PDA

View Full Version : Do you power layout before a crop

goofymom/pop
10-05-2005, 09:21 AM
just curious how many of you get your pages all organized with stickers, embellies, paper etc. all ready for a crop?

I did the last crop and wow did I get a lot done.

If you do what methods do you use, any tips?What is the best way you have found to stay organized at a crop away from home?

Spinning
10-05-2005, 09:28 AM
I don't. I htink you have to be a very organized person to do that. Which needless to say I am not. What I have found to help me get those most out of my crop time is to have my stuff organized by this I mean easy to access at the table.
I also decide before hand what my main pages I plan to do IE school, vacation sports etc...
Then I will pull all of my embellishments that could work for those pictures I just dont' make up the kits.
I found in the past this works well for me. I at least have some direction.

wtpclc
10-05-2005, 09:33 AM
A lot of time I PowerLayout with just my photos. I need to see how they fi tin pages, but that's enough for me. I try to get a bit of a color scheme and grab that paper, but that varies.

piratesmate
10-05-2005, 10:17 AM
Do you all journal in your own handwriting? Or do you just wait to add the journaling until you get home from the crop? It's still taking me a long time to do a LO because I have to decide what I want to use on the page, then write the journal & then size the journaling, see if the pix need re-sizing, etc, etc, etc. :rolleyes:

So Spinning, please share! How do you organize your stuff at the table? I'm going on Saturday & am still at a loss on how to do this!

And I realized yesterday that my biggest problem is that I use an old Fiskars rotary cutter for my large sheets. It's so big!! I didn't think about this as it isn't really an issue at home...but I feel like it will take up all my space at the crop. And I don't want to have to cut all my paper before I leave - because it takes me forever to power layout....I'd only be set up for about 3 to do all day!

HELP!!!!

Spinning
10-05-2005, 10:42 AM
I have this little fabric holder thingie...it sits on the table and I can put my pens,adhesive, sissors, odds and ends in.
Then i have a a cup holder with a small trash bag....
I have everything in my xlarge crop in style bag, I also but dont' always bring a small white wire shelf that folds. You can use it to store stuff on top and under it sits on the table.
Bascially I try to mark my territory! LOL! not so much for the other people moving into my space but so I don't move into theirs! I like to spread out!
I also try to get an extra chair if possible to sit my tackle box on. This isn't always possible. and I try really hard to get a seat so I am on a corner and my crop bag is to my left.

becky7953
10-05-2005, 10:53 AM
I have pics ready and the paper I want to use with them. Then I take all my stickers and such to the crop. I use my own handwriting for the journaling. I do not get a ton of pages done, but I am satisfied with the amount. :)

piratesmate
10-05-2005, 10:55 AM
Do you remember where you got your wire shelf? I read somewhere that someone picked up one at Wal-Mart, but don't know where in the store, what brand, etc...so I've had a hard time finding one. I know I'm going to need something, but wanted something that will fold so I can transport it.

DH thinks I should just take the plastic tubs I store stuff in around here :rolleyes: but of course they won't fit into the rolling bag!! He just doesn't get why I "want to bother leaving the house with all this stuff!" And I have to confess, right about now I'm not so sure either! :earseek:

I wish I'd opted for the GO in Q'town instead - then my only worry would be how to keep from spending a lot! :rotfl: :rotfl:

Spinning
10-05-2005, 10:57 AM
Organized living sells them. But I think you can get them at Target

wtpclc
10-05-2005, 11:05 AM
Deb -I always journal at home after a crop. Usually it's in my own witing also. I stil cannot journal in a crop environmtan. I typically journal late nights or early mornings when it's quiet.

goofymom/pop
10-05-2005, 12:13 PM
not of fan of journaling at a crop because there are too many distractions. I do mine at home too. Except for the weekend one, I was in a room with only one roomie, so I just said "journaling" and she would clam up for a moment and then back to yacking.

scraphappy92
10-05-2005, 01:34 PM
I do page kits to take with me. I include a sketch, pictures, cardstock, pattern paper, any embellishments I might use such as ribbon, metal accents, etc. and any memorabilia. Also if I get a chance before going to the crop I will do my journaling on the computer and print it out to take with me, especially if I am going to do something like use the mat around the picture to also have the journaling on. (If I don't have time then I do the journaling when I come home.)

I pack my tool bag with eyelets, brads, stamp sets, punches, pens, adhesive, scissors and anything else I might need for the layouts I have planned...usually I pull the tools while I am packing the kits. So if I have a layout I know I will use the circle punch for I pull it out, maybe another I plan eyelets so I pull them out plus that tool kit.

