PDA

View Full Version : Just back from Western 9/24-10/01

abfnumberten
10-02-2005, 10:34 AM
My tips to those cruising the western:

Bring many, many disposable camera's, and or make sure your digital has alot of space, and don't forget your charger. Some folks did!!!

Swim shoes if you are planning on going to the beach, and or snorkeling. Grand Cayman beaches were beautiful, but the first two feet into the water were covered with rocks and broken coral. Cozumel beaches were better, and I definitely recommend the cozumel beach break.

Rain poncho's- cheapies from the dollar store, came in handy!!!!

Sand toys for kids, High SPF sunscreen, Sunglasses, alot of folks had to buy them!!!

Air freshener for the bathroom

Extra tops and shorts for kids, my son changed twice a day, because of ice-cream and juice spills.

Laundry on the ship is a hassle. With 2500 people on board, you have to either go early, early am or very late.

Bring your on detergent too, and lots of quarters

Last but not least Cash,Cash,Cash. All the ports accept it, and I would not use my credit card.

Phone cards for those people who don't get a special gratuity, Kids club counselers, a special bartender etc. Most folks are from foreign countries, and they told us they like to call home as much as they can!!!

We had the time of our lives. Good Luck and fair winds and following seas to all of you.

Dreamer04
10-02-2005, 01:16 PM
Thanks for posting and for the tips! I'm glad you had a great time!

whome?
10-02-2005, 01:34 PM
Are the laundry rooms open 24 hours? If not, do you know what the hours are? I know I'll be wanting to do a mid-week load. I imagine sea days (Mon & Thu) are pretty busy. I am an early riser and don't thing I'll be doing an excursion to Grand Camon, so that might work best for me....just need to know how early I can get in.

Thanks!

mommasita
10-02-2005, 01:43 PM
Are the laundry rooms open 24 hours? If not, do you know what the hours are? I know I'll be wanting to do a mid-week load. I imagine sea days (Mon & Thu) are pretty busy. I am an early riser and don't thing I'll be doing an excursion to Grand Camon, so that might work best for me....just need to know how early I can get in.

Thanks!

They do not close, so yes they are open 24 hours a day...I have heard a lot of early risers talking about just how early they did theirs.. :goodvibes

lisa702
10-02-2005, 04:01 PM
My tips to those cruising the western:

Bring many, many disposable camera's, and or make sure your digital has alot of space, and don't forget your charger. Some folks did!!!

I took 500+ photos on our 7 day Eastern last month and was SO glad I remembered the camera dock for recharging! :teeth:

abfnumberten
10-02-2005, 04:17 PM
I know some of my tips might seem simple, but we met several people who forgot chargers. I brought 4 (27) exposure camera's, and ended up buying two more at CC for double the price. I also ran out of video tape for my camera. Also, folks were having dew problems with their video camera's. I have a sony, and did not have that problem. One more thing was goggles for the kids, the water is salty, and I saw so many little one's bawling from the water in thier eyes. I bought the Survival kit, that includes the DCL cooler, and six bottles of Evian water for $14.95. my 3 y/o appreciated some fresh water on his face. Also, no problem bringing bottled water on board.

lisa702
10-02-2005, 06:01 PM
I know some of my tips might seem simple, but we met several people who forgot chargers. I brought 4 (27) exposure camera's, and ended up buying two more at CC for double the price. I also ran out of video tape for my camera. Also, folks were having dew problems with their video camera's. I have a sony, and did not have that problem. One more thing was goggles for the kids, the water is salty, and I saw so many little one's bawling from the water in thier eyes. I bought the Survival kit, that includes the DCL cooler, and six bottles of Evian water for $14.95. my 3 y/o appreciated some fresh water on his face. Also, no problem bringing bottled water on board.

We brought goggles for DD but DH put them on his head and lost them! I saw some little one with salt in their eyes. I felt so bad for them. :guilty: Next time I'll have to remember the drinking water for eyes "just in case" Great tip!

debster
10-03-2005, 07:30 AM
Can you post more specifics on the Cozumel Beach Break?

We are taking this excursion in a few weeks! :cool1:

abfnumberten
10-03-2005, 08:04 AM
We gathered in the Buena Vista Theatre, make sure you have towels before you leave the ship. We had to walk down the pier, up and escalator, through the market place, down the stairs, and to our buses. It was about a 15 minute trip to the park.

When you get off the buses there is a market place where all the locals want a piece of you. We just walked by, and said "on our way back". The park itself is wonderful. There was a roped off area for the " Disney Party". We chose our lounge chairs, and the folks that worked there put up and umbrella for us. Ok, what to do first. There is a nice sized pool, a very large cabana area. massages, waverunners. The paddle-boats, kayaks, hobie-cats are all included. Their is a huge blow-up iceberg out in the water. My husband and I swam out there, but I was not strong enough to pull myself up on it, but he did. My two teens were able to do this also. When you get to the top you slide down. The water is turquoise, and you can snorkel. There are two trampolines floating in the water. We went on them, and watched other folks on them, it was a blast. There is and open bar for Disney, and a authentic mexican buffet.

At first I was weary about eating and or drinking off thes hip because they warn you about the water, but everyone was eating and drinking. The servers said the water was purified for ice-cubes and drinking. Margaritaville for me. Strong and delicious. The food was tasty. It did rain when we were there,but it passed. Everyone held up under the cabana. The customer service on this excursion was top-notch. I felt like I was back on the ship, the people that worked at this resort were so accomodating and friendly.

We were not the only cruisers there, but everyone was pleasant. The party boat pulled in from San miguel and they were having a great time. I guess you purchase your level of service, Our's was the highest. I did not do the waverunners or the massages so i don't know cost. Oh, also there was a little zoo, I kinda felt bad for the animals because it was run-down and kinda flooded from the rain. Our 3 y/o liked it though. Especially, the crocodile. that they feed every two weeks. We really enjoyed this excursion, mostly because so much was included. We went on and excursion in the bahamas last year, and it could hold a candle to this one.

Any other questions let me know???

have a blast!!!!

debster
10-03-2005, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the great description. Makes me even more excited :cool1:

Do you remember if they had childrens life jackets available for the kids? We have a 4 year old and I am tempted to pack his.

debster
10-04-2005, 08:30 AM
Bump for abfnumberten

goofymama
10-04-2005, 08:55 AM
Would it be good for younger kids (4, 5 and 7 ...none of which are strong swimmers)?

abfnumberten
10-04-2005, 02:52 PM
I'm sorry I have not answered, but I had to go back to work UGGGGH!!

They do have some life jackets, but I saw alot of folks with their own, and also those little swim suit jackets, and swimmies for the arms.

It depends on your children, We live in Florida so my son was swimming before he walked. He is 3 and half now, and he did not like the salt water at all!!! he did not snorkel, and or swim out to anything with us. The little one's played in the sand, and were hanging out by the shoreline. A child's cost is $ 39.00. We brought my 3 y/o because the whole family was going. I have teens 15 and 18. Oh, There is a great pool, I forgot. The little guys will love that. not too deep and you can sit right there with them. my little guy loved it!!! We also took him out on the kayak, he sat in between us and the same for the paddle-boats. he enjoyed that. We had him wear one of the park's lifejackets, and he did not mind.