PDA

View Full Version : Disney Video

Codie
09-27-2005, 04:51 PM
I just got off the phone with disney video and am sitting here in tears. During the ceremony they missed two very special moments--one planned that they were informed about and one very special impulsive moment. Evidently Disney is not set up to catch "moments" that are not planned or scripted. I was just pleasantly informed that the three cameras in the wedding pavilion are all there to focus on the same script and not to catch unscripted moments. Essentially you are not getting "3 camera coverage" of the event, but rather 3 angle coverage of one thing. Our dvd had many long periods of focusing on the empty altar or the doors and we thought this was odd. Now that I have gotten off the phone with the gentleman who explained that I had been previously uninformed (thus leading to the bad decision of not using stvs instead of disney) as to the purpose of having 3 cameras, I understand the long empty pictures. I thought that I was getting three camera views that would later be edited (thus the purpose of editing) into One stream of video. We saw no pictures of the crowd, other than those through our heads during the actual vows. I was told this is because the crowd is unimportant unless they have been told otherwise. I am so upset right now that I made the decision to go with Disney:( The video itself is not awful--it's a decent video--but it is missing the Moments and the Magic :sad2: .

*DisneyBride*
09-27-2005, 04:56 PM
Codie, i'm so sorry this had to happen to you. Did Disney do anything special for the video? Did they add any "Disney Magic" in other ways? They didn't even edit it down properly for you?

Codie
09-27-2005, 05:05 PM
No--they really didn't. We got the video last night and were very excited to watch it...we were a tiny disappointed. We were expecting a great video with disney magic--there was nothing. It was a decent video--very high quality but average at best on the editing. There response was sub-par. I had no idea that the three cameras would all be edited into one video right from the start. They kept talking about how they can't get the moment if it isn't in the script---but they didn't even get my parents sitting down--they flashed right to the empty altar. Now that I know "how" they tape, I understand--but how do you miss the moments!! Especially the ones they were specifically requested to tape:(

Codie
09-27-2005, 05:07 PM
There was one cool thing that we really liked...they added in canned video of the Boardwalk (like advertising videos with no people in them) before they went into our reception at the ADH. That was a little Disney Magic that I don't know if STVS can do...

*DisneyBride*
09-27-2005, 05:08 PM
that's awful! Those are just simple requests that they're suppose to know! I would demand for some money back, that's ridiculous! How can they produce something and not even put anything Disney related???

Codie
09-27-2005, 05:11 PM
that's awful! Those are just simple requests that they're suppose to know! I would demand for some money back, that's ridiculous! How can they produce something and not even put anything Disney related???

I guess the opening and closing scenes are "disney related"...they start out and end showing gloves and rings and flowers (all canned, none of my stuff) and glass slippers and ribbon with mickey heads on it.

To their credit also--the little "synopsis" of the day that they do at the end was really sweet and beautiful...

EvilinaDM101
09-27-2005, 05:13 PM
I am SO sorry to hear about that!!:( So was Disney at least sincere or maybe even apologetic about how it all turned out??

twojo21
09-27-2005, 05:13 PM
omg thats awful :( , sorry to hear this about your video jessica. hopefully your beautiful photos will give a lasting memory of your day, you could put them on a dvd & add music, even the vows if youre techy on the computer. i hope disney is giving you a partial refund, gift, something to make up for their inadequate video footage. thank goodness i have stan booked for our wedding.

*DisneyBride*
09-27-2005, 05:14 PM
Okay so maybe it's not that bad. Did they send you a demo before hand of their work? I think i would still try to get some money back or a credit for something else.

Luvndisney
09-27-2005, 05:29 PM
Hearing these horror stories makes me worry about my decision to use disney video and photo. Has anyone been happy with them?????

I feel so bad for you codie!!

Codie
09-27-2005, 05:38 PM
They did not send a demo before hand because i decided the week before the wedding to book videography. I thought Disney was cheaper than STVS (after I called STVS) and I liked the idea of the 3 cameras in the WP, so I went with them. Now Disney is more expensive, and very unapologetic for sticking to the script. They blame me for not telling them that the Moment was going to happen--how could I have known? My dh is calling them tomorrow to try to sort things out. We were going to get the raw footage (for $450) to see if we could catch the moment ourselves--but they said they only give you the 4th tape (the inline edited tape) and that they don't give you the other 3 views as they deem that to be a waste. I will see what they tell dh tomorrow, but I am very upset that I made the mistake of going with Disney because I thought that they would provide more coverage than STVS could.

kegafford
09-27-2005, 07:58 PM
I am so sorry to hear that aout your video. KNow I am thinking of pulling all of my photos from them. The more and more I hear about these issues.

