PDA

View Full Version : Week of Sep 25 - 2006 Half-Full Marathon Info/Training Thread

chimera
09-24-2005, 09:18 PM
Hello everyone!

For those new to us, we're a group of people who are planning to participate in the 2006 and/or 2007 Disney Half or Full marathons. We range from non-running beginners to triathletes. Come join us!

Here's the Marathon FAQ, a great place to answer your marathon questions:
Disney Marathon FAQ (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=725285)
And some websites for further running/walking info:
http://www.runnersworld.com
http://www.coolrunning.com
http://www.halhigdon.com
http://www.running4women.com/
http://www.runnergirl.com/index.shtml
http://www.katherineswitzer.com/fitness.html
The John Bingham site:
http://www.waddleon.com/
Jeff Galloway's site:
http://www.jeffgalloway.com/

Pacing Calculator (http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/Running%20University/Article%201/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm)

Compromised on my 5K today. I decided not to do the 5 miles yesterday (thanks for the advice, Carrie!), but increased my pace for the 5K to W3/R2. I'm supposed to start that next week anyway, so thought why not! I was hoping to finish in under 45 to beat my last 5K. Today's clock time was 41:43 :banana: The frustrating/irritating part of that...a group of about 10 of us were held up by a police officer who wanted to move some traffic, so my time would have been a LOT closer to 41:00! My Garmin time was 41:18...I turned it off while we were stopped for the traffic. But still overall very happy with my time...I've come a long way since my first 5K at 49:59.

Heather...glad to see you're okay! I'm glad you didn't get stuck in that traffic trying to get out and that you were able to ride the storm out fairly well!

kath...wtg on your half! :banana: Sounds like a tough course.

TIff...wtg on your first 5K! :banana: My Garmin never exactly agrees with the course either, but then most races, I'm not sure where the official start line is since I start in the back of the pack. And I often forget to turn the Garmin off when I cross the finish :blush:

Lisa...great pace! Which bridge did you run? How's your back holding up?

Krista...fabulous pace! Cadillac looks like he'll be fun, but I still miss Warren Sapp and John Lynch :guilty: Excited that the Gators are still undefeated as of today! :cheer2:

Carrie...how did your 8 miles go? And your busy weekend?

Cam...how 'bout you? Looks like we're all running around crazy this weekend.

So...anyone ready to order WISH team tshirts?

chimera
09-24-2005, 09:24 PM
Bumping above last week and adding a soccer wrap-up for Craig ;)

DD12 is playing up two levels at U15 and lost a heartbreaker in a tournament today. They gave up one goal on a missed offsides call and had an own goal from an inexperienced keeper. Still a chance to make the finals tomorrow though!

TiffJ
09-25-2005, 07:31 AM
Thanks Mel for the encouragement. I am excited I have my first race under my belt. I'm going to be doing another one on 10/15. It's for breast cancer so I'm really excited about that one.

I'm ready for that awesome WISH board t-shirt!

I love my Garmin. I think it will be a very helpful training tool. I'm supposed to do 4 miles today but the weather might not be cooperating & the gym is closed on Sundays.

Glad our Texas WIshers are o.k.!

keenercam
09-25-2005, 09:37 AM
Hi, Mel! Awesome time!!!! You must be so proud of yourself! That is such a HUGE improvement all at once! I have had those frustrating experiences with police officers too, but with me, I have sensed an attitude that because I am walking, it doesn't really matter much if they hold me up. That was disappointing, but I got past it! :teeth:

No workouts this weekend after a 5:45 a.m. commitment to help run a pancake breakfast yesterday and working all day today. Training plan starts 1 week from today, and I am gearing myself up to really stick to that commitment regardless of the work and personal demands on my time.

So great to see how well everyone is doing. Gosh, I can't wait to meet you guys. There have been so many times where you guys have been my lifeline to this new lifestyle and you didn't even know it. I wish I could give each and every one of you a :hug:!

Oh, and I am definitely ready for a tee shirt! I realized today that I would actually go out in public in a tech tee shirt. The 3x/4x shirts I was wearing 8 months ago are going in the goodwill bag and the 1xs are now my oversized shirts to wear over my sausage shorts! ;) So, I think I could actually wear one of those wicking shirts without too much embarassment!

Lisa loves Pooh
09-25-2005, 10:09 AM
I am about ready to just chop off of my legs!

I am having knee problems...

Do we have any Massage therapists here. The only thing I have found that makes any sense is that possibly I have so much build up in the trigger points...the couple that I have found--plus massage a certain area on my quad, provide instant relief...though the achiness comes back. Did this yesterday. Today--the pain is mostly gone...did wear heels to church this a.m. but ditched them as soon as I got home.

Taking an ibuprofen/painkiller--icing...and will begin doing some stretching. I won't be running this week--probably swim in the pool to make up the time/energy expenditure. And then do the long run on Saturday to see if any difference was made.

I am just baffled and stumped b/c none of this makes any sense at all. No trauma. Probably a little too much speed in the past couple of weeks.

Any ideas on that trigger point theory?

monte
09-25-2005, 10:26 AM
I started to incorporate alittle jogging into my walks. I have to start out slow since I have a bad knee, but so far so good. :cool1:

plutosmyfav
09-25-2005, 10:39 AM
Heather-- glad you are safe, I've been worried about you.

Lisa-- I'm so sorry your knees are acting up.

TiffJ-- Yeah for your 5K :cheer2: Excellent!

Kath-- Congrats on the Half! Sounds like a killer. I have a "hilly" half next Saturday. I'll be able to empathize :grouphug:

I am a little disappointed with my performance this weekend. I planned a 12 miler which is short for me and expected it to be easy. It wasn't. My overall pace was worse than last week's 15 miler :confused3 (and I haven't done a real long run in weeks). But I ran Friday night, Sat morning and then right into DDs Wog, totallying 22.7 miles in 18 hours. Maybe that's not enough rest. Friday night was a 6.5 miler with avg pace 9:47, Sat Am as 12.2 miles, here's the splits:

Sept 24
1 9:37
2 9:51
3 9:29
4 9:58
5 10:26
6 9:52
7 10:48
8 9:40
9 9:27
10 9:11
11 9:25
12 9:00
.2 8:52

Overall pace: 9:43

DD's wogs are progressing nicely. I just checked the stats and see that she's gone from an overall pace of 14:01 to 12:20 and increased distance from 2.5 miles first time out to 4.0 miles. (Don't you just hate teenagers!!!!! :earboy2: ) I told her she'll be ready for a 5K in the spring. That would be great.

I'll be tapering this week for Applefest. Woo Hoo. My big concern this week will be psyching myself up, do I try to go all out for the best time I can, or do I settle in and enjoy it? I know the wise choice is to settle in and enjoy it. I'm not often the wisest gal around.

One observation I have made recently is that I often feel very tired and "ready to quit" around mile 4-5. I will remind myself of this on race day and not panic. I don't seem to hit my stride until way into the run (mile 6 or 7).

Once the half is out of the way I'm going to get serious about my distance again.

Sunny

keenercam
09-25-2005, 10:57 AM
Lisa -- I am so sorry you are having trouble with your knees. I have NOTHING to offer in the way of advice -- just :hug: and :wizard:

Sunny -- I can't imagine your body can take that kind of stress with so little sleep. Back off a little, kiddo, and enjoy all the "pieces". Kudos to your DD for improving so much!

Tiff-- Congratulations! It's great for us beginners that there are so many opportunities, but there is a real threat of becoming addicted to the whole "find another 5K" quest! ;) We may try to do one Wednesday night for the American Red Cross with all money going to Katrina relief efforts.

Mel -- Forgot to extend my congratulations to your DD for her soccer team's awesome efforts in the tournament game. Hope all goes well today!!! :wizard:

Monte -- I learned the hard way not to push too hard when first adding jogging, and, thanks to my buddies here, I learned not to get discouraged if my walking pace slowed a little as I recovered from those jogging intervals. Enjoy!

So jealous -- It is a gorgeous day here and DH (KeenHo) went out to the track to get in a long run (he has been doing 9-11 miles at a shot to get ready for his 15K on 10/9). Hope you all have nice cool, sunny weather where you are! :sunny:

TXBelle
09-25-2005, 12:31 PM
It sounds like everyone is doing great in their training. I did 5 miles last night. This morning I rode my bike 11.44 miles. I wanted to ride more, but the wind was making the ride a stonker. I decided to stop for now and maybe try to go out again tonight. It is back to work tomorrow. The kids are out of school until Wednesday due to Hurricane Rita. They want everyone who evacuated to take their time getting home.

I sure hope Melissa is surviving on her adventure race. Here's lots of PD so that she makes it back safely. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

solotraveler
09-25-2005, 12:52 PM
Hi everyone!

Tiff- Congrats on your 5K!! That's wonderful!

Kath- great job on the half! Have you ever done the Marine Corps full?? I'm a DC native and was thinking about going home to run the '06 MCM and was looking for people's experiences.

Sunny- :worship: Don't sell yourself short-- I would LOVE to be able to run 12 miles at your pace! Great job!

Lisa- Ouch, sorry about those knees. :guilty: No advice other than to take it easy and take care of those bad boys!

Thank you all so much for helping me through my running funk last week. I really appreciate it! That said (teensy small voice.... i skipped my 8 miler this weekend...teensy small voice) I know, I know--- SO BAD! Long story short, I set myself up to fail and miss that run. I debated with myself about trying it Saturday, but the MFM plan clearly says that if you miss a run, it's gone. Can't make it up, move on to the next one.

Today I did my 45 minutes (3 run/2 walk) and did 4.93 miles for a 9:07/mile pace. :goodvibes During my run this morning, I realised that maybe it was a good thing to miss that run, get ticked off and get my head back in the game. Even when it started to rain halfway through, :rolleyes: I didn't care--- I was running and that's what I WANTED to be doing right then. So it looks like I'm back in the saddle, right where I need to be. Not going to miss any workouts this week!!

Happy training everyone!
Solotraveler :earsboy:

Lisa loves Pooh
09-25-2005, 01:25 PM
I started to incorporate alittle jogging into my walks. I have to start out slow since I have a bad knee, but so far so good. :cool1:

I do 4:1 intervals....I may keep that up but just jog slower. :(

Bought a knee brace--the simplest kind (like an ace bandage--and no hole for the kneecap). They only had one in my size, so only one knee gets it...amazing difference. Wish I new how it worked to get a better idea of the culrpit.

monte
09-25-2005, 04:23 PM
I should look into getting a knee brace. I have 2 screws in my left knee, thanks to a poor attempt to ski......we live across the street from a ski lift, but NEVER again.....

It's gorgeous here now with all the leaves changing color.....I just love walking on the bike path, along the creek, and enjoying the Aspens' colors. I'm so into the scenery I forget the miles! ;)

princessmomma
09-25-2005, 04:40 PM
Wow, everyone is doing so well!! Isn't it wonderful when you see the improvement?

I had a 10 miler on Friday, finished in 1:44 minutes, which is about a 10:30 mph pace. It felt really good. I took it nice and easy and felt great the rest of the day too. Yesterday was a rest day and today I had a 45 minute recovery run. Funny how I felt, it was a run to sort of work the kinks out. I ran it a little too fast and I am paying for it now.

Solo, so glad to feel better about running. I am glad you posted that comment about missing a run then just move on. Sometimes, I can get down on myself if I don't go by the book.

TxBelle, good job on your 5 miler, glad you are safe!

Sunny, 22 miles in 18 hours!!! I would be horizontal for a week!

monte, that is great that you are starting to jog a bit, I really don't know if I could keep up a 16 minute mile walking without breaking into a little jog here and there. Take it easy and you will be surprised how your endurance builds up.

Lisa, now no chopping off legs today! I hope the knee brace works.

Cam, wow, do I ever relate to your comment about the people here being a support system for us. I find a lot of encouragement and helpful hints here as well. You are doing so well, keep it up.

Tiff! Awesome first race! Doesn't it feel great? Just love the excitement that comes with race day.

Have a great week everyone,

Colleen

zoegirl
09-25-2005, 05:52 PM
Hey Everybody!! :wave:
Remember me????
I am sorry I have not posted in a few weeks, I just haven't made the time. I recently started back to work full time (well 4 days a week) and by the time I go by the gym or run in the evenings I really don't want to play on the computer at home. PLUS my DH hasn't traveled in a couple weeks so I've wanted to spend the extra time with him. He's been traveling every week for the last year and a half. Glad to have him home but boy have our grocery bills gone up :) .
I do however read your posts when I have a few spare minutes at work, and it looks as if every one is well on their way....
We (Christa, her DH and I) started our double runs this week to train for the goofy. We ran 6 on Thursday and 12 on Friday. Neither was a bad run, although Thursday morning I decided since I was "only" running 6 I wouldn't do the normal coffee/food thing before the run (how snobby was that?). Not a smart choice, I struggled through most of the run. I guess not deviating from the routine is a good thing right? I was really nevous about the 12 miler on Friday, not that the mileage was bad, we had run around 16 a couple of weeks ago, I was just nervous about running long back to back days. Thanks to Christa's smart thinking we did really well...well I think we did anyway. She said in the beginining that we were going to make ourselves start slow then pick up the pace towards the end. She was right, by taking it slow I had more energy towards the end, and didn't feel completely sapped when we stopped. Not that I wasn't tired but I still felt pretty good. That will be hard on race day because of the excitement but it's a good goal to try to have.
Other than that everything is pretty boring, it's the same thing every week, run, bike, run, bike, rest, run.......blah, blah.
I hope you all are doing well too. I am excited about meeting everyone, and can't wait to see how everyone will fair in the coming weeks. One of the cool signs you will see during the race is one that says "Sports do not build character, they reveal it." I have thought about that quote often over the last couple years. For those of you that are doing this for the first time, you will soon see what I'm talking about. It says alot about your character that you are willing to get up and run for 6, 10, 15, 20+ miles, and when you feel like quiting (and you will believe me) you keep pushing ahead towards the goal.
I hope everyone has a good training week, I promise I won't wait so long to post again.

