PDA

View Full Version : Packing A Dress - Need Help!

DisneyDmbNut
09-28-2005, 11:05 AM
I have a friend that needs to pack a big formal dress...anyone vacuum their dress to make it packable? Shipping the dress before is not an option...please help..need to fly from California with this. Thanks!
:wave2:

952LisaR
09-28-2005, 11:45 AM
Have you looked into having is steamed/pressed when you get to FL, that is what I did - Carollyn Allens (her information is in the wedding packet - i don't have it with me right now)- will come right to your room and do it. She did a great job with my dress.

DisneyDmbNut
09-28-2005, 11:56 AM
the steaming isn't the problem..it is getting it there...Actually a DCL cruise. Need to pack it other than in a garment bag..I just wondered if anyone had space bagged their dress...

kellykins
09-28-2005, 12:41 PM
I was wondering the same thing today. I watched my seamstress press all the air out of my dress when we talked about packing it. She didn't seem to think that pressing all the air out would hurt it and it made it much smaller. I would think the space bag thing would work, but itís just a guess.

LittleBlackRaincloud
09-28-2005, 12:47 PM
I have space bagged several things, and can tell you that everything comes out VERY wrinkled. Now, if you are concerned about the dress getting dirty during transit, or the dress taking up too much room, then space bag it, and find someone really good at steaming such things. I personally think that if I had to pack a dress, that I would have a pullman just for it and the slip, and not squash the dress into a space bag. If that absolutely isn't an option, then space bag it at the very last second, and hang it up ASAP once on the ship. Good Luck!

DisneyDmbNut
09-28-2005, 12:54 PM
The dress is more tulle...do you think that matters? I know tafata would wrinkle much worse

LittleBlackRaincloud
09-28-2005, 02:30 PM
I really don't know about tulle with it being packed short term. I can tell you this though, I ordered the bride ears from WDW, and when they arrived, they were still packed in the original plastic bag for shipping. The tulle on my ears is seriously wrinkled! I'm not sure the best way to go about getting the wrinkles out of it, and honestly would appreciate any tips anyone reading this might have. Here's an idea though...Go to the fabric store, buy some tulle like the dress, space bag it for as long as the dress will be bagged, and then see how bad it is. Hey, if you do that then you can attempt to get the wrinkles out, and tell me how you did it!! ;)