PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming planning session

Luvndisney
10-13-2005, 06:38 PM
We just decided we need to travel down for a planning session and we booked our trip today. We just recieved our planning packet and started to look through it. Our PS is in less than a month, so I need advice, tips, etc

What should I bring? have ready? request from my Em?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you

Janet2k
10-13-2005, 07:08 PM
Luvndisney, make sure you give a lot of thought to your event and its locations. If you're certain as to where you want your ceremony & reception held, then make sure you try to tour those locations. Also, give a lot of thought to what sort of flowers you want (types, colors, etc.), what color scheme you want for your linen package, what foods you want offered at your breakfast/lunch/dinner, and so on.

If you want to read what I went through at the planning session for my vow renewal, click here (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=634041&page=1) (I think I began describing the actual planning session around Page 15). I put a lot of detail in my trip report so that others could get a glimpse of what is involved. I need to note that my planning session was a little out of the ordinary since my dinner party was being held inside a theme park. However, the bulk of the items that I describe apply to just about all custom FTW couples: flowers, linens, menu, dessert, beverages, photo, video, etc.

I hope you have as much fun at your planning session as I had at mine.

Mary626
10-13-2005, 11:24 PM
Look carefully through the "Let the Planning Begin" Document (or whatever the name is). Sort of try to visualize yourself going through the wedding - the days before - the wedding day- after the wedding.. If you have a theme in mind, think of ways along the that you can incorporate it into parts of the wedding. Jot down all your thoughts, questions that you have.

That's really all the advice I have. I did an over the phone planning session. I came into it having no real idea what I wanted - other then the locations for ceremony, reception, and dessert party. We just went through things one by one and I would tell her sort of what I wanted or pictured, and she would make suggestions etc. Same with the floral designer. Both were so helpful that I'm sure you'll be fine even without any preparation. Of course it doesn't hurt to be prepared! I follow up with my coordinator about once a week or every other week with questions or changes that I have along the way. (ETA: always via email).. I am probably driving her crazy but I am just so excited about my wedding day.

Have a wonderful time and let us know how it goes!!!

sbggirl
10-14-2005, 08:56 AM
I was not prepared for how in-depth the meeting was. We got alot more accomplished then I expected. I totally second the other girls' suggestions...if you have colors or dresses picked out, bring photos in.

twojo21
10-14-2005, 04:03 PM
ok not sure if youre going down for a site visit or planning session.

we went down for our site visit in november 03 & viewed the sites we were interested in yc gazebo, seabreeze point, ariels & the living seas. we also went over our planned budget & what we wanted our wedding to be like. so if youre going on your site visit let the sales manager know what sites youre interested in or theme you want, how many guests will probably attend & what your budget is & what you want your wedding to be like so they can take note. we later booked our march wedding this year.

fast forward now were going on our planning session in november, for our march 21st 2006 wedding, yeah :love: im bringing all my docs picture of my dress, the guys tuxes, mohs dress, my centerpiece picture & instructions on how i want them set up (we diyed our centerpieces), pictures & ideas for decor at the ceremony & reception, a program & order of ceremony doc, our music play list, our reception table seating, some floral ideas i like, our planned itiniary & group events to coordinate some group transportation for the rehearsal & dinner and our wedding. were also having a menu tasting including a pasta dish we want custom made & cake sampling.

best of luck with your plans.

fynook12
10-15-2005, 11:46 AM
twojo21, how funny. My wedding date is March 27, 2006 at SBP/Ariel's/UKLower DP. And my PS is for Nov. 29th!! What date in Nov. is yours?? Maybe we'll see each other down there!! My WP is Tracy Donaldson. I'm very nervous about the whole PS/tasting. I was told to email my WP the menu list of food's I would like to try for my tasting 2wks. before we go down!! I'm just nervous and excited!! Where would be a good place to go to get color swatches to show them the colors I am interested in having?

twojo21
10-15-2005, 03:37 PM
fynook12 - wedding is march 21st, yacht club gazebo, marthas vineyard prereception/cocktailhour, ariels reception & uk lower illuminations dessert party. planning session is november 14th, em is claudine sanchez. as for color swatches, if youve bought your dresses from a bridal salon they should give you a swatch, mine did. we're looking forward to getting things finalized & my fi cant wait to taste the cake & frosting samples.

we'll be down in march the 15-25th for the wedding, then leaving for our honeymoon. hopefully we'll run in to eachother, it would be so neat to see another march dis bride, i know afew others will be getting married that week too, maybe at gtg.

fynook12
10-15-2005, 04:54 PM
Oh our plans are almost exact except for the ceremony local!! And unfortuantly we'll be arriving for our wedding week the day your leaving. The 25th! Darn it. Maybe a miracle will occur and we'll cross paths on that one day..LOL.congratulations either way. I know your wedding will be beautiful. The yacht club gazebo was my 2nd choice~~hugs!!

Ember
10-15-2005, 07:32 PM
Do the site visit and the planning session have to be done at different times? If you book a date (or maybe put a general deposit down) can you combine these two things into one trip? I think I'll only be able to make it down once for the site visit but it would be nice to do a tasting as well as get some solid ideas what's available... I do realize things will change, but some more specific things that you could view in person rather than just over the phone or via e-mail would be really helpful to planning closer to the date.

Snow_White
10-16-2005, 12:14 AM
I just wanted to say have a blast at your planning session!! It's a lot of fun :) Notable things that I brought with me: swatches from both my gown and my matron of honor's gown (both of which I gave to the florist) and pictures of my gown (which I also gave to the florist). Seriously though, just don't worry and have fun!!

Jennifer

Laurafoster
10-16-2005, 05:40 AM
i was told you could not do a tasting untill you have chosen the venue? i may be wrong though!

fynook12
10-16-2005, 08:17 AM
Thank Snow_White!! I will, I guess it's all the waiting for the moment to finally arrive!!

Luvndisney
10-16-2005, 09:48 AM
Thanks everyone for your great advice. I have gathered ideas for floral and centerpieces, decoartions, cakes, cake flavors. I have my flowergirl outfits, pictures of my dress - no swatch, and pictures of my bridesmaids dresses - not ordered yet.

I think will be all set in 26 days.

Snow_White
10-16-2005, 04:17 PM
LuvnDisney and fynook12--even if you don't have the actual dresses bought and paid for yet, but do know which dresses you plan to buy, just go to your bridal salon and explain the situation to them...I'm sure they would be willing to give you a swatch anyway! In my experience, they have billions of swatches laying around, so it's just a matter of finding the right one. That's what I did at least, and it worked at both David's (bridesmaid dress) and my local bridal salon (for my gown) :) I feel really good about Disney Floral having the swatches--that way you know for certain that everything is going to match perfectly.

twojo21
10-16-2005, 04:51 PM
ember - you cant have a planning session until your wedding is booked with disney & your em is assigned normally after the 8 month mark for custom weddings. if you want a tasting session the venue has to be picked first to coordinate the tasting with the chef. intimate weddings have no planning session as the intimate wedding is a package.