Until Later,
Bree

Rockclimber
09-25-2005, 07:01 PM
I am about ready to just chop off of my legs!

I am having knee problems...

Do we have any Massage therapists here. The only thing I have found that makes any sense is that possibly I have so much build up in the trigger points...the couple that I have found--plus massage a certain area on my quad, provide instant relief...though the achiness comes back. Did this yesterday. Today--the pain is mostly gone...did wear heels to church this a.m. but ditched them as soon as I got home.

Taking an ibuprofen/painkiller--icing...and will begin doing some stretching. I won't be running this week--probably swim in the pool to make up the time/energy expenditure. And then do the long run on Saturday to see if any difference was made.

I am just baffled and stumped b/c none of this makes any sense at all. No trauma. Probably a little too much speed in the past couple of weeks.

Any ideas on that trigger point theory?

Hey Lisa,

Have you ever considered that your knee pain may be associated with a tight IT band? That was my problem this past May. I went to an orthoped and then to a PT. Even though my pain was in my knee, kinda on the outside, they said my problem was actually located in my hip.

The Iliotibial band (sp) IT for short is a large band that connects the knee to the hip. What apparently happens is that when the IT band is tight it "strums" over the bulge of bone in the knee. Pain will usually begin after a few miles and let me tell you it goes from an ache to a limping pain with added mileage. The actual solution is not found around the knee, but up in the hip area. The course of treatment is IB profen and ice. It is best to use an ice massage technique. When your knee is hurting use a frozen water bottle and massage the knee for 10-15 min. Limit your running to mileage that doesn't hurt. For example if it begins hurting at 2 miles, stop and walk. Increase your mileage as the pain subsides. After each short run, say 6 miles or less do a series of stretches. It is pointless on runs longer than 6 miles. My normal stretching routine takes between 20 - 40 mins. Seems like a long time, but it is so well worth it. Work on Runner type stretches. Some great stretches for the IT band are: http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/itband.html
http://www.nismat.org/ptcor/itb_stretch/
I cant find a link for my favorite IT stretch, so I'll try to describe it. Get down on one knee, now take the leg that is forward and cross it so it is now on the ground in front of you (with the sole of that foot now facing your the opposite side), slide you back leg further back until you are practically laying down. the farther forwar you bring your body and the farther down you push your pelvis the more you will feel the outside of the leg stretch. If you feel you are uncomfortable in this position simply roll over to that side. I hold every stretch for 1 min. The final thing to do is a deep tissue massage. The PT sold me a dense foam roll that is about 8 inches in diameter. Place the roll under your leg, turn your body so the roll is on the outside of your leg, quad area, and using your arms to balance place your weight on the roll. Now roll the leg back and forth. Break the area into thirds, start with the knee area and run your leg over it for 15 seconds, then move the roll up on your leg, around mid thigh, then finally from the buttocks to the upper hip area. At first it will be very hard and will acutally hurt, but gradually you will be able to tolerate more and more time. This technique will lengthen that fibrous band. The purpose of a deep tissue massage like this is to very gradually and gingerly tear those fiber, so they will heal faster and stronger, much the same way lifting weights works. You can use a swim noodle , but it is not as dense and won't get as deep of a massage. I have been doing this technique since May and what I first thought was a run ending injury I have amazed myself at just how great I feel after a run. No more pain in the knee.

Other runner type stretches include stretching the piriformis, gluteals, hamstring, quads, and Gastrocsoleus (calf).

I hope this helps any of you who are having knee problems possibly associated with IT band. A runner never knows about the IT band until he/she hurts it, then we become experts. Also feel free to send me a personal e-mail, the PT gave me a ton of illustrations of the stretches. I can always fax them to you. May save you a trip to the orthoped.

Dave

littlegreydonkey
09-25-2005, 07:42 PM
Well I'm back in NZ so it's back to the long posts - and actually being able to read how everyone is doing properly instead of skimming it at a rate of knots. Glad everyone is well. Well, I only managed to miss one long run while I was away in London (late night, too much vodka, last time I was going to see friends for a year etc etc etc) but I then ended up in Singapore on the 29th floor of a hotel with an outside lift - did I mention I don't like heights!. There is an inside lift that goes to floor 21, but after climbing 8 flights about 3 times in one morning in 30 degree heat, the idea of heading down to the gym didn't appeal so I skipped my short runs last week - and ooooh did I feel it on my 10 miler this weekend - not to mention the fact that I had a headwind there AND back - how can that be?. Still all better now - sadly however, I have come back to find out that my 'supersize dog' running buddies seem to be doing a marathon in about 6 weeks and so tonight my nice 3 mile run I was scheduled to do this evening seems to have turned into a 8 miler (including a 4 mile 'race') - and that's taking the easy option, they're all doing the 6 mile race!!! will let you know how that went tomorrow (I don't think it's going to be pretty).

Anyway, just thought I'd let you know I was back. Helen

Calcio
09-25-2005, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the soccer update Mel. I'm always ready to hear about or watch a match. Those own goals are a killer. Anyone who has played a lot has one to talk about. Mine came in September of 1975 in a college game, played in my hometown with my father and girlfriend watching, an attempted bicycle clear at the 6 which sadly went right into the upper corner. After it happened I looked over at my Dad and he gave me the goat laugh. :rotfl:

This weekend has been one of the good ones. Woke up Saturday at 6:15 to 50 degree temps and low humidities. Out running by 7 a.m. and did 10.1 effortless miles. My best run in years, and I could have done the 13.1 at the same pace without too much fatigue.

Back home, ice and shower, and back to campus for Alumni weekend. Saw the alumni soccer game (those guys could play a few years ago, but now they stink, very funny to watch), saw lots of alums from recent years, then watched our men win 3-0.

Home for dinner, then out to Gillette Stadium to watch the Revs beat NY/NJ 1-0 in a very entertaining match.

Today a good lift session and 45 hard minutes on the bike.

2 excellent workouts, 3 soccer matches, and one afternoon with many young adults who I thought a lot of when I had them in class.

At times like this I use a favorite line of a good friend, "is this a great country or what?"

Craig

gatorphipps
09-25-2005, 08:53 PM
Hey all!
Tiff - A big congrats to you on your race! WTG!! :banana: :cool1: :banana: I still remember my 1st 5k! It will always be something you look back on with fond memories!

Kath - Great 1/2! Congrats to you too! You are so on your way! :banana: :teeth: :banana:

Sunny - Your 12 mile time was great so don't be disappointed (sp?). Please don't over do it. There is such a thing as too much training.

I see my running partner is back online! :cool1: It was a great double run this weekend. I was not even hurting. If anyone knows about Charlotte then they know about the East Blvd hill. That is the end of all our long runs (or Morehead Rd - I call it Morehell) and it is a hill that is around 2 miles long. I have to say is is not a small hill either. I hate hills! We also have 2 other hills like that @ mile 3 and 6....so to say I was not sore is a great thing. I wish I had a Garmin (Grimlin :rotfl: ) so I could show you the grades of these hills....
The only thing that hurt me was acid reflux (sp?). :guilty: I had to take 4 tums (and had to stop an buy the last 2 in a pack). Never had it until this go around with training. Hits @ mile 6. I am not sure what to do b/c I only have it when I long run over 6 miles. :confused3 It is a big pain - no pun....

Well later! Christa

perfectmatch300
09-25-2005, 10:11 PM
I'm starting to get back into training now that the bulk of our move is done. Walked for about an hour today but not sure how far I went as I haven't measured the new neighborhood yet. I'll have to do that soon. Actually I do have part of the area measured, but not the walk we did today. I do feel like all the "cross training" I did while moving seems to have helped some, as my pace overall today was pretty good, and I did not stall out on the hills either on today's walk or yesterday's bike ride.

Mel, great job on your 5K! You have really come a long way since that first one!

Helen, welcome back!

Lisa, hope your knees are feeling better.

Sounds like everyone's training is going great. You all really motivate me!

kathcoll
09-25-2005, 11:37 PM
"Have you ever done the Marine Corps full?? I'm a DC native and was thinking about going home to run the '06 MCM and was looking for people's experiences."

Solo, this is my first MCM, second marathon - I did Dublin Ireland last year (a fantastic first marathon!) I'll let you knw how it was when I finish! I live in suburban Maryland and work in DC, and have done lots of training in the DC metro area - there are an abundance of great trails with historic sites all along the way-favorites are Capital Crescent from Bethesda to Lincoln Memorial (and back) or Mount Vernon trail from LBJ Park along the Potomac to Mount Vernon.

Although we frequently visited WDW when our kids were kids and have owned a timeshare in Kissimmimme (sp?) for 18 years we haven't been back for several years. This January will be the first time DH and I have travelled to WDW by ourselves. I'm really looking forward to visiting the parks - Animal Kingdom wasn't even started last time we were there - in fact DH hasn't ever been to MGM. We'll be looking for places of interest to mid-50s folks without kids!

aladdinsgirl
09-26-2005, 08:39 AM
Question for those doing the MFM run/walk plan: does the training schedule really go 3 miles-4-4-5, etc? I gave my Mom my book, but before I gave it to her I typed out the training schedule. I have 3-4-4-5 typed, but not sure if I made a typing error or what. It just seems weird to me that we would do 2 4 milers back to back. I think I'm going to start my official training today instead of next Monday. I would like to get an 11 miler in, I know there's no real physical advantage to doing 11 miles, but psychologically it could make a big difference! :) Plus I'd like to give myself an extra week just in case something happens.

Keep up the good work everyone! We're almost under 100 days!!! :banana: :banana:

Krista princess:

Lisa loves Pooh
09-26-2005, 08:55 AM
Hey Lisa,

Have you ever considered that your knee pain may be associated with a tight IT band? That was my problem this past May. I went to an orthoped and then to a PT. Even though my pain was in my knee, kinda on the outside, they said my problem was actually located in my hip.

Actually, I am thinking it has nothing to do with my knees :rotfl2:.

I will get on the exercise ball today to see if some of the ITB needs to be worked out (I roll on it sideways up and down the leg). It just doesn't feel any different to me than earlier in the summer and spring--when I was running 6 miles straight. However--the base of the ITB where it joins up with the knee...is one of the most tenderest spots when I use my trigger point therapy ball. So indeed--it could be the ITB.

Thanks for the help!

MelRhoads
09-26-2005, 09:58 AM
Well- I made it back home and I'm mostly alive. I didn't die!!!! It was a pretty fun race. Our team finished in 24hours and 45mins! That is the longest race I have done in both time and mileage. It started at 5:00am with a 2 mile road run to get our race passports. The entire course was navigation so we were given maps and coordinates. My husband and marathon mean girl's dh split the navigation. She and I would get us lost! Anyway, we ran back in to our transition area (TA) and then set out on a long mountain biking section with several checkpoints along the way. We started out biking in the dark and fog, so my glasses fogged over right away and I could not see. I had to ride in the dark with no glasses!!!! I think I actually mountain biked better because I couldn't see enough to be afraid. We then dropped the bikes and hiked to several more checkpoints (through all kinds of poison ivy, water crossings and woods!) We had to walk about 80 feet on a high wire (we were secured in) and then after that trek to the river where we did a canoe section (we passed several teams on the river) After the canoe take out, we returned to the TA and then hiked to some more checkpoints. We then returned to the bike drop were we started another mt. bike section (with a lot of single track) By then it was dark again. We found checkpoints and biked in the dark. After we finished the single track, it started to lightening and thunder and rain, which worried me because we were riding back to the TA to go back on the river. It rained for the rest of the race. We got back to the TA with no major bike probs. We had one flat and one of the guys lost his front brakes. After our transition we got back into the canoes (it was pitch black and raining!) We did another canoe section. At one point in the canoe, I looked at my watch, it was 2:00am. I was thinking "well, I've never done this before!!" That was my first night canoe experience in the pitch black rainy wee mornings! Anyway, we got to the canoe take out and started off on foot again. it took us a long time to find the next checkpoint but we actually passed some more teams there. We hiked to 3 more checkpoints and then back to the finish line!!!! That was long!!! I decided I was insane when my alarm went off at 4:20am in the race and I realized that I had been awake for 24 hours and we werent even finished. No major injuries!!! I am pretty scratched and bruised and I have a bad case of poison ivy, but I think I'll be back in action in a few days!!!!! I'll try to post some pics, but I only took 2 becuase we just didn't stop enough to take any along the course. I think we finished 9th place. There were 16 teams. A few did not finish. I'll be doing lots of laundry today!!!

TammyNC
09-26-2005, 10:02 AM
WOW Melissa-what a report. Glad to hear that you made it back without any serious injuries. Get rested up now.

wtpclc
09-26-2005, 11:12 AM
Hey all! Busy weekend flowed over into a busy week. Forgive me fro those I miss.

Mel - Woo Hoo for you! FYI - Garmin has an auto pause that you can set.

Craig - Aren't the good runs awesome??!!

Helen - Welcome Home!!

Mael - Way to go! That's awesome.

Lisa - Hope the kness get better, whatever may be causing it!

Bree - Good to see you back!

Christa - Sorry about the acid reflux. I knw regular old heart burn kills me.

My runs are like the little girl with the curl. When tehy are good, they are very very good. When they are bad, the are horrid.

Guess what? The 8-miler was good!!!!! I could have gone further. My goal is to keep all of my splits under 8. Not only did I do that (10:51 was my worst), I averaged 10:37!!!! Gosh that felt good!

I think it's time for a shoe change. the top of my foot has not felt right as of late. I *think* I'm going to try the local store, even thought they do not have ASICS. I'll have to see what feels good.

Shirts - I'll go bump up the order thread, but I did not see that many responses. Now, I know someone had order information adn screenign information. Is that person still around? I'm starting to feel really tapped out right now. I'll see what I can find if the orignator of the info isn't around.

Have a good week everyone!

wtpclc
09-26-2005, 12:00 PM
I knew I forgot some stuff:

Heather - So glad to hear you are doing ok!

Krista - I have only been a "serious" scrapper for a year and a half. I have HS phots, college photos, ... The only thing I'm 100% done on is WDW trips! Cannot wait to do my marathon scrapping!

panthergirl
09-26-2005, 02:37 PM
Hi everybody!

Nice to read about everyone's continuing progress - big dogs and little dogs alike!

I ran 7.2 miles in 1:41 on Saturday. I'm bumping up the training this week so now I will do some type of cardio M, W, work with my trainer T, Th, Su and do my long runs on Sat. This week I'll be off a little bit as the Komen Race for the Cure in Charlotte is this Saturday so no long run. Still I think I'm on track to be ready on the big day! I should have parts of Nov. and Dec. to work on speed. (Speed being a relative term where I am concerned :rotfl: )

Don't forget to make your ADRs for marathon weekend this coming weekend. We made our final decisions on restaurants yesterday and I will be calling on Saturday. Does anyone have any idea what time the MK will be closing?

Have a great week ya'll.

Susan

gatorphipps
09-26-2005, 03:15 PM
I ran 7.2 miles in 1:41 on Saturday. I'm bumping up the training this week so now I will do some type of cardio M, W, work with my trainer T, Th, Su and do my long runs on Sat. This week I'll be off a little bit as the Komen Race for the Cure in Charlotte is this Saturday so no long run. Still I think I'm on track to be ready on the big day! I should have parts of Nov. and Dec. to work on speed. (Speed being a relative term where I am concerned :rotfl: )
Susan - Great run Saturday. What was your long run supposed to be this weekend? If you want to get in a long run this Saturday, you could always run whatever you are supposed to run minus 3 miles. For example.....if you are supposed to do 10 miles, do 7 then finish the 3 during the race. That is what Bree and I do when we have a conflict like this. If you want to do this, I would be glad to meet you and run.

Everyone - BE VERY CAREFUL IF YOU RUN BY YOURSELF. A girl was raped this week on East blvd. She was running and the guy grabbed her and pulled her behind a building. This is a popular running area in Charlotte and on a good side of town so this could happen to anyone! So be careful everyone!

Melissa - Great job on your race. Sounds so fun and crazy! :teeth:

Christa

littlegreydonkey
09-26-2005, 03:26 PM
Morning all - blimey Mel that was an experience, well done you. Well I realised last night that I am a fool for peer pressure - I ended up doing the 6km 'warm up' run with my running buddy and was intending 'only' to do the 6km race afterwards - but then I got there, met about 9 people from my running club who were all doing the 10km and I didn't know anyone running the 6km - so I ran 10 miles last night for no reason whatsoever. That's the same as my long run on Saturday - although it felt a whole lot better which is good as I was a bit concerned at the end of Sat.

In other news, Nancy, was it you that wanted to do the Segway tour? I'm booking mine next week - assuming they're still doing them, I haven't checked in a while - so I will let you know what day I decide. Off to start work now - got an 'emergency' book to write (don't ask) and have to finish it by Friday!!!!! Helen

wtpclc
09-26-2005, 03:38 PM
Helen - That was me who wanted to do the Segway! Wow, I'didn't realize that it was getting to be that time already. let me know what you decie!

Lisa loves Pooh
09-26-2005, 06:20 PM
Everyone - BE VERY CAREFUL IF YOU RUN BY YOURSELF. A girl was raped this week on East blvd. She was running and the guy grabbed her and pulled her behind a building. This is a popular running area in Charlotte and on a good side of town so this could happen to anyone! So be careful everyone!

We were advised by a coach this week to not wear hair in a ponytail by running--put it in a bun....but nothing with a long tail that can be grabbed.

Tiger Lily 03
09-26-2005, 06:52 PM
Heather--Glad that you are safe!

Tiff, congrats on your race, you have gotten yourself into the best event ever! You can do it! And you will do fine! You have a great pace set up and as you stretch it out you will be amazed at yourself. I look forward to reading how well you are growing.

Kath, well you are certainly well on your way too! Great ½, you will do absolutely fine! I wish I could tell you about that Goofy thing, but that is one thing I cannot fathom.

Craig, you are at a fantastic pace there. You will be just flying as you go Goofy I’m thinking.

Nancy, it was fun to meet up with you and your DH. Hope those boxes are not causing you any trouble. Glad you are getting into your walking now. Hope a routine builds.

Like that comment about the “dead zone” I’ve been there too. Hate that place.

Mel, you are doing great too! You had a good pace for your 5k. Congratulations! on your improvement.

Lisa, so sorry to hear you have hit a “bump” and hope that is all it is. PD to you.

Monte, what’s this I hear! Jogging! WhooHoo! You are doing it! Take it easy as you build. Sounds like I would LOVE your training place. I train on a path in our National Park and love every moment. Some that I go with on Saturdays say they are bored with the scenery. Not me!

Sunny, hope you have a better work out. You are correct. You may be getting into the overtraining zone. I am glad you know that and are watching for it. I agree with you in that it takes me a while to “warm up” to going farther. After a bit I too feel I find that place and then it gets easier. I just wish I could find it more often!

Melissa, Wowsers! You guys are insane! I wonder if I would have ever done that in my younger years.

Christa, thank you for posting that reminder. That is such sad news.

Everyone seems like there are many that are showing improvement. I hope those who have not posted will be telling of their successes soon.

It was a great weekend for me. My friend visited this weekend. Friday we did a “girls date night” since DH had another event to attend. I did my 8 miles on Saturday in 1 hr 54 min. I am good with that time. I was only going to do 6 b/c I had some friends coming over to bike ride. Well, I decided that I felt good and I need to build up the distance so I put in the 8 miles according to the MFM schedule. I met up with someone who is training for the marathon and invited him to stop in here. Hoping he will. Our Saturday group is officially over and now the solo training will begin. My friends and I went off to frolic on our bicycles for a 20 mile trek. We stopped off to lunch on the way back so it really was not a rough ride. It was a pleasure tour. We took a trip to the local garden center then came back to watch Aviator. Sunday we went to an “ethnic” afternoon dinner and enjoyed Hungarian food and dancing. Lovely weekend. I have not yet done anything physical today and am not sure what I want to do.

Happy training everyone.

panthergirl
09-27-2005, 07:01 AM
Susan - Great run Saturday. What was your long run supposed to be this weekend? If you want to get in a long run this Saturday, you could always run whatever you are supposed to run minus 3 miles. For example.....if you are supposed to do 10 miles, do 7 then finish the 3 during the race. That is what Bree and I do when we have a conflict like this. If you want to do this, I would be glad to meet you and run.

That's such a nice offer. I think I will stick with the 5K only on Saturday since I have been so wiped after my previous races. I was supposed to do 8 miles this week but I will just push that off a week and continue with the short stuff til then.

I was so mad about that attack especially since it is just blocks from my house. The police are advising not to wear headphones which sucks as I just got and iPod Shuffle for my birthday. They think this guy is still in the area and "will not stop until he is caught". I only run when it is full daylight when there are tons of other people on the roads. Be careful all!

aladdinsgirl
09-27-2005, 07:39 AM
Good morning :sunny:

Well, yesterday was my first day of real marathon training and I couldn't even finish my run. :guilty: I have done something to my ankle and it hurts SO bad when I run. It hurt Thursday and Saturday, but I ran anyway, thinking my ankle was tight or something. I went out yesterday and started with running 3 minutes, within the first couple of minutes my ankle was screaming. I know it was something to do with the impact of running, because it hurts when I hit the ground, but walking, even at a fast pace doesn't bother me. I've been reading about ankle injuries, it seems that most injuries occur to the outer ankle, but it's my inner ankle that hurts, right below the bone. I'm going to rest until Friday and I found some ankle stretches--hopefully that will help. If anyone has any idea what it could be or what I can do to strengthen my ankle, please let me know! :goodvibes

Mel--I'm so glad that you are safe after you adventure ride. I can't believe you were up for over 24 hours--that's nuts! :crazy:

Helen--Welcome back!

Lisa--Thanks for posting that reminder. I think we get too comfortable in our surroundings and let our guard down too often. Those sickos in the world look for the signs of us not paying attention to what's going on around us and then they attack. Everyone PLEASE be careful!!

Happy training everyone!!

Krista princess:

princessmomma
09-27-2005, 07:43 AM
Krista,

Could it be that you need arch supports? Do you have high arches?

Colleen

aladdinsgirl
09-27-2005, 08:04 AM
Colleen--No I don't have high arches. I do overpronate, which could be the problem, but I wear running shoes for overpronation. I don't know, it's a mystery! :)

Krista princess:

Minnie
09-27-2005, 08:41 AM
Good morning everyone,

Thank you all for your sciatic stretching ideas. I am still in quite a bit of pain with that dang thing. I think the golfing last saturday agrevated an already sore bum :guilty: I've been to the chiropractor and will be calling a friend that is a PT soon to see if she has any ideas for me.

I'm not sure what to do about the training. I can walk okay with only slight ouch but no running whatsoever as that hurts. Any ideas? My training plan is supposed to be starting and so far I haven't been able to do squat. Should I go ahead and try to atleast get in the miles/time by walking or not??

Krista, take care of that ankle :wizard:

Kath, CONGRATS TO YOU :cheer2: (Glad to see you found your way over from the other board!)

Glad to see everyone else is doing so well.

Rockclimber
09-27-2005, 09:39 AM
If anyone has any idea what it could be or what I can do to strengthen my ankle, please let me know! :goodvibes

Krista princess:

I'll give my two cents again, since I love strength and conditioning so much.
Is there a specific spot that is tender to touch? Could it be a bone spur or some kind of low shin splint? or do you think it is muscular? I would first suggest trying a different pair of shoes. Even shoes that correct overpronation can vary in degree of correction. Of course keep up the RICE treatement, Rest, Ice, Compression and elevation. If the pain persists see an orthoped.

Because of ankle injuries I have had weak ankles, but my PT gave me some strengthening exercises. The first is to simply stand on one foot and bend forward touching the floor. Touch the floor at the 9:00, then straighten up, then touch and 12, straighten up, then touch at 3. You can bend the leg your standing on slightly, but the purpose is to be off balance and using your ankle to stabalize your body. The further away from your body you touch the harder it is. Work your way up to 15 - 3 touch sets on each leg. When you have mastered that try doing it with a towel,or half a swim noodle under your foot, to further place you in an unstable postion. I use a balance board also to stregthen ankles and increase balance.

Another simple anke strengthening exercise is to use a TheraBand. Tie it around in a loop and hook it around a stable object, lay on your back and put your foot through the loop. Do ankle flexes with your toe coming straight up, then toward the outside, and also toward the inside. 3 sets of 15 will get your ankles in top shape, but you may feel like you are walking around on toothpicks after the exercise. Stregthening the front part of your shin will also prevent shin splints. Often shin splints are caused by a muscle imbalance between your calf and shin area. You can get TheraBands online or at the PT. They make great strength and conditioning tools, plus you can take them anywhere.

Good luck and hope this helps,
Dave

aladdinsgirl
09-27-2005, 10:28 AM
Thank you so much, Dave. I just printed your post out so I can work on the strengthening technics. I love these boards!! As far as where the pain is, it's on my left inner ankle, right below the bone and going toward the foot, as opposed to the heel. On Saturday my achilles tendon was hurting, but I'm thinking that was caused by my ankle. It's a very sharp pain that shoots through the ankle, but it only seems to hurt when I run, the day after I run I have a dull pain right at the bone (like right now I'm sitting at my desk and my ankle is hurting. Not enough to stop me from walking around, but enough that I can feel it). 2 days after a run, my ankle feels fine, so hopefully resting until Friday will really help. When I was running last Sunday, I fell on the path and I busted my left knee, I'm wondering if that fall somehow effected my ankle. I haven't had any problems with my ankle until Thursday. Do you think there is a connection?

Krista princess:

perfectmatch300
09-27-2005, 11:16 AM
Helen, Carrie, you'll love the Segway Tour. We did it last spring and DH hasn't stopped talking about wanting to buy a Segway of our own since then!

MelR WOW! What a time that adventure race must have been! I might have survived it in my much younger and more fit days, but certainly not now!

While I still have a lot of boxes, I'm getting back to walking, swimming and biking. I'm not on a formal program at this point, just getting out there every day and getting my exercise minutes in. I want to at least get enough boxes done so we can get both cars in the garage first then I want to find one that will hopefully help me increase my speed some. I've gotten better in the pool, better on my bike, but my walking/wogging speed is still not improving much. Also planning to work more on core strength. We have a pretty good exercise room here that I want to start taking advantage of once most of the boxes are done.

Rockclimber
09-27-2005, 11:32 AM
When I was running last Sunday, I fell on the path and I busted my left knee, I'm wondering if that fall somehow effected my ankle. I haven't had any problems with my ankle until Thursday. Do you think there is a connection?

Krista princess:

Absolutely there can be a connection. Especially if it was a twisting type fall. Just like a major accident, our body reacts to the most obvious pain, but then other areas of pain present themselves later on. Since it is still hurting I would definately rest it. Also take IB profen round the clock, Ice the foot while your sitting at your desk, and keep your foot elevated. The dull pain you are feeling could be from swelling.

If your achilles tendon is bothering you, you should probably include that area in your normal stretching routine. Use the same method you use to stretch your calf. Lean against a wall with your leg behind you, except unlike you stretch your calf with the leg straight, bend your back leg to stretch that tendon.

