PDA

View Full Version : Amish Bread - Starter bag

littleclover
10-05-2005, 09:13 PM
Hello all - I am looking for the basic recipe for the Amish (cinnamon) bread. I made this once before when someone gave me a bag but am unsure how to make a starter bag? I have a couple of friends who frequently ask me so I would love to have this info typed up and stored in my recipe book rather than my computer (which crashed)

AZ JazzyJ
10-05-2005, 11:42 PM
Maybe the Amish cursed your computer and made it crash because you used technology to type up their recipe.

I don't remember the whole recipe but I do remember the first few steps.

Get a sheep
Shear sheep
Create thread from sheep wool
Weave thread into fabric
Sew fabric into bag shape
Get together with all the other Amish guys and raise a barn
Make bread
Put bread in bag
Take buggy and donkey to the meadow to see Amish Ballet
Yell, "Ye Go Thee Girl!"
That's all I can remember. But I did find a photo from the ballet.
http://www.nowhitting.com/family/jeff/images/amish_250.jpg
Yeah there's nothing quite like raising a barn while dancing in tights to make you forget all about electricity.

Jeff

littleclover
10-05-2005, 11:51 PM
Alrighty, thanks for the help.

graygables
10-06-2005, 01:56 AM
As someone who lives not far from the Amish and respects their choices in their religion, I will try to overlook Jeff's infantile response.

Now, to answer your question...

Amish Friendship Bread Starter:

INGREDIENTS:

* 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
* 1/4 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
* 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
* 3 cups white sugar, divided
* 3 cups milk

DIRECTIONS:

1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Let stand 10 minutes. In a 2 quart container glass, plastic or ceramic container, combine 1 cup flour and 1 cup sugar. Mix thoroughly or flour will lump when milk is added. Slowly stir in 1 cup milk and dissolved yeast mixture. Cover loosely and let stand until bubbly. Consider this day 1 of the 10 day cycle. Leave loosely covered at room temperature.
2. On days 2 thru 4; stir starter with a spoon. Day 5; stir in 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk. Days 6 thru 9; stir only.
3. Day 10; stir in 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk. Remove 1 cup to make your first bread, give 2 cups to friends along with this recipe, and your favorite Amish Bread recipe. Store the remaining 1 cup starter in a container in the refrigerator, or begin the 10 day process over again (beginning with step 2).

Amish Friendship Bread:

INGREDIENTS:

* 1 cup Amish Friendship Bread Starter
* 2/3 cup vegetable oil
* 3 eggs
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 cup white sugar
* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease 2 (9x5 inch) loaf pans.
2. In a large bowl, combine the Amish bread starter with oil, eggs, 2 cups flour, 1 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Mix well. Pour into prepared loaf pans.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes.

littleclover
10-06-2005, 10:03 AM
Thank you graygables!

Beth E. (NJ)
10-06-2005, 03:37 PM
Sorry you found AZ Jazzy J's remark bothersome Graygables. As a long time follower of his posts I understand that he has an offbeat sense of humor. He was not trying to be offensive I'm sure.