PDA

View Full Version : Immigration USA

Keith Ward
09-28-2005, 04:18 PM
We are doing the 7 night Eastern 15th Oct. Why do all passengers including US cititzens have to go through Immigration on board at St.Thomas ( US Virgin Islands )We are British and would expect it as we aren't from the US.

Help with my query ? :wave2:

Rence
09-28-2005, 04:23 PM
Because the ship has been to St. Martens (non-US) and is now at St. Thomas (US Territory). So the ship is reentering the US after visiting a foreign port.

Keith Ward
09-28-2005, 04:27 PM
Because the ship has been to St. Martens (non-US) and is now at St. Thomas (US Territory). So the ship is reentering the US after visiting a foreign port.

Thanks,That's what I reckoned,but why on 4 night after Nassau ( We did this one last year ) do you not have to go through Immigration at Port Canaveral ?Forgive my ignorance if Bahamas is US territory.

Keith...

Horace Horsecollar
09-28-2005, 04:44 PM
Thanks,That's what I reckoned,but why on 4 night after Nassau ( We did this one last year ) do you not have to go through Immigration at Port Canaveral ?Forgive my ignorance if Bahamas is US territory.

Keith...
Actually, you go through US Immigration when you disembark. You have to fill out a US Customs and Immigration form, and you show identification, such as a passport or other approved identification.

Nassua and Castaway Cay are both in The Bahamas, which is not a US territory. The Bahamas is a self-governing country, having achieved independence from Britain on July 10, 1973. The Bahamas is a member of the British Commonwealth of Nations.

derdejoh
09-28-2005, 04:58 PM
Further, as I have seen from reading these boards, each port determines how strictly it enforces U.S. immigration standards, so I believe in St. Thomas everybody (including U.S. citizens) is required to get up early and go through face-to-face immigration, while Port Canaveral has the lesser restriction for U.S. citizens of simply filling out a customs form and presenting ID. :confused3

Skallywag
09-29-2005, 01:48 AM
If Castaway Cay is in the Bahamas why then do all non- american passengers have to go through the immigration system when arriving at Port Canaveral. Surely all passengers would have to. Really cannot understand this.

TheWog
09-29-2005, 10:00 AM
If Castaway Cay is in the Bahamas why then do all non- american passengers have to go through the immigration system when arriving at Port Canaveral. Surely all passengers would have to. Really cannot understand this.

Do you mean at the end of the cruise? You are reentering the US after returning from visiting a foreign port. US citizens also have to present themselves with valid proper ID upon returning to the US.

Horace Horsecollar
09-29-2005, 10:44 AM
If you read this thread carefully, you'll see that all passengers have to comply with US Immigration when they disembark.

Yes, the process is different for US and non-US citizens. US Customs and Immigration and the Canaveral Port Authority are responsible for the processes, in support of US laws. But nobody is immune from US Immigration when returning from non-US soil.

Do you mean at the end of the cruise? You are reentering the US after returning from visiting a foreign port. US citizens also have to present themselves with valid proper ID upon returning to the US.
In another thread, Skallywag was upset that non-US citizens have to present themselves to a US Immigration officer early in the morning, but US citizens don't. (Actually, US citizens also need to present themselves early in the morning to a US Customs officer if they exceeded the allowable purchases on the ship and on the islands.)

crzy4magic
09-29-2005, 11:58 AM
The process at Port Canaveral is very similar to the process followed at most US International Airports. When an International flight arrives the passengers are separated into US Passport Holders and non-US Passport holders. The US Passport holders get a perfunctury look from Immegration in a very fast moving line and are sent on to baggage claim and US Customs. Non-US Passport holders are sent to a separate line where US Immigration takes a longer look at their passports. This is very similar to what I have encountered at airports in England, France, The Netherlands, Switzerland, Australia and Japan.

The difference at a port (i.e. Port Canaveral, NYC and others) is that the Immigration people use the ships manifest and the cruise line to verify the US passports, with US Customs as a fall back. They use the ships facilities to account for all non-US citizens before they let anyone off.

Keith Ward
09-29-2005, 03:54 PM
If you read this thread carefully, you'll see that all passengers have to comply with US Immigration when they disembark.

Yes, the process is different for US and non-US citizens. US Customs and Immigration and the Canaveral Port Authority are responsible for the processes, in support of US laws. But nobody is immune from US Immigration when returning from non-US soil.

In another thread, Skallywag was upset that non-US citizens have to present themselves to a US Immigration officer early in the morning, but US citizens don't. (Actually, US citizens also need to present themselves early in the morning to a US Customs officer if they exceeded the allowable purchases on the ship and on the islands.)

Thanks for all of the replies.Yes Horace,I don't want to dig up the old US and Non US thing again.I was just curious why US citizens had to present themselves at St.Thomas but not Port Canaveral. The less that have to be present the quicker it will take.Aslo do I still have to fill out the white coloured Bahamas Immigration form for the 7 night Eastern ?

Thanks,

Keith. :banana:

ivanova
09-29-2005, 05:29 PM
Aslo do I still have to fill out the white coloured Bahamas Immigration form for the 7 night Eastern ?

Thanks,

Keith. :banana:
Yes, because Castaway Cay is part of the Bahamas, so the form is required.

Horace Horsecollar
09-29-2005, 06:43 PM
Yes Horace,I don't want to dig up the old US and Non US thing again.I was just curious why US citizens had to present themselves at St.Thomas but not Port Canaveral.
Actually, US citizens do have to "present themselves" at both St.Thomas and Port Canaveral.

At St. Thomas, the Immigration check takes place on the ship. Passengers can leave their passports or birth certificates on the ship, because the check is completed before the gangway is opened.

At Port Canaveral, the Immigration check takes place as passengers disembark from the ship.

In both St.Thomas and Port Canaveral, non-US citizens are processed differently that US citizens.

Getting up early is no fun for anyone. On our Eastern Caribbean cruise, I had to get up early in St.Thomas (for the Immigration check) and Port Canaveral (to see a US Customs officer to pay duty).

crzy4magic
09-29-2005, 09:28 PM
The non-US stuff is very similar to what an American encounters flying between European cities. The last time I flew from London to Amsterdam there were 2 line - EU citizens and non-EU citizens - same differentiation, different country.

Keith Ward
09-30-2005, 01:34 AM
Thanks again for all of the replies...I don't mind an early rise, more time to enjoy the day ahead.Looking forward to my cruise no matter what time I have to get out of bed..Happy cruising.

Keith :banana: