PDA

View Full Version : Delayed boarding on Wonder today

steveandtonya
09-29-2005, 03:34 PM
Strange Smell Delays Boarding Of Disney Ship

POSTED: 3:03 pm EDT September 29, 2005

A suspicious smell emanating from a suitcase turned out to be food but it was strong enough for a pair of alert bomb-sniffing dogs to keep passengers from boarding the Disney Wonder cruise ship Thursday, according to Local 6 News partner Florida Today.

The Brevard County sheriff's bomb squad was called into Port Canaveral to search several pieces of luggage being loaded onto the 964-foot-long ship about 11:30 a.m. after two bomb-sniffing dogs picked up on the scent.

The ship was scheduled to leave about 5 p.m. for the Bahamas.

"There was a suspicious suitcase found and as part of our standard procedures, we evacuated the ship," Rena Langley, a spokeswoman for the Disney Cruise Line told Florida Today.

The suspicious smell apparently came from food someone packed away in the suitcase, said Andrew Walters, spokesman for the Brevard County Sheriff's Office.

Bomb squad members X-rayed each piece of luggage on the cart headed for the ship, Walters said.

Passengers waited just over two hours before being allowed to finally board the vessel about 2 p.m.

"It's just the climate that our country is in right now," said Bill Nowak, an Orlando man who was cruising with his wife and two children.

Watch Local 6 News for more on this story.

RetroJulie
09-29-2005, 03:41 PM
That's hilarious. Well, maybe not the the cruisers... but it's still funny. I'd love to know what the food item was.

Kim&Chris
09-29-2005, 03:46 PM
EEWWWWWWW! What the heck did that person pack that needed bomb-sniffing dogs to check it out? :rotfl: :rotfl:

Hmmm, I can't wait to read those trip reports :rolleyes:

mommasita
09-29-2005, 03:48 PM
I am glad it turned out to be nothing serious....Although it may be frustrating for those cruising today, it is nice to hear about the security being stepped up.. :sunny: Happy Sailing to all.. :goodvibes

johare
09-29-2005, 03:54 PM
EEWWWWWWW! What the heck did that person pack that needed bomb-sniffing dogs to check it out? :rotfl: :rotfl:

Hmmm, I can't wait to read those trip reports :rolleyes:Could have been anything....my dogs can smell a single bacon bit from 100 yards.

my3kids
09-29-2005, 04:00 PM
I wonder if it was a Disser if they'll fess up upon return!! :rotfl:

jenschaef1
09-29-2005, 04:08 PM
How embarrasing :blush: for the person that packed the stinky food!!! :rotfl: :rotfl:

Note to self: Leave the shrimp at home, there is plenty for everyone onboard.

Thanks for posting this...made me smile :)

Jennifer

scrapperjill
09-29-2005, 04:53 PM
Oh my...I also wonder what the heck the food was :smooth: Of course I feel for those people who had to get back off the ship...but then again it did give me a good laugh.

I wonder what those people who's bag it was were thinking.

auntie k
09-29-2005, 05:06 PM
Evidently they don't realize how much food is available on a cruise.

I feel for the other passengers....bummer!

michelle9343
09-29-2005, 05:08 PM
I can't imagin what kind of food it was. I'm thinking maybe hard boiled eggs!! :rotfl2: I also feel bad that so many people had the start of their vacation messed with. But on the other hand it does give some comfort to know how through they do check the bags.

snelsonbrown
09-29-2005, 05:36 PM
Hello there - Norm was at the port when it went into lock down - the bridges were raised and NOONE and I mean noone could get off or on the port - I understand that the cruise lines were giving out water and snacks for those that got into the waiting game - Norm turned around and came back to the shop and we waited until we got the phone call that all was clear - I will know more tomorrow as to what happened - stay tuned :) I do know everyone was in turmoil - I understand a suitcase was left unattended but didn't hear about the food -
BTW while I am posting - the speed limit has been changed on HWY 528 and please take heeded, you speed you will be pulled over - the speed limit has now been dropped from 65 to 55 also there are a lot of troops out inforcing the new speed law - I passed a number of cars pulled over - anyhow do not know when this was done, but it has to be just very very recent - like a few days?
Anyhow all stay safe.
Blessings always
Shirley

DVC Jen
09-29-2005, 06:10 PM
the wonder is STILL at port. Anyone know when they will be leaving?

I really feel for those people.

Toni300z
09-29-2005, 06:16 PM
Wow!
I wonder what that was!
It takes forever to board , I know that was a mess getting back on.

I so want to do a DISNEY CRUISE!

MelissaE1
09-29-2005, 06:51 PM
The Wonder just sailed by the Two Palms webcam at 5:48 CST (6:48 Port Canaveral time). I wondered if they would leave on time after that delay, guess not.

Hopefully the rest of the trip will be smooth sailing!

justmestace
09-29-2005, 06:56 PM
WHY in the world would someone take FOOD in their suitcase???

That's just unbelievable. Can't wait to hear what you find out, Shirley!

videogal1
09-29-2005, 09:05 PM
WHY in the world would someone take FOOD in their suitcase???

That's just unbelievable. Can't wait to hear what you find out, Shirley!

Well, actually, if I don't pack food for Cash, he doesn't eat and, furthermore, I smell a rat. Drug/bomb/contraband detection dogs are trained to ignore everything but their training objective PERIOD. No service dog hired for his selective sniffer would alert on food. Sorry, I just don't buy it. Even Cash, as a part of his training, ignores food. However, the scamp, does alert on small furry mammals, which he is also supposed to ignore.......
sigh....

Thank goodness no one is likely to board the ship with a live bunny in their suitcase...

In this case it's probably someone's golf shoes.....

justmestace
09-29-2005, 10:30 PM
I definitely wasn't thinking DOG food. And Cash's food wouldn't fit in a suitcase anyway....a trunk, maybe...but not a suitcase! :dog2:

videogal1
09-29-2005, 10:57 PM
I definitely wasn't thinking DOG food. And Cash's food wouldn't fit in a suitcase anyway....a trunk, maybe...but not a suitcase! :dog2:

Awwww...

logan1_2000
09-29-2005, 11:35 PM
You people are all so nosy--just focus on your own food and dont pay any attention to my food choices. Its my vacation and I'll bring and eat whatever I want. I've paid my fare and want to enjoy my vacation. It is an invasion to be sniffing the interior of my luggage. Everybody does it. Those food rules dont apply to me....

Round about now I'm wondering how many of you realized that this was all written sarcastically, and that I am mocking some of the dress code arguments that are posted all the time, to show what the same attitude would look like if applied to food brought on board. So this is not a serious response, fellow DISers, okay?

Just thought that there were some common thematic threads running through the act of packing food that turns stinky (or perhaps started out stinky) and also declaring independence from the published dress codes.

sandiegosusie
09-30-2005, 12:31 AM
I can't believe that someone would pack food for a cruise...snacks for the kids, sure...water bottles, I can see it! But food. Especially stinky food! Crack me up!

How unfortunate for the people who were delayed at the port. Their excitement had to have been dampened...sad that those responsible didn't take others into thought. Hope everyone's cruise is better tomorrow... ::MinnieMo

tvguy
09-30-2005, 12:45 AM
I can't believe that someone would pack food for a cruise...snacks for the kids, sure...water bottles, I can see it! But food. Especially stinky food! Crack me up!

How unfortunate for the people who were delayed at the port. Their excitement had to have been dampened...sad that those responsible didn't take others into thought. Hope everyone's cruise is better tomorrow... ::MinnieMo

I've been on this board a couple years. Some people in the past have posted they can't cruise UNLESS their favorite brand of:

1) Mayo
2) Ketchup
3) Beer
4) Wine
5) Sweetener
6) Cheese
7) Coffee
8) Yogurt
9) Soda
10) Chocolate milk
11) Bottled water
12) Ice Tea

is on board. So they pack their own.
My bet is it was cheese or coffee the dog smelled.
As for me, other than my one bottle of water in my carryon from the flight, I didn't bring any type of food or beverage with me.

scrapperjill
09-30-2005, 12:48 AM
I wonder if the "food" item was some kind of "Special" brownie or something along that line :smooth:

nrk
09-30-2005, 03:34 AM
why would anyone wan't to bring food on the Cruise????....You have the Lobster tail,i'll have my egg sandwich I brought from home... :confused3

my3kids
09-30-2005, 05:51 AM
Maybe it wasn't the dog and food....maybe the x ray scanner and a fruit cake. I heard those were a real nightmare at Christmas for the airline screeners because they were too dense to be looked through on x rays. Perhaps for a gratuitity, some lovely couple thought the waiters would prefer Mrs. Claxton's to Mr. Presidents.

BethC1952
09-30-2005, 08:47 AM
I wonder if the "food" item was some kind of "Special" brownie or something along that line

OMG, I was thinking the same thing! I guess I'm showing my age--and I never even had one of the "special brownies" that my brother used to bake!

Beth

DisneyDmbNut
09-30-2005, 08:50 AM
why would anyone wan't to bring food on the Cruise????....You have the Lobster tail,i'll have my egg sandwich I brought from home... :confused3
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

laura12581
09-30-2005, 10:44 AM
We just got off of the Wonder yesterday! I just read this story, that would have made me so mad, but we did almost miss our cruise due to extreme airline delay! (deifnately flying in the night before from now on). Well hopefully this did not affect their cruise too much!
Laura

Cruella de mom
09-30-2005, 11:07 AM
well, boiled eggs do give off a sulfer smell which might be one of the substances that a bomb sniffing dog would alert on. But I can't imagine packing boiled eggs in my suitcase!! The whole episode smells fishy to me.

Cruella

txaggie94gigem
10-01-2005, 12:07 AM
coffee makes sense too...don't people hide drugs in coffee so they can't be detected?

scrapperjill
10-01-2005, 01:17 AM
Oh...I don't think it's showing your age...Don't they still make those kind of brownies? :rotfl:

OMG, I was thinking the same thing! I guess I'm showing my age--and I never even had one of the "special brownies" that my brother used to bake!

Beth

PorterBob
10-01-2005, 06:03 PM
Just a couple of things to throw out here. First the dogs are only trained to smell drugs or explosive not both. That way there is no confusion as to what might be in the luggage. Second, something most people don't think about is where the luggage has been. Some people store in weird places and others will drag their bags through yards where pesticides and fertilizers have been used. Fertilizer residue on a bag has been a cause for a scare before. On the other hand, the was a lot of food in the bag and that does make an amusing story. I see a lot of food come through and if they hit on food like stated the ship would see an evacuation everyday :rotfl:. Just thought I would throw those few points out there.