View Full Version : Travelling with kids letter birth cert qu?

09-30-2005, 07:58 AM

this time i have a qu from a friend who has been listening to me rave about DCL. She has two daughters whom she had via Artificial insemination. On their birth certificates where it says Father it says "ünknown". We are from Australia so she would need passports for her girls anyway to board the dcl cruises, but she wanted to know whether she would need to carry their BC's given that she will not have a letter from the father (as she does not know him). I am assuming that this would be the case but wanted to ask the experts on the board here for advice for her.

thanks in advance

Adrienne :wizard:

Cruella de mom
09-30-2005, 11:12 AM
There is a form that she will need to fill out - its very short - that states that the children's father(s) have no rights to them. In the US you have to fill out a similar one to get the child's passport.

09-30-2005, 11:44 AM
I would think that if no father is named, then there is no problem. My DD's father isn't listed on the BC ( long story ) and I didn't need any extra paperwork

09-30-2005, 03:50 PM
Actually, I think the original poster is asking about the need for additional proof after she gets passports. If I understand her correctly she asked one of the top three hot topics (along with shorts in restaurants and passports)...the question usually asked is does DCL or immigration require documentation of some kind when a child is traveling with only one parent....there are of course, two distinct opinions...and as a single mom, I read each post very carefully for months deciding what to do
I think I can summarize the situation (and will put on my flameproof suit)
technically, yes immigration can require proof that the other parent has given permission for the child to go outside the country
BUT this may not be practical or possible for many people
SO, no, one has ever posted that DCL or immigration has asked for proof...

Now for the good news, the original poster asked about a situation where no father is listed on the bc. If that is reflected on the passport of her country, I am sure that is proof

Good luck

Cruella de mom
09-30-2005, 03:59 PM
Now for the good news, the original poster asked about a situation where no father is listed on the bc. If that is reflected on the passport of her country, I am sure that is proof

You are probably more than correct.

Remember we aren't trying to flame single moms or dads, we are trying to keep one parent from taking their children out of the country without the other one knowing (think kidnapped not vacation) I realize it makes a little more work for an entire group of already overworked people but it isn't really an unreasonable request. I think a good travel agent should be able to find out exactly what you need pretty quickly.

09-30-2005, 04:25 PM
DCL only requires the form filled out for those taking children who are not theirs on the cruise. (and this form is in the cruise documentation booklet that DCL sends out.) If you are the parent of the child (whether one parent or two, custodial or not) you do not need the form filled out.

Sue Ellen

10-01-2005, 01:08 AM
Cool, its good to know that for the DCL. Does anyone know if US immigration (into the US) would require the birth cert?

Adrienne :wizard:

10-01-2005, 09:39 AM
I believe that the passport is all that is required.

HOWEVER, to put your mind at ease, and to answer any questions that any official might ask, take the BC as well.

As many travellers find out with our TSA (airport security), they sometimes ask for and/or require things technically not on the TSA's requirements list.

Rather than trying to "fight city hall", it's best to cooperate and having the BC handy would answer the question immediately.