PDA

View Full Version : Silly Question about Bonine??

Ethelina
10-06-2005, 10:07 AM
This is really a silly question but do you say it "Bonine" ( long i like the number 9) or "Bonine(like neen)?? I know its stupid but I have heard it both ways?

Thanks!
E

pearlieq
10-06-2005, 10:10 AM
I'm personally a "bah-neen" person, but I've heard it both ways as well. They'll know what you're asking for.

pppiglet
10-06-2005, 10:16 AM
I don't think it's a stupid question, because I've always wanted to know too! I always say "bo nine".

Echo queen
10-06-2005, 11:08 AM
In Texas I say bo nine. :rotfl:

two-foxes
10-06-2005, 11:14 AM
I say ba - neen. I figure it is because my sisters name is Janine, and we don't say Ja - nine(9), we say Ja - neen. But, that is just my logic! :teeth:

TheWog
10-06-2005, 11:50 AM
We say Bo - neen.

the other way sounds too much like a tumor to us.

Echo queen
10-06-2005, 11:51 AM
I say ba - neen. I figure it is because my sisters name is Janine, and we don't say Ja - nine(9), we say Ja - neen. But, that is just my logic! :teeth:

This is too funny. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

cepmom
10-06-2005, 12:06 PM
I always say "bo-neen" but only because Dramamine is pronounced "drama-meen" so I figure that's the right way

ChrizJen
10-06-2005, 12:57 PM
Gosh, I never even thought of it...We say bo-nine(9), and I never really even considered there being another way to say it! LOL
Come to think of it, though, I've never actually heard anyone else say it. I've only seen it on the boards...
Hmmmmm....

-Christal

jjgarv
10-06-2005, 01:30 PM
"bo 9" sounded too close to "bovine" to me, and because I didn't want to get a drug for cows by mistake, I said "bo-neen". ;)

cynjam
10-06-2005, 02:10 PM
You guys are too funny! :rotfl: Thanks for my laugh of the day. I never know how to pronounce it either, so I just spell it for everyone. Actually I want to get "bonnie"n out of it myself. I have no idea why. :confused3 Whatever we call it, I know it works, and that's really what matters. :boat: pirate:

cass'mom
10-06-2005, 02:26 PM
Having been on Meclizine for another problem...I've always pronounced it /neen/ I guess that's the way it is? Tomato/Tomado :teeth:

Brand NamesReturn to top

Some commonly used brand names are:

In the U.S.—

* Antivert3
* Antivert/253
* Antivert/503
* Bonine3
* Dramamine II3
* Marezine2
* Meclicot3
* Medivert3

In Canada—

* Bonamine3
* Marzine2

Note:
For quick reference, the following medicines are numbered to match the corresponding brand names.
This information applies to the following medicines:
1. Buclizine (BYOO-kli-zeen)*
2. Cyclizine (SYE-kli-zeen)

3. Meclizine (MEK-li-zeen)‡

two-foxes
10-06-2005, 03:52 PM
Having been on Meclizine for another problem...I've always pronounced it /neen/ I guess that's the way it is? Tomato/Tomado :teeth:

Nah, you pronounce it that way because you're from Cleveland! (It is the right way to say it, after all!!! :teeth: ) I was born and raised in Lakewood, then I moved out to Bronco country...still love the Browns and still hate the Broncos!!!!

Neen it is.

cass'mom
10-06-2005, 04:12 PM
Oooh... two-foxes is a west sider... shall we discuss the division between the west side suburbs and the east side suburbs (where I live!)? :rotfl2: You must be so hated out in Bronco country!!! You know how much we like them here! Go Brownies! (Our cry every year and forever...)

Ethelina
10-06-2005, 05:49 PM
Too close to call.....but I think so far the "neen" 's are ahead.......I think I like saying it with a low southern drawl....bo- (9) This has been fun to read!! :rotfl:

Ethelina

MelissaE1
10-06-2005, 06:12 PM
Oh my gosh, this thread is hilarious. At our house it's bo-neen.

karylrocks
10-06-2005, 06:41 PM
Well, I guess I have always thought of it as bo(9), but after reading all the arguments I have been swayed to the "neen" side. Maybe we should post a poll....

Aisling
10-06-2005, 07:05 PM
I'm a pharmacy school dropout, but I do remember one piece of info, and that is if the chemical ends in "ine", it's pronounced "een". But what about iodine and urine?, I asked my prof. Well, he said we all should be saying iodeen and ureen. :confused3

Colorado DISers
10-06-2005, 08:32 PM
:earboy2: It's Bo-Ten out here in Colorado due to the elevation.

I'm also a Donkey(Bronco)Hater. Being from NJ I'm a life long GIANTS fan.

GO YANKEES!

DIS NURSE
10-07-2005, 12:13 AM
All that I care is that is available for free outside the medical clinic onboard, right? :confused3

Can anyone confirm that Bonine is available outside the clinic 24 hours a day if you get there and suddenly decide you are seasick? :confused3

Thank you! We are sailing in less than 30 days on our first DCL cruise! :cool1:

coriedorie
10-07-2005, 01:09 AM
I love playing with words...always told my kids to "look it up". I did a search and found the Mercksource site that stated the proper pronounciation is bow-neen. This will help me as much as anyone else, because I was saying bah-neen!! :blush: Thanks for bringing the question out into the open! :wave2:

MelissaE1
10-07-2005, 01:14 AM
the Mercksource site that stated the proper pronounciation is bow-neen.

So is that "bow" rhymes with "ow" or "bow" rhymes with "oh"? :rotfl2:

coriedorie
10-07-2005, 01:19 AM
So is that "bow" rhymes with "ow" or "bow" rhymes with "oh"? :rotfl2:
:rotfl2: :rotfl2: Well...lets just look that up!!! :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

two-foxes
10-07-2005, 08:54 AM
All that I care is that is available for free outside the medical clinic onboard, right? :confused3

Can anyone confirm that Bonine is available outside the clinic 24 hours a day if you get there and suddenly decide you are seasick? :confused3

Thank you! We are sailing in less than 30 days on our first DCL cruise! :cool1:

It is not the brand name, bonine, but it is still available from guest services or medical (at least it was about a year ago, but I can't ever see that changing!) I thought the stuff worked great. I had a patch on for the first cruise that worked great, but then I got some of the stuff in my eyes and I switched to the free stuff. It was great!

I am stubborn and refuse to change. It will always be ba-neen to me!!! Darn kids knowing how to use the internet today.....okay, I admit, I tried to look it up, too! I just couldn't find it! :blush:

TheWog
10-07-2005, 11:42 AM
Well, I guess I have always thought of it as bo(9), but after reading all the arguments I have been swayed to the "neen" side. Maybe we should post a poll....

Bo(9), Bo(7) Canadian. :teeth:

GhostlyHitchhiker
10-07-2005, 12:09 PM
I'll add another vote for Bo-neen. I'm usually a stickler for pronunciation/spelling, but I hadn't even thought about this one before. :)