PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for a "second honemoon" needed!

Blue, dear.
09-09-2001, 04:07 PM
This post if for those of you who have been to WDW as a couple sans kids. Any advice for romance? And right off the bat, DH refuses to spend the $$ on Victoria and Alberts. Any other ideas? Thanks!

SeaSpray
09-09-2001, 06:56 PM
I'm interested in this, too! I'm taking DH to WDW in December for a second honeymoon, no kids :D We'll be staying at the WL, so I made a reservation to go to the Hoop Dee Doo Revue because I know DH will enjoy this.
I tried to reserve an Illuminations cruise but was unsuccessful. I did make PSs at DHs favorite Disney restaurants, like Kona Cafe, 50's Primetime, and Chef Mickey's. I also made a PS for the Garden Grill and asked for the "rehitching ceremony". We had wanted to eat there on our last trip and never got around to it, so I know he wants to eat there. I already bought tickets to MVMCP for one night, so that will be something different.
As for romance, I plan on packing some votive candles, some new silk pj's for both of us, and order a bottle of wine or champagne once we get there.
I would love any other ideas!!!

BelleMom
09-09-2001, 09:14 PM
What about dancing at the Atlantic Ballroom, at the Boardwalk? It is so pretty to take a stroll around the BW, watching the lights...
I remember there is a lounge on the top of the Contemporary, where you can sip a drink and watch the fireworks.
Watching the eletrical water pageant from the beach of your resort (you are staying at WL, right?).
I don't have much practice on going to WDW as a couple. But these are some of the things I would like to do if I ever get the chance. You never know... ;)

Blue, dear.
09-10-2001, 11:35 AM
Good ideas already! Hey SeaSpray, I did the votive/silk jammie bit before. Is he helping out at all with the planning? If not, do you plan on suprising him at all? Try a giftbag just for him and go wild, girl! Don't forget the whipped cream. ;)

After all this planning I wonder if we'll miss the kids. *L* I can just imagine, moping because the girls won't be there! Ironic, huh?

bres@westernMA
09-10-2001, 05:37 PM
The wife and I took our first vacation away from the kids (with the exception of a few weekends or overnighters) at WDW. We are from Massachusetts. We had been married 24 years. We spent one quiet day at the pool. We chose a "quiet" pool and virtually had it to ourselves. I did breakfast in bed one morning by bringing in coffee and muffins. We went resort hopping. Walked around the Boardwalk lagoon and then monorailed around the seven seas lagoon. We stopped at a couple of resorts, had a drink, ate then watched the fireworks. We spent a great day at Epcot doing old folk stuff.
Enjoy being alone and not having to run every minute. Sleep late. See a parade. Take a nap.

Disney Stockholder
09-12-2001, 08:24 AM
What about a luxurious spa treatment like a massage.

Or do something the other person loves (even if it involved golf!). You could also try something new... like Horseback riding at Ft. Wilderness.

Try to avoid the crowds as much as you can and take it slow and easy!

HookedonMagic
09-16-2001, 04:41 PM
Dinner at the Contemporary (California Grill) during the Fantasy in the Sky fireworks. Good food, good wine and great atmosphere! They dim the lights and pipe in the music for the show! My DH, who is hardly romantic in the real world, treated DD and I to this, and when the lights came up, we both found boxes from Tiffanys on our plates! Great memory! Great husband!:D

HookedonMagic
09-16-2001, 04:44 PM
We love to stroll in through the back entrance to Epcot in the evening, sample a glass of wine at France and enjoy Illuminations. Romantic (and cheap, too!)

minniern
09-16-2001, 06:23 PM
We are a married couple of 10 years with no kids (not for lack of trying). We go to WDW every year and "act like kids". For our "second honeymoon" last year we went all out......we stayed at the Comteporary in a tower room with a magic kingdom view. It was very romantic to watch the fireworks from our balcony in our sexiest lingerie (made for some good fireworks after too).

We did alot of character meals and really just enjoyed ourselves. My DH was so embarassed when we saw Mickey at the Garden Grill and I started screaming and ran up to hug him.

For our most romantic evening we went over to the GF spa and had a "Grand Romantic Evening" it consisted of a 50 minute massage, we were in the same room on tables side by side with soft candlelight and instrumental music. It was the best hour of the whole trip. It was expensive but definately worth it. My DH was resistant to try a massage before but now he is a believer. The only downside is that now he expects a massage as a part of every vacation.....

The most important thing to remember is to have fun and focus on each other!!!!!

Blue, dear.
09-17-2001, 02:53 PM
Whoa minni! You did the ultimate romance trip, there...

Well I'll never top minni so I may as well give up. :D

I should probably point out that I'm lookin' for specific things to do that are free. YOu know like, "Hey sit under that tree in France at about 7pm and watch the twinkly lights" - that sort of thing. ;)

spiceycat
09-19-2001, 09:48 AM
the WL is one of the more romantic hotels at WDW.

do you like to walk - the stroll to FW is nice

walk around the resort - it is beautiful - do the free tour

they have a hayride ($8.00 or less) that would be fun and not too expensive

get you a place on the beach to watch the electric water pagen.

be sure to see the geyser go off (every hour I think)

do you like animals - Wl has a lot of animals - you can feed them or just watch

take the boat to the Contemporary and then the monrail to the Polynesian, and walk
along the beach in front of the Polyn to the GF (at night).
:bounce:

there are quiet rooms(?) between the floors - (you will see them on the tour) with
a fireplace and chairs over looking the lobby -

Blue, dear.
09-19-2001, 12:23 PM
Now THIS was the sort of thing I was lookin' for! Thanks Spicey! :D

SillyOleBear
09-30-2001, 05:23 PM
My DH and I went to Disney for our honeymoon last year and it was the most romantic and magical experience! The Fireworks Cruise on Breathless was really wonderful -- just the two of you out on the water watching the fireworks in the sky. We also went on a Fishing Excursion (my DH loves to fish) and for a Horseback Ride one morning. Strolls on the Boardwalk at night are always romantic -- and don't cost a penny. The Atlantic Dance club is a lot of fun too. A lot of the resorts have hot tubs that are open late at night, why not try one of those? Hope you have a wonderful second honeymoon!! ;)

simonmunro
09-30-2001, 08:21 PM
I've read a few threads on something called goodnight kiss during the closing at Magic Kingdom? In all my trips to DW I've never seen it but it sounded really romantic. If you do a search I'm sure you'll find it. Also I would highly recommend dinner at Palio's at the Swan. It is relaxing and romantic and I didn't think the prices were too high (check the menus area here or at Deb's). We also love the Yachtsman Steakhouse and for a romantic dessert go by Chefs de France late and share a beautiful dessert and a couple of coffees outside. Have a great vacation!

Blue, dear.
10-01-2001, 12:21 PM
Ooh! I love the dessert/sit outside idea.

Thanks for all the great ideas guys. I can't wait to take your advice!:bounce:

dvc_bwv
10-07-2001, 07:23 PM
DH and I spent a week at WL a few years ago and it was wonderful.

Go out late in the evening (maybe 10 or so) and spend some time in the hot tub, take a glass of wine or something with you and if you're lucky no one else or very few will be there.

Dinner at Artist Point is excellent and can be very romantic, although a bit expensive, but we thought it was worth it....and make sure you order the berry cobbler for dessert. If you don't go there for dinner, order the berry cobbler in your room from room service. It is to die for!!! Splurge on yourselves for at least one nice dinner. (As stated above the California Grill at the Contemporary is also nice if you can get PS for a time when the fireworks are going off in MK. We've done this too, but unfortunately they weren't having fireworks that night, but the dinner was well worth it.)

Another thing at the WL...ask at the front desk to be a "flag family". This is great also, especially if you get Ranger Stan. The Ranger will take you up on the roof of the Lodge and you get to help either raise the flag in the AM or lower it in the PM. Take your camera..you can see for miles. DH and I did this and after you get a certificate with your names on it stating that you were the flag family.... This is only for people staying at WL and it most definitely is not just for kids. It's wonderful!

ENJOY!!

Blue, dear.
10-09-2001, 10:02 AM
I've never heard of the "flag family" idea before! Sounds neat to be able to see all around. So does the ranger let you stay up there for a bit - or is it a rush-rush thing?

Geebs
10-11-2001, 12:18 PM
My suggestion would be to head over to the Animal Kingdom Lodge at night. We visited this place this past August and we were blown away with the resort. It is so quiet and peaceful. Head outside behind the pool to check out hte animals, talk with the wildlife experts (we did for almost an hour) and just stroll along. We also went into a lounge(god help me, I can't remember the name of it for the life of me) and relaxed as we had some drinks. The bartender in there was fantastic...he told us all about the resort and and some of the African wines that they serve. The resort was just wonderful to be in at night.
Another great option is to head over towards the Boardwalk and beach club at night too. You can walk between the resorts and just enjoy the beautiful area there. Plus, you can see a little bit of Illuminations from there too. One final way is to bring a bottle of wine or my favorite ,Champagne and toast yourselves.

DJBounce
10-12-2001, 10:17 AM
One of my fondest memories is of our first trip in March of 99. We spent the evening at WS and watch Illuminations. When it was over, many people started to heard towards the exits. We decided to take our time and just walk around the showcase and slowly make our way to Epcot and to the exits there. There was hardly anybody around and the streetlights were still on. It was a nice, cool, clear, and quiet night and we just walked and held hands. It was very comforting and nice.

wendylovesdisney
11-06-2001, 11:46 AM
Seaspray - what is the "rehitching" ceremony?
And what is the "goodnight kiss" ?
Thanks!

SeaSpray
11-06-2001, 09:36 PM
wendylovesdisney:

The rehitching ceremony is something they do at the Garden Grill restaurant in Epcot. I haven't experienced this personally yet, but I've read other people describe it and it sounds like a lot of fun. If you are going to celebrate an anniversary or simply want to renew your marriage in a fun, Disney way, they give you a certificate and make you kiss while they count to 100 (by 10's. lol) If you do a search on the restaurants board, you will find many posts that describe this better than I just did :)

poohraedopey
11-10-2001, 10:10 PM
All great tips! We are taking our FIRST honeymoon well belated honeymoon anyways and cant wait. I think every moment will be romantic! SOem great tips I've been finding here will ensure that!