PDA

View Full Version : Would you do Atlantis w/ a Toddler?

hunter6009
09-27-2005, 06:06 PM
My DS still needs a nap (somewhere between 12pm-2ish) so we're not sure what we should do in Nassau. We'd love to go to Atlantis and see the aquariums...possibly hit the beach. But we don't want an overly tired and cranky toddler on our hands with no way to get back to ship or a room for a nap. Any suggestions or someone who has done this with a toddler?
Thanks!

mom x4,grandma x4
09-27-2005, 06:33 PM
I have done Atlantis tour, not with a toddler, but I can telll you whay is was like so maybe you can judge for yourself a little easier.
If you book the regular excursion, you will do a water taxi to Atlantis. It is a 10minute, pretty much uphill walk from the water taxi to the hotel. If you take a stroller it would not be bad. The water taxi's run about every 45 minutes all say, so you may return at your leisure. The aquarium is really worth seeing. Others in our group had toddlers in umbrella strollers, which was good, because part of the tour is outside and there are some stairs to go up. Too much to drag a big stroller. With the umbrella stroller they folded it and one parent helped the child, the other one carried the stroller until we cleared the stairs. The excursion moves very fast, but once it is over you may go back through the Dig as often as you want, at your own speed. The viewing windows are very large and they come down low enough a toddler can easily see. You can also take a taxi from the ship and they will let you off practically right at the door. Not sure but I believe it is $7 per person one way, plus tip. The tour isnt a really long one, so your child should do ok in that respect. All the taxi's and excursions are a short walk from the ship and your guides do keep a good pace to get you to your transportation, so a stroller would really help. There is a free beach very close to Atlantis so you can walk over to it.
Hope this helps a little.
mom x4,grandma x4

momoftwodisneykids
09-27-2005, 07:51 PM
We took our daughter with us to Atlantis when she was 2. We did the Dig on our own. Can't remember the cost, but it was way less than through the ship. She loved all the fish. There was a photographer there taking pictures for some Atlantis literature and she took lots of photos of my little girl. Had us sign a release and everything just in case they decided to use some. They have a tank with a HUGE manta ray. Coolest thing I have ever seen. We got back to the ship at around 2, just in time for a nap. BTW, we found that onboard she tended to nap later, as she was staying up later than normal at night and sleeping in later. Worked very well for us. Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

Joanne :)

hunter6009
09-27-2005, 08:32 PM
So to do the tour on your own, do you just arrange for your own ride there and buy a ticket or pass to the aquarium? Where do they sell these? Front desk? Any good suggestions for getting there on our own with a little one?

Thanks!

momoftwodisneykids
09-27-2005, 08:54 PM
So to do the tour on your own, do you just arrange for your own ride there and buy a ticket or pass to the aquarium? Where do they sell these? Front desk? Any good suggestions for getting there on our own with a little one?

Thanks!
We opted to take a land taxi instead of a water taxi to Atlantis. It was a little more expensive, but way faster, as the water taxis wait until they are full to head out. Once we got to Atlantis, we just asked and they pointed us to a desk where we could purchase tickets for the Dig. I think we had to wear some sort of wristband. After touring the Dig, we went back into town and did the Pirate Museum. I also think there is a free beach right by Atlantis. Our last trip to Nassau, we were on a Carnival ship and were only in port until 2:30 p.m., so we didn't have time to do the beach. We also made sure to fill our sippy cups and bring our own drinks and snacks as food is frightfully expensive at Atlantis. We waited to eat lunch until we got back onboard the ship. Have fun.

Joanne :)