PDA

View Full Version : Bad Massage Experiences???

Jay arrrrgh!!!!
09-27-2005, 04:48 PM
Just wondering if anyone else has had a bad experience with the massages on DCL??? My sister in-law (A licensed massage therapist herself) had a Cabana Massage at Castaway Cay on 9/16. She came out to the adult beach calling it the worst massage she's ever had. She was asked no questions prior to the rub-down, such as "Do you have any medical problems? Any area to stay away from or work on?" The therapist did not warm her muscles up with gentle rubbing, as necessary, but went right into very painful jabbing and rubbing. My sister in-law received quite a few hard elbows to her shoulder blades before asking the therapist to stop and cutting her massage short. Not only did she find it unenjoyable, she, as a therapist, knew that this girl giving her the massage could seriously injure someone. Upon returning to the ship, she did alert the spa manager of the problem but he didn't seem terribly concerned.
Now, on the other hand, my hubby and I did have a couples massage a few days later on the ship. Luckily we did not have the problems that my sister in-law did. We filled out questionaires about our medical history and the therapists asked us how hard we wanted to be rubbed, etc.
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced a problem. If that girl really was that bad, I'm sure someone else has complained. -Jenn

disneybride96
09-27-2005, 07:37 PM
We have had some better than others. It's kind of like at home, you just have to find one that you like. I did have a couple of bruises on my shoulders from one massage, although I do bruise rather easily. I'm trying the wrap this time.

Muushka
09-27-2005, 08:00 PM
PPPhhhhheeeewww! I thought I was the only one! We had the couples massage last year and I must say, it was not an enjoyable experience for me. I was a little biased though, I really wasn't interested in getting the massage, but I was talked into it by my husband and the booking people (we did the REAS and I wanted him to get both massages).

My experience was that they did ask about any medical problems. But my therapist (sadist?) started the deep tissue stuff right away also, no warming up. Very painful. I said 'ouch' several times and could not wait for the time to be up. She reminded me of my dental hygienest. Ouch :rolleyes:

yazee1
09-27-2005, 08:40 PM
I didn't care for the massage I was given at all. My husband gives better massages.

daisy112878
09-27-2005, 08:53 PM
We had good massages on the ship the other week. Not the best I've had at home but they were decent. We did fill out the forms and they went over them with us before hand. They asked several times if the pressure was okay to both of us.

Echo queen
09-27-2005, 09:24 PM
I had a strang message insident this summer :earseek: but it was not DCL so I will leave it at that. :earseek: :rotfl:

NCRedding
09-27-2005, 09:30 PM
I had my first massage at one of the cabana massages on our cruise in 2002, and swore off massages after that one. It was so painful, and when I winced, she asked me "are you ticklish, or does that hurt". When I said that I hurt, she said "then you really need this" and then hurt me some more. I ended up taking lots of aspirin after that massage.

I tried another massage last year at home, and LOVED it.

trivial
09-27-2005, 09:46 PM
It sounds pretty unanimous: stay the heck away from the massage "therapists" on DCL. Thanks for the heads up!

KarenMom
09-27-2005, 10:41 PM
I thought I was the only one too. In 4/05 I had a terrible massage on board the Wonder. I kept telling her, that hurts - please don't do it so hard, she refused to listen and only cut it short. My neck hurt for the rest of the cruise and several months afterward. I even had to go to my doctor when I got home to make sure there wasn't any damage and had to have three visits to a "real" massage therapist to correct what the massage therapist did on board. Never again!

MrsMork
09-27-2005, 11:04 PM
I would not say it is unanimous. DH and I have had massages on 5 out of our 6 cruises and LOVED every one. :goodvibes Our DS and DDIL are both massage therapists and they both had a DCL massage in Dec 2004 and they too loved them. However, if ya'll will just spread the word to not get one, that will make scheduling alot easier for those of us who have had wonderful experiences. ;)

missmulan
09-28-2005, 12:52 AM
count me in as one who will never do another massage with DCL. not only was the massage not good (i've had better) but I forgot to tell them "no sales pitch".

jordanyosh
09-28-2005, 01:25 AM
I have only had great experiences with my DCL massages, but then again I am easy to please.

BuzzBoyMom
09-28-2005, 05:43 AM
I've been going to massage therapists for 10 years. Both cruises and at home. You get some good ones and you get some not so good ones. Sounds to me like there may be a few therapists who are not properly trained. And that is unfortunate since they can hurt people. I'd recommend speaking up whenever it hurts. For a one time relaxation massage, it should not hurt. If you are going for treatments on a consistent basis or need some sports massage done, then it understandably might hurt.