I first packed like this about 2 years ago when we went to TN for a whole weekend of scrapbooking in the smokey mountains with friends. I knew if I wasn't organized I would never get anything done. I ended up completing 65 pages in 2.5 days that weekend. Now it has just become habit for me to pack that way when even attending local crops. I actually hope to work on some kits this weekend so I can go cropping next Friday or Monday when I am off.

Happy cropping everyone!

FantasticDisFamily
10-05-2005, 05:32 PM
A bit of all the above! Which is to say - sometimes I'll do the power layout thing - but as Carrie noted, generally with just the pics (BTW Carrie, can you email me the details on 22nd?).

If I don't do that, at least I know what I want to work on and make sure I have the necessary paper, etc for that. However, my stickers are all in 2 big binders that strap to the pull out handle of my cropper hopper. So I can essentially take them all. :rotfl2:

No way can I lug all the paper though and so I generally have to make some decisions there. My big space saver is I rarely take full books. I use post bound top load so I just take the pages and page protectors. That saves a ton of weight and space.

I organize my tools in my hopper and as for journalling sometimes I do it at a crop - especially if it is labeling of people inthe photos,e tc. But a lot of the time it is at home when I can verify who they are with kids, etc.

Deb

wtpclc
10-05-2005, 06:55 PM
(BTW Carrie, can you email me the details on 22nd?).
Sorry Deb. Finishing new nephew's blanket and visiting him took up all of my free and CM time. Darn him! ;) E-mail with new stuff adn details o its way now. BAsically, same as last time. I'm just so creative!

LindaBabe
10-05-2005, 08:34 PM
Some times I don't feel like scrapping but maybe I can sort, so when I get a pack of new pictures (usually 100 or more at a time from snapfish), I might divide them up into two page spreads and put each into a page protector, stored in a binder album. I have a very very short attention span, so prefer to chip away at it.

Then I'll go through that on another night and add paper - maybe stickers then, too, if i'm inspired. If a photo needs punched with my big oval or circle, I do that in advance too, so I don't have to lug them. Might make computer titles in advance. Finally embellishments like fibers or whatever.

I might have 100 or more pages in that binder, so for a 6 hour crop, I'll take 20 around the same trip or event or color scheme so that I need only pack the limited brad or button colors or punches required. (More page kits than I think I'll need.)

My basic tool kit is 12 inch paper trimmer, cutterbee scissors, adhesives, big square punch, tiny hole punch for brads, pencil, black, gold and silver pens. My LSS has the BIG paper cutter, die cut machines and some punches, so I don't take duplicates. I journal at home, because easily distracted.

I downsized from a Navigator to the smaller crop in style bag because I couldn't lift it, so my whole goal is to lighten my load (fibromyalgia). I take one recently finished album to show, sometimes. Believe it or not, still bring some stuff home unused. lol

Oh, I also keep a running list of things I need to replenish, so when i'm adding things to my page kits, if I need something to complete that kit, I add it to the list and put a note in the page protector (so I can remember where I was going with it - memory is short too!)

mom2grace
10-05-2005, 11:17 PM
I just learned about Finished in Five. The overall concept is to have an album (250-300 photos) completed in 5 3-hour sessions. I learned it from a CMC, but I don't think it's "officially endorsed" by CM!

Anyway, I have been scrapping for 8 years. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this new technique. And, I really think anyone can use it, unless you only put 1-3 pictures on a 12x12 page.

First, you crop all of your pictures as either squares or rectangles, with 5% or less as another shape (circle, oval, octogon, silhouette, etc).

Then, you place your photos on the page working from the middle out (this is working on a 2page spread). So, the inside edges on the pages are mostly pictures, but there will be room around the top, far sides, and bottom potentially.

Next, you add a journaling box somewhere on the page.

Then, you decide what type of embellishments, papers, etc to use. And, you have them fit into the open space.

And you are finished.

Now, I love this because there is very little "blank space" showing. I generally do not wallpaper, and this technique is very appealing to the eye.

I recommend you try it once on an event (I did our honeymoon pics from 8 years ago). I was very skeptical, but I am totally sold now. The pictures really pop out at you. I think this is mostly due to the lack or open page/paper.

It's a variation of the power layout technique. They recommend that you crop all of your pictures for an entire album first, but I just do it on an ongoing basis. It is very important to stick to only 1 or 2 or none odd shapes.

Also, if you have memorabilia or embellishments that you want on the page, I suggest that you include them in the picture stage if they are large. This way, they will fit in and you won't be worried about how to fit them in.

Before I go to a crop, I have all of my photos cropped, and stickers, etc organized by event. I take all of my paper, but I don't have a ton of patterned paper.

AZ JazzyJ
10-05-2005, 11:20 PM
I'm curious, if you drink while you organize do you refer to the place as a "Power Bar"?

