PDA

View Full Version : Everyone if you have time in the next few days

NHMickey
09-11-2001, 07:46 PM
Please stop by your local Red Cross and see what you can do. Donate Blood or what ever you can. Thank you

EpcotKilterFan
09-11-2001, 08:18 PM
Thank you Nat for bringing that up.

As some of you may know I work for the American Red Cross..Disaster Services in Cleveland.

I was actually in Erie, Pa (Off Kilter had a show nearby the night before) and drove back as soon as I heard the news.

Please, if you are able, in the next few days donate blood to your local bloodmobile. And actually later in the week the need will be greater.

Currently our National Headquarters is sending trained personnel to the affected areas to give assistance. I have several volunteers driving out in the morning.

Please keep the families of those affected in your thoughts and also the volunteers and other safety forces that are rushing there as fast as they can to help.

It will be a busy time for me in the next few days. And I just wish I could read all the threads about this...but I have a long day tomorrow and the days ahead.

Thank you again for mentioning this Nat.

Debbie

Eeyore's Pal
09-11-2001, 08:42 PM
Deb,

If it happens that you get sent to the DC area, you are welcome to stay with us, eat with us, wash your clothes with us ;) . . . or whatever.

BeautyLLM
09-11-2001, 08:54 PM
Thanks for that reminder Nat. I was planning on calling the Red Cross tomorrow to inquire about donating as I have one of the rarer blood types...at least I can do this small thing to help....

Leslie

Mickey7811
09-11-2001, 09:17 PM
IT IS A WONDERFUL THING THAT SO MANY PEOPLE HAVE CHOSE TO DONATE BLOOD TODAY.

ALL OF THE BLOOD DONATION CENTERS HAVE BEEN MOBBED ALL DAY.

I WORK IN A HOSPITAL AND THEY WERE ASKING EVERYONE TO COME BACK TOMORROW BECAUSE THEY HAD SO MANY PEOPLE DONATING TODAY.

THE MAIN RED CROSS CENTER IN BALTIMORE HAD 800 PEOPLE IN LINE AT ONE TIME AND THE PHONE LINES OF ALL THE CENTERS WERE COMPLETELY BLOCKED BECAUSE THEY WERE SO BUSY.

I AM SAD THAT I CAN NOT GIVE BLOOD - I AM LESS THEN 6 MONTHS POST OP AND THEY WILL NOT TAKE IT.'

REMEMBER, WE CAN ALSO MAKE A DONATION TO THE AMERICAN RED CROSS SO THAT IS WHAT I PLAN TO DO TOMORROW.

PASS UP A COUPLE OF THOSE PINS ON EBAY, AND PERHAPS MAKE A DONATION TO HELP ALL THOSE THAT HAVE BEEN EFFECTED BY THIS TRAGEDY.

JUST A THOUGHT.

DARLENE

pintrader
09-11-2001, 10:24 PM
You must be 17 years of age. There is no maximum age allowed. You must weigh at least 110 lbs. You may not donate if you are pregnant. if you have had surgery within the last six months, or if you have had hepatitus. There is a number you can call if you are on meds to find out if the prevent you from being a donor. it is 1-800-give life.

Deb, I had a taste of your life girl, and I admire and respect you, it is a tough way to spend a day. The Red Cross is supported by the US Military and the blood donations can and will be flown in military planes to the disaster site. Florida was able to send over 4000 units of blood today. That is more than they usually get in two weeks.
Great minds think alike Nat you and I made the same post at the same time 8:46. Mine was in another thread.

TIGGERSMOM
09-12-2001, 04:11 AM
If you can't find local phone number:

1-800-GIVE-LIFE

My DS donated for the first time yesterday - just turned 17 less than a month ago. It will make you feel less helpless in a helpless situation.

Pixie Power!
09-12-2001, 04:17 AM
If I do make my trip on Sunday, will I be able to give blood?

Sorcerer
09-12-2001, 09:12 AM
Another thing to remember - you may only donate blood every 56 days. I donate every two months, so unfortunately I cannot donate this week (I have to wait until Oct 2 as my last donation was August 7). But as Darlene pointed out, the Red Cross also needs monetary donations. Another way we can assist is by donating platelets. It's not fun, but you can donate at least once a week, I believe. We can all make a difference!

jaross
09-13-2001, 09:20 AM
How to help Red Cross
Many of us are feeling helpless and want to do something to help. It's become clear that the Red Cross is one way to contribute to the rescue efforts.

Of course, giving blood is one way to help and very necessary. Monetary donations are also very necessary to help the rescue efforts. I found this information and wanted to pass it on.

You can donate online at www.redcross.org

I also found links on paypal and paydirect to donate online to the Red Cross.

Hope this helps

Chris