View Full Version : Permission to take a child not your own on cruise

09-28-2005, 05:55 PM
We are taking my niece's daughter on the cruise. I note that there is a form to take the child out of the country but it only calls for one parent's signature. Has anyone taken someone and only had one parent sign it. I would think you would need both parents signatures.

Deb Quen of Colorado
09-28-2005, 06:03 PM
Good question! I think perhaps if you are concerned you could have both parents fill one out. That way you would be covered. I have never done anything klike that, but it's an interesting situation.

I did have my ex fill one out for the kids to go on our cruise. Custody is not a problem but I have a different last name. I don't want any confusion or hold ups getting us on the ship.

09-28-2005, 06:06 PM
I'm not sure about the # of signatures that are necessary but one thing to think about to is notarization. My parents always got the forms notarized before we would take my friends on trips. That way it is an "official" document. Just a thought

09-29-2005, 09:51 AM
I believe the form needs to be notarized. I can't believe someone has not taken a niece or nephew on a Disney Cruise.

09-29-2005, 09:53 AM
I took my 15 year old cousin on the cruise with me to help w/ds3. I only had to have one parent sign the form and had no problems at all. It was great to have her there too!!

09-29-2005, 10:06 AM
Thanks lindakmonty!

09-29-2005, 12:58 PM
to take a child out of the united states you must have written (and notarized) permission from either the custodial parent (as determined in a court of law) or in a 2 parent household both parents.

you may get different info. from a cruiselines people but you must remember that the requirement is necessary to meet governmental laws (and the cruislines policys may be far less restrictive).

also if you are traveling with a child other than your own (any place, in state/out of state/out of the country)-take the time to have the custodial parent (s) fill out a paper and have it notorized that authorizes you to have medical power of attorney (Limited and Revocable on the parent's part) for the child. also give the adult copies of the childs medical insurance card, name of their primary doctor/phone number, any allergies, prior medical conditions, surgeries, and a list of any and all meds they have taken in the past few weeks/will be taking on the trip...this can be a godsend in securing treatment for an ill or injured child.

09-29-2005, 01:05 PM
My DGF DD is bringing her daughter, to avoid any problems DD got a notorized permission from the father to allow travel outside the U.S.. Somewhere in govt. pages it says that this is required for travel w/o both parents, altho on our alaska cruise it was not a problem. I would do this to safeguard from any potential problems, would not be fun to be turned back at the dock. :(
our 2 pennies

09-29-2005, 04:48 PM
We are taking our neices (two of them...one from my side and one from dh side) on our up comming cruise (a few weeks away :cool1: )....We are hoping we're only needing one parent signature...as both girls don't have a mommy in the picture. I don't think it should be any issue since both the dads have full custody.

DCL provides a form and requires it to be notirzed.

I wouldn't think there would be an issue if both parents are involved to have both of them sign the form...but if one parent has custody over the other I'd have that one do the signing. :smooth:

09-30-2005, 10:43 AM
Thanks everyone.