Servants of Evan
09-27-2005, 10:59 PM
As someone who worked in the video industry (7 years with HGTV) I wouldn't be too suprised if the cameras weren't even iso-recording. If they know it's an event which is going to be switched live, some don't even bother with the safety of an iso recorded backup. If all three cameras were manned, there would be no excuse for long shots of an unoccupied altar, or for "not following the script." That's poor directing and crew communications, plain and simple. It's called an intercom folks, that wonderful headset device the Director and his crew are supposed to be wearing and they are to communicate. Camera 1 gets this shot, two get's that shot, three we're live with you but when we clear get another shot. It's basic directing. If they blame it on not following the script, they shouldn't have their heads burried in a script -- the world happens in front of them, and it's their job to capture it.

Servants of Evan.

rosiejo
09-29-2005, 02:29 PM
Codie - I'm so sorry to hear that your video didn't turn out how you imagined - you would hope that Disney would do a good job to capture the magic.

Can I ask what the "moment"s were that they missed? I'm intrigued...

LIGrumpyGirl
09-29-2005, 08:07 PM
I had a problem with Disney photo and wasn't too happy with the way things turned out. It took weeks of dealing with Stephanie to get it taken care of (somewhat). My coordinator did give me the name of her boss in case I needed it. I didn't but I may still have it. Let me know if you need it. (this is for disney event planning or something like that.)

Codie
09-29-2005, 10:29 PM
Codie - I'm so sorry to hear that your video didn't turn out how you imagined - you would hope that Disney would do a good job to capture the magic.

Can I ask what the "moment"s were that they missed? I'm intrigued...

There were actually a bunch...primarily they missed my husband jumping off the altar and running into the audience to see some surprise guests. But also, they made me fill out a questionairre of what I wanted covered. Now granted I made the decision to do this a week before the wedding (and 4 days before I left for florida) but they sent it to me the day before I left. I spent the night, before packing filling it out, and then gave it to my then fdh to fax the next morning. A few of the things I asked them to catch were: My father being the fob AND officiant (he had to put on his robe--missed it completely), i asked for video of the program, the flower girl reactions, a scan of the reception before it started--they got none of it. They didn't even get the audience at the ceremony or at the reception (they only taped those people dancing or who wanted to talk on video)--they told me that wasn't in the script--i hadn't asked for it...I didn't know I needed to ask for a crowd shot. As people walked down the aisle and got close to their seats the video abruptly switches to empty altar or closed doors. It's very strange.

Anyway, after my crying conversation to which I was given no answers or sympathy, my fdh called the next day. They gave him the same explanation. BUT he was told that they want to make our video better--we are supposed to email them with everything they missed and they are going to scan our raw footage and see if they can "catch" any of the moments. However, they've already told us that they just plain don't have my husband jumping off the altar. they said that they felt it was more important to tape the best man. I thought with three cameras they definitely would have gotten BOTH...

Live and learn--for those of you who haven't made the same mistake I did--please take heed and do your homework--I wish I had. :confused3

Codie
09-29-2005, 10:30 PM
I had a problem with Disney photo and wasn't too happy with the way things turned out. It took weeks of dealing with Stephanie to get it taken care of (somewhat). My coordinator did give me the name of her boss in case I needed it. I didn't but I may still have it. Let me know if you need it. (this is for disney event planning or something like that.)

What sort of problem and how did they resolve it? I so badly don't want to be upset over this--I want everything to remain wonderful and magical but I am so upset that I made a bad decision because I relied on the fact that it WAS disney and it HAD to be wonderful...

LIGrumpyGirl
09-30-2005, 02:37 PM
What sort of problem and how did they resolve it? I so badly don't want to be upset over this--I want everything to remain wonderful and magical but I am so upset that I made a bad decision because I relied on the fact that it WAS disney and it HAD to be wonderful...

I was very unhappy with the quality and quantity of photos I received. I only ended up with 37 extra proofs after my 12 pic book. I fought them and told them I wanted copies of the 12 in the folio for my own book. They said they were not part of the deal. I fought and won!

I was not happy with the photographer either. I can't remember her name though. I had to ask her to take individual pics of DH and I. Isn't that a standard thing??

Anyway...I would have picked Randy Chapman had I known. Maybe for the 10 yr VR!

Glass Slipper
10-02-2005, 04:39 PM
Did you also have the "roamer" in the Pavilion. I have been told that you have the 3 steady cameras that are set up and can also have a person walking around to get extra shots, close ups and such. I'm trying to decide which service to go with. This is a really hard decision.

Luvndisney
10-02-2005, 06:25 PM
Glass Slipper - where did you hear this form Disney? I am also trying to make a decision on video and photo. I kind of need to stick with disney for my minimums, but I am worried about their service. I would love to know if they have this, b/c I would definately invest in the extra person. Anyone else know if this is possible????

Thanks

Glass Slipper
10-02-2005, 06:48 PM
Hey...I was just at my planning session on Friday. I had read this post, so I was asking if other shots were possible with the 3 cameras in place. I expressed my concerns about not getting other moments...they mentioned that I could have a roamer with a camera at no extra charge. This was from my planner, so I'm assuming he knows. I'm going to double check with the videography people. This is really a hard decision. I keep hearing so many different things that sway me one way or the other. Hope this helps!!!

Editing for this: I'm having a custom wedding...not sure if that factors into the roamer being at no charge or not.

Luvndisney
10-02-2005, 07:16 PM
That helps alot. Hopefully this is possible for my wedding as well, because it will make me feel that everything is under control. Thanks so much :)

Codie
10-04-2005, 12:38 PM
Did you also have the "roamer" in the Pavilion. I have been told that you have the 3 steady cameras that are set up and can also have a person walking around to get extra shots, close ups and such. I'm trying to decide which service to go with. This is a really hard decision.

I was not given that option--but maybe that was my fault because I purchased the video option so late in the game:(

Laurafoster
10-05-2005, 12:10 PM
i need to stick with Disney too otherwise i will not meet my minimums but now i am getting a little concerned about the videography! does anyone have a sample or some of theirs i could see so that i can see what im likely to get?

Servants of Evan
10-05-2005, 01:28 PM
One thing to keep in mind: If the cameras you are offered are truly static or "locked down" (no pan/tilt, zoom, etc) then the odds of them missing something are greatly increased. You can think of it this way -- if you don't stand exactly on a predetermined spot, the camera can't frame up the shot and it's going to look ... :sad2: If the cameras are remotely controlled with full pan/tilt, zoom, focus than there's a much better chance of following along -- but quick "off script" moments will test the limits of your technical director. :eek: Any time you can incorporate physically manned cameras you greatly increase the ability to be flexable -- the cameramen are there watching through the viewfinder and will "follow the ball" (to use a sports analogy). Always insure the cameras or feeds are iso-recorded (each camera records the whole service). While they may try to switch the event live, having iso recorded cameras enables them to go to post-production with a hope of fixing any boo-boos and add the cut-aways any roving camera(s) may offer. Also keep in mind that for the roving camera to get some of these cut-aways, they'll be rather noticable to your guests. Sorry, but it's impossible to get some shots without actually being there :wave2:

Lastly, and I think most importantly -- see if you can get a little one-on-one time with your Director a few days before the ceremony to ensure you're all on the same page. Tell him what you hope to see, and listen to what he has to offer...

Servants of Evan

WithDisneySpirit
10-05-2005, 03:29 PM
I was sent a survey request from the Wishbook people, having signed up there a couple of months ago. Anyway, with this thread in mind, I completed the survey and gave a rating of "poor" to videography on Codie's behalf. I knew this would require comments on my part and it did. I commented that on a forum I visit that Disney has a fairly bad rep for not being able to catch the special moments especially the spontaneous kind. So, the word is out to Disney that way!

The roamer camera sounds like a great option and no it is not your fault, Jessica. It is bad luck that there wasn't more prep time for that part.

Codie
10-05-2005, 03:43 PM
WithDisneySpirit--what a perfectly picked name for you!!! Thank you for your kind words and for putting in a word for me!! Hopefully they will sort of "fix" my video to include some more special moments...My parents watched it last night and thought that, although they definitely missed a lot of key points (my mom giving me away, my dad putting on his robe, and the presentation of the presentation roses were their complaints other than missing dh's reaction) and there was a lot of dead time (staring at closed doors or empty altar), overall it was a really nicely produced piece.

WithDisneySpirit
10-05-2005, 08:07 PM
Well, I really hope Disney goes an extra mile or "ten" for y'all because there really was a lot that they missed. Let us know how the revised one looks :goodvibes :wizard: :sunny:

princessblueeyzes
10-05-2005, 08:57 PM
I am so sorry that Disney did that to you on your wedding video. Hopefully they can give you a refund or something.

Codie
11-29-2005, 05:54 PM
Wanted to give everyone an update. In response to my call and then an outline of all the "scripted" items that Disney had missed and the moments that we just had thought it was part of their job to catch (like my dad telling the guy, come on you gotta get this and the guy telling him no). We arrived home on Wednesday night (two months after we first called and expressed our dissatisfaction AND just in time for all the women of my dh's family to come over to "teach" me how to cook turkey) to find in the door a FedEx box. The FedEx box had in it two dvd boxes. One was a "revised" wedding video. (It basically has more volume in it of people talking and shows less empty altar and doors during the ceremony with more crowd pictures but didn't find any of the missed items--like my mom giving me away or my sister putting on my father's judicial robe). The second dvd box housed two dvd's containing all raw footage and all three angles of the wp's cameras. We've not had an opportunity to view the raw footage yet. The strangest thing to me, and primarily because I THINK that I am dealing with Disney here, is that there was nothing else in the box. No communication whatsoever. No explanation. We also had not received any email communication that these would be coming. It was very nice of them to send them to us. It makes me slightly happier--I wouldn't say 100% happy. I still wish I had it to do over again so I could use STVS or someone who really cared about capturing my event forever, but what's done is done. I feel that I should thank them for sending the raw footage, but yet, I just don't know. I guess they feel that sending us the raw footage makes up for everything that they failed to do, so I'm just leaving it at that. So anway...I guess if Disney thinks it is resolved, so shall I:) princess: