PDA

View Full Version : Cozumel - Chankanaab National Park ?

fidldidi
10-01-2005, 07:03 PM
Looking for opinions on Chankanaab National Park and best way to get there. Cab? How far is it from the port? We'll have kids ages 3 and 6 and are basically looking for something low-stress, fun, easy, safe, where kids can play in the water, etc... I think we can save some $$ by going on our own rather than official excursion, and am interested to hear how this has worked for others.

Western 12/17/2005 - yippee!

1disneymomof2
10-01-2005, 07:25 PM
Looking for opinions on Chankanaab National Park and best way to get there. Cab? How far is it from the port? We'll have kids ages 3 and 6 and are basically looking for something low-stress, fun, easy, safe, where kids can play in the water, etc... I think we can save some $$ by going on our own rather than official excursion, and am interested to hear how this has worked for others.

Western 12/17/2005 - yippee!

I've been to Chankanaab before and LOVED it. We went to Cozumel on our own (not a DC trip) and Chankanaab was THE highlight for me. There's not much else to to on Cozumel unless you are a diver. My husband's a diver, but I'm not. Chankanaab is Beautiful. Lots of great snorkeling in crystal clear warm water (I do snorkel, just too chicken to dive). Tons of palm trees. I suggest getting there early to get a good spot. Or if you go later, just keep walking as far as you can down the beach and you will have a quiet spot if you wish. If I remember correctly I think the cost to get into the park was $11 (this was about 3-4 years ago). Food and drink are extra of course. There's also trails to walk and ponds of fish to look at. I don't know your excursion costs, but the park wasn't a far taxi ride from the cruise ships. I don't think it would cost very much to get there by taxi.
Just writing about makes me miss it.
Have a great time!

Rene'
Martinez, CA
:earsgirl:

cleophus12
10-01-2005, 07:39 PM
My advice is definitely go on your own. Get off the ship as soon as you dock and head straight for the taxis. Any driver will take you there. I do not remember the cost, but the savings over a shore excursion are huge. Also by going early and on your own, you stand a better chance of getting a tiki hut to sit under. Once the excursions get there, the area becomes crowded and tikis are hard to come by. Enjoy. It's a lovely spot. :sunny:

2disneycruzrs
10-01-2005, 08:05 PM
I was there in April on my own, and I believe the taxi was $10 (that includes the tip). The park entrance was $12. I didn't have time to explore it all but I think it was worth it.

DIScruisers4
10-01-2005, 08:26 PM
There is also a small lagoon-type beach area close to the dolphin swim area that would be perfect for your children. I also agree that you should take a taxi on your own (very easy) and get there early. Have a great trip.

musicgirl
10-01-2005, 09:07 PM
Here is a great site.

http://www.caribbeanportreviews.com/CozumelChankanaab.htm

cujobugs
10-01-2005, 09:19 PM
We were just at this park on Wednesday! We booked this on our own at dolphindiscovery.com. We did a package where we swam with dolphins, swam with sea lions, and watched the sea lion show.

The positives: I trusted using the credit cards and eating the food since it was a national park. I felt safe. We had an awesome experience with the dolphins. With the age of your children, you would need to do the dolphin encounter. They would love it.

The negatives: The beach is sort of a lagoon area. We had NO WAVES and young kids often like jumping the waves. So no fun there. The beach where we were located was very small.

I would recommend doing this without Disney. We did. You get off the pier, walk through a mall area, take the elevator downstairs and "poof" there are the taxis. It cost us 10 dollars for a family of 5 to get there. Most of the taxi drivers don't speak English, but they all know where the park is located and they take American dollars. It took about 10-15 minutes to get there.

Hope that helps. Any more questions?

spotncleo
10-02-2005, 06:40 AM
Hi, fidldidi,

Our family is on the same cruise as you. We have 3 children, 8,6,and almost 3. I just booked through dophin discovery for the Royal Swim and the Dolphin Encounter. The encounter is the only one that Disney offers for a excursion but its alot cheaper to book on your own. I believe it is $75 for an adult and $70 for children. We haven't decided if we will stay at the park for the entire day or take another cab to Paradise Beach, the park sounds great though.

If you haven't already found it, there is a cruise meet for our
cruise. Here is the link:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=592402

Laura