PDA

View Full Version : Cinnamon Christmas ornaments?

minkydog
10-07-2005, 10:15 PM
Do any of you have that recipe for cinnamon Christmas ornaments? the ones made with glue in them? I made them years ago and they're still going strong. Every Christmas i sprinkle them with cinnamon and hang them on the tree...mmmmm.

DD12 wants to make some for her Granny, but I can't remember all the ingredients. I have a recipe calling for applesauce and cinnamon, but Granny lives on the Gulf Coast and i'm not sure they will hold up in the humidity.

tnhillbilly
10-08-2005, 12:52 AM
Cinnamon Ornaments
Cinnamon Ornaments are perfect for celebrating holiday fun activities with the children. The ornaments are easy to make and their aroma lasts long after the holidays are over.

Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 2 1/2 hours, or 1 to 2 days drying time
Makes 12-15 ornaments

Ingredients:
3/4 cup applesauce
1 bottle (4.12 ounces) McCormick® Ground Cinnamon

Supplies needed:
cookie cutters
drinking straw
colorful ribbon

Directions:
1. Mix applesauce and cinnamon with hands in a small bowl until a smooth ball of dough is formed.
2. Using about 1/4 of the dough at a time, roll dough to 1/4-inch to 1/3-inch thickness between two sheets of plastic wrap. Peel off top sheet of plastic wrap and cut dough with cookie cutters. Make a hole in top of ornament with drinking straw.
3. Place ornaments on a baking sheet and bake at 200°F for 2 1/2 hours; place on rack to cool. Or carefully lay ornaments flat on rack to dry at room temperature 1 - 2 days or until thoroughly dry, turning occasionally.
4. Insert ribbon through holes and tie to hang. May be decorated with opaque paint markers found in arts and crafts stores, if desired.
Tip: If a different size bottle of cinnamon is used, measure 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons cinnamon.

I hope this helps! I know this is not the glue one but I have used this one for a few years and they do real good.

inky dinky doo
10-09-2005, 07:16 PM
I have a couple of different recipes. Here's one, where you use white glue. . .

Applesauce/Cinnamon Ornaments

3/4 c.applesauce
1c. ground cinnanmon
2 T. white craft glue (Elmers)
few drops cinnamon oil (optional)

Mix until smooth (add more cinnamon if too wet). Roll dough and cut out desired shapes.Dry in brown paper bag for a couple of days, turning several times each day or bake in 200 degree oven for a hour turning once. Cool. Put in brown bag overnight. Hope this helps. Merry Christmas.

MerryPoppins
10-10-2005, 04:24 PM
Thank you. I've been meaning to look for my recipe. I have to make 60 homemade ornaments for a tree at church by early November.

I'm thinking I'll make these and have the youth group paint "frosting" designs on them with dimentional paint to make gingerbread men. Do you guys think that'll work? I've never painted a design on the ones I made before, but I thought the youth might like to help.

Or do you have a better ornament idea? I'd like something that people in the church might actually like to keep.

aurora19
10-12-2005, 01:33 PM
Dimensional paint will work great. I have also used glitter glue to paint them. (silver and gold stars). Have fun!

MerryPoppins
10-12-2005, 02:47 PM
Hmmmm. Glitter glue might be less messy. I'll have to think about that. If I could find the kind with white sparkles it might look sort of like snow. That might be really pretty.