My personal DCL experience - it wasn't worth the cost. I'd rather do other spa treatments and go to a massage therapist at home where they WANT you to be happy for the repeat business. I have to say I didn't feel that the DCL massage therapists cared much whether I was satisfied or not.

JMHO.

Muushka
09-28-2005, 06:59 AM
I'd recommend speaking up whenever it hurts

I did!! That is the sad part. I guess that is why I called her a sadist!

Dreamer04
09-28-2005, 07:08 AM
I was hesitant about booking a massage before, now I am sure I won't!
Unless someone can drop some names, I'm not taking any chances on ruining my vacation with a bad therapist.

clten
09-28-2005, 07:19 AM
My sister, a trained massage therapist, didn't even make it through the Spa tour before she found out they didn't really know what they were doing.

She asked a lot of questions only to have them sloughed off. After the whole tour, she didn't think she would have a massage but thought maybe the girl giving the tour was just inexperienced and still had hope that someone would be able to do a decent job. Another two therapists were brought out to speak with her and just kept emphasizing the aromatherapy of each treatment. My sister told the therapists that she was very sensitive to some aromatherapy oils used in their treatments, did they custom-blend it? They said yes but when she further inquired (because if they custom blended per client, they would have aroma-free oil they could use for her), she found out it was inaccurate and in fact some of the aromatherapy oils they used on pregnant women are contraindicated for pregnancy. When she heard that and couldn't convince them they might want to look up some information, we left the spa, never to return.

auntie k
09-28-2005, 07:43 AM
I have a cabana massage scheduled on our upcoming trip - if I'm unhappy and it isn't relaxing - what do you think my chances are of getting a refund?

slindamood
09-28-2005, 07:49 AM
I did not think the person knew what she was doing. I will not honor her with the title of massage therapist because the session was primarily one long sales pitch. The session was not as long as advertised, and at the end she was gone a long time before bringing the bill to sign. It was not itemized (I had agreed to buy a few things). I asked for itemized, which she did, and when home and could look at the product webpage found that she had way overcharged for the products. If you buy products, go back later and buy when you get an honest price.

mom+3girls
09-28-2005, 07:58 AM
I couldn't decide if I wanted to spend the money to get the massage while on the cruise, because I could get 3 here at home for what one costs on the ship, decided just to wait until I got home and get one for the next 3 months, boy am I glad I waited.
Love the info you can get on these boards.

fltink
09-28-2005, 08:13 AM
Well, my sister in-law complained and she got 50% taken off but who knows? You could get more, you could get nothing.

mrsltg
09-28-2005, 09:11 AM
When we did the couples massage my DH didn't like it but I thought it was ok. Our next cruise I'll just stick to the facial as I don't want to have a sore back!

Erin :)

cnj
09-28-2005, 09:36 AM
My husband and I had a couples massage onboard, and it was horrible. Not only was it really rough, she also make mean comments about my body. I would NEVER go back there again for anything.

Dreamer04
09-28-2005, 10:05 AM
I don't recall ever hearing that someone had a bad massage at the spa onboard. In the past, I have booked massage appts, only to cancel because something came up-like a sunburn-eek!

Its good to hear this, but I kind of wish everyine had complained onboard. Maybe someone would have listened and changed things!

oybolshoi
09-28-2005, 10:17 AM
My husband and I had a well-being massage as part of our REAS package last year and we both enjoyed it tremendously. But I was also very upfront about wanting a relaxing experience - I did not want nor did I need to be pounded like a potato. They were very accomodating and did a nice job.

Our tablemates last year did the cabana massages on CC and loved it. We're scheduled for one next month and I'm hopeful that it will be a good experience.

Just wanted to throw in a positive experience. :goodvibes

DisneyDmbNut
09-28-2005, 10:21 AM
I had a strang message insident this summer :earseek: but it was not DCL so I will leave it at that. :earseek: :rotfl:

ok..well...now I am DYING to know?? :listen:

stampinshauna
09-28-2005, 11:21 AM
Hmmmmmmm.......

I'm going to have to talk this over with my DH. We're scheduled for a couples massage and now I'm thinking maybe we should save the money.

mrsdon
09-28-2005, 11:24 AM
I did not have a masssage, but my DH suprised me with a facial.
It msut be, because I could not relax and found the experience to be UGH!!
She didnt do anything wrong, it was just stupid to me.
And I almost had heart failure when presented with the bill.
$110!!!!
I told my DH not to bother next time. I will save my money for Palo and the drink of the day.

pearlieq
09-28-2005, 12:49 PM
I have a cabana massage scheduled on our upcoming trip - if I'm unhappy and it isn't relaxing - what do you think my chances are of getting a refund?

Not good. The spa is run by an independent company and is really accountable to no one. The Disney cast members will not help you with issues and since the spa company essentially has a captive audience of largely uneducated consumers, they don't have a whole lot of motivation to make it right.

Given that, and the fact that the spa services are egregiously overpriced versus what you can get on land, unless your heart is absolutely set on having spa services on the ship and you're OK with blowing $120 on something you can get in a nice spa for $50 at home, skip it!

ChrizJen
09-28-2005, 12:52 PM
We had a somewhat bad experience last week with a couples massage in the spa on the Magic. We got the spa taster, and the massage itself was not bad. (not the greatest I've had, but still not bad) But the therapists didn't seem concerned at all about what we wanted or needed. Didn't ask any questions before starting or during the massage.

But overall we were kinda getting into it, and starting to relax, and over the intercom (REALLY loudly!! :earseek: ) came an alarm and an announcement that there was a crew fire drill. That was a REAL buzz kill!!! We both tensed up, and the rest of the massage was just kind of ruined.

We made a comment to the spa staff, as well as on our comment card at the end of the cruise. I know that they are required to do safety drills, and I'm glad they do. But they could maybe not pipe the alarm and announcement through the therapy rooms. JMO :rolleyes:

I probably won't get any more massages onboard. Like someone else said, I'll juat save my money and get massages here at home.

-Christal :wave:

marycaym
09-28-2005, 03:46 PM
I thought it was just me! Folks are always raving about that spa, so on our first cruise, when I had a horrible massage, I chalked it up to a bad massage gal. I actually felt like the gal was kneading my body like bread and not very good and her long (too long) nails were digging into my skin! I decided to have another on our 2nd cruise. it must just be me I thought, the second time was worse than the first! I will gladly save my money and have my massages back at home.

auntie k
09-28-2005, 03:51 PM
Ok, there are only a couple of "ok" comments, no one really raving how marvelous their's was and a lot of negative encounters...It really surprises me that Disney would allow below par service from a partner.

I love my massages at home ( 1hr- $50)so think I will cancel on the cruise and enjoy more time at Serenity Bay.

I have arthritis and it's not worth a bad experience - even if it were FREE!

jgalecpa
09-28-2005, 04:00 PM
DW has a bad back. I would often treat her to a massage on whatever cruise we were on or spa we went to.

Then one year I got the "Massage For Dummies" book.

One of the best monetary investments ever.

The book teaches the basics of body massage, foot massage, chair massage, etc.

DW says the massages I can now give (far more than just rubbing and kneading) are as good or better than most paid for massages.

She says the foot massages are especially good, after a long day in heels (She wears the heels, not me. Usually).

ALSO, the massages are most relaxing. And you know what is GREAT when you are really Relaxed?

:banana: :banana: :banana:

Jim

asreitzel
09-28-2005, 04:49 PM
What exactly do they try to sell you during a massage? More spa services? Lotions/oils?

slindamood
09-28-2005, 04:56 PM
They try to sell - - - Snake oil.

Various oils and scrubs. While doing the massage, they do an "evaluation" which is probably what one person referred to as criticizing your body, which it was, then tell you the protucts they have that will take care of those problems.

flexsmom
09-28-2005, 06:17 PM
I've had massages on both cruises and both were great. For my first I was pregnant and filled out an extensive questionnaire, followed by a lengthy conversation with the therapist (she initiated) that addressed the various oils she could NOT use due to my pregnancy. The second was a couples cabana massage and that was the same kind of experience....but not pregnant! That said, yes, they are more pricey than what I pay at home, but around here I sure can't get a 1 hour massage for $50 at any reputable place! The norm here is more like $85-90, so while it's a slight % increase to $110, it's not double what some of you are quoting. If I was in that situation it would be much harder to choke down the higher price, but for me, part of the "cruise experience" is some quality time alone at the spa!

trivial
09-28-2005, 06:41 PM
It's interesting that there appear to be massage therapists on the ships who do actually know what they're doing, and take the time to properly discuss and consider important health issues. However, given the amount of bad experiences listed here, does anyone really want to risk getting a poorly-trained hack that might screw up their back? (Even if the prices weren't lousy?) I know I don't.

fltink
09-28-2005, 08:06 PM
Well, from what I was told by a crew member, some therapists are licensed and trained massage therapists. Some are TRAINED by those massage therapists, but did not go to school for it. Kinda wierd, huh?

gdulaney
09-28-2005, 09:30 PM
Earlier this month I did one of the specials, which included the cellulite leg massage and a back massage. Pavi did a great job! We had a brief conversation of the areas that I wanted her to target and she made sure to ask if the pressure was too light or too hard. No high pressure sales speech either. One of the things that impressed me was her willingness to discuss her training and experience.

The price was not much more expensive that I would have paid in a nice spa at home.

Ginny

ladygypsy
09-28-2005, 10:51 PM
We had the couples massage last year (part of the REAS) and loved every minute of it. So they're not all bad. :)

JeffKiel
09-29-2005, 09:58 AM
I signed DW up for a hot stone massage (along with the manicure/pedicure...trying to spoil her I know). Anyone have experience with this? Would I be better off having her go locally for the massage and still to the mani/pedi?

Thoughts?

lilo62
09-29-2005, 10:06 AM
I signed DW up for a hot stone massage (along with the manicure/pedicure...trying to spoil her I know). Anyone have experience with this? Would I be better off having her go locally for the massage and still to the mani/pedi?

Thoughts?

My hubby and I did the couples aromastone massage. We LOVED it! It was the most incredible thing I ever had. I was like jello when I left. We had great MT's and they asked us question, medical conditions, where we had the most stress (shoulders, back etc) and they focused on those areas. They also asked us if we liked our massages soft, med or hard.

I can't comment on the mani/pedu thing - I always get mine done before I cruise. I would suggest manybe getting another treatment instead.

Dwingate
09-29-2005, 10:22 AM
Wow.....Wow,

We are going on our first Land and Sea deal and this is her first time at WDW period, moreless a cruise. To make it real interesting its our Honeymoon! I have planned this trip becuase I LOVE WDW!!

I have planned the Romantic package and thinking I should just skip the spa appointment. I do not want this to be a bad experence for her. From what I have read in this tread and others is that the romantic package is a waste and the spa is no fun.I dont really care about the money. I do not want her to walk away not enjoying herself. Should, and can we cancel and spend the money else where, she loves shopping,LOL. This will all be new to us and thought the rose peddles in the room would be nice, but pain for an hour, "no thanks".

P.S , Speaking of money the more I read the less is included in the cruise as far is food and drinks. How much should I plan on spending for drinks and the such? We are staying at the Swan resort and am even not sure about that place now. I picked it because I thought it would be romantic, did not know it was not even "offical Disney". Trying to up grade to GF but not having any luck as of yet. Guess im just nerves(sp) about the whole thing considering the importance of the trip.

Leaving 10-20-05 thanks for the feed back. :badpc:

nuke
09-29-2005, 11:08 AM
I came out of the spa on DCL with a backache. I will never step foot in there again. Who wants to get beat on for an hour and then spend 10 minutes refusing to buy anything all while being polite? No thank you.

I'll take my money to Hershey spa like I do every year and come away relaxed and feeling great.

goofymama
09-29-2005, 02:22 PM
Wow.....Wow,

We are going on our first Land and Sea deal and this is her first time at WDW period, moreless a cruise. To make it real interesting its our Honeymoon! I have planned this trip becuase I LOVE WDW!!

I have planned the Romantic package and thinking I should just skip the spa appointment. I do not want this to be a bad experence for her. From what I have read in this tread and others is that the romantic package is a waste and the spa is no fun.I dont really care about the money. I do not want her to walk away not enjoying herself. Should, and can we cancel and spend the money else where, she loves shopping,LOL. This will all be new to us and thought the rose peddles in the room would be nice, but pain for an hour, "no thanks".

P.S , Speaking of money the more I read the less is included in the cruise as far is food and drinks. How much should I plan on spending for drinks and the such? We are staying at the Swan resort and am even not sure about that place now. I picked it because I thought it would be romantic, did not know it was not even "offical Disney". Trying to up grade to GF but not having any luck as of yet. Guess im just nerves(sp) about the whole thing considering the importance of the trip.

Leaving 10-20-05 thanks for the feed back. :badpc:

I had good experiences at the spa - except for the hard sale. But as long as you request no sales pitch, you should be fine. If a MT is not adjusting the pressure as you request, I would just get up and leave and not tolerate it for an hour.

Anyway, its your honeymoon. Go for it. There's only a little more than a handful of negative comments here, but people are getting spa services on the Wonder and Magic every day.

And as far as the GF, if you can't get in there, try the Poly. It is awesome and would be a great honeymoon spot! :love:

Good luck

trivial
09-29-2005, 03:18 PM
I have planned the Romantic package and thinking I should just skip the spa appointment. I do not want this to be a bad experence for her. From what I have read in this tread and others is that the romantic package is a waste and the spa is no fun.I dont really care about the money. I do not want her to walk away not enjoying herself.
Most of the Romance package cost is for the spa. You can purchase other components of the package separately without having to pay for the whole thing.

There's only a little more than a handful of negative comments here, but people are getting spa services on the Wonder and Magic every day.
Sure, but to keep things in perspective, the vast majority of those people aren't reading or commenting in this thread.

Muushka
09-29-2005, 03:54 PM
Dwingate, you sound like you are going to be a fantastic husband.

Anywhoo, I think this thread may have been a little biased because of the title of the thread. Asking if you had bad massage experiences. For me it was an invitation to state my bad experience. We booked the REAS because of all of the positive feedback on these boards. I am certain that the majority of people receiving these massages are happy campers.

I think if I were to do it again (doubtful) I would be very vocal about exactly what I expected. And I would do more than just say 'ouch' alot.

Has anyone ever ran a poll on massage experiences? Might be interesting...

Tenorsinging
09-29-2005, 04:15 PM
I last cruised on the Magic on 12/03. Had nothing but wonderful, positive experiences in the spa, but also encourage you to write on the information page they give you before a service to just mention that you don't want to buy any products, and to save the pitch.

Dwingate, have you thought about getting the treatment where you can give each other massages with muds and oils and stuff?? What's it called, it starts with an R....Rasul, Rasul, Raisul....sometin like that. Could be fun for you.

Also had Cabana massage, but it was December and I was kinda cold, but therapist was good.

Lynne

jenmack
09-29-2005, 04:27 PM
I have only had one massage in my life & that was last 10//23/04 on the Disney Magic. It was MAGICal! ;) I absolutely LOVED it. So much that we are doing it again in 2 weeks when we sail on the Magic 10/15/05. We are doing the REAS. :goodvibes

Dwingate
09-29-2005, 04:39 PM
Dwingate, you sound like you are going to be a fantastic husband.

:goodvibes Thanks, that was funny, I will try.

I did look into the Exotic Rasul for two sounds like mass fun (oils, mud, and alone) well sounds like a winner THANKS. :teeth: :love2:

inkkognito
09-29-2005, 05:21 PM
We practically LIVE in the spa in our Disney cruises! Some onboard massages have been better than others, but overall I have been very pleased. I get regular massages at home, too, so I have a lot of basis for comparison. Onboard, the therapists almost invariably discuss beforehand any problem areas and tell me to ask them to adjust the pressure if it's too hard or too light. Some will even ask a time or two during the massage. Even if I don't mention my problem area (shoulders), they home right in on it...an experience therapist can feel it. If someone refused to adjust the pressure to my liking or made rude comments on my body (which admittedly could be thinner), I'd be outta there!
Barb

stampinshauna
09-29-2005, 06:01 PM
Thanks to everyone for being honest about your experiences. DH and I decided to cancel our couples massage and save the money for other excursions and shopping and stuff. I'm sure many will get great massages, but I don't want to risk $240 to find out if I'm one of the lucky.

jordanyosh
09-29-2005, 06:33 PM
Just to explain further. The Vista Spa is one of the reasons I love the DCL. The last time I went, I had 2 treatments on a 4-day cruise. Both were excellent. Both therapists were excellent and professional. I was asked all the pertinent questions. I did buy products and yes,they are very expensive. I have also used the men's face wash daily and it is just running out--over 2 years later.So, well worth the money I spent on it.

flexsmom
09-29-2005, 07:20 PM
I really don't think you are "lucky" if you get a nice, pleasurable treatment! First of all, take a look at the title of this thread - "Bad Massage Experience". It's not an invitation to the vast majority of people who have a great time at the spa! Don't get me wrong - I'm sure some people have had poor experiences there, but I really cannot believe that DCL would continue their affiliation with Steiner if it was only the "lucky" ones who had a good time!