Jeff

goofymom/pop
10-06-2005, 08:04 AM
I think we had one of those at our weekend crop.....oh boy it did make some of the ladies really "power"ful.....lol!! :teeth:

goofymom/pop
10-06-2005, 08:06 AM
mom2grace can you post a pic of a layout. Sounds interesting to me. I love to color block a page, no white showing hardly at all. Love the look esp for those pics you want in but do not have enough of. I make a page that is just different shots of our trips. All mixed up but looks really cool! I just wish coloring blocking were a little less time consuming.

mom2grace
10-06-2005, 11:34 AM
mom2grace can you post a pic of a layout. Sounds interesting to me. I love to color block a page, no white showing hardly at all. Love the look esp for those pics you want in but do not have enough of. I make a page that is just different shots of our trips. All mixed up but looks really cool! I just wish coloring blocking were a little less time consuming.

I will this weekend!

galtscrapper
10-07-2005, 02:24 AM
I do try to put page kits together, as completely as possible... I got 30 pages done one night doing this. I can't always do this, due to time and sometimes supply constraints before the crop, but when I do, it works GREAT. When it comes to Disney pages, it can be difficult for me, since I don't paper piece, so I have to swap or pif/snag unusual character items... which means sometimes I'm waiting to do pages.

Journaling: A really neat, useful trick I learned is to do your journaling on vellum, which will go on anything with either vellum spray or brads or eyelets, and it looks really classy.

Sarah

goofymom/pop
10-07-2005, 08:51 AM
Sarah .....what is vellum spray??? Is it a way to put it down with out the adhesive showing.....oh my where do I get it!!!!!!!

I hate to have the little dots showing through....

Mom2grace I will be looking forward to your post with the pics! Thanks!

piratesmate
10-07-2005, 09:07 AM
I've seen that vellum spray, but it's so expensive I just skipped it. :( From what I understand, though, you do just spray it on the vellum & it then sticks to the paper/CS. Usually I just use eyelets to attach my vellum, but I have also used a glue stick on the corners & then put small die cuts over it - sort of like photo corners.

In my CJ I cut a ghost (Sizzix die) out of blue/purple vellum & then ran it through my Xyron. I really liked the way that worked! I don't know if it would have worked as well on clear or ivory vellum, but you couldn't see any adhesive with what I used.

It doesn't show too well in the photo, but I really liked the effect IRL!! Here's a link to that page: http://www.twopeasinabucket.com/pg.asp?gallery=1&cmd=display&layout_id=634597&show=9

goofymom/pop
10-07-2005, 11:49 AM
kewl page..the little ghost is really cute. Thanks for sharing

I have done what you do, glue stick or adhesive with another piece of cardstock to hide the spot. Looking for another way....using brads is easy too....I have never tried the xyron for this.Will do that as soon as I get a refill for it.

mom2grace
10-08-2005, 04:50 PM
How do I post the picture of the layout?

graygables
10-08-2005, 06:01 PM
I have those 12x12 cubes wired into paper sorters, so I've started putting them in themes. All of my Disney items on one shelf, all of my cruise items, and so on. Some of the embellishments don't fit, so I put those in my parts organizer. That way, I at least have most things sorted before I head out for a crop. I just take that theme's stack and put it in a paper taker. I also sort ribbon by theme and have it clipped in mini-clothespins with a magnet on the back, so it's just a matter of grabbing the one I need off my magnet board and dropping it in my bag.

When I'm working on a client's album, I have a hanging file folder thingy (hangs flat, like a cascade) that I keep all their papers, embellishments, etc in that way, It's just a matter of folding that up and going to a crop. Very quick.

I don't journal at crops b/c I get tired of the table being bumped while I'm trying to write so I save most of that for when I'm home.

piratesmate
10-08-2005, 06:30 PM
Oh my :( I ended up not getting any power layouts done as planned between being sick & other stuff all week. We were there from 8:30 (my fault we were late :( ) until 4:00...I got 4 whole pages done. :sad2:

I had so much trouble packing & then the message was relayed wrong so I took tons of stuff I didn't need (like the CM punches, cutting system, etc) and my bag ended up being so full of stuff I couldn't find anything. I didn't win anything & neither did DDIL - but her sister won 3 things!! :earseek:

I had a great time anyway - although I'm really shot now. I'm ready for bed! LOL I took all my Sizzix dies and other ladies were glad because they used them. Unfortunately, I never got around to cutting out anything that they'd brought. The only thing I cut was a title using my own alpha! LOL I could have stayed home & done that. ;)

But I did an awful lot of enabling while I was there. :teeth: Three people are looking to buy a Sizzix now, four people wrote down the URL for Creative Express ;), a couple decided that eyelets looked like fun & went home with the URL for Bargain Pack.... :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

I did see the Perfect Layers while I was there. So now I'm thinking I'd really like to have that! Anyone get it from somewhere other than QVC?? Just wondering where to look....

If I go to another crop, I'm definitely going to buckle down & do some better planning - even if it can't actually be called "power layout" - ing!

goofymom/pop
10-08-2005, 09:17 PM
Mom2grace...I upload my photos to photobucket.com....its free and then I post a link by copy/paste method in my thread here. Hope this helps because I really want to see your layouts.

Piratesmate.....glad you could continue the tradition of enabling. I have sent a good many girls to creativexpress lately.

Perfect layers can also be found in stampin up catalogs, at least thats were I think I saw it.

Cindy

scraphappy92
10-08-2005, 09:26 PM
Perfect layers is an exclusive item to QVC and it sells out almost every time it is on the air. I have had mine for two years and love it!

galtscrapper
10-09-2005, 01:32 AM
All right, all right, someone remind me what Perfect layers is... I think I looked at this tool once and thought, not for me, but WHY do you guys like it? It's funny, because I hardly ever use my xyron, but everyone else swears by them... I use my Carl trimmer, my scissors, my wire winder and my eyelet setters the most often of all my tools... almost everything else is just an occasional use item only.

Sarah

piratesmate
10-09-2005, 09:34 AM
All right, all right, someone remind me what Perfect layers is... I think I looked at this tool once and thought, not for me, but WHY do you guys like it? It's funny, because I hardly ever use my xyron, but everyone else swears by them... I use my Carl trimmer, my scissors, my wire winder and my eyelet setters the most often of all my tools... almost everything else is just an occasional use item only.

Sarah

I didn't actually see the girl use it - she just explained it to me & it looked great! It looks really simple - I think a woman designed it! ;) (just kidding) It was just a clear ruler with lines for how large you want your mat to be. She said you put your photo on CS, lay the ruler over it (the lines under it line up with edge of photo) & cut along the edge of the ruler!

I did go look it up on Google last night & saw some negative reviews. I didn't realize that you cut with an exacto knife - and I know many people have trouble using them. Some said that the ruler moves too easily & they got crooked lines. :confused3 I find that the CM shapes tend to move on me (I'm getting better though) .... I think that perhaps it's just a matter of practice with both. What would concern me more would be the knife cutting into the edge of the ruler. I've done that before over the years :rolleyes: when using an X-acto knife. Does anyone know if the ruler is a really hard plastic that doesn't succumb too easily to the knife?

Re: the Xyron...I was extremely disappointed when I first tried to use mine. I had adhesive everywhere, the CS split (half stuck to clear sheet & half to the bottom sheet), I had trouble placing things inside the "X" ..... After figuring out what my problems were I really like it! I use it mostly for titles, but use it with clip art, small die cuts and even used it on a small shaker box (on the foam). Now I wish I had a wider one!! (Hmmm - if I can find a place to store it, maybe I'll use that 60% Mikes coupon on one! :teeth: )

galtscrapper
10-09-2005, 11:10 AM
Yea, I went and looked it up on QVC, and I remembered that I felt like I didn't need it, because 1) My trimmer I can do the same thing with 2) My math is good enough that I don't need a tool to tell me the measurements, and 3) I almost always do a half an inch mat anyway... I have no use for the other sizes.
And you're right about the knife, but why should I spend good money for a tool when the tool I have works perfectly, and I don't get crooked cuts with it? That's my reasoning, anyway.
Now the xyron... it's just tucked away. I have a 510 that I like, but I forget to use it. I love shaker boxes, so may have to try the trick w/ the foam. I always use tombow mono multi glue for my shakers, just because it sticks so well and I don't have them falling apart anymore.

Thanks!

Sarah

mom2grace
10-09-2005, 05:42 PM
Here are the links for the Finished in 5 samples.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a19/scoreilly/Summer2005033.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a19/scoreilly/Summer2005031.jpg

goofymom/pop
10-09-2005, 07:26 PM
that looks like a great way to get a lot done. It looks alot like color blocking but less trimming and filling in.

Nice pages too!
Great job and thanks for the handy tip!

cindy

Spinning
10-10-2005, 09:56 AM
Piratesmate
I was in target on Friday and they have the fold up wire shelves in the kitchen department. I think they are $5.99 or $6.99 But a nice size.

piratesmate
10-10-2005, 03:26 PM
Piratesmate
I was in target on Friday and they have the fold up wire shelves in the kitchen department. I think they are $5.99 or $6.99 But a nice size.

Thanks Spinning! Too bad I didn't check my computer one last time before I left this morning. I was right in the Target parking lot too. :( I was just in a hurry to get to my parents so I just used my 60% at Mikes & left. I'll look for them next time I'm down there for sure!