PDA

View Full Version : Dry Dock ????

DonnettaR
09-28-2005, 06:23 AM
Does anyone know what time The Magic will get into Norfolk? Is anyone going to welcome her into port? What is the link for the webcam? Thanks.

DisneyDmbNut
09-28-2005, 07:54 AM
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=9938320#post9938320

There is a link to the camera on the first page

DrCavin
09-28-2005, 08:11 AM
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=9938320#post9938320

There is a link to the camera on the first page

OK it is early am, but I can't find the link in that thread anywhere... :confused3

sdptalk
09-28-2005, 08:12 AM
Hurray for the lifejacket change :cool1: :banana: :Pinkbounc

jjbescher
09-28-2005, 08:17 AM
OK it is early am, but I can't find the link in that thread anywhere... :confused3

Nor can I. I double checked.

DisneyDmbNut
09-28-2005, 09:21 AM
Sorry...I had the wrong link

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=911272

http://www.wvec.com/cams/norfolk.html

It looks like the sun is blocking the view right now, but you can see the drydock according to a local...it will be in the far background

DrCavin
09-28-2005, 10:02 AM
Hurray for the lifejacket change :cool1: :banana: :Pinkbounc

So no one else will have to read 35 posts to find out: :goodvibes

There was one other change Tom McAlpin announced on the Eastbound Repositioning Cruise - they are going to replace all of the uncomfortable life jackets with approved life jackets that are less bulky around the neck and throat. He had Cruise Director Rachael model one as part of his presentation. The jacket looked like fewer people would feel like they were being strangled. He said that the uncomfortable life jackets and the life boat drill had been an area of dissatisfaction for passengers and crew for quite a while.

DonnettaR
09-28-2005, 12:30 PM
Thanks for all the responses. All of them were very helpful.

ldb1030
09-28-2005, 01:21 PM
Thanks DRCAVIN! I was just getting ready to figure that one out!!

sdptalk
09-28-2005, 01:52 PM
LOL! :rotfl2: Sorry. I guess I lost myself in the excitement of knowing that the lifejackets would no longer be like wearing a neck brace.

Sandy :teeth:

DrCavin
09-28-2005, 02:08 PM
I am not going to get to excited about the lifejackets until I see them or read other posts about them.. They certainly could not be any worse I dont think... :)

DonnettaR
09-30-2005, 06:50 AM
Any news on The Magic's arrival time? When is the first cruise after the dry dock scheduled?

DrCavin
09-30-2005, 07:43 AM
Any news on The Magic's arrival time? When is the first cruise after the dry dock scheduled?

Oct 15 is the first cruise after dry-dock.

DonnettaR
09-30-2005, 08:00 PM
bump for more information

GreatDaneMom
09-30-2005, 08:38 PM
She's not here yet. I drove through the tunnel past the shipyard at 3:00 this afternoon and there was no Magic... :confused3

Cheryl

DonnettaR
10-01-2005, 12:00 AM
She's not here yet. I drove through the tunnel past the shipyard at 3:00 this afternoon and there was no Magic... :confused3

Cheryl

Well she has to drop this group of passengers off at Port Canaveral and then head for Norfolk. Please keep us posted on any Magic sightings. My daughter and I are getting goosebumps thinking about all of the people who will see her unexpectedly on her way to Norfolk. Just how cool is that? :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

GreatDaneMom
10-01-2005, 07:05 AM
It is a treat to unexpectedly run across the Disney ships. Last Fall I was driving my then 9 yo DD to school when all of a sudden we looked towards the shipyard and there sat the Disney Wonder in all her glory. Talk about a magic moment!!!! :flower: DD was delighted. What she didn't know was that she would be taking her first cruise on the Wonder just a few months later. I had already booked it and it was soooo hard to keep myself quiet that day.

Cheryl

skycon
10-01-2005, 07:20 AM
I just moved to Florida from Virginia Beach. That is one thing I will miss this year.... seeing my ship near my home. Blow her a kiss for me. By the way Great Dane Mom, where in VB do you live? I lived in Christopher Farms off of Holland Road. I miss VB very much.

GreatDaneMom
10-03-2005, 06:33 AM
Magic has arrived for drydock! :banana: DH just called me and said he saw her in the shipyard on his way to work. We'll take good care of her during her stay in our area and send her back to all of you very soon. Our local TV stations are WAVY, WVEC, and WTKR in case any of you want to watch their websites for possible news coverage. I'll try to give you all a heads-up if I see anything.

