PDA

View Full Version : United Airlines Operated by US Airways?

Michelina
09-26-2005, 09:08 PM
I just double checked my flight info for Thanksgiving and noticed that my United flight is actually a US Air flight? Funny thing is that my friend is flying on a "US Air" flight and our return trip is at the exact same time. Do you think that we're going to be on the same flight even though I'm booked w/ United? Did that even make sense, LOL? Thanks! :sunny:

paladin
09-26-2005, 09:18 PM
These are what are called "code shares" in the travel industry. They are joint marketing ventures where both carriers advertise and sell the flight (though not the same seats, obviously). And yes, you probably are on the same flight as your friend.

Piecey
09-26-2005, 10:54 PM
like paladin said they're called codeshares. It just means that United doesn't fly that route that time of day and they "purchased" seats on the US Air flight that does. Airlines do this all the time.

It's not really that big of a deal and the flight number you see is actually going to be the USAIR flight number. United won't even create one since they're not flying it.

So if the flight numbers match, you're on the same flight!

DebbieB
09-26-2005, 11:18 PM
like paladin said they're called codeshares. It just means that United doesn't fly that route that time of day and they "purchased" seats on the US Air flight that does. Airlines do this all the time.

It's not really that big of a deal and the flight number you see is actually going to be the USAIR flight number. United won't even create one since they're not flying it.

So if the flight numbers match, you're on the same flight!

Actually, that's not correct. United will have it's own flight #. I've been at the gate on a code share and it will flash back and forth between the 2 numbers. Like USAirways 343, United 5403.

The main reason they codeshare is to make more seemless connections to cities one or the other doesn't serve. You can also get frequent flyer miles on the airline you book with. Say I belong to USAir Dividend Miles and want to fly to a city United serves, I book it through USAir and get USAir miles even though I flew on a United plane.

Piecey
09-26-2005, 11:22 PM
Actually, that's not correct. United will have it's own flight #. I've been at the gate on a code share and it will flash back and forth between the 2 numbers. Like USAirways 343, United 5403.

The main reason they codeshare is to make more seemless connections to cities one or the other doesn't serve. You can also get frequent flyer miles on the airline you book with. Say I belong to USAir Dividend Miles and want to fly to a city United serves, I book it through USAir and get USAir miles even though I flew on a United plane.

I've never known United to do that.

Michelina
09-26-2005, 11:23 PM
Thanks for the info! You're right DebbieB, I have a United flight number and friend has a US Air flight number. That was going to be my next question. I guess when we check the flight boards we'll both be at the same gate even with our different numbers.

DebbieB
09-26-2005, 11:31 PM
I've never known United to do that.

I see it pretty often because I fly out of Pittsburgh, which is dominated by USAir and they codeshare many of their flights with United.

safetymom
09-27-2005, 05:56 AM
DebbieB is correct. You should be able to find out when you check the airline websites if they are the same flight. The day before you should be able to see the gate assignment for both flights.

tkldisney
09-27-2005, 10:17 AM
Your flight was booked through United but you will actually be flying US Air. When you get to airport you will check in with US Air not United. It should say this on your tkt. You might even be checking in on-line but didn't want you to stand in line at UAL just for them to tell you to go to US Air. Since your friend is probably on same flt. maybe you can change seating to be together.

seashoreCM
09-27-2005, 10:25 AM
I have seen gates with two airline names and flight numbers posted, and have seen video screens flashing two airline codes and flight numbers back and forth, for code share flights.

I have also seen each airline's flight listed separately and you can obviously tell it is the same plane because the gate number and departure time are the same (except if one airline and not the other is playing games with the departure time and with the passengers over a delayed flight).

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

Michelina
09-27-2005, 12:46 PM
Thanks for all the info! I am planning to check in online, I hate standing in line at the airport. I think what I'll do is check the screens for United flights and then look at US Air and just verify that it's the same gate number and then go from there!