PDA

View Full Version : Brads and how to use them...help

twinz
10-05-2005, 07:01 PM
I have no idea how to use brads (they are those little eyelet thingies right?) I think they are soo cute, can anyone help me on how to use them, I got them in a kit and would hate for them to go to waste. Thanks

goofymom/pop
10-05-2005, 10:37 PM
with prongs on them. I just punch a tiny hole in whatever and push them through and bend out the prongs. Sometimes I will back the item so you don't see the prongs, but mostly I just adhere it to the page.

I use them here and there, to add demision to a square, a border, a journaling box etc. Like to put a little cluster of them together. Hope this helps

AZ JazzyJ
10-05-2005, 11:22 PM
I have no idea how to use brads (they are those little eyelet thingies right?)

I think Brads are small red-headed boys with lots of freckles. I use them like I do any other child, I make them mow the lawn and take out the garbage.

Jeff

pppiglet
10-06-2005, 12:36 AM
I think brads and eyelets are 2 separate things. I have used brads as the above poster did, but I have no clue how to use eyelets. I think you need some kind of tool to put those in.

AZ JazzyJ
10-06-2005, 01:24 AM
I have no clue how to use eyelets. I think you need some kind of tool to put those in.

I'm not positive but I think you have to go to Optometry school before you are allowed to use specialized tools to install eye lets. Although, the last time I had my driver's license renewed the lady tried to install an eyelet into my forehead during the eye examination when I suggested the last line on her eye chart actually said, "If you can read this you're too close to my bumper."

Jeff

galtscrapper
10-06-2005, 02:06 AM
TWISTED sense of humor there!!!! LOL

Eyelets: You need a hole punch and an eyelet setter. I would recommend Karen Foster's eyelet setter, can't remember the name, but it's got the hole punch AND setter, you can buy embossers for it, but I've heard they're not so great, but the setter is awesome. So you punch a hole in the paper, put the eyelet through, and then set it on the backside w/ the setter. It helps if you can have someone demonstrate this to you... but I will give you this one piece of advice: use a very stable surface... the plastic tables many of us use to do our scrapbooking on are HORRIBLE for eyelet setting... use your kitchen counter, a sturdy desk, something that WON'T wobble when you set the eyelet.

Brads: Just as was said above... create a small hole (I usually just poke my scissors in the paper), put the brad though, and bend the prongs flat.. that's all there is to THAT, they're very easy to use :)

Sarah

nicurn
10-06-2005, 07:14 AM
I use my giant thumbtack (courtesy of target of course) to make holes for the brads and I'm beginning to like my provocraft silent setter for eyelets, just twist basically. (it's silent and doesn't drive my dog nuts so that's good). maggie

goofymom/pop
10-06-2005, 08:00 AM
I'm not positive but I think you have to go to Optometry school before you are allowed to use specialized tools to install eye lets. Although, the last time I had my driver's license renewed the lady tried to install an eyelet into my forehead during the eye examination when I suggested the last line on her eye chart actually said, "If you can read this you're too close to my bumper."

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Jeff you are truly gifted....although I am not sure what your gifted with, I will have to ask Trina and the kids.

JudithM
10-06-2005, 08:29 AM
I think Brads are small red-headed boys with lots of freckles. I use them like I do any other child, I make them mow the lawn and take out the garbage.Jeff

Does Dakota have red hair :)?

To the OP, someone from this board mentioned she keeps a straight pin near her sb supplies to use to make the whole to attach the brad. I find it works well.

onedisneylover
10-06-2005, 10:57 AM
ok, what is it that we are talking about??? brads or eyelets???

i would strongly suggest before making any eyelet setters that you try them before you buy them...if you have an lss, they will usually let you try something before you buy it.

as with the karen foster clickit, the one mentioned above, people either love it or hate it...there are a bunch of eyelet setters out there, and it is just a trial and error kind of thing...you just have to find one that is most comfortable for you to use.

twinz
10-09-2005, 11:02 AM
Thanks for all the help...Now to get the time to try them out!
Jeff....you had some great comment! LOL TOO FUNNY! :rotfl:

galtscrapper
10-09-2005, 11:19 AM
ok, what is it that we are talking about??? brads or eyelets???

i would strongly suggest before making any eyelet setters that you try them before you buy them...if you have an lss, they will usually let you try something before you buy it.

as with the karen foster clickit, the one mentioned above, people either love it or hate it...there are a bunch of eyelet setters out there, and it is just a trial and error kind of thing...you just have to find one that is most comfortable for you to use.

This is very true. I have NO LESS than 3 eyelet setters. I have the clikit, which I LOVE, I have the MM one (somewhere around here), I have a spring loaded one I like to use in a pinch, and it's nice and portable, and I have one I bought specifically for setting Mickey eyelets from Disney so the paint won't chip (though I've discovered that it's just the paint on the prongs that chips, though I also think they may have changed companies that make their eyelets so they're better now) So I guess I have four eyelet setters. That clickit is my favorite though...BUT, you have to use it like 4 tims on most eyelets to get them flat, which is why they don't work so well on the Mickey ones.

I also have two hole punchers, the clickit has a set of hole punches, and then I have a universal hole punch I bought for 40 dollars-forget the company, but I don't think they're making the tool anymore anyway. Not that I've seen anyway. Anyway, the hole punching capability is another reason I'd recommend the clickit, so you don't have to buy a separate tool for that. But she's right, try them before you buy, because they all have different capabilities, and some are better than others. The clickit does require some strength.
Another one to consider is ProvoCraft's SlientSetter, but be aware, that's another "love it or hate it" tool... pretty much any and all eyelet setters are that way, that's why you should find the one you like the best before buying it. :)

Sarah

onedisneylover
10-10-2005, 01:25 PM
galtscrapper/sarah is also correct on the setters...

the provo craft silent setter only works on "soft" eyelets...only ones made from alluminum. like doodlebug eyelets. and let me tell you, this takes major strength.

i recently went to a weekend crop where we/she did an eyelet setter demo. i am so glad that she did that (even though i own 3/5 of the ones she demo'd) i am obviously a major tool junkie and i have always wondered about the karen foster clickit. that one, out of all the ones she demo'd, i liked the least. i am so glad that i saw it in action...cuz, i am always tempted to buy it when i have an extra 40% or 50% off coupon. this to me is 1. too many little objects to loose if you drop the box (just picture yourself crawling on the floor under the table at a crop) 2. box is not portable enough 3. eyelets just didn't set as nicely as some others 4. took too many clicks on harder eyelets...

now, i like my mm instant setter. sets those mickey eyelest great with the cone shaped tip...won't crack the paint and it won't make the ears bend down ward.

there is also another one that i like, that i want to get, but i have so many already...so i am really showing restraing...it is the ready set one. that one works awesome, especially with that metal backed utilimat.

so, like sarah and i differ, you can see that it is worth your time and moeny to try them out, because you'll find one that you will like.

galtscrapper
10-10-2005, 01:54 PM
Well, all the points is exactly why I DO like the clikit... though you're right, it's not very portable. I have another setter for that. It does take too many sets for harder eyelets-that annoys me too. I just "live with it" and keep punching down on the handle. It seems like it's impossible NOT to end up with multiple eyelet setters, if you get into eyelets at all. I use them ALL the time on swaps, so I like the clickit for speed of setting. I do take it to crops, just stuff it somewhere in my XXL, but I also have my little spring loaded one just in case. I never use my MM one-can't find it, and I don't use the other one I bought either, sadly enough. I should, as it just works great on the Mickey eyelets. I bought it because my LSS had it, I used it one night on the Mickey eyelets, and they just set like THAT, no issues whatsover, so I waited for a 40% off coupon from my LSS, and bought it then.

Sarah