Skycon, we live near Mt. Trashmore. Sorry you left the area but you can always come back and see us. ;) Enjoy your time in Florida. At least you're closer to Disney!! :)

Cheryl

GreatDaneMom
10-03-2005, 05:10 PM
http://www.wavy.com/Global/story.asp?S=84862&nav=23ij0TFw

Here's the link for the webcam. Magic is on the right. Hopefully you can catch it before the camera moves!

ATCMickey
10-03-2005, 09:38 PM
Interested in everyone's opinions...

Another thread mentioned travel documents are warning that the fitness facilities will not be available for the 10/15/2005 cruise and that the fitness equipment would be moved elsewhere. I'm booked on that cruise. Presumably the work will not have been completed during drydock and things will still be under construction and the existing facilities unusable during the 10/15-22 cruise. I can just envision all the equipment relocated to a nice dark closet in the gunnels of the ship. I planned to use the fitness facilities extensively on the cruise. I always thought it would be so cool to take my morning run on the treadmill and looking out over miles of blue ocean. My wife lives for her workouts as well. Maybe I'm being unreasonable, but my initial reaction is that I didn't pay all this money to board a ship with an ongoing construction project that will require me to work out with equipment that has been relocated and jammed into the nearest cubby-hole.

My health club at home has been undergoing construction work for the past 3 months. All the equipment gets shoved into a corner with everyone working out on top of each other...really stinks! It's one thing to deal with it at home, but on a $5000+ cruise? I guess I can understand that things need to get done, but I thought that was the purpose of drydock so that these things get done without degrading service or inconveniencing the paying passenger. I was so looking forward to boarding a nice clean ship impressively refurbed after a drydock...now I'm cringing thinking about paying to be on a ship in the middle of a construction project that should have been done during drydock. OK...flame me for being unreasonable, but I'm just pissed at the prospect of paying all this money (more than many other lines), expecting top notch facilities, and fearing that I'll be stuck with degraded facilities because someone thought it was acceptable to continue this work past drydock and after the paying passengers re-boarded. Maybe I'm being unreasonable...I understand that some things are beyond Disney control. For example, Disney obviously can't control the weather and I fully expect that we may/may not get to some stops. I expect that. But I sure would have thought Disney could control the drydock schedule. If someone honestly thought it would be OK to just let work continue after the paying passengers reboarded and to not have major facilities available and online, then I think that stinks! I guess if you don't work out I probably sound like an over-reacting idiot. :) For me, this would be like planning a spa vacation and getting there to find out the spa is out of service. Guess I just needed to vent. If anyone else out there has heard any updates on the situation, I sure would appreciate the feedback.

Thanks,

ATCMickey

GilesFamily
10-03-2005, 09:50 PM
I agree with you ATCMickey. We just got off the Western cruise on Oct. 1st. They started construction even before we got off. We were sitting out on Deck 4 enjoying our last night and they were starting to cover the deck with cardboard and putting the deck chairs away. I was a little disgruntled about that. I could'nt understand why that could'nt wait until we were off the ship the next morning.
Also, my husband was looking forward to a bridge tour during the cruise and we were told that bridge tours were not available on our cruise because construction had already started.

ATCMickey
10-03-2005, 11:21 PM
GilesFamily...I agree...equally unacceptable. If I wanted to cruise during a construction project I would have signed on as a deck hand. At least I would have been compensated for my inconvenience rather than paying for it. :confused: Guess someone will tell me I didn't have to book that cruise...had I known this would be the case I probably wouldn't have chosen these dates...but now that it's sprung on us with less than 2 weeks to go, guess we don't have much choice. Hope the plumbing works!

ATCMickey

I agree with you ATCMickey. We just got off the Western cruise on Oct. 1st. They started construction even before we got off. We were sitting out on Deck 4 enjoying our last night and they were starting to cover the deck with cardboard and putting the deck chairs away. I was a little disgruntled about that. I could'nt understand why that could'nt wait until we were off the ship the next morning.
Also, my husband was looking forward to a bridge tour during the cruise and we were told that bridge tours were not available on our cruise because construction had already started.

GreatDaneMom
10-04-2005, 05:24 AM
I think you guys are right in being frustrated. We all aim for the "perfect cruise" and it's disenchanting when it doesn't happen that way. I've heard from many seasoned cruisers that you don't want to cruise just before or right after a drydock. That's on ALL lines not just Disney. But when we book we don't necessarily know what dates that will encompass. That's particularly painful on Disney because we know we willingly pay a premium to be there.

Try to make the best of your cruises. You're still out there floating on the ocean while the rest of us are sitting at home/work. ;) That puts you way ahead of the rest of us even if the facilities are compromised. Enjoy!

