PDA

View Full Version : Wanted to buy a new inexpensive sewing machine...Any ideas ?

MEG&MINNIE
10-09-2005, 01:03 PM
I am looking into buying an inexpensive sewing machine for myself and DD 9. I want a reliable one ,but a beginners model. Just a basic sewing machine to learn on. I was taught many years ago, but I'm rusty ...it's been 20 years since I've used one. Any brand names would be great and their price range too. Thanks :flower:

FantasticDisFamily
10-10-2005, 07:03 AM
Since you know you want a new machine I won't make my usual suggestions about checking garage, estate, etc sales. Instead I would first recommend a trip to your local sewing machine store. Not a department inside a fabric store but an actual store that specializes in sewing machines. Sometimes they combine with vacuum cleaners (no idea why) but you should be able to find a listing in the yellow pages. If you can go on a weekday afternoon when they are least likely to be busy. Tell them exactly what you've told us and take the time to try several different machines.

You may decide that a few more features are worth a slightly higher price as sometimes a bit of automation can help. At the minimum you should have adjustable size stitches in forward and reverse modes, straight and zigzag, and buttonholing ability. The machine should also come with a zipper foot.

Singer and White both make decent starter machines. I've often seen the White model advertised in my area around $89. You can check the big discount stores after the sewing store - although eventually you'll need to take the machine in for service and those folks can also help you troubleshoot if you buy the machine from them.

Deb

MEG&MINNIE
10-10-2005, 11:08 AM
Thanks for all the detailed info...now I'll have to start looking ! Thanks :flower:

onedisneylover
10-10-2005, 11:49 AM
they have a kenmore one at sears that is a 3/4 size...i have heard good reviews on it...it comes in a few colors, if i didn't have an awesome machine, i would buy it in a second.

especially since you also want it for your dd, i think it would be a good beginner one...here is a picture of it...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v624/onedisneylover/sewing.jpg

here is a link for it...

kenmore sewing machine (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=APPL&pid=02011506000)

MEG&MINNIE
10-10-2005, 07:25 PM
:flower: Thanks ,I'll have to check the Kenmore one out too !!!

PIRATEGIRL007
10-18-2005, 10:03 AM
Don't know if you have one around, but we have Tuesday Mornings stores here that have great deals on everything under the sun. They have different stuff all the time. I noticed in ours the other day they had just gotten in a bunch of new sewing machines. They had begininer models and more intermediate/advanced one as well. I remember Brother and Singer. Had the same Brother model I pd over $200 for not even 2 yrs ago for $59. :earseek:

MEG&MINNIE
10-19-2005, 08:34 PM
No, I never heard of that store up here in Mass. but that seems like a great price...I'm still looking for one that's reasonable. Thanks :flower:

manning
10-20-2005, 01:11 PM
Since you know you want a new machine I won't make my usual suggestions about checking garage, estate, etc sales. Instead I would first recommend a trip to your local sewing machine store. Not a department inside a fabric store but an actual store that specializes in sewing machines. Sometimes they combine with vacuum cleaners (no idea why) but you should be able to find a listing in the yellow pages. If you can go on a weekday afternoon when they are least likely to be busy. Tell them exactly what you've told us and take the time to try several different machines.

You may decide that a few more features are worth a slightly higher price as sometimes a bit of automation can help. At the minimum you should have adjustable size stitches in forward and reverse modes, straight and zigzag, and buttonholing ability. The machine should also come with a zipper foot.

Singer and White both make decent starter machines. I've often seen the White model advertised in my area around $89. You can check the big discount stores after the sewing store - although eventually you'll need to take the machine in for service and those folks can also help you troubleshoot if you buy the machine from them.

Deb

Try Viking. You can find them in a Jo Anne fabric store....And they are Viking stores not connected with Jo Anne.

christinadei
10-20-2005, 01:32 PM
There is supposed to be a Brother sewing machine on black friday at Walmart for $55.