PDA

View Full Version : Advice ??? School Halloween Party...

CathrynRose
10-13-2005, 12:23 PM
Hi all ~ :wave2:

Ive already decided what we'll be doing. Infact, I'm super :Pinkbounc excited :Pinkbounc about it... I used to make these each year for my kids (when they were smaller - and it was cool to have Mom make things for you) to match their costumes... :cool1:

We'll be getting those plain canvas bags from Oriental Trading Co. (gee, I love that place!) and they'll be decorating them with Fabric Pens ( this is where Im kinda stuck :confused3 )

Anyone use the Crayola Fabric Pens - on canvas, whom could let me know how these will work? Would I be better off with just Permanent Markers, in colors? :confused: :confused:

CathrynRose
10-13-2005, 04:13 PM
***Bump***

Please?!?!?!? :badpc:

Mom-to-2-Princesses
10-14-2005, 10:09 PM
For my daughter's Valentine Party at school last year I gave each child a white prewashed pillow case (2 cases for a $1 at Family Dollar). Then I gave the kids fabric pens and stencils - the kids had a blast. They were all signing each others cases. It was a great and easy party.

First off - do not use permanent markers. They bleed slightly. (think about the tags on your kid's clothing, the permanent marker soaks into the surrounding area)

We used Y&C Fabricmate pens. I got mine from JoAnns using my 40% coupon. (I live in a small town and am not close to a Michaels or Hobby Lobby)

So my personal advice is definately use fabric pens and I am sorry I can't give any advice on the Crayola brand.

Have lots of fun - it is a fun, low stress craft with a lot of punch and memories. Just remind them to be careful with the pens and not mark up their costumes!

Lee Ann princess:

grlpwrd
10-17-2005, 04:12 PM
For Girl Scouts we have used fabric pens. Be careful, though, as some may stain their clothing. We did t shirts one year and the girls wore them and they signed each other's this way and the pen ink went right thru which stained their clothes. Make sure they place the item on the table and/or tell them be careful of staining.

GL! :wizard:

allie&mattsmom
10-17-2005, 04:14 PM
For my daughter's Valentine Party at school last year I gave each child a white prewashed pillow case (2 cases for a $1 at Family Dollar). Then I gave the kids fabric pens and stencils - the kids had a blast. They were all signing each others cases. It was a great and easy party.

First off - do not use permanent markers. They bleed slightly. (think about the tags on your kid's clothing, the permanent marker soaks into the surrounding area)

We used Y&C Fabricmate pens. I got mine from JoAnns using my 40% coupon. (I live in a small town and am not close to a Michaels or Hobby Lobby)

So my personal advice is definately use fabric pens and I am sorry I can't give any advice on the Crayola brand.

Have lots of fun - it is a fun, low stress craft with a lot of punch and memories. Just remind them to be careful with the pens and not mark up their costumes!

Lee Ann princess:

Thanks for the great ideas! I'm room mom for my DD's 5th grade class and & I suggested this idea as opposed to a game. The other room moms loved it. But now I'm in charge of getting everything. I hope I can find the pillow cases at the Dollar Store and I'll go to a craft store or JoAnn's for the fabric pens. Fifty two kids total between the two 5th grade classes. I'm trying to decide on how many pens to get? We are decorating the pillow cases to be used for their Halloween Trick or Treat Bags. Mom-to-2-princesses - How many fabric pens did you purchase? Thanks!! I love this board! :goodvibes

allie&mattsmom
10-19-2005, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the great ideas! I'm room mom for my DD's 5th grade class and & I suggested this idea as opposed to a game. The other room moms loved it. But now I'm in charge of getting everything. I hope I can find the pillow cases at the Dollar Store and I'll go to a craft store or JoAnn's for the fabric pens. Fifty two kids total between the two 5th grade classes. I'm trying to decide on how many pens to get? We are decorating the pillow cases to be used for their Halloween Trick or Treat Bags. Mom-to-2-princesses - How many fabric pens did you purchase? Thanks!! I love this board! :goodvibes

bump! Can anyone help me out with the number of fabric pens you purchased? We'll have two classes, one with 27 kids and one with 25. And as far as the post about the pens staining the kids clothes....They won't stain the desk or table will they? Thanks everyone. I'm kindof clueless when it comes to crafty things. :teeth:

Mom-to-2-Princesses
10-19-2005, 05:29 PM
You are lucky - 5th graders *should* be able to share and be patient if they need to wait for a color. I had about 1 1/2 pens per kid. (I had 20 kids so I had 30 pens, enough options. Worked fine.) We did the party in the cafeteria so they had bigger tables to work on. This also allowed them to share the pens easier. Also, I stayed within the holiday colors so there wasn't a big need for tons of extra pens. If you stuck with black, grey, orange, green, and purple that would be colorful but not needing too many extra. Also make sure you get fabric pens and not fabric paint pens - the paint pens need time to dry.

Make sure you place a brown paper grocery bag inside the pillowcase - that was enough to stop any bleedthrough for us. And protected the table! I don't recall if I needed two bags for the length of the pillowcase, but I do remember that for thickness sake you only need one bag.

Like I mentioned I found the pillowcases at a Family Dollar (our Dollar Tree didn't have any). I ended up going to about 4 stores to get all the cases, but I wanted only white. They also had cream, which I think would be fine for Halloween (didn't seem very Valentiney) Big Lots would also be a good spot to check.

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me - I will see that sooner, sometimes I don't get time to check all the boards!

Good Luck and have fun!

Lee Ann princess: princess:

allie&mattsmom
10-27-2005, 03:19 PM
Thanks Lee Ann, I just now saw this as we've been out of town. Darn, and today I just went out and got Fabric "paint" pens. I guess I'll take them back and see if I can just get fabric pens. Thanks again!

Edited to Add: Oh wait, I just checked and I have bought Fabric Markers. Do you think these will be okay? Thanks again.