Also you can always experiment with your running gait. Sometimes over exertion of the tendon can be caused by a bounding type gait, or running too much on your toes. You can go to a good running store and have them video your stride. They can tell you how your foot strikes the ground. I know you over pronate, but they can also see where your foot first strikes the ground. In distance running it is better to use shorter, quicker strides, keeping your feet close to the ground.

After all my sports injuries, my PT file is more like a binder. This has caused me to be a firm supporter of stretching. With sports like running and cycling, those muscles shorten and really need to be well stretched in order to be supple and avoid injuries. It is so easy to skip stretching, and I mean really stretching (20 min minimum). When pinched for time, stretching is the first thing to get cut from my day. But I end up feeling it the next day.

Also you may want to have someone look at your ankle and give you a better assessment.

This is a good link for run related injuiries. http://www.drpribut.com/sports/pributruna.pdf

OOH, I thought of one more thing. This pertains mostly to Lisa and her potential IT band, but can be applied to all runners. The running surface plays a big part in run injuries. Concrete sidewalks are much harder surfaces to run on than the asphalt road, but if you are consistantly running on the road, on the same side (against traffic) ever single run, you are setting yourself up for injury. The road is sloped to allow water to drain. So by running on the same side of the road all the time you are running at a slight angle, this can cause all sorts of injuries over the long term, especially IT injuries. Best thing to do is to vary the side and surfaces you are running on.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor nor a physical therapist, but I did stay at a Holiday in Express :teeth:
My medical degree is from the school of hard knocks, dings, pulls, breaks and sprains. Currently, this school is not accredited.

Dave

Lisa loves Pooh
09-27-2005, 11:54 AM
Dave you are so funny....

I found another source of my pains...

The rectus femoris and a hidden muscle underneath it--part of the quads...it is on my right leg...to the slight left of the ITB.

Gonna work that out. Also going to take back my Brooks. They were nice while they lasted...but coincidence or pain source..the knee trouble started when they came on board.

panthergirl
09-27-2005, 12:27 PM
Information on jogger attack (http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/news/12750487.htm)

Here is the story that Christa was referring to if you are interested. Just a reminder that we all need to be aware when we run especially if we run alone.

Susan

MelRhoads
09-27-2005, 09:03 PM
I really am going to run this week!!!!! I swam tonight for about 1000 meters. It was a nice easy pace and it felt good. I didn't want to get too aggressive until my bod was rested from the adventure race! Anyway, I am supposed to be on the 2nd week of a 16 week program. I am just going to start with the long run on thurs becuase I have basically done the 1st week about 1million times!

Looks like everyone's training is going well! I need to get motivated to acturally start mine. I think running may be the only thing I can do on thursday anyway, because my rear is too bruised from all of the mt. biking this weekend to get on the bike! :teeth:

gatorphipps
09-27-2005, 09:15 PM
Melissa - WOW! You are AWESOME! Would LOVE to do a race like that. :cool1:

Anyway, ran 4.25 today. Was going to do 6 but a woman walked into the gym with the strongest perfume (sp?) and it made me sick. :eek: :faint: :crazy2: :sick: I could not finish. She was not even close to me. People were trying to get away from her (it was funny). :rotfl: Then I lifted for the rest of the time. Going to try a kick boxing class @ the YMCA tomorrow with my sis. I may run a little b/4 that, or not. Will let you know.

Keep up the good work all. AND BE CAREFUL! I know I will.
Christa

wtpclc
09-28-2005, 07:17 AM
I finally decided that I was oging to get my shoes from the local store, which meant leaving my ASICs behind. Guess what? I din't like any. My dh loves his Mizuno's. I don't know if I was being picky, but they just did not feel right to me. I'm gonna' look for ASICs to night.

Did my XT yesterday adn am on track for the week.

plutosmyfav
09-28-2005, 07:52 AM
MelR -- You're alive! :rotfl: Wow what an adventure. It sounds so exciting and excruciating all at the same time. I'm glad you survived. The Boy is going to be so impressed with you when he's old enough to understand the crazy stunts mommy has pulled :p

Krista-- I hope you work out your ankle issues soon. Glad to see Dave is here with lots of ideas. I'm reading them all carefully, too.

The jogger attack is terrible. It really made me think. I have had two creepy experiences on my Sat AM runs. I hit the bikepath before dawn and don't usually see another runner/biker/blader for 30-40 minutes. Twice I have encountered suscpicious men (one drunk, one smoking-- not fitness people) that scared me. Last week I was feeling scared when I started and there was a dog that must have snuck out of his house. He ran with me for the first 4 miles which was so comforting (he's a golden ret). But I felt bad because he got bored and wandered off four miles from his starting point. I hope he found his way home.

Anyway, I think I will run the first 30 minutes on sidewalks instead of the path. I start in a center of town where there are police cruisers, delivery trucks, etc. milling around before dawn. It wouldn't be so isolated. I will also do the bun instead of pony tail idea. That's a smart idea. I suppose I could even forego my headphones until the sun comes up. That one will be hard. I just can't wait until the path is populated to start my runs because then it would eat into family time too much. Too many demands on a LD running Mom!!!!

This week is my easy taper week. I did an easy 4.4 mile run on the TM on Monday with upper body weights. Yesterday was lower body weights and rower for 30 minutes. Today will be another easy run and then virtually nothing Thurs and Fri before my half.

Sunny

MelanieC
09-28-2005, 08:48 AM
Hey everyone,

I haven't posted here in a while. I don't know why but I feel so lost in this thread. I need to make this a priorty to get connected since the race is coming up soon.

I've been running outside a lot more lately instead of using the TM so much. I still feel like I lost a lot of what I had built up from last spring prior to hurting my foot/feet. The good news is absolutely no pain.

I ran/walked 3 miles last Thursday, 4 on Saturday and 3 last night. I need to officially committ to the MFM schedule next week. The bad thing is I feel like I can't run as long as I was before. I am completing my miles at 13 minutes (something) even with a lot of walking so that is good. I'd like to bring that down a little but its not too bad.

Today I'm going to go buy at least 2 more running outfits. Only having one "real" good running outfit is getting hard to keep it clean to run.

Everyone sounds like they are doing fantastic. I hope I have some improvements to talk report about soon.

MelRhoads
09-28-2005, 12:06 PM
Sunny - good luck on your half this weekend! I'm sure you will do Great!!!

Melenie - welcome back. Your pace looks great!!!! I'm glad you are not having anymore pain with your feet.

Carrie - I posted a link last week about cheap asics cumulus shoes. I can't remember the exact link, but I think they were in the 40-50dollar rage at sierratradingpost.com. I just ordered trail runners from there.

today is a rest day. tomorrow i'm jumping into my training program at the week 2 long run. after that, i have got to get some roadriding in for the century in a couple of weeks. It should be a lot shorter and cleaner than my last race!!!!

gatorphipps
09-28-2005, 03:01 PM
The jogger attack is terrible. It really made me think. I have had two creepy experiences on my Sat AM runs. I hit the bikepath before dawn and don't usually see another runner/biker/blader for 30-40 minutes. Twice I have encountered suscpicious men (one drunk, one smoking-- not fitness people) that scared me. Last week I was feeling scared when I started and there was a dog that must have snuck out of his house. He ran with me for the first 4 miles which was so comforting (he's a golden ret). But I felt bad because he got bored and wandered off four miles from his starting point. I hope he found his way home.
Anyway, I think I will run the first 30 minutes on sidewalks instead of the path. I start in a center of town where there are police cruisers, delivery trucks, etc. milling around before dawn. It wouldn't be so isolated. I will also do the bun instead of pony tail idea. That's a smart idea. I suppose I could even forego my headphones until the sun comes up. That one will be hard. I just can't wait until the path is populated to start my runs because then it would eat into family time too much. Too many demands on a LD running
Sunny - Good luck on your race! I know you will do great!! Is it a 1/2? If so are you going submit your time to move up in corrals for WDW? I did that last year and got to corral "B"!:goodvibes
Anyway...I have been thinking about you and your 2 experiences with the men. I have worried. This girl in Charlotte was on a busy street in Charlotte about 0700 (beginning of rush hour) and this happened so everyone be SOOOO careful. It has really upset me and Bree. We run on East Blvd for ALL our LRs and some SRs so this really hits home. The pony tail thing is a great idea, but I think the main thing is to be very aware of the surroundings, b/c they could always grab an arm or something else. :confused3 The guy is sick and has not been caught. My DH will run with us Friday, but we are still scared.
Biked today....No kick boxing b/c the teacher did not show.:mad: But I am now an official member of the YMCA :cheer2: so I can start swimming. After Goofy, I want to do Tris!
Christa

MelRhoads
09-28-2005, 03:47 PM
Christa - I loved your story about the TM. Maybe you should find out what type of perfume that woman was wearing. We could wear it during our races so that people couldn't get near us to pass and we could win!!!

littlegreydonkey
09-28-2005, 03:52 PM
Hey - all good here. Did my 5 miles last night - walked up some of the hills just because but otherwise it was okay. Tonight running buddy wants to do 7 miles so will probably join her with that - although the weather's looking grotty today so I may end up on the treadmill (no, please, no).

Scary news about that attack. It's odd here because you do feel safe - compared to running in London where you're always watching for things (although the scariest thing I saw this year was the policeman walking toward me with a machine gun, I slowed down a bit at that point!!!) - so you get a bit complacent. Clocks change this weekend though so I'll be running in daylight from now till the marathon.

In other news, anyone else going to enter the Disneyland Half? I'm going to do it, can't miss an inagural race I figure - but I'm glad it's 'only' a half as I'll probably have to tack it on to my return trip from England (during which I spend 10 days eating and drinking waaay too much). Can't imagine doing a marathon after that nightmare.

Anyway, (hi ho, hi ho) it's off to work I go. Helen

Lisa loves Pooh
09-28-2005, 05:30 PM
I am just beside myself...I hate to bring laundry over from the otherside..but I'm gonna...

On the Amazing Race this season..there is a family who run. The mom and dad have competed in several marathons and intend to go for the marathon in all 50 states (yes, there is a club--must do 10 different states to qualify for membership to go for the gusto).

Anyway--a personal trainer....OMG...did not believe for one minute b/c of the mother's physique--that her being a several time marathoner was possible. B/c runners have little body fat and this is a fact. That perpetually training for a marathon--you will have no fat. OMG. This woman is smoking crack.

As I said--hate to bring the laundry as I am so steamed....I told her they come in all shapes and sizes and her responses was that this woman must talk the talk but not walk the walk.

So I'm expecting to find--essentially an overweight woman over on the site. Not even close--I find a 42yo woman who looks very healthy and certainly not even close to overweight..with 2 young children (her daughter runs a 7 minute mile).

ETA: Mom has completed 2 marathons in the last year...including the ING NYC marathon in 4 hours 38 minutes. This lady ROCKS!!!

http://wwwimage.cbs.com/primetime/amazing_race8/images/teams/bio_pic_gaghan.jpg

So I post...that as a marathoner with a high BMI...that I support the family of runners.

She offers an apology that I took it personally as she didn't know that I was big or whatever.

Hello--me and this woman in the photo are about the darn same size!!!

Good grief. So I called it like it was...I said we are not all world class athletes..this woman looks great....and in the running world...attitudes like what this poster had are considered elitist and it was judgemental, sad, and unprofessional for her to make such a statement!

So stand proud girls--training is in HIGH gear! You do not need to be on the cover of Runner's World to be a marathoner (or halfsy) in my book!

Game on---LET'S PLAY WITH THE BIG DAWGS!!!!

ETA: This was the statement:

Also I guess I am wary of her because her bio saids she is a marathon runner, I am a personal trainer and she does not seem to be a runner. It will be interesting to see how she does in the challenges.

Essentially calling this woman a liar.

zoegirl
09-28-2005, 06:12 PM
Hey Ya'll!

Just in for a quick hello.

Lisa - Christa and I have come to the conclusion that people say the stupidest things. I mean not to get on a soap box but people just don't think before they give you their opinion on things. I have had many people look at me and say...to my face mind you..."YOU run marathons?" Uh yeah, I've run THREE marathons, and I'm training for my FOURTH AND FIFTH. I am a normal sized person and I have been passed by folks I would consider to be overweight, and I'm not the slowest person in the pack...well maybe in the Boston marathon I would be, but most others no. So don't judge the package, be impressed by the ability. I bet that woman is very encouraging to her clients ;) She sounds ignorant.

Today was speed work day. We meet at a local college track every Wednesday morning at 0600, and today we were (at least I was) entertained by an ROTC group doing drills. Just as I would get tired and wish I was back home in bed, I'd look at those guys and girls and think BLESS YOU for what you are doing but thank goodness it's you and not me. Also, everytime I'd start to be impressed by my speed time (today my best was an 8:27 mile) I'd get lapped by our friend that is training for the ironman tri in two weeks. This guy can run like less than a 3 hour marathon or something crazy like that. To watch him run is impressive. He says he works out 9 times a week, most days doing two workouts a day. WOW! What motivation. More power to him, 'cause I subscribe to the "do as little as possible to get you to the finish philosophy" :rotfl2: Well maybe not that bad but darn close to it.

later for now....
~Bree~

Rockclimber
09-28-2005, 06:27 PM
On the Amazing Race this season..there is a family who run. The mom and dad have competed in several marathons and intend to go for the marathon in all 50 states (yes, there is a club--must do 10 different states to qualify for membership to go for the gusto).

There is a guy who is a perfect 12'er (someone who has run every WDW marathon), named John Bozung. I ran with him for a little while during a marathon in OC Maryland. Anyway, on the back of his shirt it said something like 50 marathons in 50 states. I went up to him and was like, "wow that is impressive, 50 marathons." He then told me that this was actually his 189th marathon and in fact he was the second man to run a marathon on every continent during the same year. A Japanese guy beat him by a few weeks upon learning of John's intention. John actually won the marathon that was run at the base of Mt Everest, his only victory. Anyway, I went home and looked this guy John up on the internet. It turns out, he is turning 52 this year and as his next goal, in honor of him turning 52, he is running 52 marathons in 52 weeks!! One a week!! Unbelievable.

The point that I was trying to make really was when I came up to this guy I would never have known that he was a "stud" runner. He didn't fit the stereotypical image of long distance runner, let alone someone of his running prowess. During his younger days he fit the mold, but he has slowed down and gotten heavier. Marathoners come in every shape and size and motivation. John said he was happy to finish in 4:30 a significant amount slower than he had run in the past. Many marathoners are happy to simply finish. But the point is we aren't sitting on our rear ends, watching TV and eating bon bons (at least not all the time ;) ). We are running or walking 26.2 miles in a single day! And not only that, but have logged many many more miles leading up to that single day. Making it to the starting line is an accomplishment in itself. Anyone who participates in a marathon should be proud of that.

Go get em' girls!!!

Dave
www.thejacksonfour.com

Lisa loves Pooh
09-28-2005, 06:40 PM
There is a guy who is a perfect 12'er (someone who has run every WDW marathon), named John Bozung. I ran with him for a little while during a marathon in OC Maryland. Anyway, on the back of his shirt it said something like 50 marathons in 50 states. I went up to him and was like, "wow that is impressive, 50 marathons." He then told me that this was actually his 189th marathon and in fact he was the second man to run a marathon on every continent during the same year. A Japanese guy beat him by a few weeks upon learning of John's intention. John actually won the marathon that was run at the base of Mt Everest, his only victory. Anyway, I went home and looked this guy John up on the internet. It turns out, he is turning 52 this year and as his next goal, in honor of him turning 52, he is running 52 marathons in 52 weeks!! One a week!! Unbelievable.

Most impressive!!

Now is it just me, or is anyone else wondering where, and the travel costs involved in finding 52 different marathons.

WOW! 189. WOW!

Tiger Lily 03
09-28-2005, 10:49 PM
Hi WISH Team!

Dave, you rock! Love your advice (and disclaimer!)

Krista, hope you figure out that pain thing and heal fast.

OMG! I have not realized we are now actually IN week 15 of our countdown. I am getting sweaty thinking about it. wondering...still wondering.

I enjoy reading what all are doing.

Don't feel "out of it" and then not post. Jump in. We need all of us. It will make for such a great time...really!

I am slogging away at it. WISH I had a bit more time, but I am doing it nonetheless.

Garmin question: I started the darn thing on Tuesday and when I looked at my info it was giving me stats in some sort of "foreign" tounge. It was not set on the kilometer reading (the second drop down choice). It was set on the (first choice, but my reading was not coming in mph. I ended up "resetting" my unit. There must be a better way. This is the second time I have discovered this other unit and I don't know how to get back exactly. Anyone have any ideas for me?

skfulkers
09-29-2005, 05:45 AM
Garmin question: I started the darn thing on Tuesday and when I looked at my info it was giving me stats in some sort of "foreign" tounge. It was not set on the kilometer reading (the second drop down choice). It was set on the (first choice, but my reading was not coming in mph. I ended up "resetting" my unit. There must be a better way. This is the second time I have discovered this other unit and I don't know how to get back exactly. Anyone have any ideas for me?

Lily,

I am by no means a Garmin expert, but I don't know if you have tried this or not. Under the units menu, there are two measures of speed: mph and min/mile. You can switch between either one by setting your speed to biking vs running.
Maybe I misunderstood your question, but I hope this helps (other than that, I can't offer any more great advice on the Garmin--it took me almost two hours to figure out how to get my signal the first time. :) )

Steve

TiffJ
09-29-2005, 06:04 AM
I all-just checking in. Nothing exciting going on , just plugging away at my training. Have gotten off course this last week with my eating so I need to get back at my healthier eating plan.

I love my Garmin. It is so easy to use & I think it will definately help with my training for a certain pace.

I am hoping to go to Disneyland for the 1/2 but I will have to wait & see. That would be so cool to be part of that innaugural event. I have never been to CA so it would be a cool adventure but it may cost too much to get there for this SAHM.

Today is cross training so I'm doing my aerobics tape.

Lily- yes, the fact that we only have a little over 14 weeks is starting to freak me out a bit.

Lisa loves Pooh
09-29-2005, 07:22 AM
I have been sick all week--no running (well couldn't do that anyway) and no walking. Cannot shake this BLEK!

I will be going to training on Saturday and testing out the new shoes and settling into my new penguin format.

aladdinsgirl
09-29-2005, 07:38 AM
Good morning! :sunny: Hope everyone is doing better than I am today! I'm sitting here at my desk with my foot propped up on a printer paper box as I ice my ankle. It's a good thing I'm hidden away in a cubicle!! :teeth: My ankle is feeling much better, it just gets swollen in the morning, but as the day goes on it feels great. I bought an ankle brace Tuesday night, I wore when I took Hines for a 3 mile walk. My ankle felt fine, but man did my foot hurt where the brace was digging into it! I don't know what was worse--the ankle pain or the foot pain! :rotfl:

Dave--thanks again for all the ankle advice, you've been a big help.

Sunny-- :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: on your half marathon. I know you are going to rock!

Lisa--Hope you are feeling better!! Thanks for sticking it to that PT!! You truly are the big :dog:

Stephen--guess you made it to work! Have a good day!! :goodvibes I just have to tell everyone how wonderful my husband is. Stephen is a mechancal engineer and right now there are like a gazillion projects coming in, needing to be designed. They are having mandatory 50 hour work weeks to get some of the work done. Instead of getting his 50 hours in 6 days (Monday-Saturday), Stephen is working 12-14 hour days to get his 50 hours in so we can have Saturday to spend together! What a guy!! :lovestruc

Good luck to everyone training!!

Krista princess:

TXBelle
09-29-2005, 07:53 AM
Well, I have done nothing since Sunday. I am doing the Race for the Cure on Saturday. What a great cause!

Helen- I am going to run the Disneyland 1/2 marathon next year. Early registration begins next week I believe.

I am ready to get out of this September funk and into the October (oh no, the marathon will be here before I know it) training frenzy. :rolleyes:

solotraveler
09-29-2005, 07:58 AM
Hi all!

Super busy, but I wanted to check in real quick-

Mel- I am exhausted just reading about your adventure race. Seriously, I just got up and I feel like I need a nap.

Be careful out there everyone. I agree with everyone out there- vary your running routes, make sure where you are is well lit, run with a partner if you can, etc, etc.

Tuesday I did my 40 minutes (3/2) for a total of 4.16 miles, so a 9:37/mile pace. It felt like I was dragging for a good bit of it-- but I was on the cross country course and I usually feel worse when I run there.

Yesterday I did 45 minutes (3/2) on an indoor track-- looked like it was going to rain out. I gave myself 4.80 miles just to be conservative, but I really felt good yesterday. Pacing felt fine, didn't get particularly sore-- just a nice session.

Tomorrow is my 9-miler. Still feeeling somewhat excited about it. :rolleyes: When I looked up my workout yesterday I happened to glance at the training distances for the first training plan I was going to use. (I thought the MFM plan would be "easier" somehow.) I am doing nearly TWICE the amount of running I would have been doing under the old program! But since I'm getting it done (for the most part), no harm, no foul at this point.

Happy training all!

keenercam
09-29-2005, 08:37 AM
Hi, everyone! Wow! I am so blown away by what everyone is accomplishing.

Mel -- Your description of the adventure race was breathtaking. Literally! I am so impressed. Just think -- for the rest of your life you will have that accomplishment to be proud of. Congratulations!

Krista -- So sorry you are having such problems with your ankle. I hope it works out. Am glad we are still 15 weeks or so back so that you have some time for it to get better.

I really wanted to get to everyone today, but it is going to be pretty busy at work.

Last night we did a 5K for the American Red Cross Hurricane Katrina Relief. I think it raised over $6000. DH (KeenHo) had an amazing time with his first mile being something like 7:38 and his 2nd all time PB (the last one was 3 seconds faster in May '02). As for me, I was just glad to finish. It was the first 5K I have done that was not first thing in the morning. That the event started at 6:30 pm raised 3 issues for me: first, I was tired after a stressful day at work; second, I obviously didn't make the right food choices during the day because I didn't feel energized and my tummy still felt full from my 1:30 lunch. Third and most important, however, my vision issues really impacted on my ability to strive for a PB time. I don't have depth perception and limited distance vision, so I couldn't tell anything about gradations in the course after the first 1/2 hour or so. And entire sections of the course are very remote with going around the far perimeter of an outlet mall parking lot and then under a highway -- there was a group of college kids walking a bit ahead of me but then no one else in sight anywhere, so I was very reluctant to jog at all because if I got ahead of them I couldn't tell where I was going and I would have been in a potentially dangerous situation. Anyway, I am awaiting the official results, but I think I was less than a minute off my 9/18 time. Had hoped for further improvement, but I'll look for that next time.

Happy training all!

plutosmyfav
09-29-2005, 09:40 AM
WARNING: Rant Mode is definitely ON!!!!!

Lisa-- Your "laundry" really hit a nerve with me. I've seen that trainers attitude in the looks of people's eyes. Not many, but occasionally I'll get that skeptical "you're training for a marathon???" look. I usually feel compelled to almost apologize by saying something like, "yeah, I don't run fast, but I can run long".

Just yesterday I spent a good half hour paging through photos of last years Applefest half to see if there were any "heavy" runners. I'm already getting self-conscious of showing up. At my July 4th 10K I really felt like I was being judge by many pencil thin runners. There wasn't one other runner there even close to my size. I am running as a "Filly" at the Applefest. But I have a serious beef with the requirements. Filly's are 140 lbs or higher, but they can be any height. The past filly placers were 5'9, 5'10 and just barely 140, to me that really isn't a weight disadvantage. I think they should go by BMI. If they went by BMI I might actually have a chance to place. As it is, the top Filly's run ~7:20.

On to more personal "heavy running" issues. I've had a couple of akward encounters. At work one day a man was asking about my marathon training and mentioned a man in his group runs ultras. He then started to say, "ultra runners are different than marathoners, they don't tend to be pencil thin" he then immediately looked all uncomfortable and nervous. I fought the urge to reply, "yah I know I'm not pencil thin". Another encounter at work was with a woman. We were talking about Weight Watchers and weight, etc. She then started to say "I'm surprized with all your running..." and then caught herself and got all nervous and didn't know how to continue. I replied, "how can I be fat and run so much?" She jumped in "Oh, no, you're not fat at all, its just, well, it seems like you wouldn't have any struggles with your weight running 35-40 miles a week". People just don't get it. Ya I run 35-40 miles a week, but I also eat like a horse! :rotfl:

I'm glad to air this laundry even if you all didn't really want it in your face :p I have to get my courage up for Applefest and not be too self conscious of standing out like a beached whale among athletes :blush:

Cam gave me a great idea after my 10K, she said we should wear T-shirts that say "I've lost X lbs so stop gawking!". I added a shirt that says "Move your skinny butt, I'm comin' through". I have to say, in the 4 races I've participated in so far, I've left quite a few "skinny butts" in the dust!

I've also read a very sad story of a woman who has lost 250 lbs and walked her first 5K only to get snickers and stares from some of the elites. That is so despicable .

OK, I'll stop ranting now!

I did an absolutely wonderful "no garmin, no knowledge of pace" easy run yesterday in absolutely perfect weather. It was about 4.4 miles. It doesn't get any better than that!!!!! :Pinkbounc

Sunny

keenercam
09-29-2005, 10:27 AM
Sunny -- I am so sorry that ANYONE has had the nerve to say or do anything that would make you self conscious. You are such an amazing person and I LOVE that you are out there doing something that you love that is good for you for the pure joy of it. You are my hero and my inspiration.

I have to tell you, someone said to me last night at the end, when I looked all red and hot and winded "YOU RAN this?" and I am so quick to say, "no, I JUST walk them" and immediately got that sick feeling in the pit of my stomache where you just sense that you've been judged and found lacking. The fact is, after 10 years of not having the energy most of the time to make it through a full day of work, and after 4 heart procedures, and having lost 56 pounds since 12/1/04 and 49 of them since 1/6/05, I KNOW I don't have to apologize to anyone. But the reality is that even if I still weighed what I did on 12/1 and even if I barely dragged myself over that finish line, I would have done it. I would have accomplished something that many others didn't attempt.

The positive, supportive, LOVING attitudes I have found here on this board have brought me from hopelessness and dispair and a feeling of striving for something that wasn't in my reach to a feeling of accomplishment for whatever I do each day or each "wog" and a "can-do" attitude that will carry me through long past 1/7/06.

So, to those who would be skeptics (and I know it's silly to even say it here because my audience is elsewhere), I'd say "stop gawking -- I'm not doing this to impress you. You just aren't that important to me." :rotfl:

Okay, off my soapbox! Thanks, guys!

BTW, my official time for last night was 46:55 (15:08 pace) compared to 46:21 (pace 14:57) on 9/18. I don't feel badly about it all. Glad to have done it and that well for a good cause. :sunny:

lizdotcom99
09-29-2005, 11:07 AM

Send it to me!! :teeth: I will fix it for you!!! :rotfl2:

wtpclc
09-29-2005, 11:23 AM
OK, gotta' join the rant. That attittude is awful and I cannot believe it exists. Personally, I believe that a person who is larger thn what some perceive as teh stereotypical runner has put in a lot more effort. They have overcome some many hurdles and perceptions and still got out there. These are the people who have really inspired me to "Get my butt out!" It takes a lot more courage to go out into a world where some may thin you do not belong. My hat is off to all of you. Regarding the others, as my mom used to say, "That's not the type of person you'd want to be firends with anyway. Why do you care what they think." True, even if it's easier said than done. Stepping off soap box now.

gatorphipps
09-29-2005, 11:34 AM
On to more personal "heavy running" issues. I've had a couple of akward encounters. At work one day a man was asking about my marathon training and mentioned a man in his group runs ultras. He then started to say, "ultra runners are different than marathoners, they don't tend to be pencil thin" he then immediately looked all uncomfortable and nervous. I fought the urge to reply, "yah I know I'm not pencil thin". Another encounter at work was with a woman. We were talking about Weight Watchers and weight, etc. She then started to say "I'm surprized with all your running..." and then caught herself and got all nervous and didn't know how to continue. I replied, "how can I be fat and run so much?" She jumped in "Oh, no, you're not fat at all, its just, well, it seems like you wouldn't have any struggles with your weight running 35-40 miles a week". People just don't get it. Ya I run 35-40 miles a week, but I also eat like a horse! :rotfl:

THE EVIL QUEEN IS COMING OUT! GIRL!!!! That burns me up! :mad: I have had people say stuff like that to me too. People can be so discouraging. Bree and I have come to the conclusion that they are jealous. I used to try to explain it away, but now I just say, "I would love to run with you sometime to see how you could keep up with me". :crazy: I think sometimes people want to put others down to build thenselves up. I hate that. Sunny, I have seen your pictures and you are BUFF and beautiful! So don't take that from anyone!
Christa

keenercam
09-29-2005, 11:35 AM
Oh, BTW, guys, I thought of something else. It really hit me last night that I have a definite purpose to serve in doing these 5Ks. Absolutely. Besides all the ways my participation benefits me, I also benefit the organization that gets my entry fee. But, more important is the purpose I serve for all of those people on the course who suddenly find it in themselves to jog when I pass them and I can just hear them saying "I can't let that fat lady get ahead of me. I think I will run for a while". It NEVER fails. Every single person that I jogged past last night immediately jogged past me. Heck, I was just doing my walk 4/jog 1 interval. They shouldn't have taken it personally that I passed them. :confused3 I certainly didn't mean to put them out by making them think they had to jog/run to get past me. But, hey, if that's what motivates them? More power to them. :rolleyes: Glad to be of service! :rotfl:

Now, back to your regularly scheduled training thread. :teeth:

solotraveler
09-29-2005, 11:57 AM
Oh, BTW, guys, I thought of something else. It really hit me last night that I have a definite purpose to serve in doing these 5Ks. Absolutely. Besides all the ways my participation benefits me, I also benefit the organization that gets my entry fee. But, more important is the purpose I serve for all of those people on the course who suddenly find it in themselves to jog when I pass them and I can just hear them saying "I can't let that fat lady get ahead of me. I think I will run for a while". It NEVER fails. Every single person that I jogged past last night immediately jogged past me. Heck, I was just doing my walk 4/jog 1 interval. They shouldn't have taken it personally that I passed them. :confused3 I certainly didn't mean to put them out by making them think they had to jog/run to get past me. But, hey, if that's what motivates them? More power to them. :rolleyes: Glad to be of service! :rotfl:

Interesting theory, but I would flip the premise. I think you are a motivator-- you are motivating some of those people out there watching that race to get off their duffs and try. They are thinking "Hey, she's just like ME. I can do that too." That's how I felt in 2001 when I happened to be in WDW during marathon time. I wasn't impressed by the people who led the race, I became inspired by the people who were two hours behind them and having a great time.

So yes, you are a motivator, and Bravo to you for it!

plutosmyfav
09-29-2005, 01:57 PM
So yes, you are a motivator, and Bravo to you for it!

Well said! I do know what you mean, though, Cam. Back when my "thing" was rolleblading, I used to get a kick out of passing young men. They'd do anything to get back ahead of me! I could hear the skates smacking the pavement out of control as soon as I passed. :rotfl:

Thank you Christa and Cam for your kind words :grouphug: Christa I think you are so right that people tend to be most judgmental when they lack confidence in themselves. I love the comeback of "would you like to come running with me sometime". Its kindof a "call your bluff" comeback. I think I'll use it!

Sunny

MelRhoads
09-29-2005, 02:38 PM
Krista - hope your ankle continues to feel better! I used to do leg lifts under my desk at work to strengthen my knees, but that was years ago, before I ever thought about running.

Solo - I was thinking about your question of motivation today during my long run. I just started in week 2 of my program (16weeks). Anyway, I counted the adventure race as week 1. I have rested most of the week, except a slow 1000meter swim on tues. today, while the boy was in preschool, my friend and i ran 12 miles. I thought someone was going to have to give us a ride back to the car! My legs would not move by the end!!!! The worst part is that we were meeting another friend to ride after the run. We did finish and the ride was actually theraputic for my knees/legs. Halfway through the run I was thinking about your post last week and smiling!! I wanted to write and say... "yes, sometimes the run seems almost mentally impossible!!!!!"

Tomorrow is a REST DAY!!!!!!! :Pinkbounc :cheer2: :cool1: :love: :bounce:

TiffJ
09-29-2005, 03:57 PM
Cam-you are definately a motivator. You and all the others on this board like you are what got me involved in this little adventure. I would have never even considered this before. I came to this board in an effort to get back on my healthy eating & exercise trek. I stumbled onto this thread and 2 days later I signed up. When I saw average people like me were doing this I thought "why couldn't I do that too" "Wouldnt that be cool to be able to say 'I did that!" I am so glad to be doing this and if there were only big dogs here I would have never thought it was in the realm of my possiblity to even try it. And another thing-how many of those 5k'ers do you think are training for a marathon? Probably not many.

I go through periods of "what have I signed up for?!" but mostly I am excited & proud to be a part of this whole experience. You guys help me thru the stonkers & celebrate my little :dog: victories. Although I think anyone who attempts this whether they walk, run or crawl is a BIG :dog: All I know is that on my 1st race I WASNT LAST!!!!!! And even if I was, someone has to be last and that person has just as much right to be there as whoever was 1st.

What to all these so called "professional runners" care if us little dogs are in the race. As long as we dont get in front of them it affects them in no way at all so they should just get over it & be happy. Maybe if they had a little more fat on their body like a normal person they wouldn't be so mean :)

O.k.- yet another soap box being jumped off now

Lisa loves Pooh
09-29-2005, 04:52 PM
WARNING: Rant Mode is definitely ON!!!!!

Lisa-- Your "laundry" really hit a nerve with me.

I'm glad to air this laundry even if you all didn't really want it in your face :p I have to get my courage up for Applefest and not be too self conscious of standing out like a beached whale among athletes :blush:

I've also read a very sad story of a woman who has lost 250 lbs and walked her first 5K only to get snickers and stares from some of the elites. That is so despicable .

OK, I'll stop ranting now!

Just for clarification---I was defending the any shape/any size and this woman could stuff her certification where the sun don't shine crowd. It weren't me who made the judgement. :blush:

Terrible that the elites are like that.

Oh--and YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!! We are all in the DAWG POUND!!!!! WOOF WOOF GIRLS!!!! We ROCK!!!!

MelRhoads
09-29-2005, 05:27 PM
TiffJ - I'm with you on the signing up so I could be part of something wonderful. I'm really looking forward to meeting all of these wonderfully inspirational athletes on this board!!

Cam - I think you did great on your 5k!!!! Most people can't even say they have done one! I think I may do a humane society furry friends run this weekend (if my legs will recover enough not to fall apart) I will have to push the boy because dh is on call. It seems like a pretty good cause and the boy would most likely be very entertained by running with all those dogs (big and little, literally!:rotfl: :rotfl: )

Liz - I'm so glad to see you post. I have been missing you!! Mostly, I wanted to let you know that your signature has MAJOR FLASH!!!!! :smooth:

As far as the soap box goes. I never finish in the front of the pack. In fact, I'm usually thrilled to be in the top half or to finish at all. Every race I ever enter, I usually am among the slower athletes, but it is always fun and I'm usually so proud I did it. I gain cherished memories and fun experiences out of it!!!!!

Speaking of fun memories, here is a link to some of the race photos from the adventure race (oops, it is at the bottom of the page)

P.S. If anyone wants to come to NW Arkansas for a free 20 mile trail run on October 29, bring it on!! You will not be looked at funny there. There are definitely some incredible athletes that do the trail run series, but they never seem to make fun of the slower ones (like me) and sometimes they have cake at that aid stations!!!!! The info is at runarkansas.com.
Adventure race pics (http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2120053057)

chimera
09-29-2005, 07:46 PM
I'd hop up on the soapbox too, but y'all have said everything very eloquently. I spend a fair amount of pre-race time looking for people at races that look like me instead of the elite runners at the front of the pack. And when someone asks my 5K time, I always feel like I have to qualify it with 'but I walk most of the race'. One day, I do hope to run an entire 5K, but I'm trying to remember to compete against myself instead of everyone else.

My whole family's been sick too, Lisa...must be some contagious computer virus ;) I skipped my Mon 'run' and did it on Tues instead then did the scheduled W3/R2. Apparently, I packed my shin splint for that run, cause I sure found it again. Still hurting today. I have 6 miles at W3/R1 scheduled for Sat, but with DD's soccer schedule looks like it will be Sunday instead.

Liz...great to see you back! Nice bling in the siggie :smooth:

MelR...wow...quite an adventure!

Tiff... :rotfl: ...my goal for every race is not to be last. Of course, if someone has to be last it might as well be me. I can take it :teeth: Now I've increased that to not being last in my age group. I was 4th from last in the past race ;)

Sunny, Cam...you guys are the bomb! You're both very motivating and inspirational. Actually, I have last year's WISH team to thank. If they hadn't looked like they were having so much fun training for 2005, I NEVER would have thought I could do this. I just never thought people actually walked these races.

Carrie...sorry I've been so absent lately. I owe you an email from wayback.

Christa, Susan...scary stuff. Y'all stay safe. DH is now pushing for me to get some mace, but I don't think I have enough space in my pockets for anything else ;)

Helen...great to see you back!

Just a reminder to get your votes in for the Trail's End dinner. I'm actually on hold with them right now to see how many people they can physically seat at once. ;) Been on hold for awhile now...maybe when I told her we needed space for about 70 people she fainted???

keenercam
09-29-2005, 09:16 PM
solotraveler -- I LOVE the way you flipped that reasoning! Thank you. It makes me feel better, to think someone else might get from me what you all give to me. That is GREAT!! It's kind of like paying it forward -- you guys motivate me, and I will do my best to motivate someone else!

Tiff - I am so psyched to meet the greatest bunch of average people ever to gather in one place, come January! We'll all help each other do our best and will be extraordinary for our comaraderie and passion! :goodvibes:

Mel -- Thank you so much on coordinating the Trails End dinner. I CANNOT wait to feel all the positive vibes in that room all at once!

Is anyone else getting more and more excited with each passing day? Heck, I can't even focus on Christmas because I keep looking right beyond it!

lizdotcom99
09-29-2005, 10:10 PM
:wave2: Me here!! Sorry I have been MIA as of late. I am in some sort of funk! Ah, this too shall pass! I ahve been eating better and even getting a little walking in.

I have been reading though and am always inspired by what everybody seems to be doing! Don't have much time but wante d to say:

Cam, as always, you rock! Wow! What a pace! Keep up the good work! You are well ahead of the sweeper truck.

Mel, thanks for thinking of me! You make me feel special.....and you are ALIVE!! Wow! What an experiance. There is no way I would have even thought of doing something half as crazy as that! You go girl! Enjoy your well deserved rest day!

Sunny, I can only hope that you NEVER challenge me to run with you!! :rotfl2: You and that IC chick just amaze me. I too have to say I can't believe your self consciousness. That just seems crazy to me. But ifi it makes you feel any better, I can tell you that is something I suffer with too. I honestly think I was the fattest person at the CDC....in some ways it felt good to be the fat one....and in other ways totally intimidating. Guess you just have know that you can do what you can do and that you have worked darn hard to do what you do. I would never in a million years challenge you to any physical activity....no matter how skinny I get :rotfl2: Wanna be teh fitness guru for the red team biggest challenge? We would love to have you and the IC stop by and whip us in to shape! :rotfl2:

Helen, welcome home!!! Sounds like you are already getting in that big :pug: mode!

Well, time is up for me. Gonna head to bed as I have a very early morning. I hope to stop in a bit more often and let you know I am still alive. Good to see so many training...a friend once told me before my attemt at a half marathon, you HAVE to put the steps in......don't tell her this, but she WAS right!!!

Keep training and getting those steps~~~ :banana: :banana: :banana:

chersheyb
09-30-2005, 04:59 AM
Help-
I am registered for the full in 2006 and I fell off the Train-ing this past week. My longest run was 7.2 miles in 1hour and 35 min. I will run tomorrow!!

If there is anyone else running the full as thier first full please help me motivate myself.

Thank you

chersheyb

plutosmyfav
09-30-2005, 07:16 AM
Just for clarification--- It weren't me who made the judgement. :blush:

Terrible that the elites are like that.

Oh I didn't think it was you!!!! I knew you were the defender not the offender:)

Also for clarification, I don't think the elites in general are like that, I think its the "one bad apple can spoil the whole bunch" sort of thing! I've ran with elites from my gym who welcome me with open arms! I think we need to be careful not to judge on either side of the fence!

I was quick to point out the negative encounters I've had, but mostly I get really good positive/encouraging comments from people. I'll focus on those instead :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

T.G.I.F.
Happy LR everyone :)

Sunny

chimera
09-30-2005, 07:29 AM
the greatest bunch of average people ever to gather in one place

I love that, Cam! Maybe we need two Tshirts ;)

Is anyone else getting more and more excited with each passing day? Heck, I can't even focus on Christmas because I keep looking right beyond it!

Yes! When I look at my ticker and see it's just over 3 months away...it's exciting and scary all at once!

Carrie...I meant to ask if you'd looked online for your ASICS. I get mine from roadrunnersports.com.

Krista...that game last weekend was a heartbreaker, but at least Craig is happy :) Take care of that ankle!

I'm supposed to cross-train today, but I'm home with the wild todd whose daycare is closed today and a sick DD12. Cross-training may involve going to get groceries ;)

wtpclc
09-30-2005, 07:32 AM
Help-
I am registered for the full in 2006 and I fell off the Train-ing this past week. My longest run was 7.2 miles in 1hour and 35 min. I will run tomorrow!!

If there is anyone else running the full as thier first full please help me motivate myself.

Thank you

chersheyb

Hey, I resemble that remark. ;) You are not far behind. We are scheduled to do a 9-miler on Saturday, but then we drop back to 6 the following week. I'd get at least 8 in this weekend if I were you, because I think there's a 10-miler lurking around the next bend.

It helps that I have dh pushing me and it's something we can do together. It's terribly daunting some days, though. I told dh last night tha twe would be on a plane 99 days from yesterday. He freaked. I started to say, "Yes, we will be runninga marathon 2 days after that." That was not the scary part to him, though. He said, "That means we will have finished all of our Christmas shopping and Christmas will already be over." Yikes! I don't knwo which one is scarier. However, running through WDW adn looking at that Mickey medal is somethign that I am sure that I will never forget!

Hang in there! We were doing nothing before we started training in March. Last weekend, we ran 8 miles! (Even when we started, we were only doing 4/1 w/r.) If we can come this far, you can take it from 7.2 now to the end. No more weeks off, though! ;)

princessmomma
09-30-2005, 07:47 AM
Help-

Thank you

chersheyb

This is my first marathon too. I am slotted for 9 today too, but want to try and do 11 miles. I REALLY don't feel like it and let my DH know about it too. He gave me the best advice. He said you just need to get the miles in anyway, anyhow! If you run 1 mile and then walk 1 mile, that is fine. You just need to get your body used to burning calories for that long of a time. Depleting your stores is important so next time you will be able to farther and longer. I hope this makes sense.

Long runs can be as slow as you need them to be. Slow and steady.

Liz, good to hear from you. I enjoy your posts and think about you often too.

Melissa, glad you survived the weekend!

Chilly here in NC, 58 F, which would be perfect running weather, but we have a little wind too!

Off for my 11 miles...

Colleen

Lisa loves Pooh
09-30-2005, 07:48 AM
Oh I didn't think it was you!!!! I knew you were the defender not the offender:)

Also for clarification, I don't think the elites in general are like that, I think its the "one bad apple can spoil the whole bunch" sort of thing! I've ran with elites from my gym who welcome me with open arms! I think we need to be careful not to judge on either side of the fence!

I was quick to point out the negative encounters I've had, but mostly I get really good positive/encouraging comments from people. I'll focus on those instead :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

T.G.I.F.
Happy LR everyone :)

Sunny

Aaaaahhhh....

Last point...difference between the "elite" and someone who is being "elitest". The ones who are being "elitest" are the means ones. Just because you are an "elite athlete", I agree---just means your really really really darn good at what you do. :smooth:

wtpclc
09-30-2005, 07:55 AM
Yay! Mel has an at home day, so she can play a little! Hope you're new job is going well!

Shoe dilema - My original ASICS were a little too short. My feet were hurting, so I really couldn't wait for mail order. I got new ones Wednesday. I'm afraid they slip too much in the heel, although they fit good in the store. If I do a lace lock, it feels to tight on the top of my foot. I'll see how tomorrow goes. I went 2 sixzes bigger and maybe I should have only gone one. DH will shoot me if I need another pair. :guilty: Oh, BTW, I got the 2100's. They only had the blue ones, but they're still pretty cool.

They are well broken in, though. I think the monsoon we ran through Wednesday helped with that. Some for the puddles on the bike path wer at least 4 inches deep.

Minnie
09-30-2005, 08:49 AM
Sorry for the above scream but I need HELP! Me the queen of a hundred questions has a major one.

Since my litteral pain in the hinny/knee has kept me sidelined I have been able to do absolutley no training. I'm now feeling a bit better and want to get out on the road. I thought I'd give a wog a trial this weekend and see how it goes. So question is where should I join my training plan (Jeff Galloway run/walk the 1/2) :confused3 The one I wanted to follow has 17 weeks and we ONLY have 14 weeks left :earseek:

This program would have me jumping in at 5 miles for this lr and then 6 next lr. Should I do this or am I risking reinjury? Is there a different program that might work better for me? I thought I read that the MFM plan has a shorter program (don't have the book) or am I going to have to give up on this year :worried: :sad:

aladdinsgirl
09-30-2005, 09:07 AM
Minnie--Don't give up!! MFM has plans on-line, go to www.waddleon.com. You'll see on the left hand side 3 races: Arizona, Columbus, and Chicago; if you click on them, there are training schedules for the half and full marathon. Arizona is a 14 week program, Columbus is a 13 week program, and Chicago is a 10 week program. Good luck!!

My ankle is feeling better, Stephen went to a running store and got me an ankle brace made for runners. I'm running a 5K tomorrow night, I'm not looking to set any PR's between my ankle and the course. The course is in downtown Cincinnati--very hilly, very steep hills and I've never run hills before. ARRGGHH!!!!!!!!!!!! :teeth:

Good luck everyone this weekend, especially on your LR's! Be careful and stay safe!

Krista princess:

chimera
09-30-2005, 09:11 AM
Minnie...MFM R/W the half is 14 weeks. What was your last long run before your injury? The MFM plan starts at a nice 3 mile long run the first week.

Hal Higdon also has a 12 week plan on his website halhigdon.com

If anyone's interested in Spring Break in FL, the inaugural Grouper Run will be on March 5,2006. Should be a pretty course along Sarasota Bay
2006 Grouper Run (http://www.sarasotamarathon.com)

I'm thinking about trying the half, but not sure how to do the training coming off Disney. Any suggestions from the big dogs? :dog2:

solotraveler
09-30-2005, 09:14 AM
Good morning all!

I did my 9-miler first thing this morning. The usual 3 run/2 walk pace. Wow was it chilly! Anyhow, I finished in 1:24:38, which averages out to 9:24/mile pace!! :banana: :banana: So that's roughly 23 miles this week total. Small wonder that I feel very sore at work here this morning! (but that's a good thing!) Next week is an "easier" week for me, but all of my intervals speed up, so I don't know about the "easier" part.

Keenercam- Glad I could help. :)

Carrie- Double digits! Seriously! :earseek: Looks like great running weather here for your 9-miler tomorrow though.

chersheyb- Deep breath-- you can do this thing! 7.2 miles in 1:35 is certainly nothing to shake a stick at. That's a very good base to start training from. I'd try to go ahead and get in 9. If you fall a little short, then that's OK. If you have to walk it, that's OK too. Just get the mileage in.

Minnie- Don't you dare think about quitting. After all we went through to get you to register?? No way are you giving up now. I might try walking your five miler this weekend. If you feel good enough to jog a little, go ahead-- but try and get those five miles on your legs. MFM I believe has a 14 week half plan (don't have the book in from of me). The run/walk or walk/run plans have timed sessions during the week and one long run on the weekend. Whether or not you put in less distance depends on your speed. Come on everyone--- time to rally around Minnie :grouphug:

I will be driving up to Ottawa to visit a friend after work Saturday and I'll be back in MI sometime late Tuesday. So I will be on and offline during that period.

Happy training everyone!

keenercam
09-30-2005, 09:24 AM
Come on, Minnie! You can do this. Definitely check out John Bingham's website. 14 weeks is still a good amount of time to train. :cheer2: You can do this!!!!!!

Solotraveler -- 9 miles! On a weekday? I am so impressed.

Krista -- so glad your ankle is feeling a bit better. Your DH sounds like such a sweetie, taking such good care of you. :lovestruc Please be soooo careful on the hilly course. Hills are tough on healthy ankles -- don't push too hard and be sure to slow down a bit if you are feeling any twinges. We definitely do not want you sidelined. Sending you :goodvibes: and :wizard: for a wonderful time!

wtpclc
09-30-2005, 09:58 AM
Minnie - IIRC the first long r/w/wog of the MFM training fo rthe half is 2 miles. I know you were doing more than that before. Just get it in. If you have to walk, fine. If I were you, I'd get the mileage in and spend about 20 minutes in a cold tub. Don't push it too hard and wakl if you hurt, but I know you can do it! Solo's right, we put too much work into you signing up to have you quit now. ;) :cheer2: :grouphug:

solo - I was cold for my 45 min last night. Wow! BTW, smart choice not running in the monsoon Wed. Can I tell you how much it hurts my pride that you finished 9 miles in the time it took me to do 8 last weekend?? :earboy2: Have a good trip!

This is my first marathon too. I am slotted for 9 today too, but want to try and do 11 miles.
You need to have your head examined! That's great that you're feeling that good, though!

Have a great weekend all! Thanks for being here! LIke many others, I would not be here without all of you!

princessmomma
09-30-2005, 10:25 AM
You need to have your head examined! That's great that you're feeling that good, though!

Yes, Carrie, I know! I am adjusting the MFM run marathon program a bit so I get two 20 mile runs in before the marathon. But, I did it. Felt terrible when I walked out the door, but the temperature was perfect and I got into a zone and off I went. 11 miles in 1:50:49, just over a 10 minute mile.

Now off to stretch and a cool bath.

Colleen

wtpclc
09-30-2005, 11:01 AM
11 miles in 1:50:49, just over a 10 minute mile.

:worship:

keenercam
09-30-2005, 11:15 AM
:worship:

Yeah, what she said! OMG. You really are a BIG :dog2: Colleen! Congratulations!

gatorphipps
09-30-2005, 11:50 AM
OK! How is everyone doing? It looks like great! I did read that some are discouraged. Don't be! YOU CAN DO THIS!! Just think about the goal and how great you will feel when you meeet it. :cool1: :banana: :cheer2:

Finished LR of 10 miles today. We start @ 0800 (Down town Charlotte) so have to stop for alot of traffic. I do not take off for that but figure I would have to take off around 7 to 10 min. (We tried to time the stopps and this is what we came up with.) We finished with an ave of 10 min miles (this includes stops for traffic). If I take off for the traffic it would be more like 9:20 min miles. Pretty good I guess. That is a little slower than my race pace so I figure it is right.
Good luck to all you who do your LRs tomorrow. I have a team running the race for the cure. :cool1: We are called Psalm 118: 16 - 17. It was my mother's verse she claimed when she had cancer. It says;
"The right hand of the LORD is exalted;
The right hand of the LORD does valiantly.
I shall not die, but live, and declare the works of the LORD."
And she did live! :love: :love: :love: So I run for her!
Happy Days,
Christa

wtpclc
09-30-2005, 12:03 PM
And she did live! :love: :love: :love: So I run for her!

That's awsome Christa! Have a great run!

plutosmyfav
09-30-2005, 12:41 PM
Liz-- so good to see you posting! I seemed to have missed your post when I signed on earlier today. Thank you so much for the kind words of encouragement :grouphug: I guess it really is all relative. I am never intimidated at the gym! I'm rooting for your Red Team :cheer2: Woo Hoo!

Colleen-- Great mileage :cheer2: and great pace!

Christa-- Wow :earseek: what's your race pace? You FLY!!!! What's the difference between your typical LR pace and race pace?

MelR-- great pics! You have quite a big smile for 4:30AM!!!!

I did upper body weights today but that is it. The rest of the day will be rest. I messed up big time on my shoes. I have a pair of Asics Cumulus still in the box never worn, a pair of Cumulus that have at least 500 miles on them and another style of Asics I've been wearing for short runs but won't wear for long runs. (I don't know why I bought them, I only wear Cumulus!). TOMORROW'S MY HALF! None of those shoes are "optimal" for race day. I don't know how I managed to forget to break in the new shoes :confused3 I think my best bet is to wear the high mileage Asics. I'm just concerned about the long stretch of downhill. Too much pounding. I better plan better for WDW!

Sunny

chimera
09-30-2005, 01:11 PM
New website to checkout http://www.irongirl.com. I'll add it to our regular list.

they're sponsoring women's only races in Tampa next month. The info on the Tampa race says they put your name on your race bib so people can cheer for you. And they have awards for the top mother-daughter teams. Looks pretty cool!

TXBelle
09-30-2005, 01:32 PM
Christa- Tomorrow I am running the Race for the Cure in Houston. I am running in honor of a friend, and now I will run in your mother's honor as well. :wizard:

princessmomma
09-30-2005, 03:45 PM
Thanks for your encouragement team!! I have to admit, I did feel pretty spent this afternoon. I need to ice my knees and hipflexor...boy am I hungry!!

Txbelle, good luck with your race tomorrow!

Sunny, you too! Good luck with the half, I know you will do great!

Colleen

wtpclc
09-30-2005, 03:49 PM
Heather and Sunny - Good luck tomorrow!

Happy thoughts for everyons lr tomorrow!

MelRhoads
09-30-2005, 04:00 PM
Clearly I have too much time on my hands during my rest day! I have done laundry, done my Bible study, driven to Fayetteville to let the boy pick our a buzz lightyear costume (which he was sooooo proud of!) and surfed the internet for race reports from our recent adventure race. I wanted to read about the other teams experiences and find our where and why some teams dropped out. Anyway, in the process, I learned that one of the racers (female) had recently competed in a "bare buns fun run!", so I had to search deeper. I have now, unfortunatley, learned that there is a whole series of nude races. I think it is quite funny! It looks like florida is hosting one soon! I'm thinking that is one adventure I will have to skip, but I had no idea of all of the variations of the sport!!! :rotfl: :rotfl2:

zoegirl
09-30-2005, 04:34 PM
I have now, unfortunatley, learned that there is a whole series of nude races. I think it is quite funny! It looks like florida is hosting one soon! I'm thinking that is one adventure I will have to skip, but I had no idea of all of the variations of the sport!!! :rotfl: :rotfl2:

Good Grief, now I have heard it all!!! Naked racing??? That is just sick, all kinds of parts dangling around.... :sick: Not a site I'd want to see...
We did our 10 mile run this morning. Christa needed to finish quickly to get to her daughter's school for a function so we tore the pavement up. I don't remember the last time we were that motivated to get a run finished. I did 10 in about 1:40 or so (as she said there is rush hour traffic that time of morning so we take a couple minutes off when we have to wait at lights etc.) she finished a couple minutes ahead of me as I opted to take one last walk break before finishing up a hill.

Mel - you mentioned in a post today that you'd like to do a half in March, I think it was? I think you'll be fine. You will have your mileage built up from running the race in January, so take a rest break the week after disney then just keep up at least 8 to 10 miles once a month until the race in March. Others may say different but that's what my FIL tells us to do if we want to run two full marathons a month or so apart (he tells us to run at least 20 miles once a month). He's run over 80 marathons so I tend to listen to him ;)

Anyway, must go for now, I'm at work and can't play on the net anymore today. :)

~Bree~

TiffJ
09-30-2005, 07:16 PM
O.k. Minnie here it comes the "if I can do it anybody can" speach. Really I am a former couch potato turned racer. The MFM plan is 14 weeks so you can do it in time. DON'T GIVE UP!!!! Just think of being able to proudly wear that t-shirt & how impressive to be able to say "I did that!"

Today was my 30 min wog. I did 2 miles(not incl warm up & cool down) and avg a 13:51 pace!!!! (and I know this thanks to my very cool Garmin) Woo Hoo I was so excited. I have been feeling kinds puney (dont know how to spell that) this week so I have been just going through the motions. Today the weather was perfect & I felt great so I pushed myself and it was worth it.
Tomorrow is XT , I do my LR on Sun when we are less busy.

I am doing the race for the cure on 10/15. It is a big event here & should be alot of fun.

I am getting so excited the closer it gets too. That excitement and pure "uh oh it isnt that far off" helps for me to push myself & get off the couch.

Everyone keep up the good work. You are all doing great!

Calcio
09-30-2005, 07:22 PM
Sorry about being a little behind on this topic, but my weeks are pretty busy these days.

Anyway . . .

As posted by Lisa, please, please, please be sure to remember the difference between the elites and the elitest.

Your thread is similar to what I told my daughter one day during her high school years. During the summer I would play soccer in the evenings with the varsity men at our College, and I asked Lesley to come along. Her first reaction was, "I'm not nearly good enough to play with those guys." Well, true, but completely false (I was in my early 40's, and I wasn't up to their level any more either). I told Lesley that the guys all know she is a player, and to anyone who loves to play soccer, all players are respected, and all players are welcome on the pitch. Sure, there are enormous differences in ability and skill, but a player is a player. Young or old, male or female, and they are all welcome. She bucked up the courage to step onto the field with men and learned that sure, she wasn't nearly the player they were, but regardless of that, they welcomed her on the field, and treated her like any other player. In fact, one of our players ran right over her, and they both went down in a heap. When they both got up laughing I knew I had won this one. A player is a player. In my parenting career, that was one of the lessons that seemed to stick. If you work, try, and have the courage to step out there, the good folks are glad to have you. I cannot tell you the pride I felt being on the pitch, playing a game I love with the girl I adore, because she had the guts to try.

I've had the pleasure to run in a few events with elite runners, and it was a thrill. I'm sure they didn't worry about me, and I sure didn't worry about them, but we both did the training and ran the race. Perhaps my biggest thrill in running was an out and back 15K over 20 years ago which I finished sub-60 minutes. I was flying by my own internal clock, about 6:20 per mile, and I'll be damned if I wasn't at about mile 3.7 when the fast guys came back past me, at about mile 5.5. All I could think of was "WOW."

First, remember that the really, really fast runners will not be at Disney. Not enough $ and status. Second, remember that the vast majority of runners are folks like us. Third, remember that many, many of the runners will be doing this for the first time. I, for example, will do my first ever full marathon on January 8. Am I apprehensive? You bet. Am I worried about what people think of me? Absolutely not, as I'm facing the same training and race distance as the other runners. Am I glad to have a lot of folks like me out there? You bet again.

Anyone who make a smart *** comment is a fool. I'd be surprised if 1% of the runners in January, or at any other race are fools. The rest of us welcome anyone, and RESPECT ANYONE who has done the work to get to the starting line.

Finally, sorry about the length of my rant, remember that the race is the fun part. The training for weeks and months in advance is sometimes fun and sometimes a terrible strain, but the race is your reward. Enjoy every step of the race, because YOU DID THE WORK to get to the start.

11 tomorrow morning, and I wasn't at this point until early December last year. I can hardly wait for January 7 and 8.

Cheers to all.

Craig

Tiger Lily 03
09-30-2005, 09:25 PM
Happy Friday everyone!

I am trying to catch up my reading and hope to figure out what everyone has been doing.

I am really enjoying the ENERGY of the topic this week! We all belong and the party is where we are for sure. Let the others be what they will. They wish, we WISH!
No, Liz. You cannot have my Garmin. ;) If I could I would give you one, but I cannot part with it. If I could I would give one to all my WISH teammates! I really like that toy.

MelR, I’m still tired from your adventure. Hope you got in some rest. It would take me a lifetime to recover. Thanks for sharing your pics.

Good to see so many training...a friend once told me before my attempt at a half marathon, you HAVE to put the steps in......don't tell her this, but she WAS right!!!

Keep training and getting those steps~~~ :banana: :banana: :banana:What a smart friend to have said that.

Help-

If there is anyone else running the full as their first full please help me motivate myself. Wow! That pace is just fine. (13.19444) min/mi is doing better than the minimum required pace. YOU ARE DOING IT! Keep up the great work. I will be behind you.

the greatest bunch of average people ever to gather in one place I like this too.

Minnie, You can do it! MFM is your answer. Be a penguin with me. Don’t worry, you have time, just don’t overdo it with trying for too much speed this week. Build back up slowly. Press as you can, but not to much. You will not be sorry if you continue. You will do it!

Craig, you always have such great things to say. Thank you for your gift.

As far as not being last, I will be last for us. I don’t mind. I just want to complete the event within time.

Now that I have read up this week’s events. I am ready for my lr tomorrow. Thank you everyone for your input. You keep me going.

Thunder, thunder, thunderation!
We’re the WISH group delegation.
When we move with determination,
We create a GREAT sensation!

TEK224
09-30-2005, 10:48 PM
I'll be attempting (no, make that doing) my first marathon at WDW in Jan. Not only that, but I'm doing the 1/2 for the Goofy, also. It's my first half, also.

While I wasn't a couch potato, I definately wasn't an endurance athlete either. In fact, I really didn't start training until July. I'm wa-a-ay behind those of you who are up to 10-11 miles now.

I figure I gave myself this challenge and I'll be successful if I finsh both races. Slow and steady is how I'm approaching it. When I have to walk, I will. And when I can run, I will.

I'm looking at these races as fun and the first of many more to come. :)

Terri

Tiger Lily 03
10-01-2005, 10:57 AM
Hi WISH Team!

Terri! You go! Sounds like a great attitude. Keep at it and who knows, maybe we'll be making it down that Goofy path together. I'm reserving my attempt as time gets closer. I am registered for both, but really have the full marathon as my primary goal. Registered for the half as an "insurance" plan and my DS asked if I would go with him. Will be dependant on many things and I won't know until I get there that weekend how I will feel about it all.

I'm back, coffee and oatmeal refreshed. I did 9.5 miles started out later than I have been when I meet up with the group, I am going to miss that our group obligation is over and today I was all alone. Saw tons of birdies making lots of noise in the tree tops gathering to move on their migration path, many deer, squirrels, chipmonks, I am at peace. Now to hit the grind...

MelRhoads
10-01-2005, 12:57 PM
Since my main man had to work this morning, I took the boy and we ran in the furry friends 5k (benefiting the humane society for animals). I thought he would enjoy seeing all of dogs. I let him run across the finish line with me. Of course, he HAD to beat me. I actually had to stop with the finish line in sight, pull the jogger of the course, unbuckle him and then hold his hand so that he could run the finish line. It was a very small race with tons of goodies! I came home with a whole pack of zone bars, a bunch of rice crispy treats and other cool stuff. The shirt was good too. The best part was that me and the boy placed 2nd in my age range. Not that I ran very fast, but there was noone there. I do think the gal that placed 3rd was a little put out that we beat her (it was just by a few seconds), but she got over it when she won the free xm sattelite radio!!!!!

Hope everyone has good races this weekend - Christa, Bree, Heather and everyone doing the races for the cure and Sunny at the 1/2! :wizard: :wizard:

gatorphipps
10-01-2005, 02:01 PM
Hey all! Did the Race For The Cure today. Was so great!!! Finished in 1:09. :sunny: This is the slowest pace I have ever gone, but the most rewarding. I was the team leader and walked with my mom, sis, dad, DH, BIL, and best friend (who I went with her to all her chemo treatments - she is only 37 - was 36 when she discovered her lump in her breast.) We laughed, talked, and took everything in the whole way. :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc Then we went to the post race party and got a ton of goodies, including this BIG tupperware thing that holds cereal. We had so much fun. I have now talked my sis into doing a 1/2 marathon with me in March. :cheer2:
Have a great day all!
Christa

princessmomma
10-01-2005, 02:12 PM
Hey all! Did the Race For The Cure today. Was so great!!! Finished in 1:09. :sunny: This is the slowest pace I have ever gone, but the most rewarding. Christa

Christa, sounds like you had a great morning! :flower: :flower:

Melissa, congratulations on your race with the boy! Love it when you call him that. Love those post race goodies!

Colleen

xterratri
10-01-2005, 02:46 PM
Race for the Cure Central FL
Okay, now that I've got your attention, this race is next Saturday(Oct 8th) morning at Animal Kingdom. The course actually goes through the park and it's for a great cause. The biggest race entry wise we've ever done was Race for Cure in Philadelphia with 40000 people. The Syracuse one had grown to over 7000 the last time we did that one(it's Mother's Day weekend and we started going to Ottawa for the National Capital race weekend with races ranging from 3k to 42 k or 26.2 miles for the metric impaired and now those races have been moved to Memorial day weekend.) Grandma, mom's(NyCPA) mom, is a 7 year survivor and we know a ton of other people that have been affected by breast cancer too.

While I was at packet pickup for the half tomorrow, I picked up a race entry form for a 10 mile race called the 25th annual Mid-Winter 10 mile classic that's being held Feb 5th. Since it's the 25th running of it, apparently there are other idiots here in ME too. It's not like we're in FL or TX- this is Maine. I'll probably sign up for it to keep myself running through the winter. Anyone have any suggestions for an April marathon since the likelyhood of my running a Boston qualifying time is small?

Speaking of small world, anyone seen the November Runner's World? When I ran cross country my senior year of high school, Jenn Rhines and I were the 2 athletes that our coach knew for a fact lived out of district since we both lived in Oswego cty. Her dad taught in district and I wasn't willing to transfer for my senior year of high school. We ran on the same team but definitely not in the same league as she was national class even as a sophmore in high school and I was running mostly because I was irritated with the soccer coaches at that school after they made the cuts for the U-16 ODP team. I felt like I didn't have a fair chance because I wasn't an athlete that had played for them for the past 10 years so I didn't go out for the high school team. Ahh the logic of teen agers. Actually that was the year that I discovered I liked 2 things about running- LSD(long slow distance, not the hallucinogenic although sometimes...) and trail running and preferred combining the 2.

Good luck everyone with your racing or training. Time to get back to sleep, the objectives that is, as I'm writing up the ones for insomnia, sleep apnea, narcolepsy, and parasomnias. Actually by following the training plan with the taper for the race, I practically bouncing so hopefully it translates into a good run in the morning. Nathalie(another Army HPSPer) and I have ran together at least once a week since coming back from OBC in TX this summer and we ran fast on Weds and it felt good. We slowed because she needed to, not me. It's fun to make Nat work as she is 9 years younger than I am.

TXBelle
10-01-2005, 05:31 PM
The Race for the Cure was great! We had over 34,000 participants in Houston. I walked with a friend of mine. The time was not great (52:10) because it took almost 2 miles to make our way around the tons of people in front of us. It was incredible to see all of the breast cancer survivors, young and old. It really is a disease that affects everyone. I am thinking of asking friends for pledges for the 1/2 marathon to benefit the Susan Komen Cancer Foundation, Houston Chapter.

NYcpa
10-01-2005, 07:38 PM
I jumped in the MFM training at the long walk for week 3. I only completed 3.75 miles of the 4 because someone forgot to start their garmin :(. I walked it in 60 min. Not fast enough to finish ahead of the sweepers but I have time to build up speed. I decided to start with week 3 long walk because I very seldom walk less than 3 miles when I decide to go out and actually do it.

For those of you who like the Asics, I have an almost brand new pair (worn once for an evening at the mall) which don't fit right with my new orthodics. They are too cushioned and my feet wobble all over the place. I went to Fleet Feet and got fitted to Brooks Radius 05. They have more stability and work well with my orthodics. The Asics are a size 8 Gel Cumulus and have purple trim. If anyone is interested in them PM me and I will get back to you.

I will have to do my training next week on the treadmill since I will be on Long Island, living in the motel and working again. They have a pretty decent ftness room with brand new equipment. The training from Friday to Monday will be done at WDW. The sacrafices we have to make to get our training in.:rotfl::rotfl:

chimera
10-02-2005, 07:44 AM
Come join us for a new week!

Week of Oct 2 - 2006 Half-Full Marathon Info/Training Thread (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=10117687#post10117687)