PDA

View Full Version : slightly off topic.. dd and irish dance

nicurn
10-10-2005, 10:30 PM
hey guys, dd danced at a feis this weekend and placed first in her novice reel dance! I haven't gotten over it yet. I just moved her from advanced beginner to novice oh 3 weeks ago... baltimore was her first feis as a novice. Now suddenly she's in prizewinner and I need to start looking for a solo dress! Ugggh! wish I could get one with a mike's coupon! :) maggie

Meezers
10-10-2005, 10:45 PM
Is there a way to find competitions around where a certain person lives? I would like to see one of these...they sound very cool.

Congrats to your DD...better get to work on that dress! Maybe we will see her at Raglan Road soon!

coinkc
10-10-2005, 11:48 PM
Congratulations to your daughter. How old is she?

Mine got her first novice first this year too and is excited to move into open with her hornpipe. She needs a soft shoe first and she can get her solo so she is very motivated right now :)

Meezers, there are feisanna all over the country (and internationally) almost every weekend. Where do you live and I will see if there are any close to you.

goofymom/pop
10-11-2005, 06:32 AM
Congrats to her she must be on cloud 9 :cloud9: :cool1: :cool1: Its so cool to see our children achieve their goals and be so excited about it.

Spinning
10-11-2005, 07:58 AM
Way to go!
I just can't wait to see all the layouts! And pictures!

Twigs
10-11-2005, 08:13 AM
Congratulations!! :flower: She must be soo excited.

Maridw
10-11-2005, 01:00 PM
Congratulations to your DD. Several students from our school went to a feis this past weekend and took several 1st's. We are so proud of them.

I myself take Irish dance but am not in it to compete at a feis. Just love to learn and at 44 don't think I could remember the step to get through the competition. :rotfl:

I know what you mean about saving for a solo dress :earseek:

nicurn
10-11-2005, 01:14 PM
hey,did they go to the butler feis? We've heard good things about that feis, might have to try it sometime. :) maggie

Meezers
10-11-2005, 01:45 PM
I live on the NE side of Atlanta...I would really like you to check...

Can overweight adults take this type of dance? I have a previous fracture in one of my legs and don't know if that could stand the stress (not supposed to be able to walk without a limp)...but it sounds like a fun way to get in shape and lose weight...Plus...I like Irish music!

Looking forward to hearing back!

Maridw
10-11-2005, 05:24 PM
I will have to check the email from my instructor as to which feis they went to.

We had one woman who was overweight that took the class with me until she moved. She went to the feis in Atlanta and took a 4th place when she was still attending classes.

It is great exercise. I started taking dance at 33 (ballet, tap, jazz). I did pointe one year ( :rotfl: ) with my DD (now 18). I started taking Irish dance 2 1/2 years ago. Started with a weekend class for a month. The instructor told me she was teaching classes at a local dance school so I started attending there. I do soft shoe and started hard shoe last year. This year I finally got some hard shoes that I can get onto my toes.

At the other dance school I still attend occassionally, I have done Irish dance solos.

My instructor recently got the 2005 North American Comhaltras performers to make a stop in Panama City. They did a small concert on Thursday night. Afterward the performers went to a local bar and we all sat and talked and they sang songs. It was a great evening. Since they were originally supposed to perform in New Orleans on the 7th and it was cancelled, they got to stay over an extra day and see some sights and relax.

The last time Lord of the Dance was in town, we had a private meet & greet with the four main performers. The first time, 4 of us hung around outside the stage door like groupies and got all their autographs in the bitter cold January weather. But we had fun doing it. :rotfl2:

pattyT
10-11-2005, 06:02 PM
WOW
I forgot she moved up to Novice!
WAY TO GO GIRL!

WDWMom
10-11-2005, 06:50 PM
Tell your DD congrats!!!! Way to go!

nicurn
10-11-2005, 08:20 PM
rofl patty t, she was only moved up to novice in oh...sept for the baltimore feis. (easy to forget since it just happened). her dance teacher then said that she couldn't get a solo dress until she has a hard shoe dance in pw as well... guess who is now practicing hardshoe like mad. keep your fingers crossed for next weekend at ROI. (cause I don't want to hear about it all the way home). maggie

sweet maxine
10-11-2005, 11:27 PM
Wow! Tell her congratulations, and good luck for next weekend!

clh2
10-12-2005, 12:30 AM
Maggie - tell your DD congrats! Based on several friends that we have who have daughters that used to do Irish Dance in the Milwaukee - it seemed like they always found future dresses/shoes at the dance competitions, or they always did things with many other families in the Irish Dance School - i.e. the Beckers always sold their outgrown shoes to the Shannons. Many families always tried to get the dresses from others too.

None of their daughters are currently dancing, so I doubt any of them have any leftovers.

Maridw
10-12-2005, 10:02 AM
I checked the email and they went to the Florida Suncoast Feis in Tampa. They came home with 11 medals between 3 girls. They really worked hard and one of the girls is a 6 yo.

Here is a link to the North American Feis Commission Schedule for 2005

Feis Schedule (http://www.northamericanfeiscommission.org/2005.asp)

nicurn
10-12-2005, 10:54 AM
that is so awesome! congratulations to all of them! maggie

aurora19
10-12-2005, 01:24 PM
Yeah to Kate!!!! Way to go! Maggie - from what I understand, there is quite an active 2nd hand sales market for those solo dresses (since they can be $1000 new). I will ask my friend Rose where she gets Tara's dresses from (her daughter is 15 and places in her level so they go through a couple of dresses a year - gotta keep them fresh for the judges ;) )

nicurn
10-12-2005, 03:58 PM
uuugghhh! stop the madness, we are NOT going to go through solo dresses! (at least not until she grows out of it!) maggie