PDA

View Full Version : Sizzix or Sidekick?

DsnyDrmr
10-12-2005, 01:13 PM
Just gathering opinions here........have neither one but would like to get one. Which one do you get the most use out of? What kinds of die cuts are you creating the most? (alpha or 'things') The Sizzlets dies look pretty small, so I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better off with the original and getting the converter. I don't go to crops very often, so transporting is not a problem. I've heard people say that their Sidekick has broken more often than the original.

We just had an AC Moore open up near us. They had Sizzix and Sidekick for 39. and were giving $10 to the first 500 customers--of course I never made it down there!! Guess I'll have to wait for another 50% off coupon.

piratesmate
10-12-2005, 01:41 PM
Personally, I like the original better. While I have some of the large red dies, many of the shapes are really too big for my taste....even though I use 12x12 format. I like the size of the medium yellow & small green dies better. I've not found the Sizzlits to be too small. I have the zoo set & frankly wouldn't want the animals to be much biggers - they'd upstage the photos I think. I do have the giraffe (it's a yellow one) and that's okay.

I only have the original machine, but debated a long time before buying it. In the end I decided it gave me more versatility than the Sidekick would. But at the time, they didn't have the adapters that let you use other systems' dies with the Sidekick. Do you have any others? Like QuiKutz? If so, I don't know that you can use them with the original machine.

I've only gone to one crop so far & one of the ladies running brought hers. I took my dies along (to share) but have to say I won't do that again - unless specifically asked. They get too heavy as well! :earseek: I was surprised at how much weight the alpha added to my bag! LOL If I make more of an effort to do some power layouts before leaving I wouldn't miss having it at a crop!

I love the idea of being able to make titles with the alphas, but have to say it's time consuming. I use the Sizzlit alphas & love them - but wouldn't use them all the time or I'd never finish a page! LOL

WDWMom
10-12-2005, 01:47 PM
I prefer the sizzlet alpha's only because of the size. I am not into huge titles. I prefer the sizzix dies though. More versitle (sp?) on my pages than the little bitty things. Saying that, I have both and probably use the sizzlets more than the other.

Yazlow
10-13-2005, 03:09 PM
I have a few sidekicks in the store... if anyone is interested, pm me!

Kristi

becky7953
10-14-2005, 08:53 AM
It depends on if you have room for the big one? If you go to crops, where you would take the sidekick? I have both. If you have the room and wouldn't be taking it to crops I would say the big one with the converter. With the converter you can use both sizzlets and regular. :)

bananiem
10-14-2005, 09:47 AM
I have both. I found that my large one with the converter didn't work well with my sizzlets alphabets. I thought maybe it was the sizzlets but they work great with the sidekick. I use mine mainly for titles and use the sidekick more often now.

PIRATEGIRL007
10-16-2005, 11:22 PM
I have both. I like the original b/c it uses all the dies and with the converter the sizzlets, too. I like the sidekick b/c it is more portable, but I have had major issues with my acrylic plates breaking or cracking more than once with my sidekick. Sizzix has been great about replacing them, but it's a hassle and I feel like I am bugging them. I had one of the first sidekicks from the first batch and the tension may be wound a little tight on them, my best friend bought one months after they came out and never had a problem. If I had to pick only one I 'd go for the original.

DsnyDrmr
10-17-2005, 03:28 PM
Thank you all.....I think I'm leaning toward the original....now just gotta wait for a great sale or ask for it as a xmas present! (or a 50% coupon!--mine have all been 40% lately).