PDA

View Full Version : Inside Cabin?

flexsmom
09-27-2005, 08:33 PM
I'm contemplating taking off for a 4-night with DD6 in March during her spring break. We are scheduled for a 7-night in August (double dip), but I'm probably going to push that to 2007 once that schedule comes out and try a new itinerary. We've done the 4-night before, and it seems like it might be a nice, quick, get-away for the two of us that would offer a lot of quality together time, but a lot of good fun time apart for each of us, too. (I'm dreaming of weeks of trashy magazines and some good meaningless novels to read while basking on Deck 4 watching the ocean speed by with no one putting any demands on me while she plays it up in the clubs!)

So here's my question - I've only done veranda staterooms. I want to try to do this as cheaply as possible, without being too uncomfortable. What is your opinion of the Cat 12s? To justify the trip to DH, I think I need to be as thifty as possible! Is it spacious enough for the two of us to not be crawling all over each other?

Thanks!

gdulaney
09-27-2005, 08:54 PM
My husband and I have done inside cabins on several cruises...always with the split bathroom though. We've never found it cramped; however, I couldn't tell you the difference between the size of a veranda cabin and an inside one.

Hope this helps,
Ginny :cutie:

aprilgail2
09-27-2005, 08:54 PM
It would be fine for the 2 of you.....I wouldn't book one again for 3 people though, for the three of us we were tripping all over each other and there was a SERIOUS lack of drawer space for clothes...plus no steamer trunk!

mommasita
09-27-2005, 09:06 PM
I would agree. For the two, it would be fine...Just think of the $$ saved, and that is worth it alone, for myself...It seems like you may not possibly be spending too much time in there anyway...The only way the verandah rooms are bigger, is for just that, the verandah..You know, there is always deck 7 aft verandah, which is frequently empty..We use this, and just pretend it is ours, as I have only met up with one or two people per cruise..

Good luck.. :flower:

TooPure4u
09-27-2005, 11:31 PM
I have heard that the inside cabins make you feel like your in a cofffin. I have had the verandah on both cruises...east and western and spent more time in the room than i thought i would. i love the verandah for the morning and the later evening while it is still warm outside. i love the verandah for while pulling up to a ports also...

DISPOP
09-28-2005, 12:32 AM
We'll let you know next month. We have had the verandah twice but booked an inside (cat 10 or 11 ? because we still wanted the split bath) on the Magic for 10/15. I agree it's great to sit on the balcony mornings, nights and while approaching ports but we wanted to save some $$$ this time. Good luck!

Phyllisi
09-28-2005, 07:26 AM
I have been in category 11, 7, and 5. To my family, except for the split bathroom, the square footage for all the cabins are just about identical. Some category 11 rooms do have the blue streamer trunk. I know fist hand because I prefer to book category 11 with a blue streamer trunk. The rooms are sideways. I am one of the few people who do not care fore the split bathrooms. I have to do my hair by the desk because I use a curling brush and they do not plug into the plugs in any bathroom on the ships. The way I llok at booking the catagory 11 inside it that I can afford to cruise the Magi every 10-12 months and still put money away for my retirement and my daughter's higher education expenses.

mmouse37
09-28-2005, 07:30 AM
We have all different categories Veranda, O/V and inside....and found the Cat 11 inside way too cramped for 4 (2 A, 2 teens)....that was a nightmare....but I would certainly book an inside if it was just hubby an I.

My favorite category price wise is Cat 9 on Deck 2....love that location and do enjoy the natural light with the O/V

MJ

poohssmum
09-28-2005, 08:14 AM
We had a Cat 10 on our last cruise. There was plenty of room for me, DH, and our 2 DS's (8 and 5). The only thing I didn't like about the cabin was the lack of natural light. We're booked into a Cat 9 for our upcoming cruise, but in all honesty, if cost was the deciding factor ... I'd go for the inside categories just to get myself onto the ship ;)

CaribGirl
09-28-2005, 09:50 AM
If it is to save $$$ inside will do. As long as I am on the ship, it doesn't matter where I am at.

poconoboatniks
09-28-2005, 10:01 AM
We've done the cat 11 & cat 10 inside cabins with four of us. Go for the Cat 10. It's worth the extra money for the split bath and steamer trunk. We don't spend enough time in the cabin to justify the cost of anything higher than cat 9 porthole room. The port hole was nice, but save the money for excursions, BINGO and drinks of the day.

Pocono

stampinshauna
09-28-2005, 11:25 AM
We cruised in a cat 11 last year and it was fine. We don't know any different. We are going next month and booked a cat 12 gty to save money. I figure we're not in the room much, and I like how it is dark if we want to sleep in. I'd rather save the money for more cruises. We are going to Alaska next year and have a mini-suite and that might spoil us. If you want to save the money and you don't mind not having a view, the inside cabins are fine.

Pea-n-Me
09-28-2005, 11:29 AM
Had a Cat 11 first cruise and will have one again for #3 (after a Cat 5 on #2) - see tag. There were four of us in there and we don't really mind. We figure if we're on the ship we're doing OK :wizard: (and that way we can hopefully squeeze in some other trips as well).

flexsmom
09-28-2005, 06:09 PM
Thanks very much for the opinions. I like the idea of having it darker for sleeping in. One question on the porthole rooms - with my two veranda cabins there was significant seaspray on our doors that kind of impeded the view out the doors. I've assumed that that would be even worse with just a porthole, if we were to go up to a Cat 9?

BethC1952
09-29-2005, 08:10 AM
We had a Cat. 11 inside for our first three cruises. We've been two adults and three adults, and were never too crowded, and we loved it. For our last cruise, all that was available was a Cat. 7 Navigator's Verandah. It was very nice, and we did enjoy it, but didn't think we'd pay extra money to do it again. However, we loved the split bath in that room, so for November we've booked a Cat. 10, which is an inside room, slightly larger, with the split bath. We like the darkness because our room at home is extremely bright at night (we live right across from a train station) and never really get to experience sleeping in a dark room.

Beth

saltwater taffy
09-29-2005, 09:27 AM
My wife and I have done 2-7 day Easterns, 2-7 day Westerns and the 14 day Westbound cruise to date. We have a 7 day Eastern and a 7-day Western and the 11-day Southern Carribbean booked for now thru September of next year. We have always been in a Category 11 inside, 184 sq. ft. and by storing some of the luggage and the life vests under the bed ( after the lifeboat drill on the first day, before leaving Port Canaveral) we have always managed quite nicely. We are of the opinion that we would rather apply the additional monies to future cruises and/or liquid refreshments on board than to pay for upgrading to another type of cabin. When I told her that we could get a Category 10 (Inside deluxe w/ split bath for only $120.00 more on the 11 day cruise, her answer was no that they were on Deck 2 or else on the front or back of the ship on the otjer decks and that she liked deck 6 or 7 mid-ship just FINE.