Cheryl
(Totally envious of you even though you're sailing around drydock!!)

DisneyDmbNut
10-04-2005, 07:49 AM
y'all should try to catch that show "Dry Dock - A ship reborn" and see what they do in 14 days..it is pretty unreal as I am in construction and know what it takes to complete a major renovation..plus, under conditions of no air..less power..It is amazing they get it done.
RCCL ( the drydock show ) also started their drydock prep work while passengers where on the ship. It is common pratice or all their drydock time would be spent in mobilization instead of construction.
Everyday that ship isn't operating, it is costing $ to Disney..over the cost of construction.
I am booked 2 weeks after drydock..I figured that was a safe spread and I would get to enjoy a "clean" ship.

VintageKnight
10-04-2005, 08:28 AM
hey cruise ships are cruise ships.... work is constiantly being redone.... especially with the disney ships since they are higher maintnace than other lines.

everyday there stripping and re applying the finishes on the decks and railings do to the type of wood they use on decks..

and the had to re-do some staterooms in the lower levels and redo hallway carpet do to somthing happeneing....had 2 huge garbage containers that were empty when we docked in Nasau yet were filled with ruined stateroom equipment when we came back...

this was on the WONDER in late may.

ATCMickey
10-04-2005, 10:16 AM
DisneyDmbNut...As a matter of fact I have watched the RCCL "Dry Dock" series. And I also remember that "not finishing" was considered an unacceptable option. Their intent was to have the entire ship back up and running at the end of drydock-and by the time the first paying passengers reboarded they had. It would appear that DCL never had a plan to finish prior to drydock ending and also neglected to pass that tidbit along until 12 days before sailing. I just don't think that's right. I understand that having the ship in drydock produces a negative revenue stream. But at what point do you consider the ship in "good enough" shape to collect full fare passage on your cruises in good conscience. Whether it be cruising with boarded up elevators and people removing the deck chairs out from under you on the sailing before drydock, or whether it be still out of service facilities after drydock is supposed to be complete, I just don't agree with what seems to be DCL's perspective on that question. I'm sure your opinion will vary.

VintageKnight...Thanks for your feedback. With all due respect, I think having to touch up some railing paint or replacing a run of carpet are not equavalent comparisons to having an entire shipboard venue out of service for the duration of the sailing. But I guess that too is a matter of perception.

y'all should try to catch that show "Dry Dock - A ship reborn" and see what they do in 14 days..it is pretty unreal as I am in construction and know what it takes to complete a major renovation..plus, under conditions of no air..less power..It is amazing they get it done.
RCCL ( the drydock show ) also started their drydock prep work while passengers where on the ship. It is common pratice or all their drydock time would be spent in mobilization instead of construction.
Everyday that ship isn't operating, it is costing $ to Disney..over the cost of construction.
I am booked 2 weeks after drydock..I figured that was a safe spread and I would get to enjoy a "clean" ship.

suwoogie
10-04-2005, 10:54 AM
ATCMickey, I agree with you. We are on the same cruise and the issue of the fitness room is a problem with us also. When DCL says they are going to move the equipment to another location I guess I'll have to trust them that it will not infringe on our enjoyment of a very costly cruise. I'm going to defer judgement until I get there and experience it. Knowing Disney, it won't be as bad as it sounds.... I hope. :goodvibes

pdarrah
10-04-2005, 11:27 AM
Just FYI - they have sent the same letter to those of us on the 10-22 Western, so they seem to expect to be working on the fitness center for TWO weeks after drydock is over.

pdarrah

perdidobay
10-04-2005, 11:31 AM
At least DCL has informed us before the cruise. I too, will be using the workout equipment and will miss looking out at the sea while doing so. But I understand some jobs just take more time than the drydocking provides.
Since just a small percentage of my time will be spent working out, I am not bothered by this inconvenice.
Sorry for those of you who feel really inconveniced.

cats04
10-04-2005, 05:34 PM
We were also on the Magic from Sept.24th-Oct.1st and were surprised to see all the new carpeting laying in the elevator lobbies. My husband and I feel that they could have waited until everyone was off before loading. Not an ideal place considering how many people needed to get off.

VintageKnight
10-04-2005, 09:29 PM
Ohh, a new thought, I've been busy.....Maybe, just Maybe some of the equipment and or parts that were needed to do the workout areas were coming from the gulf region, that would definatly explain why they didnt notify the passengers untill so late... They wouldn't have known about the delay untill then.

I'd ask for some stateroom credit, If it mattered to me, we walked so much on those 3 days that working out was the last thing to think about.