PDA

View Full Version : Scrapbooking - where to start?

MazdaUK
09-27-2005, 06:42 AM
OK, its a bit late (as I made my own using a post-bound photo album for my memories from CSR), but I'd like to get into scrapbooking for the next big holiday (to Canada next year). Where do I start?

I'm a little behind with putting photos in ordinary albums (younger DS is 6 soon and I've only stuck in up to his 1st Christmas in 1999!) so I'm also wondering whether I should also do books for other holidays once I've filled in those albums looking at me reproachfully.

Supplies are so expensive in Hobbycraft I might have to wait until we're in Canada anyway.

Any help and advice much appreciated! :teeth:

goofymom/pop
09-27-2005, 08:15 AM
I would first find a system to organize the photos you have. I am not a Creative Memories consultant but I do highly recommend the power sort box. It holds 2400 pictures in little individual files with their own little white dividers. All of this is photo safe. This way all your past photos are at least safely stored and in order. So say if you want to see Christmas 2000, you can just pull out your little Christmas file and voila...there are the pics. Love this box! You will be surprised how many pics you actually have tucked away under the bed, in the drawers etc. It holds up to 5x7 size in the little boxes.

After that if you want to do your first official scrapbook I would start with something current like you mentioned next years vacation. Thats always easiest as its fresh in your mind.

Check out different albums. Some here love the postbound top loading style, others the Creative Memories strap hinge style. Take your time with this, really look at the albums. Are you a big photo bug...then you will want to use a 12x12 album, take minimal pics then maybe 81/2 x 11 would work for you. Most likely you will try a few before you settle on the style you will think works best for you. My first ones were spiral bound no page protectors....good heavens what was I thinking.... :rolleyes:

Next is tools, you will need good scissors, adhesive (acid free), a paper trimmer, good pens and some paper. I would hold off on the paper until you see what pictures you take and then match it up. This way you don't spend more than you need to until you find your style. Again, here is where I really think the Creative Memories beginners class comes in handy. They give you good tips on how to get organized, choose colors, etc. But don't be alarmed if you find a consultant that only wants you to use CM products, you can use anything you like from your Local craft stores as long as its photo safe, acid free, lignin free. My consultant loves her CM products, but never says a word if we use different stuff in our albums, even at one of her crops. CM also offers a product collection that is a great way to start. Its what my neighbor did. She held a class and then bought the collection at a reduced rate with her class $$..here is the link. YOu can always add the different parts of the collections to your Christmas wish list if you don't want to buy the whole thing. Breaking it up makes it more cost effective for say your hubby, your kids....tell them what you like and let them order it for you from a local consultant. Plus if you use the same consultant she will mark a memory keepers card for you and you earn more products free.

http://www.creativememories.com/productcollectionsheetUS.pdf

If your local store seems high, you can check out some online sites that offer % off coupons and low shipping to stock up on tools and such. Right now
creativexpress is offering a 40% coupon which is really nice. Keep checking this site also as we are great at spending each others money. :rotfl:

Oh well, you will get lots of opinions here, we all love different things. What ever you do just have fun with it. There is no real right or wrong except for using photo safe products.

Welcome to the best hobby in the world.

MazdaUK
09-28-2005, 04:34 AM
Thank you so much Cindy!

I pointed out to my Dh how much cheaper the stuff is in the US and would you believe, he didn't think we would save enough to justify a WDW holiday so we could pop into Walmart and all the other great shops to buy my stuff :rotfl: :rotfl2:

BernardandMissBianca
09-28-2005, 07:21 AM
Great job breaking it down Cindy! Where were you when I got started LOL

This is my story.....
I just started scrapping last year. I did by the Creative Memories picture power sorter and I love it. I put all of my pictures in by event, place, or person(us and the kids). It was the best place to start. This also showed me about how many books I may need eventually.
My currents albums in progress are:
christmas - which starts after DS9 was born
animals - we love nature and the zoo
genealogy - did my dads side of the family and mow I'm working on moms
WDW - July 2004 trip
WDW - August 2005 (me and Mom)

I like post bound albums because it's easy for me to add pages. I also use 12x12 because DH takes tons of pictures.

Oh late for school!!!!! Just remember to have fun! There is no right or wrong way, just your way.
Oh and check out twopeasinabucket.com for ideas.
Good luck!