PDA

View Full Version : Watch your bags -- Embarkation Ruined

driver
10-03-2005, 07:51 AM
I was on the 9/29 3-day Wonder cruise and our embarkation was ruined because someone left a bag unattended in the cruise terminal. At approximately 11:50 a.m. (yes - 10 minutes before they let us on the ship) they cleared the entire terminal. Evidently this bag was unattended for quite a while and had no tags, etc. Nobody claimed it so they called in the drug-sniffing dogs (two) and eventually called in the bomb squad (with sirens blaring). First we were evacuated to the parking lot for about an hour. (They also stopped all in-coming traffic so I have no idea what those folks did.) The crew and staff were in the dark as much as we were so weren't able to provide any answers. I felt bad for them. They did hand out bottled water and then moved us to the Royal Carribean teriminal so we wouldn't have to wait in the heat. At about 2:15 p.m. they cleared the DCL terminal and everyone was able to get back in and get on board. By the time we got on board it was 3:00 (which was when we were supposed to meet our fellow DISers so that didn't happen either). We hadn't eaten ahead of time so we would be hungry at the embarkation lunch. We didn't pack any snacks either so we were famished by the time we got on. Eating a late lunch also affected our early dinner. They ended up moving the going away party and muster so our first day was kind of a bummer because of all the confusion, etc.

I appreciate the great lengths that DCL went to in keeping all the passengers safe. It is very tough in these days and times. However, I wonder how bad that passenger feels for putting all their shipmates through that because of their absent-mindedness?

Please keep an eye on all your bags and put tags on all your bags - even your carry-ons.

I'm getting off my soap-box now - thanks. ;)

DrCavin
10-03-2005, 08:31 AM
Someone posted that it was delayed boarding for you... http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=923452

Now we know the real story... :-)

webray
10-03-2005, 08:38 AM
That is definately a better safe than sorry situation.

I never did understand though why people don't eat breakfast before they head to the terminal in the morning, knowing full well you don't get to eat again until lunch time. I always wondered if these people also do not feed their children breakfast at home.

driver
10-03-2005, 08:41 AM
We did eat breakfast that morning - we just didn't eat anything after breakfast or bring any snacks because we figured we would be eating around 12:30ish at the latest.

Lesson learned - so we will be sure to bring snacks next time.

PoohJen
10-03-2005, 09:14 AM
Your point is well taken! I would have been very frustrated and disappointed by the wait. Yes, of course I (as well as the OP, I suspect) would be thankful that the necessary precautions were taken. But I would still be disappointed by the delay, regardless of the cause. (esp for a 3 day!)

And yes, it's only made all the more maddening when so many were impacted simply due to someone's carelessness.

I hope the rest of your trip was simply Wonderful!! :sunny:

ernste40
10-03-2005, 11:21 PM
We were in the group that was diverted at noon pulling into the terminal to hopefully spend most of the day on the ship. (We figured, if we paid for the 4 days, we might as well use the time and food on the ship!) They placed us in a parking lot where we waited for about an hour. At that point, one of the Disney workers, with a Disney namebadge and the uniform worn in the terminal, came around and told us it would be another hour and that we should leave the lot, go visit the local businesses in Cocoa Beach to pass the time, return in an hour and we would be all set. He also said that lunch would be extended, so we could get it as soon as we got on board an hour later. Well, we did as told, returned in an hour, when we were diverted to another parking lot from which we could see that the lot we had been in had been cleared an allowed on the ship. From the lot we were in, we ended up waiting for another couple of hours in th car, followed by two hours in line at the terminal to check in. So, after being one of the first to the ship, we ended up being among the last ten people who boarded the ship at 5:30. This meant, we had to find our room on a ship we'd never been to, run to the delayed safety run-through and ended up having way too little rime on the ship with a three night cruise.

We understood that the situation was rare and it was better safe than sorry, but the whole "among the first there, but the last allowed on" thing was exceedingly frustrating! We felt like we really lost what was going to be our only non-shore day we could spend enjoying the ship's amenities. Plus, after expecting and being promised lunch, we were famished. Hopefully no one else will have to go through this!

snelsonbrown
10-04-2005, 01:20 AM
I am not going to say "I told you so", but I have posted my phone numbers a bunch of times for a "just in case" - Now only one other time that I remember such a havoc happening and that was when the mattress were being changed out and one of the dogs picked up what was to turn out to be the smell of fertilizer. Anyhow the number of cruisers that called me, escapes me now, but what I did was kept calling the port until there was a clearing up and then when everyone called me, I informed them - some went to the beach and relaxed, some went and had lunch, and some just went back to the hotel they were staying and relaxed around the pool - I had several that came to the shop - anyhow I realize that it is a fusteration to hang out especially with children and not know what is happening - DCL did its best to keep you out of harm's way and unfortunalty everything takes time to clear up such a mess - I am so sorry you didn't call me or the shop - listen Norm was out there just as it shut down, but it was before he went through the bridges - he did have a chance to get out and we kept calling the port until it was clearned -
Sorry you had such a horrible time waiting - if and when there is a next time, just call me ok
Blessing always
Shirley
800-950-4550

JayneML
10-04-2005, 10:25 AM
Sounds like a terrible experience ~ so sorry this happened to you.

Echo queen
10-04-2005, 08:03 PM
Shirley, I just put your number in my palm pilot. :flower: I don't leave home without it. :sunny: