PDA

View Full Version : early or late dinner?

Ruth B
10-01-2005, 05:10 AM
Hi
i am booking a 3 night disney cruise for aug 06 and am wondering what dinner time to book?I am travelling on my own with my 10 year old.
I was thinking of the late dinner- as we normally eat later on holiday.
Did anyone find they missed the show's( as i undersatnd with a late dinner that you go to the early shows) and evening partys?( as dinner ran over)

i was hoping having the later dinner we could fit everything in!..... but i'm beginning to wonder?
thanks for your help
Ruth :bitelip:

clten
10-01-2005, 10:00 AM
The only thing we find we miss having later dinner is the beginning of the Pirate Deck Party. The timing of that is really geared toward first seating and kids (if they order off the kids menu, dinner can be served very quickly). But I've also found our servers to be accomodating. They do try to get you out quickly if you really want to. We haven't missed the party the few times we've sailed since they added it but the decks are pretty full by time we arrive. In my opinion, it isn't worth switching to early dinner for.

TooPure4u
10-01-2005, 11:05 AM
i had both early and later seating on my 2 cruises and I actually preferred the late seating....

I always felt I was missing out on something but it still didnt make me want to switch to early seating....

jgalecpa
10-01-2005, 12:32 PM
On our last cruise, we had the early and some friends had the late.

Due to delays, they did miss or arrive late to some nite club events.

However, the last day you get the distinct advantage of a later breakfast (8am vs 645), which is much more civilized.

Jim

dannyb
10-01-2005, 04:53 PM
This is really a matter of personal preference. We have always had the late seating on every cruise we've been on (Disney or otherwise). We enjoy hanging around the pool deck in the late afternoon/early evening when it is cooler and the crowds have gone away and relaxing while everybody else is getting dressed or started with their evening activities.

But, we tend to get chatty w/ our waiters, and that usually means that we're last to be served , and sometimes it can get really, really late before you leave the dining room. I also find that I eat more than I might if we had the early seating, because we need something in the late afternoon to hold us over.

As for the shows, my recollection on the Disney cruises is that you watch the show BEFORE eating.

On our upcoming cruise, we decided to go for the early seating. We'll see how that goes.

ericamanda01
10-01-2005, 07:29 PM
I think the first thing that you should factor in is what you normal dinner time is in you time zone. I know it sound silly, but you don't want to eat dinner at an hour that could be closer to lunch time for you. We live on the west coast so late dinning is perfect for us. We enjoy seeing the show before dinner as well. I just liked having the option to not have to rush off to dinner after the ports and Castaway.

scrapperjill
10-02-2005, 02:20 AM
We prefer late seating...I didn't feel like we were missing anything...and the only time we felt rushed to get through dinner...was the night we ported at San Juan....and were meeting other cruisers to get off for the evening. As for the Pirate party and most other acts at the club...if your late I think it's only by a few min.

I don't know if it would help...but if for some reason you were wanting to hurry through dinner...maybe just mention it to your wait staff that evening. I'm sure they'd do what they could to help you along.

ericamanda01....I just wanted to say...I love the pic of your puppy. I've seen it on the boards before and wanted to say something then...but never did. Anyway we have two of our own right now...and not to long ago the last puppy from our most recent litter went to their new home. So there for awhile we had 9 Bostons running around :teeth:

lds0191
10-02-2005, 07:33 AM
we just returned 9/24 and had late seating. we were w/our dd4 and are nightowls at home and loved late seating. i think we would have felt rushed at early seating and we had no problem seeing shows or making it to the deck party. unless you want to participate in the dancing right in front of the stage during the pirate party you don't need to get there early. we had a great view from deck 10 and the first part of the party is singing and dancing and the characters don't come out for at least 15-20 minutes after it starts. we had read that dinner last 1 1/2 hours or more but we were usually out of there in an hour except for the last night when we were saying our goodbyes.

Ruth B
10-02-2005, 07:44 AM
Thanks very much for all the information. I have requested a late sitting! best wishes Ruth

aprilgail2
10-02-2005, 08:01 AM
I could never do late sesating...if that was the only choice I would have to eat at topsiders every night. I just can't go to bed with that amount of food just eaten sitting in my stomach...we were in bed most nights by 10-11pm....you are just finishing up dinner at that time LOL!!