PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camcorder

Tammi67
10-28-2005, 09:14 AM
Can anyone recommend a good one? I am looking for one that does well at night, for parades and such. Also, I think I would prefer DV rather than DVD

ndelaware
10-28-2005, 10:11 AM
Tried the DVD when I was shoping for a new camcorder. It made too much noise for my taste. Went with a Sony DV and am very happy with it.

Tammi67
10-28-2005, 11:32 AM
Which Sony did you get?

ndelaware
10-28-2005, 11:55 AM
I bought the DCR-TRV80, it is still for sale but Sony has come out with all new camcorders. It was a little pricey but I wanted a few of the features it had that most other camcorders didn't at the time. It has a built in flash and takes very good still pictures among other things. If I were looking today, I would look at the new ones since they are less expensive for the same technology. I actually had it over-nighted to me so I could take it to WDW in 2004.

AZ JazzyJ
10-28-2005, 03:19 PM
The key is to determine how you are going to use the video camera. Is most of your video going to be indoors, outdoors or some 50/50 split? What type of lighting is available to you when you are shooting? Will your video be mostly hand held or will you use a tripod? These kinds of questions will help to determine the features you should look for. I tend to look for something that works well indoors under low lighting since I take videos of family events such as parties and get-togethers. Because of the close proximity I shoot mostly handheld so I wanted something with image stabilization. I then decided that high definition was important to me (not many people have that requirement) so I wanted something that shot in widescreen. And since the built-in microphones are EXTREMELY limited, I wanted something I could add external mics using XLR connectors. I ended up with one of the higher ended Sony cameras and have been very happy. The point is, make a list of what is important to you then using those features find 3-4 cameras that would meet your needs. Then try to find someone who has these cameras so you can get a feel for them. I truly thought I wanted a Panasonic but after playing with it and talking to others I found out the controls I used were out of the way for someone left-handed. Had I not talked to someone or defined what was important I could have ended up with something very unusable for me.

Jeff

peppers
10-28-2005, 05:38 PM
I would recommend the Sony DCR-HC42. It is DV, and I haven't been disappointed with it at all. It has a special night setting which works out great for the evening shows. If you plan on doing any editing from VHS tapes in the future, I believe it is one of the few Sony DV models that lets the camera operate as a go-between from your VCR to your computer.

If you want to save a bunch of moolah, I highly recommend ordering from newegg.com (it was almost $100 cheaper there than at Circuit City).

Tammi67
10-28-2005, 08:53 PM
Thanks everyone. I have been looking at the Sony's, the 42 being one of them. Like AZ said, mostly I want it for indoor, family type events, as well as WDW of course. It does not have to take great still photographs (that's what I have a camera for).