 04:07 PM
...who's doin' the "Single-Digit" Dance...c'mon now, raise your hand....! :cool1:

Nancyg56
12-27-2005, 05:35 PM
...who's doin' the "Single-Digit" Dance...c'mon now, raise your hand....! :cool1:

Me Me Me Me! 5 days to go :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

kimmar067
12-28-2005, 11:15 AM
Me Me Me Me! 5 days to go :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

....cool beans! :banana:

Marimar
12-28-2005, 02:20 PM
:cool1::dancer:That would be us!!!!!!!!!

Started packing already :)

zoolady1
12-28-2005, 04:24 PM
the 15th thru the 21st!!
19 more days for me! :cool1:

MoreDisneyFreaks
12-28-2005, 05:03 PM
23 more days for us (21st-28th). Now that Christmas is over I really can't wait!!!

:cool1: :bounce:

Ladyhawke10
12-30-2005, 11:07 AM
Leaving tomorrow! :cool1: :flower:

Accash
12-30-2005, 11:51 AM
9 Days to go WOOHOO

Melissa

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

kimmar067
12-30-2005, 01:53 PM
Leaving tomorrow! :cool1: :flower:

Sa-WEEEEET!!!! :cool1: Don't forget to post a 'lil report on my "JAMBO!....." thread.... :earboy2: !!

Tink10
01-01-2006, 01:30 PM
I just switched from the Contemporary to the AKL for my first solo trip.....

I thought the AKL would be a bit more relaxing :flower: