PDA

View Full Version : Our Tie Dye Mickey shirts got LOTS of attention!

Beck's mom
10-02-2005, 08:44 PM
We had a group of 8 wearing the Mickey tie dye shirts last Tuesday. We didn't realize how much we stood out til we all headed for the park and as we walked along, we saw heads turning constantly! :blush: I cannot count how many times we were asked if we made them, where we bought them, how great they looked, how we couldn't lose anyone that way, etc. (It's true that the kids were always easy to spot!) :earboy2:

We were also surprised about how many other people we saw wearing them! It was fun but my sis-in-law was glad we only had to wear them one day.

So here is a pic of the 4 kids shirts. The adult ones were similar - primary colors for the boys, bright colors for the girls.

Was anyone else there last week wearing theirs? We sure saw some cute ones!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/melissa89n/f4bdd038.jpg

ReAnSt
10-02-2005, 09:05 PM
The four of us wore our tie dye Mickey's on Sunday, September 18th when we got on the Disney Wonder and on Friday, September 23 at MGM and EPCOT. We got quite a bit of attention at MGM we got selected to be the family that participated in the Pre-show for the Backstage Lot tour. Where they have the boats and do the scene footage that they put together with the pre-shot film.

At Le Cellier one of the cast members thought they were the best shirts they saw. They made our trip fun we heard one boy say to his Mom I want one of those shirts. We actually only saw one othe group that had them on.

Becky

Lachesis00
10-02-2005, 10:46 PM
Very cool. great looking shirts!

disneyeveryyear
10-02-2005, 11:16 PM
They look great!

I did my first 2 tonight (they are soaking as we speak).

I hope mine look 1/2 as good as yours!

Meezers
10-02-2005, 11:28 PM
I really LOVE the one with the pink Mickey! Makes me wish I had a talent for other than organization.

Yes I know someone posted instructions....I got confused reading them....now...give me a computer to run or a high frequency radio to fix...or an antenna to climb...I am good....get me into something "arty"....I get cold sweats!

lewdyan1
10-03-2005, 08:12 AM
We had our on Friday at MNSSHP! Your's look fantastic! :cool1:

Beck's mom
10-03-2005, 08:30 AM
Thanks everyone for the compliments!
Meezers, too bad we can't get together - you could fix my computer and I could make you t-shirts! :teeth:

My tip for getting a sharp Mickey outline is to rubberband the heck out of it - I had about an inch of rubber bands on super tight so the dye didn't bleed through. I also stitched the outline with dental floss - sounds difficult, but it really only took about 10 minutes per shirt to do that.

Good luck with yours, disneyeveryyear! :flower:

we3disneygo
10-03-2005, 09:44 AM
Great shirts ! I can't wait to make mine. :cool1:

onedisneylover
10-03-2005, 09:50 AM
first of all, awesome awesome shirts.........they combine 2 of my favorite things....tie die and the mickey icon!!!

second of all can somebody either post the instructions again, or point me to where they are posted....so i don't have to go through all 5-6 pages of the homemade t-shirt thread?

MicMin
10-03-2005, 09:54 AM
The shirts look great! Nice job.

DisneyArk
10-03-2005, 10:16 AM
Your shirts look great!! Thanks for sharing the picture!!

I'm inspired to try to make these for our next trip. :earsgirl:

disneyeveryyear
10-03-2005, 12:04 PM
Onedisneylover - If noone posts the link before I get home from work and the Dr., I will post two different ones for you. The visuals really helped me.

MomOf2DisneyKids
10-03-2005, 04:20 PM
those are GREAT!! I reaaalllllllllly want one but I soooooo don't want to make one, LOL! :rolleyes1

:wave:

onedisneylover
10-03-2005, 06:50 PM
disneyeveryyear....

becks mom did give me some instructions, but if you have some with visuals, that would be awesome!!! i have to have pics to go along with instructions...just to make sure i am doing it right!!!

thanks for posting, and i can't wait to make one!!! as soon as i see some pics...

Meezers
10-03-2005, 11:05 PM
MicMin....I just LOVE that sparkly picture in your sig!

Beck's mom
10-05-2005, 11:02 AM
Disneyeveryyear, how did your shirts turn out?

Did you find the pics you were going to post? I never saw any pics, but I think they would help Karen with hers!

Melissa

disneyeveryyear
10-05-2005, 11:49 AM
Here are my shirts:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a194/disneyeveryyear/turquoisetie-dye2.jpg
Not bad, but I don't like that funky U shape showing up on the bottom

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a194/disneyeveryyear/pinktie-dye.jpg
Love this color combo, but same U shape since they were made at same time

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a194/disneyeveryyear/princess1.jpg
Another shirt I happened to make for DN

disneyeveryyear
10-05-2005, 11:59 AM
Here is the post with pictures:

http://disboards.com/showpost.php?p=9846876&postcount=5096

I have never had problems seeing the pics before, but today all I get are little red x

Can't figure out how to quote from one thread to another, sorry.

Beck's mom
10-05-2005, 12:12 PM
I think the photobucket website is down. :guilty:

I can't wait to see your shirts!

Melissa

disneyeveryyear
10-05-2005, 12:17 PM
My first two shirts are shown above, can you not see them? They are showing up for me, but Shriva's aren't.

disneyeveryyear
10-05-2005, 12:21 PM
Sorry Beck's mom, I sent my PM to the wrong person, you obviously know how to make them already :goodvibes .

I wish mine had looked as nice as yours. I may try some more severe rubber banding on the next ones. I like the "white" on yours.

My kids tie dyed their own last night. Can't wait to see what these look like! :rotfl:

scrapcreator
10-05-2005, 02:04 PM
Absolutely awesome t-shirts! :cool1:

Now I want to make some.

Jeanne

disneyeveryyear
10-05-2005, 02:23 PM
Jeanne-

I am assuming your mean Beck's mom's t-shirts, because mine aren't nearly as cute.

I am going to do another couple tonight and will try to post step by step photos.

lizz5
10-05-2005, 06:08 PM
Becks mom- we were there last week and we got lots of attention in our tye dyes!! We were in MGM last weds the 28th, and we dined at WCC that evening and everywhere we went we got lots of compliments and people wanting to know where I had bought them. Dh, who had not been too crazy about them in the beginning, had so much fun with the CM's and other people complimenting us on our shirts he wanted me to wash them so we could wear them again!! That didn't happen but they really were fun!! :flower:

liz

Beck's mom
10-05-2005, 07:08 PM
disneyeveryyear, your shirts are GREAT! I love how colorful they are!
The Mickey head is very obviously a Mickey head - we had one flub-up where it looked like a koala bear, and yours are nothing like that!
Great job!!!

The part on the bottom kind of reminds me of a reflection...it's kind of cool!
I would be proud to wear those shirts - don't sell yourself short!

I love the princess one too!
How fun! princess:

Hey Liz, we were at Whispering Canyon on Friday and one of the waiters said he saw some people earlier in the week wearing Mickey tie dye shirts! That must have been you!!! Cool!!! :cool1:

Melissa

disneyeveryyear
10-05-2005, 11:35 PM
Melissa,

Thanks for the compliment. As I mentioned before on one of these threads, the kids' shirts were done last night. DD6 wanted to dye her own. I was terribly afraid, but thought, what do I have to lose? I should have known better than to doubt her. Please understand that I did band it, but she chose every color and placement. It is awesome!!!! :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: See for yourself.

Here is the front of her shirt

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a194/disneyeveryyear/c41cd015.jpg

Here is the back:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a194/disneyeveryyear/3a077737.jpg

I did this one as a redo for DS11 - front of shirt

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a194/disneyeveryyear/bd069d64.jpg

back of shirt:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a194/disneyeveryyear/c177b6c0.jpg

I find that I really prefer the brighter colors. DS wanted turquoise, blue, purple, etc. I added the lime green and a little yellow to help brighten it up.

I have sewn and banded two more tonight, kids are off school tomorrow and we will be dying then.

FYI - my mother saw the three I had dyed and the 1 DD6 had dyed. She asked DD6 to dye hers :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: . I guess I know where I rate.

DisneyArk
10-06-2005, 08:34 AM
Becks mom- we were there last week and we got lots of attention in our tye dyes!! We were in MGM last weds the 28th, and we dined at WCC that evening and everywhere we went we got lots of compliments and people wanting to know where I had bought them. Dh, who had not been too crazy about them in the beginning, had so much fun with the CM's and other people complimenting us on our shirts he wanted me to wash them so we could wear them again!! That didn't happen but they really were fun!! :flower:
liz

Thanks for sharing that, it made me LOL! I love it when DH is pleasantly surprised at how cool the ideas on the DIS are!! I'm so glad your shirts went over well. I want to go back to WDW so I can make some cool shirts!! :teeth: :wave2:

lizz5
10-06-2005, 04:05 PM
Disneyark- It was very funny, because when they came out he wanted to know why other people were dressing "normal" for the parks and we had to be so "retro" and then once there he realized maybe "retro" was the way to be!! My mom went with us and we worked on the shirts together. It was a fun project that I would recommend for your next trip!!
Melissa- That was probably us!! Everyone got a good look at our shirts because our kids were sure to tell the server we were on our anniversary trip, and he pulled us up to race eachother around the dining room on the stick horses to celebrate!! Boy the kiddos loved that!!! :blush:

Liz

Beck's mom
10-06-2005, 06:56 PM
Disneyeveryyear-

AWESOME AWESOME shirts!!!!!!!!!! I just love all the colors!!! That is the one thing I didn't like about mine - there was a lot of white and the colors didn't blend well.
Yours are just beautiful!!!! WAY TO GO!!!!! :cheer2:

You are going to have a blast wearing them!!!
Melissa

disneyeveryyear
10-07-2005, 12:14 PM
That is too funny because I thought we needed more white on the shirts.

I guess the grass is always greener on the other side of the street, or at least the Mickey is always cuter on someone else's shirt.

Beck's mom
10-07-2005, 02:00 PM
the Mickey is always cuter on someone else's shirt.

THAT IS TOOO FUNNY!!!!!!!!!! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
It's true we are always our own worst critics.

Melissa

kritter
10-07-2005, 11:54 PM
can someone help me to make the mickey tie dye shirts or tell me how??new here to this thread.. thanks soooooo much,,

disneyeveryyear
10-08-2005, 12:30 AM
Kritter,

I bumped up the thread with the pictures for the tie dye. I believe it is called "Visual Learner" or something similar.

Otherwise, if you left click on my screen name and look at other posts by DEY, you can find where I posted some how-to pictures.

Nank
10-08-2005, 07:49 PM
Wow, yours are gorgeous. Nobody mentioned anything to us the day we wore ours!