PDA

View Full Version : Tulum ruins.

margaritaville_buoy
10-02-2005, 05:32 PM
Anyone tried the Tulum excersion? I am debating wether to do this on my own or go with Disney. The big factor is the possibility of missing the boat if we are delayed. I know they will delay the boat if you are on a Disney booked excursion, but you are out of luck on your own. Also is this a good excursion for a family with kids?

jgalecpa
10-02-2005, 05:35 PM
I can't comment on the Tulum ruins in particular, though I have done many of the Mayan ruins and they are Spectacular.

Amazing. Truly.

However, given the fact that they are on the mainland and the ship lands in Cozumel, I would NEVER do this excursion except with the DCL cruise.

There are too many things that could go wrong.

(And I rarely do a cruise sponsored excursion).

Jim

PirateWife
10-02-2005, 05:41 PM
My DH and I did this tour with DCL in 2003, and it was spectacular--the ruins are amazing (no climbing, however) to see, and the water is absolutely gorgeous! It is a fairly long trip, however, and it was quite hot (we went in November), so I don't know if I'd take young children to it.

We have a DD who is 3 now, and we're going to take her to Paradise Beach when we go this November. :) Can't wait!!

PirateWife pirate:

crisi
10-02-2005, 07:07 PM
We were just down by the ruins staying in a beach house. They were very nice. I'm not sure what the schedule is for the Cozumel trip, but what you would need to do to get to the ruins solo is get from Cozumel to Playa del Carmen. The ruins are about an hour South of Playa (a little less). Mexican road are scary to drive, and if you aren't used to driving in a foreign country, you may wish for the comfort of the tour bus. The ruins are cheap to get in, but you'll want to hire a guide, probably another $30 that would be covered by the sponsored excursion. You want to get there as early as possible - the heat of the day can be oppressive. And wear a swimsuit under your clothes, you can swim right below the ruins on a sandy beach.

If you have time and are on your own, the Yal-ku lagoon in Akumal offers an excellent easy snorkel.

Jeanne B
10-02-2005, 07:23 PM
My DH and I went on our first cruise in January and did all of our excursions on our own. After doing some research on cruisecritic I felt pretty comfortable doing Tulum on our own and it saved us a lot of money. If I recall, we left Cozumel at about 8:30 and we were back in Playa to take the ferry back to Cozumel by 2:30 or 3:00 (we probably spent about 1-1/2 hrs at Tulum). Like Piratewife said, Tulum is spectacular...the water is breathtaking!! It does get very hot there so I'm not sure how enjoyable it would be for children (although there is the nice beach there for cooling off). We went in January and it wasn't bad but I can see how it could be almost unbearable during warmer months. I strongly suggest bringing water no matter what time of year you go.

margaritaville_buoy
10-02-2005, 08:32 PM
Thanks to everyone! This being our first cruise, I don't feel quite brave enough to venture so far from my ride home on our own. :guilty:

macbaby
10-02-2005, 08:34 PM
I went last year (on a diffent cruise line) in mid July. I have never been so hot and so wet from humidity!

The ruins are amazing and the water is so blue (like the banner background above). However, on our tour there was no time to swim unless you skipped the ruins tour. If you go, pack lots of water!