PDA

View Full Version : Blackeye peas and pork spareribs?

DsnyDrmr
10-07-2005, 12:29 PM
Anyone have a good recipe to use these in a combo dish--I was just thinking of throwing together a soup or something in the crockpot since I had both on hand. The beans are dry. Thanks if you have any ideas!

CapitanCook
10-08-2005, 05:45 PM
That certainly works. Another option would be to serve it as a dish -> ribs, beans, and greens.

Sounds like the ribs are cooked. Ok, get some pork, veal, or beef stock, maybe one can (serving 2-4) Add a 1/2 can of red wine. Reduce to sauce consistancy.

Were I to do this, I'd reduce the stock with chopped carrots, onion and celery to bump up the flavor and then strain it out. When I have the correct amount of liquid, I then adjust consistancy by adding in a small amount of cornstach mixed with water. The cornstarch will act as a thickener if you give it 2-3 minutes to work. (the strach molecules expand, some of them burst and the enlargened molecules make for a more viscous solution)

CapitanCook
10-08-2005, 05:46 PM
oh and the braised greeens are simple. Use whatever greens you want. Kale, Collared greens, tops of swiss Chard, whatever. Cook in water/white wine mixture. Maybe throw some garlic and/or shallots in. Cook until stems are tender (maybe 30-45 min, but don't quote me on that)